England v Turkey

Batman

I wouldn't even be happy if saints signed Rose. Since when has everyone in media started to fall in love with him? The Spurs effect no doubt but just average FB.

Turkey just bombed down his side and out if position, well no where to be seen

Well that was a bit of a mess. Pointless playing Vardy in some kind of Danny Wellbeck role. Play him up top on the shoulder. Need two defensive midfielders to protect the CBs who, as we all know, are flaky - Dier was good. Put Drinkwater with him. Yes I'm biased but trying to be objective - we've got the wrong two full backs. Main reason, we are weak in defence and Clyne and Bertrand are better defenders than Rose and Walker.

Vardy has to start centrally with Kane. Alli, Drinkwater and Dier in the middle. I would play 5-3-2 allowing the wingbacks to bomb on and means Dier can fill in if needed. The only problem is that Hodgson is only taking three CB's!!! And one of them is John Stones (who is a a walking mistake).

Love how the media have started to build the idea that Alli has an aggression problem. The 'foul' given against him in the second half was a joke, but both Tyldsley and Glenda started whining on about it. Personally think we will do alright in the Euro's. Yes our defence looks flaky but I do think we will score goals.

Can easily see us getting to Semi's due to the expanded nature of the tournament and we could play our way into confidence. Although I am an eternal optimist. Already looked to see how easy it is to get to Solna in May...

I really struggle to care about England these days unless one of our players play , I almost want the other team to win if there isn't what with so many players I dislike in the squad from premier league clubs haha.

The boy has a terrible attitude , looks like he wants to fight everyone who tackles him!

Too many slippery buggers in European footie, with the Premiership all over the world his issue v WBA will have been noted, his little reaction against the Turkish guy will have also been noted, any opposing manager worth his salt is going to have his players running their finger nails up and down that edge of wallpaper.

Hodgson should have been sacked after Brazil, and really, a leopard doesn't change its sports overnight so ultimately nowt has changed, despite a 10 out of 10 qualifying campaign.

He should have gone after the Italy game at Euro 2012, never mind Brazil.

The attitude of some of the Saints fans on here is embarrassing. Getting all *****y because RH hasn't picked a Saints player.

all this BS of "I hope we lose because I don't like RH or he's not picking Saints players" - have a f*cking word with yourself. Your country, like your club, is for life. You support them through thick and thin.

I don't recall anyone turning up at St. Mary's going "I hope we lose today because the manager hasn't picked X" so why do it for the national team?

A few have very short memories, under SGE or McLaren, a Saints player would have got nowhere near the England team, regardless of how well they played that season. Give RH his due, he's picked players on form rather than reputation.

At the end of the day, RH has to pick a team from a squad of 23. We have 3 friendly matches and all players will get their chance, I wouldn't be surprised to see FF and RB play on Friday.

I'd also be willing to bet that those of the "**** England I hope we lose" brigade will be the first to celebrate if we win.

The attitude of some of the Saints fans on here is embarrassing. Getting all *****y because RH hasn't picked a Saints player.

all this BS of "I hope we lose because I don't like RH or he's not picking Saints players" - have a f*cking word with yourself. Your country, like your club, is for life. You support them through thick and thin.

I don't recall anyone turning up at St. Mary's going "I hope we lose today because the manager hasn't picked X" so why do it for the national team?

A few have very short memories, under SGE or McLaren, a Saints player would have got nowhere near the England team, regardless of how well they played that season. Give RH his due, he's picked players on form rather than reputation.

At the end of the day, RH has to pick a team from a squad of 23. We have 3 friendly matches and all players will get their chance, I wouldn't be surprised to see FF and RB play on Friday.

I'd also be willing to bet that those of the "**** England I hope we lose" brigade will be the first to celebrate if we win.

How's Wilshere's form?

Lambert, Rodriguez, Clyne, Lallana, Bertrand would never have got a call up under SGE. Fact.

Wilshere is, when fit, one of the most talented players we have.

But... he's only played 3 games all season...

Why is Kane taking the free kicks ?

Shouldnt he be on the end of them ? F**k me, its like a kids team, where the kid who thinks he is more talented than all the others takes everything.

Rooney should be dropped and the team learn to play without him. This midfield role stuff is utter b*ll*cks and is just Woy trying to find a way to shoe-horn in him

Lambert, Rodriguez, Clyne, Lallana, Bertrand would never have got a call up under SGE. Fact.

Wilshere is, when fit, one of the most talented players we have.

There's no way Sven would have picked a Southampton full back for an international tournament squad, is there? Oh.

I haven't particularly cared about England for a long time. Didn't even bother going to see them when they played at St Mary's. Home England matches seem utterly depressing from a supporters point of view. Terrible atmosphere (that ****ig band!) and full of people on a day out whose main contribution to the event is eating a heroic amount of food from the concourse. My interest only rises slightly when Saints players are in the team.

Watched the last 20 minutes yesterday and felt no joy whatsoever when that **** Vardy scored.

Also I won't be the "first to celebrate" if they win, I might vaguely cheer but that's it.

Which is why he will not be match fit and should be culled from the final 23 regardless of how good anbody in the England coaching set up think he is.

But... he's only played 3 games all season...

Questions then:

1) Who else would you take? Shelvey? Noble? A.N. Other? - No thanks!

2) If Bale had been injured most of the season but then was fit for the Euro's, do you think he'd go?

you take your best players to a tournament.

Questions then:

1) Who else would you take? Shelvey? Noble? A.N. Other? - No thanks!

2) If Bale had been injured most of the season but then was fit for the Euro's, do you think he'd go?

you take your best players to a tournament.

Agree with everything you say, sometimes I think some of the people on this site know bugger all about football. It's just a way for them to follow the crowd and slag off the usual suspects.

I haven't particularly cared about England for a long time. Didn't even bother going to see them when they played at St Mary's. Home England matches seem utterly depressing from a supporters point of view. Terrible atmosphere (that ****ig band!) and full of people on a day out whose main contribution to the event is eating a heroic amount of food from the concourse. My interest only rises slightly when Saints players are in the team.

Watched the last 20 minutes yesterday and felt no joy whatsoever when that **** Vardy scored.

Also I won't be the "first to celebrate" if they win, I might vaguely cheer but that's it.

I'm with you Cat. If they win, fine, but I usually expect them to lose. Can't blame the players as too many of them aren't playing top grade football week-in and week-out as England internationals used to do. Their places in the league teams are now taken by the foreign players that populate the Premier League but whom we fans enjoy watching.

I did watch the whole game against Turkey, but it was less entertaining than the average game on Match of the Day. An unpromising performance by England, a missed penalty and let's not forget that the first England 'goal' was illegal and should not have counted. The only bright spot was that the lumbering Rooney wasn't playing so we didn't have to put up with the commentators screaming his name every time the ball might hit him.

A lot Rooney smashing on here and don't necessarily disagree, but the commentator was absolutely right about his performance in the cup final. he was excellent.

Without his run and cross they would have lost the cup.

Yet he gave the ball away countless times.

Not saying he is definitely over-the-hill yet, but he is a woeful midfielder. Woy just wants to keep playing him past his sell-by date, just like with Gerrard.

Rooney has never delivered for England, and I dont see any evidence that he is about to start.

Kane used to strike me as quite a humble, hard-working pro, but - a little bit of ITK here - he is apparently top dog in the Tottenham dressing room - is quite happy to tell other players (no matter what standing) to pull their finger out etc. While it's obviously a good trait to be something of a leader, I have noticed (unless it is confirmation bias) a selfishness and arrogance more recently in his Spurs performances, and now in an England shirt too. Penalties I can understand, but since when did he take free kicks?!

A lot Rooney smashing on here and don't necessarily disagree, but the commentator was absolutely right about his performance in the cup final. he was excellent.

Without his run and cross they would have lost the cup.

It does seem that Hodgson is reluctant to lose Rooney as England Captain. Obviously, he has his reasons but its not as if Rooney displays the leadership qualities of some past England Captains who perhaps gave more to the team than just their own performance. There is a danger that a better player will be left out to accommodate him and even that the playing system might be tinkered with to squeeze Rooney in. As for the cup final. I thought I heard the commentators remarking on Rooney's lack of involvement during the early part of the game and let's not forget that United needed the help of a shocking refereeing mistake in order to get to extra time.

I'm not beating the drum for Rooney to start - for me, a midfield three of Dier, Wilshere (if he proves his sharpness) and Alli would be the best option.

Was merely an observation that a number of people were suggesting Rooney can't play in midfield and in fact, he had a crucial role in the cup final. You could argue he also showed great leadership after they conceded - picking up the ball, beating four men and crossing for the equalizer.

At the end of the day, Rooney has scored goals regularly throughout his England career, leading him to become all time top scorer. You can say he has never delivered in a major tournament, but tell me a player who has during the same period? Basically no-one. He's always been the best we have.

He should be in the squad as captain, having captained the team through a comfortable (albeit) straightforward qualifying campaign. Whether he starts is a different story but it Roy decides, as he almost certainly will, to find a spot for him I won't be arguing too much.

With Wilshere looking unfit, Henderson being generally not very good and Delph a pointless spot in the 26, a midfield of Dier and Alli (who can play well when he's not in the more advanced midfield role as well) with Rooney in front of them might be the best option.

I absolutely will not support a team that is made up of players who consistently fail to perform at international level and Wayne Rooney is at the top of that particular pile no matter what he does for his club. I am tired of seeing him waddle around the pitch, game after game with his hands in the air swearing at the ref because he lost the ball again. I'm also completely finished watching him stand up front and get f*ck all in the way of supply because the team picked behind seem incapable of stringing two passes together. And don't try to throw this qualifying run at me - no top quality opposition played against and if you believe England to be this amazing super side we should have been averaging four or five goals a game. Instead they were all dire affairs with our national side failing to blaze a trail, even the media who are the first to initiate the w@nkfest when England win have been very critical in the run up to the Euro's.

As for Wilshere, it's a total f*cking joke. I don't care how good he is- he hasn't had the game time and he's constantly injured. What he needs is time to recuperate not a full international competition in the time he should be recovering and healing his body. It's total b0ll0cks to pick him and then expect him to perform when he's in this condition.

So honestly - I am expecting England to go out early, just like in Brazil because I don't see that anything has changed from that farce. I won't be watching because when I do I start to get my hopes up that our national side might actually achieve something and it really p!sses me off when they fail. Again. Especially when the problems are so plainly evident.

And do you know what? I actually think England winning the Euro's would be a terrible thing because it would be taken as a vindication of the current manager and the current policy.

Edited by Mr Biscuits

For those who knock England all of the time I wonder if they watched Alfs Boys last night? For those of us of a certain age that was a lovely trip down memory lane but it was interesting to hear Motty say that the crowds didn't really get interested until we got further in the competition and you could have walked up to the gate and bought a ticket on the night for the Uruguay match. If we progress in the competition I am sure more people will start to care. As for those who keep using the word "Woy" to knock the manager, what is this? A f*cking kindergarten? Grow up!

I'm not beating the drum for Rooney to start - for me, a midfield three of Dier, Wilshere (if he proves his sharpness) and Alli would be the best option.

Was merely an observation that a number of people were suggesting Rooney can't play in midfield and in fact, he had a crucial role in the cup final. You could argue he also showed great leadership after they conceded - picking up the ball, beating four men and crossing for the equalizer.

At the end of the day, Rooney has scored goals regularly throughout his England career, leading him to become all time top scorer. You can say he has never delivered in a major tournament, but tell me a player who has during the same period? Basically no-one. He's always been the best we have.

He should be in the squad as captain, having captained the team through a comfortable (albeit) straightforward qualifying campaign. Whether he starts is a different story but it Roy decides, as he almost certainly will, to find a spot for him I won't be arguing too much.

With Wilshere looking unfit, Henderson being generally not very good and Delph a pointless spot in the 26, a midfield of Dier and Alli (who can play well when he's not in the more advanced midfield role as well) with Rooney in front of them might be the best option.

We've never had a manager with the balls to pick anyone else

We've never had a manager with the balls to pick anyone else

Yeah, strange that and also strange that most pundits would still pick Rooney. Even Hoddle who had the 'balls' to drop Gazza from France '98 thinks he should be in. Is it a lack of balls or just a different opinion to yours?

Yet again I am amazed at just how inept an England Manager can be. Even in a friendly.

Tbh I'm not too fussed about the Euro's - I genuinely think we aren't going to be going far anyway so it doesn't matter who the owl faced buffoon picks.

I didn't see the game, but it sounds exactly like the reason I've given up getting excited by England qualifying for any tournaments convincingly.

Come the Big Event they simply don't have a clue and peter out to a damp squib. Flatter to deceive every time. Sh!te line ups and sh!te tactics from a gormless manager.

I''ll be much more interested in Wales (Confession time ... Hi my name is Eric and I'm half Welsh), hope Bale shines on the international stage, seeing Steve Davis put in some good shifts for Norn Ireland and The Mighty Schlong being a cult hero for The Republic. Meanwhile our spoilt bunch of prima donnas and halfbaked line ups will be as sh!te as usual.

Pretty much spot on IMO

A midfield 3 of Alli, Dier and Wlshere would be my mudfield of choice, as it should give us fluidity and creativity. The forward options will pick themselves to be honest, Kane and Vardy should be dead certs, Id maybe start Sturridge or Lallana instead of Sterling.

Its defence that we'll lose games, none of our CB's fill me with any confidence. Rose did ok, not MOTM but had a good game for me, surprising he gets slagged off so much, must be the spurs connection. Worth noting that anyone that plays down Stones side is going to be in trouble as his position discipline is pretty poor.

Its a difficult call between Rose and Bertrand, Bertrands better IMO but Rose fits in with the spurs connections in this squad.

I'll be celebrating like **** in the Stade Velodrome granted but it doesn't mean I have to like Hodgson. Has nothing to do with picking Saints players for me.

Why can't I get enthused about Hodgsons England eleven? I did watch the match and am still not impressed.Who is this Kane the taters were talking about? Is it the same one that Virgil had in his pocket for both of our games against Spurs? Rose MOTM! Twaddle again - literally!

Why can't I get enthused about Hodgsons England eleven? I did watch the match and am still not impressed.Who is this Kane the taters were talking about? Is it the same one that Virgil had in his pocket for both of our games against Spurs? Rose MOTM! Twaddle again - literally!

Both games?

He scored against us at home.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2000[/ATTACH] First 11 I would start with.

I think that looks okay too, (well Smalling scares the s**t out of me but options are limited) but if we assume a Hodgson frame of mind, we have to get Rooney in there and probably Milner too, so Drinkwater will be out, in fact I wouldn't be surprised if Roy doesn't take him, and then he perhaps drops Vardy to the bench in favour of Wayne. He'll possibly want to keep the Spurs connection as well so Rose instead of Bertrand.

Personally I think Drinkwater should go. Him and Dier together, two DM's to shield our ropey defence. Plus what more does Hodgson want from an English player - played regularly, won the Prem, and is in the CL?

I've heard just about every pundit and commentator say Rooney is great in a deeper role. When exactly was this? I remember Rooney being young and exciting up front with someone else, and I remember the best years of his career up front for Man Utd scoring loads of goals inside the box, seemingly scoring headers every week.

His form and goalscoring went when he tried to do too much, dropped deeper and insisted on being the playmaker, doing everything. He was never that player, he's never been a Scholes type, he was just a very good striker, now he's an ok striker.

Bench him. Good to have experience there. It's him or Kane for the central role surely. For me, England are so sh1t in defence we might as well go for it. Sturridge, Kane, Vardy up front. All three can drift around, all are goal threats, all are fast. Sterling has been rubbish for ages, Milner is a depressing option, Lallana doesn't score for England.

Indeed. When the Emperor looks naked, the Emperor is naked.

The most frustrating thing is we tried the same effin' thing two years ago when we tried to convert Gerrard into a Pirlo-type role and duly compounded the error by building the team around him. The result was a complete catastrophe and to suffer the humiliation of England having to play a dead third group match should have had the nation calling for that scraggy-faced imbecile's head.

The expectations for the last World Cup couldn't have been lower and couldn't have been more reasonable, yet we still ended up disappointed and embarrassed.

And we never learn of course...

But hey, 'Ask not what Rooney can do for England...'

At least the papers saw it how I did Rose got the lowest rating along with sterling (a 5 in my red top ) who it says "struggled" , Yet Glenda give him motm ! Laughable , I remember being at an England game a while back and it says text your man of the match which I did (Hart) his picture briefly flashed on to the screen then changed to another player I forget who sorry but I remember me and most around me were bemused by whoever it was turned out the tv studio didn't agree with us!

Ditto