Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

Personally will be gutted/furious if we don't send out our best possible team for essentially a knock-out match to qualify for the next stage of the Europa League. Not sure what league matches are either side but they aren't as important as this.

It's Palace away on the Saturday before and Middlesbrough home on the Sunday after.

We do need to be getting point from both those games so it won't a case of the strongest team in Europa and weakened in the league.

But this is two home games and a short away trip, so no issues over travel. And 5 days recovery after Palace.

So, if he wants to, he could play a string team at Palace and much the same on Thursday, bringing in replacements for tired players on Sunday, but I doubt he will.

But in some positions I've got no problem with rotation. McQueen was close to being the best player last night - one of the few who was prepared to run at and challenge their defence.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

So how did that pan out? I have it on good authority that you went straight to the ticket machine [emoji16]

Your sources are rubbish.

I went straight to the ticket booth in the terminal which I recognised from a photo online (not from that video), where an elderly black gentleman who didn't have a hint of a Czech accent clarified in perfect English that the tickets were only valid once stamped by the machine, so yes, of course I could buy two 24 hour tickets for me and the wife and just keep the second pair until 24 hours later.

So didn't have to buy separate tickets for the bus, and just used the 24 hour ones.

I saw a pro Palestinian protester on the footbridge on Saturday and although i didn't pay much attn. got the impression he was Scouse

There was a Liverpool for Palestine banner and a Saints Against Apartheid one. I shoved a leaflet in my pocket, haven't looked at it yet though.

Your sources are rubbish.

I went straight to the ticket booth in the terminal which I recognised from a photo online (not from that video), where an elderly black gentleman who didn't have a hint of a Czech accent clarified in perfect English that the tickets were only valid once stamped by the machine, so yes, of course I could buy two 24 hour tickets for me and the wife and just keep the second pair until 24 hours later.

So didn't have to buy separate tickets for the bus, and just used the 24 hour ones.

Well, I can vouch for the guy on the desk. Didn't think about buying 2 x 24 hour tickets and just rushed headlong into a three day one. That said no one ever checked the tickets.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

Well, I can vouch for the guy on the desk. Didn't think about buying 2 x 24 hour tickets and just rushed headlong into a three day one. That said no one ever checked the tickets.

Ours got checked once which I'd say was pretty regular considering we were only there for two days.

I quite liked their "open gate" policy and the bloke who checked had an ID badge which he showed us, and uniform. He was on a pretty quiet station though.

Literally everywhere has a better run, cheaper to use, transport system than the UK. :o

So now we are heading into the last set of group games for Champions League and Europa the our possible opponents are starting to become clearer (IF we progress through ourselves on Thursday)

As we know, should we go through we will be unseeded as Sparta Prague have claimed top spot so we will either play a Europa League group winner or one of the four 3rd placed unseded teams from the Champions League.

So far there are five teams guaranteed to be seeded. They are........

Zenit St Petersburg

AS Roma

Shakhtar Donetsk

FC Schalke

Ajax

Other teams currently in place to be seeded through the Europa League top placed teams (subject to change on Thursday) are......

Fenerbache

Apoel Nicosia

Anderlecht

Genk

Fiorentina

Osmanlispor

And currently in third place in the Champions League (again subject to change tonight and tomorrow) we have.....

Ludogorets

Besiktas

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Rostov

Spurs (who we cant be drawn against in the round of 32)

Sporting Lisbon

FC Copenhagen

Lyon

So now we are heading into the last set of group games for Champions League and Europa the our possible opponents are starting to become clearer (IF we progress through ourselves on Thursday)

As we know, should we go through we will be unseeded as Sparta Prague have claimed top spot so we will either play a Europa League group winner or one of the four 3rd placed unseded teams from the Champions League.

Zenit St Petersburg

AS Roma

Shakhtar Donetsk

FC Schalke

Ajax

Other teams currently in place to be seeded through the Europa League top placed teams (subject to change on Thursday) are......

Fenerbache

Apoel Nicosia

Anderlecht

Genk

Fiorentina

Osmanlispor

And currently in third place in the Champions League (again subject to change tonight and tomorrow) we have.....

Ludogorets

Besiktas

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Rostov

Sporting Lisbon

FC Copenhagen

Lyon

Looking at that list the main one's i'd want to swerve from an away day perspective are the Russian/Ukrainian clubs (February in those regions are going to be cold!). Would prefer a country we haven't been too before as well, and preferably somewhere "winnable".

Lisbon would be a class away day, should get a good wedge of tickets for that too, Mönchengladbach for Germany would be fun too and Fenerbache or Besiktas would be incredible for the atmosphere. Copenhagen is going to be pricey as f*ck so probably prefer to miss them and Lyon i can take or leave.

Looking at that list the main one's i'd want to swerve from an away day perspective are the Russian/Ukrainian clubs (February in those regions are going to be cold!). Would prefer a country we haven't been too before as well, and preferably somewhere "winnable".

Lisbon would be a class away day, should get a good wedge of tickets for that too, Mönchengladbach for Germany would be fun too and Fenerbache or Besiktas would be incredible for the atmosphere. Copenhagen is going to be pricey as f*ck so probably prefer to miss them and Lyon i can take or leave.

I really fancy St Petersburg as a couple of days trip.

Direct flights and hotel currently showing at £200. Minus 6 average February temps will add a challenge to it though

I really fancy St Petersburg as a couple of days trip.

Direct flights and hotel currently showing at £200. Minus 6 average February temps will add a challenge to it though

The problem with Russia is that I believe a visa is around £150 so that on top of flights, hotel and spending money will make it inaccessible for a lot of fans. Also the reputation of the Russian fans will put a lot off as well (not an issue for me personally). That being said, apparently St Petersburg is a lovely city!

For me, if (big if) we get through, i'd like one of Schalke, Lisbon, Mönchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk or Ludogorets.

The problem with Russia is that I believe a visa is around £150 so that on top of flights, hotel and spending money will make it inaccessible for a lot of fans. Also the reputation of the Russian fans will put a lot off as well (not an issue for me personally). That being said, apparently St Petersburg is a lovely city!

For me, if (big if) we get through, i'd like one of Schalke, Lisbon, Mönchengladbach, Shakhtar Donetsk or Ludogorets.

Didn't think of Visa's.

I'd agree with your list of clubs above though. Add in Nicosia for a bit of warmth.(compared to here)

Zenit St Petersburg

AS Roma

Shakhtar Donetsk

FC Schalke

Ajax

Fenerbache

Apoel Nicosia

Anderlecht

Genk

Fiorentina

Osmanlispor

Ludogorets

Besiktas

Borussia Mönchengladbach

Rostov

Sporting Lisbon

FC Copenhagen

Lyon

Also, if we get through, we will definitely be away 2nd leg (23rd February). In case anyone needs to book time off work early

Current 3rd Placers in Champions League in Groups A-D as of right now:

Ludogorets [5 pts] (with Basel 3-0 down that won't change unless Ludo concede two to PSG and then I don't know the tiebreak winner)

Besiktas [7] (4-0 down to Kiev who can't catch them, and unless someone scores in Benfica v Napoli both they will go through at Besiktas' expense)...

B Monchengladbach [5] (3-0 down so 3rd unless Celtic beat Man City - again, dunno the tiebreaker with BM)

Rostov [5] (0-0 with PSV, if PSV score it goes to tiebreak between the two)

Also, if we get through, we will definitely be away 2nd leg (23rd February). In case anyone needs to book time off work early

"Early"? I've had it booked since last May. Well, 16th or 23rd, only confirmed which a week and a half ago, hopefully won't have to cancel it, though I will then either get Xmas or the Liverpool semi booked off... :D

Current third-placed teams (italics still with a game to play):

Lyon 7, 8 or 10 (or Sevilla 10, requires a 2+-goal win for Lyon over Sevilla for positions to change)

Besiktas 7

Copenhagen 6 (or Porto 8 or 9, requires a Copenhagen win over Brugge and Porto to fail to beat Leicester for positions to change)

Tottenham Hotspur 5 (-2) or 7 (or CSKA Moscow 6, requires a win over Tottenham for positions to change)

Rostov 5 (-6)

Borussia Mönchengladbach 5 (-7)

Sporting Lisbon 4 or 6 (or Legia Warsaw 4, requires a Legia Warsaw win over Sporting for positions to change)

Ludogorets 3

Theoretically, Copenhagen could end up being unseeded, but they'd need to lose to Brugge (who have 0 points from 5 games), for Sporting to win in Warsaw, AND for there to be a 6-goal swing.

Realistically, it's probably going to be Lyon, Besiktas, Copenhagen and Spurs as the seeded 4.

Lyon to beat Seville by 2 goals and get them. Great trip although probably an exit. Or Sporting please. 50k stadium

I saw an advert recently for a new flight route from Southampton to Lyon, would be handy for Lyon or St Etienne.

I think they draw the next two Europa league rounds at the same time, alternatively if we go out tomorrow night it could be our last European game for a long time.

We now know 8 of the 14 teams (could be 13 teams if Man Utd win their group) we could meet IF we go through

Definantly seeded are....

Zenit St Petersburg (Russia)

AS Roma (Italy)

Shakhtar Donetsk (Ukraine)

FC Schalke (Germany)

Ajax (Holland)

FC Copenhagen (Denmark)

Lyon (France)

Besiktas (Turkey)

Other group winners will be seeded and these will be.....

- Fenerbache (if they win Man Utd's group)

- Apoel Nicosia or Olympiakos

- Anderlecht or St Ettiene

- Genk or Ath Bilbao

- Fiorentina or Qarabag or PAOK Salonika

- Osmanlıspor or Zürich or Villarreal or Steaua Bucharest

Koeman did not get us to group stage...

Neither would have Puel if we had to go through 2 qualifying rounds.

We were sh!te away from home in all 3 legs.

But arguably Koeman did get us to the group stage by us finishing where we did last season.

Neither would have Puel if we had to go through 2 qualifying rounds.

We were sh!te away from home in all 3 legs.

But arguably Koeman did get us to the group stage by us finishing where we did last season.

No, we were very good in Be'er Sheva and got exactly the result we wanted. No-one in the group got a better result than us out there. (EDIT: *this last sentence may not be true).

We also had more chances than Inter.

I'm not defending the utterly dire Prague performance though, a point there avoids most of the problems of last night.

Edited by The9