Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

i think that is fair statement in England, but not abroad, i know Fulham fans who were attacked on the metro going to FC Twente away, and Spurs have had quite a few occassions;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10411146/Italian-football-hooligans-jailed-for-unprovoked-attack-on-Tottenham-Hotspur-fans-in-Rome.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/tottenham-fans-attacked-in-brussels-pub-ahead-of-spurs-vs-anderlecht-after-belgians-threw-bricks-and-a6704106.html

What happened to some England fans in Marseille as well is a good example.

for "nice" trips should hope for;

Athletic Club Bilbao (ESP) 75.142

Braga (POR) 43.116

Dundalk (IRL) 2.590

"We're not in Kansas anymore" in the UK we're inoffensive Saints, only Pompey are bothered about us. In Europe we're another English club - i.e. a challenge for any local nutters to prove themselves against. Russia and Turkey will be hostile, but other places may well be lively too.

Spoke to some Everton fans a couple of years ago - they said Greece was very lively - hotels used by them getting smashed up by locals, it also kicked off in Lille http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-everton-fans-speak-being-7983350 - all sounded fairly one-sided.

Pot 2 is pretty boring for me. Only Roma and Steaua I'd be determined to go. Maybe Fenerbache.

Pot 4 only Nice and Sassuolo I'd not be bothered about going.

Dream group: Inter, Steaua, Astana

Boring Group: Plzen, Salzburg, Sassuolo

Airmiles group: Zenit, Fenerbache, Astana

Closest group: Anderlecht, Alkmarr, Dundalk

"We're not in Kansas anymore" in the UK we're inoffensive Saints, only Pompey are bothered about us. In Europe we're another English club - i.e. a challenge for any local nutters to prove themselves against. Russia and Turkey will be hostile, but other places may well be lively too.

Spoke to some Everton fans a couple of years ago - they said Greece was very lively - hotels used by them getting smashed up by locals, it also kicked off in Lille http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/watch-everton-fans-speak-being-7983350 - all sounded fairly one-sided.

I've literally just spent 3 days in Lille watching football, if you want to avoid it, it's easy to avoid it.

i think that is fair statement in England, but not abroad, i know Fulham fans who were attacked on the metro going to FC Twente away, and Spurs have had quite a few occassions;

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/tottenham-hotspur/10411146/Italian-football-hooligans-jailed-for-unprovoked-attack-on-Tottenham-Hotspur-fans-in-Rome.html

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/european/tottenham-fans-attacked-in-brussels-pub-ahead-of-spurs-vs-anderlecht-after-belgians-threw-bricks-and-a6704106.html

What happened to some England fans in Marseille as well is a good example.

for "nice" trips should hope for;

Athletic Club Bilbao (ESP) 75.142

Braga (POR) 43.116

Dundalk (IRL) 2.590

You're wasting time engaging with that lunatic.

What?! Beer, Mozart (and Brahms and Liszt too!) and Reggio Emiliano food? There's something good everywhere..

Plzen would be fun, Salzburg was amazing when I went last year, Sassuolo will be a laugh just because it's Italy and it isn't a big city.

Lol I was only joking. Really appreciate the work you've put in. I'm off tomorrow so I might look at it in the morning

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Someone else did capacities last year. There will be a load of other information that comes out when people have done their research too.

Lively??? Is that the new PC word for "violent".

FFS...what utter ****s.

It's a sad state of affairs but I can't see how (apart from winning it and qualifying for the Champions League) an EL campaign will be good for the club this season.

From a financial point of view, the EL is pointless. Less than £10M earned by the winners compared to £97M for finishing bottom in the Premier League this season! Currently our squad is not as strong as last season and I fear a long EL campaign risks getting us involved in a relegation scrap.

It comes down to what you want to get out of supporting Saints, my heart wants a great EL run with hopes of getting to the final but my head says we're better off going out in the group stages and/or playing reserve sides.

Pot 2 is pretty boring for me. Only Roma and Steaua I'd be determined to go. Maybe Fenerbache.

Pot 4 only Nice and Sassuolo I'd not be bothered about going.

Dream group: Inter, Steaua, Astana

Boring Group: Plzen, Salzburg, Sassuolo

Airmiles group: Zenit, Fenerbache, Astana

Closest group: Anderlecht, Alkmarr, Dundalk

Pot 2 pretty boring?

When have we played these teams enough to make it boring?

It's a sad state of affairs but I can't see how (apart from winning it and qualifying for the Champions League) an EL campaign will be good for the club this season.

From a financial point of view, the EL is pointless. Less than £10M earned by the winners compared to £97M for finishing bottom in the Premier League this season! Currently our squad is not as strong as last season and I fear a long EL campaign risks getting us involved in a relegation scrap.

It comes down to what you want to get out of supporting Saints, my heart wants a great EL run with hopes of getting to the final but my head says we're better off going out in the group stages and/or playing reserve sides.

We worked hard to finish where we did. In my 25 years of following Saints we've had the one tie against Steaua and then last season's disaster against Midgetland.

I am massively excited about the Europa league, the Prem can take a backseat this year if we take the EL seriously. What's the point in finishing 7th and then not going for it? May as well finish 17th with that attitude.The kids can be used in the League Cup. Really looking forward to the draw, looks to be some stronger sides than usual in it to me, but maybe I'm just nervous about the draw. Either way, we are more than capable of beating every side in it.

Wonder if we might get a signing announcement to tie in with the draw today?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Spoken like someone who doesn't go to away games.

Greece was very bad when I went there to watch England. Being in some grotty ****-hole part of Athens is very different to the nice Tavernas etc you visit on holiday.

I'm too much of a pussy to enjoy anywhere too fighty, think my first choice would be:

Milan

Prague

Dundalk

Edited by aintforever

We worked hard to finish where we did. In my 25 years of following Saints we've had the one tie against Steaua and then last season's disaster against Midgetland.

I am massively excited about the Europa league, the Prem can take a backseat this year if we take the EL seriously. What's the point in finishing 7th and then not going for it? May as well finish 17th with that attitude.The kids can be used in the League Cup. Really looking forward to the draw, looks to be some stronger sides than usual in it to me, but maybe I'm just nervous about the draw. Either way, we are more than capable of beating every side in it.

Wonder if we might get a signing announcement to tie in with the draw today?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Spot On !

You work hard enough to get in it, so then go on and win it!

And have some great new experiences along the way that us fans can remember for years ahead.

I've had a quick look through the wiki pages for each of the clubs to see what sort of allocations we might get based on the 5% Uefa rule.

(I've assumed Dundalk will play at the Aviva as per thier champions league play off so subject to change. Also a couple of the Ukraine teams are playing in the west of the country away from the conflict areas so these stadiums are relevant to where they are currently playing)

Also some clubs may give increased allocations.

852af6d6928d8d843974096d53186350.jpg

The EL pointless from financial point? Not really true, you can make decent money in the EL if you get far. Sevilla made over 20 million in total with 9 million just from tv rights.

West Ham out is good news for us cause it means we get a larger share of the market pool for English clubs. If we would do good and reach like a semi final then we would easily make over 10 million in total, which aint too shabby and would cover quite a few places down on the table.

Plus a good EL campaign is good PR for the club and gives fans something they don't see everyday. All positives if you ask me.

Definitely going this year after thinking 'how can we possibly not qualify against midtyland - I'll wait to the group stages for my away trip'.

That's exactly what I did. My mates went to Vitesse whilst I was working but I wasn't bothered as there was no way we would lose to midtyland........ :(

I've got to say I couldn't really give a monkeys about how it might impact the balance sheet.

I'd like us to get to the knock out stages of Europa in 2017 because it would be, like, good.

I've had a quick look through the wiki pages for each of the clubs to see what sort of allocations we might get based on the 5% Uefa rule.

(I've assumed Dundalk will play at the Aviva as per thier champions league play off so subject to change. Also a couple of the Ukraine teams are playing in the west of the country away from the conflict areas so these stadiums are relevant to where they are currently playing)

Also some clubs may give increased allocations.

852af6d6928d8d843974096d53186350.jpg

Great work.

I've got to say I couldn't really give a monkeys about how it might impact the balance sheet.

I'd like us to get to the knock out stages of Europa in 2017 because it would be, like, good.

Absolutely. Can't believe that any true Saints fan cant be really excited about this. Just stop and think! Six years ago we were in League 1 with a long term plan to get back to the Premier League and then Europe.

There were plenty who ridiculed that as impossible but it's happened. How can you not now make the most of it? I will be going to as many games as I can manage/afford.

To me, the idea of working all season to get a high league position and qualify for Europe and then dismiss Europa as interfering with our next campaign to qualify again is idiotic.

Unless, of course, you buy into the hype that the Prem is everything (as emphasised by Sky now they don't do Europe). I'll accept that financially we need to stay up, but would worried if we think our squad is too weak to play in Europe and avoid relegation.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Absolutely. Can't believe that any true Saints fan cant be really excited about this. Just stop and think! Six years ago we were in League 1 with a long term plan to get back to the Premier League and then Europe.

There were plenty who ridiculed that as impossible but it's happened. How can you not now make the most of it? I will be going to as many games as I can manage/afford.

To me, the idea of working all season to get a high league position and qualify for Europe and then dismiss Europa as interfering with our next campaign to qualify again is idiotic.

Unless, of course, you buy into the hype that the Prem is everything (as emphasised by Sky now they don't do Europe). I'll accept that financially we need to stay up, but would worried if we think our squad is too weak to play in Europe and avoid relegation.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Most pundits also waffle the same crap most pre-seasons. Apparently this will be Liverpool's year to get into the Top 4, as they don't have any European commitments. Yet next year, if they do get European football, the argument will be that they'll struggle to retain it because of the extra games in Europe they'll have to play.

Go figure.

Can't see that anyone has created a map yet..... all the teams we could possibly draw and the cities they are likely to play in (due to wars etc).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1VMAas6EFx9WVNVmt7fQ3q1UB9ec

Let me know if you think it needs any changes.

The qarabag pitch might be a little waterlogged. Seems to have drifted out into the Caspian. Really good though. Cheers.