New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Not sure i want us to go for someone who wouldn't have ambition of managing at higher level(stepping stone).

Smacks of settling for rank mediocrity.

It'd be like signing Scott Dann instead of Virgil van Dijk - yeah you won't have to worry about someone better (or from Liverpool) trying to sign them but that's also because they're too mediocre

Stepping stone vs longer-term

Name Time as manager

Arsène Wenger 19 years, 250 day

Steve Bruce 3 years, 365 days

Eddie Howe 3 years, 238 days

Sean Dyche 3 years, 221 days

Mark Hughes 3 years, 8 days

Manuel Pellegrini 2 years, 349 days

Aitor Karanka 2 years, 207 days

Mauricio Pochettino 2 years, 11 days

Ronald Koeman 1 year, 357 days

Tony Pulis 1 year, 158 days

Alan Pardew 1 year, 156 days

etc

etc

taken from wiki https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_Premier_League_and_English_Football_League_managers

Wenger is old school. It might happen again, it might not, but is there any point going for long-term if the life span of the job is so short? And given that, aren't stepping stone managers going to be more eager and hungrier or success, albeit most likely to the detriment of the academy?

This is our conundrum and you have "hit the nail on the head" with the academy comment

Our ambition is to grow slowly and steadily with a mix of good young buys and academy players, whilst most managers are focused on a fast growth short term stint which requires a mega transfer budget to succeed

Until we have grown our commercial side and brand substantially we are never going to be able to compete on the transfer front

But to do so we must continue to grow gradually and to grow gradually we need good management

Edited by Saint Without a Halo

Is this how they would/should be categorised?

Stepping Stone = De Boer & Emery

Longer Term = Howe, Moyes, Villas-Boas, Flores

Wild Card = Pellegrini

Isn't every manager a stepping stone manager? I mean if we are taking them from a smaller club they've shown they're happy to move to something bigger....in fact any manager will drop us if they feel something better has come along.

Fdb or AVB for me, as I just cant see Pellegrini happening. Not sure about the love in for Emery though. His away record in the league last year was appalling!! P19 W0 D9 L10 only scoring 13 goals. Cup runs are brilliant, and he can obviously put out a team to win one off games, but there is no way anyone on here would accept that league performance. In fact, he would get the sack before the Europa league final. 9pts away from home all season!!!!!!

If Howe came here and did a great job why would he not be looking at it as a stepping stone.

If we get a really good Manager it will be a stepping stone for them because we are a self described "showcase club".

Better to get someone who succeeds for 2 years than is mediocre for 5.

I'm a bit conflicted. At first I was thinking 'definitely not' to Moyes, but the more I think about it, the more I think it may work well with the players we've got.

I seem to remember them being brilliant defensively, the football wasn't too bad, in fact they were a bit like us under Koeman. Yes, it didn't work out as it could have done at United, but then it also didn't for LVG who has a much longer track record.

He also wouldn't just **** off like the rest as it's unlikely that a big team will ever take a punt on him again. He also has experience in Europe and has got lesser teams closer higher in the table.

Conflicted, but if that's the worst choice we have we'll be alright.

Matt Le Tissier, Francis Benali - longer term

Everyone else - stepping stone

Not serious of course, but that's the way football is these days. Howe couldn't be considered long term, because he will have used Bournemouth as a stepping stone to come here.

I'm a bit conflicted. At first I was thinking 'definitely not' to Moyes, but the more I think about it, the more I think it may work well with the players we've got.

I seem to remember them being brilliant defensively, the football wasn't too bad, in fact they were a bit like us under Koeman. Yes, it didn't work out as it could have done at United, but then it also didn't for LVG who has a much longer track record.

He also wouldn't just **** off like the rest as it's unlikely that a big team will ever take a punt on him again. He also has experience in Europe and has got lesser teams closer higher in the table.

I had exactly the same thoughts yesterday.

On reflection, Moyes would make sense for a club such as ours who are looking to consolidate their achievements over the last few years. Would be a 'solid' and relatively risk-free appointment IMO.

Some good points.

The thing against him is though....well, he's David Moyes. It just wouldn't be exciting!

What's his track record like with bringing yoof through?

With Moyes, it is easy to write him off. Spain was a disaster but they aren't keen on foreigners and I am not sure if he could speak the language. It is easy to write him off with his 52% win ratio at Man Utd, but he was deemed a worthy successor to Fergie.

After Pochettino and Koeman, Moyes would be **** and a definite step backwards.

We have been in the top 8 of the 'best league in the world' for the last three season so lets show a little ambition.

If anyone on here had said a few months ago "lets replace Koeman with Moyes" they would (rightly) have been ridiculed.

He would be a step down in every sense.

Never thought I would, but yeah....

Moyes.... oooohhhh eerrrrrr, keep talking, I'm listening.

What everybody else said (seems to make sense).

Would probably be keen to do better than Everton as well...

I'm a definite no to Moyes. Statistically he's been very average and never truly excelled. Personally I don't think he over achieved at Everton and simply did what was expected. He's also been absolutely awful since leaving them. He's in danger of being labelled 'old school' and that game when Man U crossed 82 times with zero effect sticks in the mind and hints as to his tactical ability. You can't imagine Poch in the dressing room saying "right lads, here it is, get it wide and cross it into the box, boom, goals." Totally goes against the style of manager we go for and I doubt he'd excite many fans, current players or potential targets.

However, it is true that he probably wouldn't jump ship.

Plus there's a very real chance we'd see Fellaini in a Saints shirt... :scared:

I wouldn't be unhappy with that either should it happen...

I think he would have better longevity than someone like De Boer who I am yet to be wholly convinced by as a manager.. Winning the Dutch league as Ajax manager is not a major accomplishment after all..

Winning it 4 years on the trot is. Only lost it last season on the last day. Also has lots of European exoerience.

I'm a definite no to Moyes. Statistically he's been very average and never truly excelled. Personally I don't think he over achieved at Everton and simply did what was expected. He's also been absolutely awful since leaving them. He's in danger of being labelled 'old school' and that game when Man U crossed 82 times with zero effect sticks in the mind and hints as to his tactical ability. You can't imagine Poch in the dressing room saying "right lads, here it is, get it wide and cross it into the box, boom, goals." Totally goes against the style of manager we go for and I doubt he'd excite many fans, current players or potential targets.

However, it is true that he probably wouldn't jump ship.

Plus there's a very real chance we'd see Fellaini in a Saints shirt... :scared:

Agree with the general gist, but didn't we cross the ball way more than any other PL team under Koeman?

This is our conundrum and you have "hit the nail on the head" with the academy comment

Our ambition is to grow slowly and steadily with a mix of good young buys and academy players, whilst most managers are focused on a fast growth short term stint which requires a mega transfer budget to succeed

Until we have grown our commercial side and brand substantially we are never going to be able to compete on the transfer front

But to do so we must continue to grow gradually and to grow gradually we need good management

Gary Neville it is then.

If Howe does not have enough experience then why consider Giggs or Neville as they have even less. Maybe Fonte could learn the ropes alongside our next manager so there is continuity for the future?

Matt Le Tissier, Francis Benali - longer term

Everyone else - stepping stone

Not serious of course, but that's the way football is these days. Howe couldn't be considered long term, because he will have used Bournemouth as a stepping stone to come here.

Pahars?

These are wise words that I hope don't get lost.

Until we have grown our revenue, we will always need a Shaw, Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc to come through the academy every couple of years so we can sell them for mega bucks. This then must be reinvested. Rather than this being a lack of ambition, it's actually a strategy to fulfil our ambition. If the club felt that the likelihood of this wasn't there under Koeman and therefore this would be a car crash waiting to happen and derail our plans long after he had left (he was always going to leave us for an Arsenal, Barca, Netherlands job) then they were right to address this now.

There are very few clubs who have continued an upward path by splashing loads of money on transfers fees. Even the big ones get it massively wrong (Liverpool and Man U recently) plus how much did Villa and Newcastle spend to get relegated, probably more than we did to get to 6th place?. Without the correct structures and plans within a club, jizzing large sums of money like Everton are about to do, is a recipe for disaster. Much as I hate them, Spurs are trying to do it correctly by building a club and model like ours that moves forward regardless of who the manager happens to be at the time.

But Spurs are just trying to catch up with us. Our next manager is likely to be here for just 2 seasons and hopefully will continue our upward trajectory. He'll then go to a "bigger" club but that's fine because we would have seen some great football and maybe even won a cup. In doing so we're a step closer to where we want to be as a club which is brilliant. We have far more chance of sustained challenges at top 6 finishes than teams like WBA, Sunderland, Stoke etc. For that we have to thank people for the way our club is run and the way we do our business; of course no one is perfect and we can always improve, and getting the next appointment right is so very crucial. But we are better run and have a far better chance of achieving our ambition than most clubs in the PL.

These are wise words that I hope don't get lost.

Until we have grown our revenue, we will always need a Shaw, Walcott, Bale, Chamberlain etc to come through the academy every couple of years so we can sell them for mega bucks. This then must be reinvested. Rather than this being a lack of ambition, it's actually a strategy to fulfil our ambition. If the club felt that the likelihood of this wasn't there under Koeman and therefore this would be a car crash waiting to happen and derail our plans long after he had left (he was always going to leave us for an Arsenal, Barca, Netherlands job) then they were right to address this now.

There are very few clubs who have continued an upward path by splashing loads of money on transfers fees. Even the big ones get it massively wrong (Liverpool and Man U recently) plus how much did Villa and Newcastle spend to get relegated, probably more than we did to get to 6th place?. Without the correct structures and plans within a club, jizzing large sums of money like Everton are about to do, is a recipe for disaster. Much as I hate them, Spurs are trying to do it correctly by building a club and model like ours that moves forward regardless of who the manager happens to be at the time.

But Spurs are just trying to catch up with us. Our next manager is likely to be here for just 2 seasons and hopefully will continue our upward trajectory. He'll then go to a "bigger" club but that's fine because we would have seen some great football and maybe even won a cup. In doing so we're a step closer to where we want to be as a club which is brilliant. We have far more chance of sustained challenges at top 6 finishes than teams like WBA, Sunderland, Stoke etc. For that we have to thank people for the way our club is run and the way we do our business; of course no one is perfect and we can always improve, and getting the next appointment right is so very crucial. But we are better run and have a far better chance of achieving our ambition than most clubs in the PL.

Good post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Unspectacular but would be a fine appointment - as cast iron a guarantee against relegation as you could get as a minimum (ie someone like De Boer could crash and burn) and would lead us comfortably into mid table or better - he has delivered top six-ish consistently.

Perfect for a management redemption story. I wouldn't complain if we did appoint him - especially if it was between him or Eddie Howe.

I'm a bit conflicted about FDB I rate him and was interested, the last time, when we end up with Koeman instead. Have to say though if we got him this time it would almost seem like the club just plumped for the most obvious and easy option available and it would be kind of cool to pull another Poch (minus the unpleasant character traits) out of the bag.

I'm a bit conflicted about FDB I rate him and was interested, the last time, when we end up with Koeman instead. Have to say though if we got him this time it would almost seem like the club just plumped for the most obvious and easy option available and it would be kind of cool to pull another Poch (minus the unpleasant character traits) out of the bag.

Pulling off another 'poch' will be ridiculed by everyone on here in the beginning because 'we hired a nobody'...

Followed by alpine's b&b comments, not to forget lack of ambition and daleks relegation comments...

Saint Charlie will say 'it is very disappointing to have a nobody after Koeman and Poch (who ironically himself was a nobody in England when we got him)

I'm surprised the papers haven't been on about Gary Neville. TBH his time in Spain was doomed to fail.

According to a mate of mine who follows Spanish football he was incredibly unlucky. Sounds like excuses but apparently they played really good football but the strikers were not putting the chances away and pretty much every decision possible went against them.

In a parallel universe he could be doing very very well there.

Personally I wouldn't want him to take charge. Maybe assistant would be great but even more unlikely.

Lazio, who were rumoured to have chosen Frank De Boer to become their next manager a couple of days ago (http://www.football-italia.net/85466/report-lazio-pick-de-boer), are infact trying to persuade Marcelo Bielsa, with Cesare Prandelli as the backup option according to Gianluca DiMarzio (http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/lazio-met-with-bielsa-twice-president-lotito-trying-to-convince-him-to-accept/).

So that is one possible rival for De Boer potentially out of the running.

experience at big european clubs, distinguished european playing careers all count with the reputation and brand.

TBF that also helps to get a bunch of multi-millionaire international footballers to listen to you. And also other players to sign for you.

Add to that he was not supported for quite a few years at EFC transfer money wise & I think he will feel he has something to prove after the cluster **** that is MUFC.

Lazio, who were rumoured to have chosen Frank De Boer to become their next manager a couple of days ago (http://www.football-italia.net/85466/report-lazio-pick-de-boer), are infact trying to persuade Marcelo Bielsa, with Cesare Prandelli as the backup option according to Gianluca DiMarzio (http://gianlucadimarzio.com/en/eng/lazio-met-with-bielsa-twice-president-lotito-trying-to-convince-him-to-accept/).

So that is one possible rival for De Boer potentially out of the running.

I like de Boer and wanted him instead of Koeman - but something seems to be up with him. He has been linked to / shortlisted and presumably interviewed by so many clubs and yet never appointed. Its becoming a bit odd.