Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

No, we were very good in Be'er Sheva and got exactly the result we wanted. No-one in the group got a better result than us out there.

We also had more chances than Inter.

I'm not defending the utterly dire Prague performance though, a point there avoids most of the problems of last night.

come on mate. Very good. Okay at best? Agree at the time a point seemed a decent result (we certainly didn't deserve to win) and it was a difficult place to go but we should have walked that group. Maybe i'm just bitter after spending 1000's and travelling c.5000 to not see us score in the last 4 European away fixtures.

Inter were absolutely awful, Prague not much better. A decent performance in either of them games and VVD not missing from 5 yards (against HBS & Inter) and we'd have been in the next round, most likely as group winners.

Our attitude towards this competition in the last 2 seasons has been an absolute joke.

No, we were very good in Be'er Sheva and got exactly the result we wanted. No-one in the group got a better result than us out there.

We also had more chances than Inter.

I'm not defending the utterly dire Prague performance though, a point there avoids most of the problems of last night.

Apart from Sparta who won 1-0

A decent performance in either of them games and VVD not missing from 5 yards (against HBS & Inter) and we'd have been in the next round, most likely as group winners.

Our attitude towards this competition in the last 2 seasons has been an absolute joke.

yeah, VVD's attitude in not scoring was appalling...

Anyway, on what shall I spend the money I earmarked for the next round, new skis or new bicycle?!

Sweepstake for first person to post: "FFS. We would have been drawn against "?

#butterflyeffect #chaostheory

:)

I know, but it's hard not to think like that.

I feel its more like an old episode of Bullseye, 'Here's what you could have won...' and Pedro Pinto wheels out a speedboat for us! :lol:

Would have been buzzing with that draw. Gutted.

Yeah totally, Besitkas is exactly the kind of European game you want. Would've been hostile as f*ck but probably one of the best atmosphere's you'd ever experience, and Istanbul would be amazing for a p*ss up

You could have bounced all over some of their top boys, mush, then ransacked the brothels.

Lads.

I was in Liverpool when they played them the other year and they are absolutely mental - flares going off in middle of Liverpool One shopping area - travel in large numbers very loud and intimidating lot.

come on mate. Very good. Okay at best? Agree at the time a point seemed a decent result (we certainly didn't deserve to win) and it was a difficult place to go but we should have walked that group. Maybe i'm just bitter after spending 1000's and travelling c.5000 to not see us score in the last 4 European away fixtures.

Inter were absolutely awful, Prague not much better. A decent performance in either of them games and VVD not missing from 5 yards (against HBS & Inter) and we'd have been in the next round, most likely as group winners.

All this "should have walked the group" stuff is ridiculous. We were third seed, at the time of the draw it was "obvious" that Inter and Sparta would be 2 of the top 3 with Saints battling it out with them. Didn't turn out like that, but our draw in Be'er Sheva was still an excellent result from a smart European away performance.

More importantly, we were set out to waste as little effort as possible in going into the last game needing an attainable result. If Yoshida's header had gone in people would be marvelling at how we'd balanced the teams perfectly to get through with as little impact on the league as possible. 30 days, 9 matches, and we've still got 2 of them to go...

• 3 weeks later...
All this "should have walked the group" stuff is ridiculous. We were third seed, at the time of the draw it was "obvious" that Inter and Sparta would be 2 of the top 3 with Saints battling it out with them. Didn't turn out like that, but our draw in Be'er Sheva was still an excellent result from a smart European away performance.

More importantly, we were set out to waste as little effort as possible in going into the last game needing an attainable result. If Yoshida's header had gone in people would be marvelling at how we'd balanced the teams perfectly to get through with as little impact on the league as possible. 30 days, 9 matches, and we've still got 2 of them to go...

I'd stick to supporting Newport if I were you, more in line with your horizons if you honestly think we performed adequately in the Europa League. Prague and Be'er Sheva are Championship standard at best.