Europa League 2016/2017 (Died 8/12/2016)

ScepticalStan

I'm feeling really positive about our remaining Group games.

2 Home games - I'd be hoping for at least 1 win there (should be two, really!)

I'm hoping that we are already through when it comes to Beer Sheva at Home.

Mainly because (living in Middlesbrough and supporting the Saints) we play Middlesbrough at Home the game after.

I really would like to destroy them as all I've heard this season so for is 'Boro are going to hammer us and get 6 points out of us'

I've also made some easy money by betting people that Boro will NOT finish above us!

But I think even with a weakened side we should beat Middlesbrough comfortably...

All those going to Prague, worth booking a table here.

http://www.thepub.cz/praha-1/rezervace/?lng=en

Been there before on a stag. Basically pour you own pints from a tap on the table and there's a screen with a league table showing your drinking vs the other tables. Then there's also a league for that pub Vs the other pubs around the world. Good fun! We'll be there Wednesday evening so you'll be battling for 2nd.

There is another 40 or so seats back on sale in block 12 for Inter at home, not sure what is going on with the clubs ticket software as this game has been sold out about 3 times now only for some to suddenly become available again.

the Sunderland game is similar as Itchen had sold out, then a load became available again , must be comps held back that are not taken up then released for sale.

How many are Inter bringing? I think we've got Block 44 so probably means they've got around 1,500 with segregation. You'd think they sell those to the Inter UK supporter groups alone, so they should make a colourful lot of noise.

How many are Inter bringing? I think we've got Block 44 so probably means they've got around 1,500 with segregation. You'd think they sell those to the Inter UK supporter groups alone, so they should make a colourful lot of noise.

They don't travel even within Italy, I'd be surprised if they had more than a thousand, mostly ex-pats.

They don't travel even within Italy, I'd be surprised if they had more than a thousand, mostly ex-pats.

You're right they don't. That's why I'd expect it to be almost all UK based fans, they must have a very big fan club in London, that's before considering all the Italian waiters that could show up!

You're right they don't. That's why I'd expect it to be almost all UK based fans, they must have a very big fan club in London, that's before considering all the Italian waiters that could show up!

They have a fairly sizeable London fan club, i know this because one of my Italian workmates is a member of it. Also they're having Giuseppe Baresi over the Wednesday before the game to do a talk to their London fan club.

He didn't reckon they'd take more than 500 to St Mary's as (in his words) they're sh*t at the moment and they don't travel even when they're good.

I was chatting to an Interista on the airport bus at LGW who was going over to work in London for a short while. He wanted to go but was worried about getting home after the game. I explained the position of the ground but didn't have time to check up on my rail app. Told him to check but thought it wouldn't be a problem. When _is_ the last train to London?

I was chatting to an Interista on the airport bus at LGW who was going over to work in London for a short while. He wanted to go but was worried about getting home after the game. I explained the position of the ground but didn't have time to check up on my rail app. Told him to check but thought it wouldn't be a problem. When _is_ the last train to London?

23:00.

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Been there before on a stag. Basically pour you own pints from a tap on the table and there's a screen with a league table showing your drinking vs the other tables. Then there's also a league for that pub Vs the other pubs around the world. Good fun! We'll be there Wednesday evening so you'll be battling for 2nd.

I like the look of that , recon they'll do a table for 1 haha! ?

If anyone's one short for a table, PM me, but I'll be latish - flight arrives 21:00

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie
I

Just managed to pick up two Inter tickets for £10 each in the restricted view area they're advertising. Two 6ft+ people in Row B surely aren't going to struggle to see over the bigger advertising boards are they?

Take some cushions to sit on !?

Just managed to pick up two Inter tickets for £10 each in the restricted view area they're advertising. Two 6ft+ people in Row B surely aren't going to struggle to see over the bigger advertising boards are they?

Does anyone have any idea what these restricted view seats are actually like? Do you not see a lot of the pitch or are you just missing off a corner or slight end or something?

Does anyone have any idea what these restricted view seats are actually like? Do you not see a lot of the pitch or are you just missing off a corner or slight end or something?

Based on the club's description it sounds like an "all or nothing" view depending on how tall you are...

https://southamptonfc.com/news/2016-10-26/southampton-internazionale-restricted-view

A limited number of restricted view seats have become available for Southampton’s UEFA Europa League clash with Internazionale.

Due to the height of the advertising boards in place for European games, the view of the playing surface will be impaired for any supporters in these seats.

Please be aware, the height of the advertising boards mean small children will struggle to see any of the pitch if they are sat in these seats.

My son has just got two tickets for the Inter game, only two left together and some singles are scattered around if anyone interested.

Thought they were all sold out according to this forum?

It was sold out over a week ago, as reported on the OS as well as on here. There's since a few more been made available, sounds like comps that haven't been taken up and a few restricted view seats not previously put on sale, there must be a healthy demand. Don't know how many they had but if Inter send any back that may release a few more.

Would be nice to be up in the 32k's for this fixture...when was the last time we had a 32k + attendance?

Away to Man City on Sunday? ;)

31488 first game of this season against Watford is our highest so far this season, there were lots of 31k+ last season with 31669 Arsenal on 26th December 2015, but since we've been back up the capacity has been reduced for media purposes so it's been ages.

32070 at home to Liverpool on 16 March 2013 in the Prem was the last one, there were a few 31.9s later too.

But we won't get more than 31,500 now - because unless there are no away fans, we basically can't even for a Prem game. Also, for Europa League games there are higher ad boards, so the club moves the wheelchair users into the first couple of rows on an elevated platform which loses a load of seats, as well as losing the use of the first couple of rows of the Itchen (and possibly other stands) behind the boards anyway - though they seem to be fudging some of these with "restricted view" tickets.

Edited by The9

Apropos of nothing really, but my Hapoel ticket came in the post this morning. As we're in control of our home tickets at least it seems a shame they couldn't send them all in one envelope, given that I purchased the package.

Think you need to appreciate the pressure they have been under since Europa league draw was made

They basically couldn't handle sheer number of tickets they had to deal with in September with so many games to handle, including far more work than normal getting Inter away tickets sprted out, a team of 10 of them spent over 60hrs each, working until 10PM each night adding details and getting Inter tickets sent out in early October, besides dealing with all the other games

The same people now have to deal with sorting out tickets for 9 games In a month from Liverpool home Nov 19th game to Bournemouth away Dec 18th, which will probably include around 6,000 for Arsenal

Think you need to appreciate the pressure they have been under since Europa league draw was made

They basically couldn't handle sheer number of tickets they had to deal with in September with so many games to handle, including far more work than normal getting Inter away tickets sprted out, a team of 10 of them spent over 60hrs each, working until 10PM each night adding details and getting Inter tickets sent out in early October, besides dealing with all the other games

The same people now have to deal with sorting out tickets for 9 games In a month from Liverpool home Nov 19th game to Bournemouth away Dec 18th, which will probably include around 6,000 for Arsenal

Considering all this, it seems strange that they didn't save themselves loads of extra work for the 3 home Europa matches and just upload them to our Season Ticket smartcards, no doubt there was a logical reason.

Considering all this, it seems strange that they didn't save themselves loads of extra work for the 3 home Europa matches and just upload them to our Season Ticket smartcards, no doubt there was a logical reason.

UEFA rules as the ticket has to show the europa league logo, which obviously won't show on an uploaded smartcard

It's only the "proper" rounds of the competition that UEFA cares about, clubs can more or less do what they want in the qualifiers.

It's bizarre that with the technology to put the ticket on a piece of plastic, an organisation like UEFA wants clubs to waste paper, money and resources by printing tickets, putting in envelopes and posting. Great contribution to the environment ...

It's bizarre that with the technology to put the ticket on a piece of plastic, an organisation like UEFA wants clubs to waste paper, money and resources by printing tickets, putting in envelopes and posting. Great contribution to the environment ...

Since when have they ever given a **** about anything like that? :lol:

Free advertising, with subsequent secondary marketing when used tickets end up on ebay, etc.

Yep, I appreciate they've been busy, which is why stuffing one envelope with just the one name and address slip might have saved them some time as well as postage and printing. If we continue to do well they'll have to upgrade the office, but getting part-time staff shouldn't be a problem. Not much we can do about UEFA though...

Since when have they ever given a **** about anything like that? :lol:

Free advertising, with subsequent secondary marketing when used tickets end up on ebay, etc.

Digital means traceable. There's no place for that sort of nonsense in the upper echelons of EUFA management.

Just because i'm a bit of a stats geek - here's the current situation in regards to us progressing to the next round of the competition...

Win both games – Go through as group winners

Win one, draw one (i.e. 4 pts over the 2 games) – Guaranteed through to next round, possibly as group winners

Lose to Sparta but beat Hapoel at St Marys – Guaranteed through to next round in 2nd place

Draw both games – through to next round unless Inter win both of their remaining games

Beat Sparta but lose to Hapoel– through to next round (potentially as group winners) unless Inter lose both of their remaining games.

Draw with Sparta, lose to Hapoel – can only go through if Inter beat Hapoel but don’t beat Sparta in their last game

Lose to Sparta, draw with Hapoel – We go out if Inter win both of their remaining games or if it’s a score draw with Hapoel or it’s a no score draw and we have a worse Goal Difference than Hapoel (would then go to goals scored and away goals if GD the same)

Lose both games – out of the competition

Thought it might save people having to work out all the permutations themselves or wrongly assuming we're doomed if we drop points ;)

Just because i'm a bit of a stats geek - here's the current situation in regards to us progressing to the next round of the competition...

Win both games – Go through as group winners

Win one, draw one (i.e. 4 pts over the 2 games) – Guaranteed through to next round, possibly as group winners

Lose to Sparta but beat Hapoel at St Marys – Guaranteed through to next round in 2nd place

Draw both games – through to next round unless Inter win both of their remaining games

Beat Sparta but lose to Hapoel– through to next round (potentially as group winners) unless Inter lose both of their remaining games.

Draw with Sparta, lose to Hapoel – can only go through if Inter beat Hapoel but don’t beat Sparta in their last game

Lose to Sparta, draw with Hapoel – We go out if Inter win both of their remaining games or if it’s a score draw with Hapoel or it’s a no score draw and we have a worse Goal Difference than Hapoel (would then go to goals scored and away goals if GD the same)

Lose both games – out of the competition

Thought it might save people having to work out all the permutations themselves or wrongly assuming we're doomed if we drop points ;)

Nice. Apparently (and I can't remember where I saw this), 10 points has been enough to qualify in all but one case since the EL/CL have had 4 team groups with the top 2 qualifying.

Obviously there's a big incentive to win the group though, as the EL Group Winners and the best 4 CL third place dropouts are seeded to play either an EL Group Runner-Up or one of the 4 worst CL third place dropout. It's also confirmed that the seeded team are at home in the second leg.

So basically if we win the group we're away on 16th Feb and home on 23rd, if we come second it's the other way around. We can't draw any other English clubs at that stage either.

Nice. Apparently (and I can't remember where I saw this), 10 points has been enough to qualify in all but one case since the EL/CL have had 4 team groups with the top 2 qualifying.

Obviously there's a big incentive to win the group though, as the EL Group Winners and the best 4 CL third place dropouts are seeded to play either an EL Group Runner-Up or one of the 4 worst CL third place dropout. It's also confirmed that the seeded team are at home in the second leg.

So basically if we win the group we're away on 16th Feb and home on 23rd, if we come second it's the other way around. We can't draw any other English clubs at that stage either.

So do we want win the group and end up playing a minnow from the arse end of Europe, or do we want to finish second and potentially end up playing the likes of Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Lyon or Schalke?

So do we want win the group and end up playing a minnow from the arse end of Europe, or do we want to finish second and potentially end up playing the likes of Ajax, Sporting Lisbon, Lyon or Schalke?

I'd want a relatively easy team if we went through. Easiest route possible to the final, we will find the big boys eventually.

I'm not really arsed who we get if we go through, for us to still be in Europe after Christmas will be an awesome achievement. Bring on whoever it is!

we will go through, there is no way we wont beat Bear Sheeva at home.

the next round is where the champions league clubs come into it, right?

we will go through, there is no way we wont beat Bear Sheeva at home.

the next round is where the champions league clubs come into it, right?

Yeah, teams who finish third in the UCL groups.

I think the match ups work like this....

2nd place teams could end up with a group winner from another EL group or a third place UCL team.

1st place teams will be seeded I believe, so can only be drawn against group runners up.

I may be totally wrong on that...! but I'm sure that's how it's worked before.

Yeah, teams who finish third in the UCL groups.

I think the match ups work like this....

2nd place teams could end up with a group winner from another EL group or a third place UCL team.

1st place teams will be seeded I believe, so can only be drawn against group runners up.

I may be totally wrong on that...! but I'm sure that's how it's worked before.

you watch us get Spurs in the next round

Ideally in the next round of games I think we'd want to beat Sparta and have Inter beat Hapoel. Would guarantee us qualification, would leave Hapoel with nothing to play for against us and would mean Inter could still qualify if they beat Sparta 2-0 at home giving them a reason to try and win that match. Would be our best chance of winning the group I think.

Slight worry is that Sparta only need a point now to qualify so might park the bus against us which we have trouble with.

Ideally in the next round of games I think we'd want to beat Sparta and have Inter beat Hapoel. Would guarantee us qualification, would leave Hapoel with nothing to play for against us and would mean Inter could still qualify if they beat Sparta 2-0 at home giving them a reason to try and win that match. Would be our best chance of winning the group I think.

Slight worry is that Sparta only need a point now to qualify so might park the bus against us which we have trouble with.

They are at home, so that would be a bit extreme!! Of course they may be cautious but why should they, having won their last 3 Europa games?