Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

Right-o. As this'll be a campaign lasting for a minimum of three months/six fixtures I suppose we may as well get it started!

When's the draw?

After the conclusion of the two qualifying rounds that. we. don't. have. to. play. and. West. Ham. effing. well. do.

Beautiful.

A lot still to be decided obviously but there are a few tasty looking potential opponents.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016%E2%80%9317_UEFA_Europa_League

Inter, Zenit, Bilbao, Feyenoord and Shalke definitely in the groups. Fiorentina in the 3rd round playoff.

Potential teams to avoid? Zorya are in the groups and the first qualy round has 3 potential trips to both Kazakhstan or the Faroe Islands.

Right-o. As this'll be a campaign lasting for a minimum of three months/six fixtures I suppose we may as well get it started!

When's the draw?

As a reminder:

Draw date 26th August

Match dates:

15th September

29th September

20th October

3rd November

24th November

8th December

Hoping we're second tier or I doubt we hav a chance getting into the knockouts (yes I'm thinking that far ahead!) I'd love to get Inter or Feyernood with a couple of sh1tty other teams with them!

When's the draw?

Is this replacing the thread created on 9 April or the one created on 5 May ;-). Maybe someone could merge them all ...

I guess its going to be real hard to get tickets. With 3 away games will that mean more people get a chance or will priority be given to those who went to the first game. I fear a lot of disappointed fans either way

I guess its going to be real hard to get tickets. With 3 away games will that mean more people get a chance or will priority be given to those who went to the first game. I fear a lot of disappointed fans either way

Tickets should be easier to obtain than last season. Bigger stadia, bigger allocations, especially if we're drawn/seeded in the third tier.

Edited by shurlock

I will lose my **** if we draw Inter!!

Please!!!

Yes, plenty of flights too, with two airports plus Ryanair's version (Bergamo), which is actually well served by coaches.

Bilbao is another place I fancy: port city, good food, although don't think the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry operates at that time of year. Just as well with the gales in Biscay, the alternative may be this:

Tickets should be easier to obtain than last season. Bigger stadia, bigger allocations, especially if we're drawn/seeded in the third tier.

Yeah will make a big difference. I agree we'll be 2nd or 3rd pot of seeds so would get one big (ish) name , I'd like Bilbao or Milan.

Nice and Lille would be handy to get to, Hertha Berlin or Schalke would be good as well.

Hopefully get a minnow as 4th tier game. Hearts or Aberdeen if they somehow make it would be good.

Yes, plenty of flights too, with two airports plus Ryanair's version (Bergamo), which is actually well served by coaches.

Bilbao is another place I fancy: port city, good food, although don't think the Portsmouth/Bilbao ferry operates at that time of year. Just as well with the gales in Biscay, the alternative may be this:

Both the Bilbao and Santander routes finish after the beginning of November. I might have to get my bike out.

Another key factor compared to last season is we can have a proper pre-season and can start planning now to resource for the first half of the season without the uncertainty of qualifiers.

The club should do a mini season ticket for the 3 group home games.

A proper run in Europe - awesome. Would love a trip to Milan or Bilbao - that would be special.

But the main thing for me is that we have a normal pre-season now, none of these pre-qualifier things. We're in the real thing at last!

Opinions please.

Do You think us qualifying will attract better players and how much do you reckon this extra income will bring the club now?

The Europa league isn't about finances, it's minuscule to be honest. To be honest it's more for the fans - we get to experience new places, travel europe with our local club. I don't think EL makes much difference to players incoming or finances, it's just a good opportunity to grow the club long-term and potentially make the move to CL football - which is where the money and extra status really comes in.

Prize money is:

Base fee of 2.4m euros for being in group stage

360k for a win and 120k for a draw

500k if win group

250k if runner up

Then varying stages of elimination from 500k to 6.5m to winners

No idea what BT showing every game contributes

The Europa league isn't about finances, it's minuscule to be honest. To be honest it's more for the fans - we get to experience new places, travel europe with our local club. I don't think EL makes much difference to players incoming or finances, it's just a good opportunity to grow the club long-term and potentially make the move to CL football - which is where the money and extra status really comes in.

However, being in the EL can only be good for RK's team strengthening plans -and his ongoing contractual negotiations.

I very much doubt that any listing is fixed at this point. It probably won't be finalised until after the qualifying rounds.

Only 16 of the 48 teams which will participate in the groups have so far been confirmed, i.e. the ones good enough not to have to play any qualifiers. I can't imagine us being in the bottom pot when the likes of SS Folgore, Kapaz PFK and Infonet Tallinn join the party.

We won't be in the top tier of seeded teams, so there's a chance we'll get them. I assume we'll be in the 2nd or 3rd tier for the draw.

Of the 13 clubs who have already qualified for the group stage, our coefficient is 10th highest. When all is said an done it would have to be in the top 12 to be seeded in the first pot and the top 24 to be seeded in the second pot. I think the third pot is likely.

Opinions please.

Do You think us qualifying will attract better players and how much do you reckon this extra income will bring the club now?

It should attract better players but our big Premier League Money does that as well. It might help us if we are trying to sign the same player as Everton.

40 pounds per ticket per game would generate something short of 4 million pounds.

We get 2.4 million euros for the group stage plus 360K Euros for each win and 180K Euros for each draw. There are additional bonuses for winning the group and participating in each knockout round. There is also the market pool money which is based upon some arcane calculation that depends on English TV money and the performances of other English clubs in Europe and where clubs finished in the standings.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/europa-league-prize-money/

http://www.ecaeurope.com/PageFiles/7970/ECA-UEFA%20Memorandum%20of%20Understanding_FINANCIALS.pdf

I don't think it is possible to know that yet. Also, had we reached the group stage last year we would have been in the third pot.

Do you know the coefficients that corresponded with each pot last year?

No and very little. In the grand scheme of things, EL prize and TV money is tiny.

Until UEFA resolve the inequality (yeah right) it will always be the exposure that will benefit the club most. Brand management and all that will lead to other things... More PL TV games, sponsors etc

Two Istanbul teams? As Turkish champions, don't Besiktas have a shot at the early stages of the Champions League, and Fenerbahce go into the EL Group stages. God forbid Konya who finished 3rd get into the EL as that is one place to avoid…we want 3 big teams with big stadiums and good connections so as many saints fans a s possible can have a chance to taste the European Tour.

We will most definitely be in Pot 3. In recent years, all the group stage debutants from the top 4 european nations (Torino, Augsburg etc.) have gone straight into that pot.

Which means we may be able to avoid some nastier trips to Ukraine/Russia/Turkey, however we will have to hope that Pot 4 includes a few nice teams from Scandinavia or some Central european nation so that the whole thing doesn't become a pain. While there were two Azeri teams there last year, that pot also included clubs like Sion, Molde, Midtjylland (cough, cough) and Groningen, so one can hope that this year it will be the same and we can draw one of those!

Based on past years, my favourite group would be:

-Pot 1: A team from another top 4 nation (I'd say Germany for a decent away fan atmosphere)

-Pot 2: Another top 4 nation or any team from Western/Central Europe

-Pot 4: Team from lower-ranking W/C Europe, Scandinavia or in worse case scenario Greece or the Baltics (we can probably field a younger/weaker side there, so let's hope it's either the first or a last, irrelevant game)

On the financial side, a guaranteed fee of £2.4m for 6 games plus performance bonus' and share of gate money, should seem worth having but have we become so used to the multi-millions of pounds sloshing round in Premier League football, that just a few million here or there makes no difference any more? We could buy a player this summer for £12m - £15m who might flop (step forward Ramirez or Osvaldo) and we lose most of that fee but carry on regardless. I'm just not sure that this should make the club turn its nose up at 2 or 3 million.

On the financial side, a guaranteed fee of £2.4m for 6 games plus performance bonus' and share of gate money, should seem worth having but have we become so used to the multi-millions of pounds sloshing round in Premier League football, that just a few million here or there makes no difference any more? We could buy a player this summer for £12m - £15m who might flop (step forward Ramirez or Osvaldo) and we lose most of that fee but carry on regardless. I'm just not sure that this should make the club turn its nose up at 2 or 3 million.

It is € not £ btw.

Seville made nearly €20m from winning in 2015

Best thing is it will have no impact on our pre-season, we should have played 2-3 PL games before the 1st one so should be up and running.

Would love a Bilbao or Milan that would be excellent, though really an easy group is preferable because we have the best chance of progressing. Let's be honest if a Liverpool, who have just finished two places below us, and a team that finished 7th in Spain and didn't manage an away win all year in their league can get to the final, there is no reason we can't.

We will most definitely be in Pot 3. In recent years, all the group stage debutants from the top 4 european nations (Torino, Augsburg etc.) have gone straight into that pot.

Which means we may be able to avoid some nastier trips to Ukraine/Russia/Turkey, however we will have to hope that Pot 4 includes a few nice teams from Scandinavia or some Central european nation so that the whole thing doesn't become a pain. While there were two Azeri teams there last year, that pot also included clubs like Sion, Molde, Midtjylland (cough, cough) and Groningen, so one can hope that this year it will be the same and we can draw one of those!

Based on past years, my favourite group would be:

-Pot 1: A team from another top 4 nation (I'd say Germany for a decent away fan atmosphere)

-Pot 2: Another top 4 nation or any team from Western/Central Europe

-Pot 4: Team from lower-ranking W/C Europe, Scandinavia or in worse case scenario Greece or the Baltics (we can probably field a younger/weaker side there, so let's hope it's either the first or a last, irrelevant game)

Speak for yourself. I want a Russia/Kazakhstan/Serbia sort of trip.

No and very little. In the grand scheme of things, EL prize and TV money is tiny.

Its not as tiny as it used to be. Winners (if from England, Spain, Germany or Italy) can earn 25m euros. 2.4m euros guaranteed for Group Stage entrants, plus 360k per win, and 120k per draw prize money, and there is TV money on top of that (proportionally higher for teams from the Big 4 countries, the overall pot is 152m euros, on top of prize money). This is based on 2015/6 figures, which were agreed for 3 years.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/europa-league-prize-money/

OK small fry compared to the PL, but guaranteed 2.4m (thats 2.2m more than West Ham are guaranteed, so thank you Man U).