New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Guans list of players cannot be the whole list. There is no way FDB and Pellegrini aren't on that list.

Someone said to me yesterday...think of it this way:

Everton get Southamptons manager

Southampton get Man City's

Progression.

If the board aren't prepared to pay Koeman enough to have made him want to stay, how do you think we're going to attract those two you've just mentioned? Especially considering the money Pellegrini would've been on at City. We won't get anywhere near the money he'd want.

Clueless.

If the board aren't prepared to pay Koeman enough to have made him want to stay, how do you think we're going to attract those two you've just mentioned? Especially considering the money Pellegrini would've been on at City. We won't get anywhere near the money he'd want.

Clueless.

If Pellegrini and FdB want the kind of wages that Ron has just got they might be out of work for a while.

Thanks, not world eating stats, considering that it is said that the Spanish league is not as competitive as our own

And Koeman's world beating stats are?

Your comment comes across that only fantastic 'stats' will do. Those elite managers are beyond Saints and have egos to match, besides there is more to just having a good CV. Are they suitable for the club? An unknown aspect fans don't know. The club have a strategy which hasn't failed yet.

Sevilla is built in the same mould as us, so a good fit if he wants to try a different league.

The guy who brings the talent in is also leaving the club, forget which PL team has poached him, could be Everton! So another reason for him to consider moving on.

People need to forget about Howe's period in charge at Burnley.

Howe comes from a very close knit single parent family and there was stuff going on. It was a difficult time, hence his return to the south coast.

Look it up. Howe would be an excellent choice.

Plus he's obviously more experienced/mature now too

Howe comes from a very close knit single parent family and there was stuff going on. It was a difficult time, hence his return to the south coast.

Agree

Disagree. He should stay with Bournemouth.

Howe is clearly a lovely fella and a good young coach who lives roughly within catchment!....but

Can he

guide us through our Europa league group stage adventure

Maintain a top 6/7 place and qualify again

Carry the respect required to keep our players smiling and motivated

Be a draw for possible purchases

I'm not sure he can...just yet. If Boscombe finish higher than us next season I'll say well done Eddie. They won't.

What attributes do you think we're looking for Charlie?

Bright, young(ish) and engaging personality, coach proven to improve players, who brings through young players and who ideally has European experience.

Pellegrini is a good Manager but I think he is probably a bit too old and isn't good on the young player side, at least certainly not at City. Saints would be a convenient way to stay in England, the others are probably at more ambitious stages of their career and may have more drive to succeed.

He is 62 I think, three of the four Guan mentioned are under 45 and 2 are under 40. He doesn't fit in with those.

Bright, young(ish) and engaging personality, coach proven to improve players, who brings through young players and who ideally has European experience.

Pellegrini is a good Manager but I think he is probably a bit too old and isn't good on the young player side, at least certainly not at City. Saints would be a convenient way to stay in England, the others are probably at more ambitious stages of their career and may have more drive to succeed.

He is 62 I think, three of the four Guan mentioned are under 45 and 2 are under 40. He doesn't fit in with those.

Granted he's not young, but this might be a positive. Much less likely to be tempted elsewhere in a couple of years time.

He has tons of European experience. Took 2 similar clubs in Villareal and Malaga into the last 4/8 of the Champions League.

He wasn't good on the young player side at City, but that was probably more to do with club policy. He's obviously a good coach, has got players to over-achieve at smaller clubs.

He also knows the Premier League well.

Have I sold it to you?

Poch was perfectly capable of speaking English when he joined us. He just chose not to in TV interviews.

I've sometimes wondered whether that was his own choice, or an instruction from the board at the time. It was always obvious that he understood the questions put to him before the interpreter translated them for him.

He's younger than Ranieri. That's good enough for me!

Pellegrini doesn't tick too many of the boxes Saints will be looking for attribute wise. Would be suprised if we considered him.

Think Pellegrini fits the attributes perfectly

Likes to play out from the back

Favours a free flowing approach

Promotes youth - look at Ineanacho

Seems to be committed to the club he manages

Has had success at different levels

Was a defender as a player (as was Poch and Koeman)

Just a suggestion, but I think Paulo Sousa could do a good job if we got him from Fiorentina. I think he has grown as a manager since he left Swansea and his team played good football at times this year at Serie A. Also I feel he could be persuaded more easily and would be more eager to work in the PL compared to likes of Emery/De Boer etc.

I would love it if we got Emery, but in all honesty I feel he's going to a bigger club. Pellegrini would be ok.

Granted he's not young, but this might be a positive. Much less likely to be tempted elsewhere in a couple of years time.

He has tons of European experience. Took 2 similar clubs in Villareal and Malaga into the last 4/8 of the Champions League.

He wasn't good on the young player side at City, but that was probably more to do with club policy. He's obviously a good coach, has got players to over-achieve at smaller clubs.

Have I sold it to you?

I'm afraid not.

He would have been a great choice after Pochettino went, or if for some reason Koeman's departure led to an exodus, as he is a calming presence.

But if the Club are continuing to follow the same path then I think they will look for someone who more fits their requirements. If their biggest gripe with Koeman was relating to young player development then Pellegrini won't be in the frame.

He also didn't manage European football and domestic form overly well and had a few strops about fixture times etc which came across pretty badly I thought.

Good Manager but we are looking for a different profile...all IMO of course.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Emery didn't win away from home in the league all season. Something to think about. What are his coaching credentials like? As that will be a big part of what we are looking for.

I think AVB and Howe suit us nicely. Howe's lack of experience of where we want to be is something to think about as well though. Not sure how much AVB will fancy taking on the media here again though. Maybe it will suit him at a less intense club.

FDB is fascinating. You have to wonder why he left Ajax with nothing lined up. Is he going to be that guy everyone looks at and leaves alone until he ends up somewhere and failing?

Moyes seems meh but it would be foolish to write him off. He has to be on any shortlist really and a lot of what we are doing matches up with what he acheived at Everton so I can see the appeal.

Pellegrini has the experience but will he have the hunger for it?

Think Pellegrini fits the attributes perfectly

Likes to play out from the back

Favours a free flowing approach

Promotes youth - look at Ineanacho

Seems to be committed to the club he manages

Has had success at different levels

Was a defender as a player (as was Poch and Koeman)

Imagine going from managing Sergio Aguero to Shane Long haha

but then again Rafa Benitez: From Bale, Ronaldo to Mitrovic and Townsend

Whoever we get, let's give him a five-year contract, so that we're not in the same position in two years time with (say) Eddie if he's doing well as we are with Ron now. If it doesn't work out, we'll just have to pay him more compensation to get rid.

Emery didn't win away from home in the league all season. Something to think about. What are his coaching credentials like? As that will be a big part of what we are looking for.

I think AVB and Howe suit us nicely. Howe's lack of experience of where we want to be is something to think about as well though. Not sure how much AVB will fancy taking on the media here again though. Maybe it will suit him at a less intense club.

FDB is fascinating. You have to wonder why he left Ajax with nothing lined up. Is he going to be that guy everyone looks at and leaves alone until he ends up somewhere and failing?

Moyes seems meh but it would be foolish to write him off. He has to be on any shortlist really and a lot of what we are doing matches up with what he acheived at Everton so I can see the appeal.

Maybe FdB has had something lined up all along?

Probably not though.

It's stats like that which makes me think he might join us - his league record is good but not outstanding and maybe the truly elite clubs have a couple of question marks about him. If it was unequivocal that he is the next great manager then obviously no chance but these little weaknesses make him everso slightly more likely to end up at SMS. We would give him the perfect platform to get a massive job next (if he feels Sevilla doesn't already give him that).

Still feels virtually impossible but would be absolutely brilliant if it happened.

Have I sold it to you?

I think people are really over selling that point we don't need a long term manager we've coped quite well changing every 2-2.5 seasons. We need young(ish), hungry with a desire to do well. Pellegrini will just be looking for a comfy payday before retirement IMO.

I think people are really over selling that point we don't need a long term manager we've coped quite well changing every 2-2.5 seasons. We need young(ish), hungry with a desire to do well. Pellegrini will just be looking for a comfy payday before retirement IMO.

agree. someone on the way up with fire in their belly - Emery, Howe, De Boer would do me

I cant think of any manager, apart from perhaps Mourihno, in less need of a comfy payday before retirement. I cant see why he'd join us, but if he did he'd do a good job imo.

I doubt it, Stam is due for an interview over the Reading job tomorrow

Perhaps Reading i the morning then a quick detour down the M3 to meet Les at a service station nr Basingstoke...

Can't see us going for someone with such limited experience though.

I cant think of any manager, apart from perhaps Mourihno, in less need of a comfy payday before retirement. I cant see why he'd join us, but if he did he'd do a good job imo.

Yep - he's got a bit of a point to prove in England although I doubt he'd be able to make it at Saints, unless we managed to finish above Man City.

All good coaches have shelf life, though. It's best to catch them during or before their first wind because only the true greats get a second.

It depends what our ambitions are: if we are happy to keep rebuilding every 2 years and be seen as a stepping stone to bigger things then the current strategy is fine; if we want to try to establish ourselves as a contender then we need a manager who sees SFC as a long term plan - like the boards 5 year plan - and will sell that vision to players rather than "come here for a season or 2 and put yourself in the shop window for a big move".

It would be interesting to know which approach the club favours.

It is being reported that Emery has agreed a deal with Milan.

Typical of our board etc... 'too late for their own funerals'... 'lack of ambition' etc etc :mcinnes: (intended sarcastically)

No liklihood of him coming to us in the first place.

Typical of our board etc... 'too late for their own funerals'... 'lack of ambition' etc etc :mcinnes: (intended sarcastically)

No liklihood of him coming to us in the first place.

Think we will end up with Moyes.

AVB has said he wants to take a year off to spend time with his family and does not want to come to work in England after his experiences with Chelsea and Spurs.

Emery is wanted by bigger clubs (AC Milan, PSG...)

Howe will be wary of not making the mistake of leaving Bombey for a second time (Bolton)

FDB is not on the shortlist.

Coupled with the fact that out of the last 4 managers, 3 of them were not in a job when appointed.

Think we will end up with Moyes.

AVB has said he wants to take a year off to spend time with his family and does not want to come to work in England after his experiences with Chelsea and Spurs.

Emery is wanted by bigger clubs (AC Milan, PSG...)

Howe will be wary of not making the mistake of leaving Bombey for a second time (Bolton)

FDB is not on the shortlist.

Coupled with the fact that out of the last 4 managers, 3 of them were not in a job when appointed.

You don't know who is on the shortlist. Did anybody have an inkling we were going for Poch? We've been told time and again that Saints have succession planning in place for every position including manager. Lets just wait and see what happens.

Also, We can't forget about our very long term deal with Under Armour, I cant see them accepting an unkown.

I dont believe for a second they will have no say on the matter given the commitment and investment they have put in.

COYR