New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

Unspectacular but would be a fine appointment - as cast iron a guarantee against relegation as you could get as a minimum (ie someone like De Boer could crash and burn) and would lead us comfortably into mid table or better - he has delivered top six-ish consistently.

Perfect for a management redemption story. I wouldn't complain if we did appoint him - especially if it was between him or Eddie Howe.

I'd feel the opposite. In a straight choice between Moyes and Howe, I would go for Howe all day long. Mainly because his stock is quite high and he seems closer to "our type" of manager than Moyes. Plus Moyes is a bit tainted now and close to becoming a comedy character in my eyes.

I like de Boer and wanted him instead of Koeman - but something seems to be up with him. He has been linked to / shortlisted and presumably interviewed by so many clubs and yet never appointed. Its becoming a bit odd.

And yet apparently has flat out said no to us, which is a big smack in the mouth if true.

I hope it is AVB. I know he said his time was done in England but we all know that what a manager says a few months (or even weeks) ago means nothing

So long as he's abandoned that curious habit of crouching on the touchline with a finger at his pursed lips, I'd be delighted.

Was reading Ray Parlours comments and given a choice of some of the other available options I personally wouldn't go for Moyes as first option. But if he did end up here would it be so bad? Great chance for him to prove he has more about him than the poisoned chalice that was Man Utd. For us he has a huge wealth of experience with our league and knows how to keep a team in and around the Europe spots year on year. Solid appointment if not particularly exciting would be my verdict. Still crossing fingers for FDB or AVB mind you. What's others thoughts on this?

I'd feel the opposite. In a straight choice between Moyes and Howe, I would go for Howe all day long. Mainly because his stock is quite high and he seems closer to "our type" of manager than Moyes. Plus Moyes is a bit tainted now and close to becoming a comedy character in my eyes.

Agree. If we really rate Howe as highly as has been suggested then I would be happy with him and certainly over Moyes. Fans get excited having a Manager who is on the upward curve rather than one of the merry go round boys.

Key isn't who we want though, its who Saints and who its their criteria which we don't know. I really hope we get our no1 choice as we did with Pochettino and Koeman.

According to a mate of mine who follows Spanish football he was incredibly unlucky. Sounds like excuses but apparently they played really good football but the strikers were not putting the chances away and pretty much every decision possible went against them.

In a parallel universe he could be doing very very well there.

Personally I wouldn't want him to take charge. Maybe assistant would be great but even more unlikely.

I hope you are not inferring assistant to Hodgson? They're all FA people so Les might be planning to bring in all his pals, after all we've quite a few of them here already.

Was reading Ray Parlours comments and given a choice of some of the other available options I personally wouldn't go for Moyes as first option. But if he did end up here would it be so bad? Great chance for him to prove he has more about him than the poisoned chalice that was Man Utd. For us he has a huge wealth of experience with our league and knows how to keep a team in and around the Europe spots year on year. Solid appointment if not particularly exciting would be my verdict. Still crossing fingers for FDB or AVB mind you. What's others thoughts on this?

Moyes wouldn't be a bad option. At least he'd be more prepared to give some of the academy lads a chance. I think there are a better options though.

It's wind up right? Moyes? It is a wind up.

I've been mowing the lawn and had some thoughts.

FDB seemingly wants reassurances that we are going to keep the squad and not sell. If that is the case then he is the wrong man for the job. At Saints we all want that, but that isn't how football works. You have to take the rough with the smooth, and FDB like RK and MP, is happy to take the smooth, but is unrealistic about the rough. I guess that that defines the stepping stone manager. Only interested in themselves, and therefore cannot accept the rough which happens to a greater or lesser extent at all clubs. It's just that when it happens to the richest clubs, they can drop £30m+ on a ready made replacement.

After Pochettino and Koeman, Moyes would be **** and a definite step backwards.

We have been in the top 8 of the 'best league in the world' for the last three season so lets show a little ambition.

If anyone on here had said a few months ago "lets replace Koeman with Moyes" they would (rightly) have been ridiculed.

He would be a step down in every sense.

Why would he be a step down? If you analyse it properly there is no reason why it would be. Happy to listen to your reasons, but this is someone who got Everton into the Champions League. Everton.

Why would he be a step down? If you analyse it properly there is no reason why it would be. Happy to listen to your reasons, but this is someone who got Everton into the Champions League. Everton.

I think it's more a case of there being better options readily available. If these better options don't want to come here then fine lets take a look at Moyes, but as it stands I agree that he'd be a step down and not our style at all.

I've been mowing the lawn and had some thoughts.

FDB seemingly wants reassurances that we are going to keep the squad and not sell. If that is the case then he is the wrong man for the job. At Saints we all want that, but that isn't how football works. You have to take the rough with the smooth, and FDB like RK and MP, is happy to take the smooth, but is unrealistic about the rough. I guess that that defines the stepping stone manager. Only interested in themselves, and therefore cannot accept the rough which happens to a greater or lesser extent at all clubs. It's just that when it happens to the richest clubs, they can drop £30m+ on a ready made replacement.

Doesnt every manager want some kind of reassurances tho? And seems logical to me. What happens if the board sells half the team and you dont get any replacements? Big chance you will drop far down on the table and suddenly nobody gives a **** about you anymore and the fans rather see you go because you lose game after game and the manager is always the first to go.

There isnt a manager with ambition thats going to jump into Southampton right now without getting some kind of reassurances.

How much do people think Emery & Pellegrini will want? Seeing as we couldn't get near what Everton are paying Koeman do people really think either one is feasible?

We just got 5m from everton to help with that

Sent from my HUAWEI GRA-L09 using Tapatalk

How much do people think Emery & Pellegrini will want? Seeing as we couldn't get near what Everton are paying Koeman do people really think either one is feasible?

Emery wouldn't join Saints. Pellegrini was apparently on just over 4mil at City so it's certainly more than we usually pay but not unfeasible.

Twitter suggesting FdB has rejected Lazio (either talking with them or joining them) and wants to come to the Premier League. Don't know if he is any good or not but we may be his only option in that case...

That's what it says here

http://www.repubblica.it/sport/calcio/serie-a/lazio/2016/06/08/news/lazio_trattativa_con_bielsa_de_boer_dice_no-141557271/?ref=search

Pellegrini wants a job in the PL doesn't he? so he'd probably have to take a pay cut as all the big teams (and Everton) are sorted for managers if that's the case.

Can't believe Emery is on that much at Seville. They aren't loaded in the cash department are they? however he is PSGs first choice, by the looks of it, and we aren't going to compete with them on wages.

Doesnt every manager want some kind of reassurances tho? And seems logical to me. What happens if the board sells half the team and you dont get any replacements? Big chance you will drop far down on the table and suddenly nobody gives a **** about you anymore and the fans rather see you go because you lose game after game and the manager is always the first to go.

There isnt a manager with ambition thats going to jump into Southampton right now without getting some kind of reassurances.

Yes, but I'm not talking Blackpool as you are. Managers seem to take the job knowing what's what, and then when it happens they seem to be disillusioned. You can't pay players with money you don't have, and you can't hold a gun to their heads and make them sign contract extensions. Very few clubs are going to let a contract run down to nothing and let the player go on a free, so they get sold. So be it. How many times do we hear managers say that if a player doesn't want to be at a club then they should be sold, only then to whinge about it when they are sold?

Emery wouldn't join Saints. Pellegrini was apparently on just over 4mil at City so it's certainly more than we usually pay but not unfeasible.

Pellegrini was on £4m but now he is on £0.

I'm sure he realises that he was earning £4m at one of the richest clubs in the world. It might be that he treated the City job as a period of high transitory income rather than using it as a benchmark by which to judge all future opportunities against. Just looking at it from a different angle...

Love the photo. I expect to see this face everytime Pelle tries a flick-on without looking up first. (If that's him because it doesnt look much like other photos of him i've seen and i don't read dutch :) )

Edited by Mallagroth

I'm sure he realises that he was earning £4m at one of the richest clubs in the world. It might be that he treated the City job as a period of high transitory income rather than using it as a benchmark by which to judge all future opportunities against. Just looking at it from a different angle...

In any event we were paying Koeman £2.5m. The Everton compo would cover the difference for three years so we wouldnt be out of pocket.

For sure. He's a realistic target and I think we could get him for a similar wage to what Koeman was on.

With that in mind I don't see how we could even consider someone like Moyes unless of course Pellegrini isn't interested. He has stated though that he'd like to stay in the Premier League and that pretty much gives him one option! Likewise with Frank de Boer.

BIB .... or as we call it, a Stepping Stone ;)

My personal opinion is that both Pochettino and Koeman are more exciting, inspiring leaders than Moyes and as much of the narrative on here is that we always get someone better when a good employee leaves, I don't think Moyes is even on the same level as Koeman or Poch personally.

A largely drab style, reluctance to give young players a chance (continually farmed Barkley out on loan when they had dross playing each week) and I think the era of dour Scots was in its pomp a few years back.

Moyes is probably the only name seriously mentioned that I would be actively disappointed with. The others (Howe, AVB, De Boer, even Rowett) I could all understand.

Not sure why Pellegrini keeps getting mentioned to be honest.

Doesn't fit our profile and Guan said he would be shocked if he was in the frame.

This is true. I'm pretty sure Guan also dropped a hint that AVB was our number one target when this all first kicked off

I thought that - there was the ,:), post from Guan when AVB was listed in the middle of two other candidates by someone else.

That's the one. Not exactly concrete evidence but perhaps enough to suggest he's our man!

Love the fact that guan is gospel. ?

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Nobody said he is gospel but he has a track record of being right and if he says he would be shocked if Pellegrini was appointed then I would say its good info.

Besides, its clear Pellegrini isn't the profile we are seeking anyway.

My personal opinion is that both Pochettino and Koeman are more exciting, inspiring leaders than Moyes and as much of the narrative on here is that we always get someone better when a good employee leaves, I don't think Moyes is even on the same level as Koeman or Poch personally.

A largely drab style, reluctance to give young players a chance (continually farmed Barkley out on loan when they had dross playing each week) and I think the era of dour Scots was in its pomp a few years back.

Moyes is probably the only name seriously mentioned that I would be actively disappointed with. The others (Howe, AVB, De Boer, even Rowett) I could all understand.

Rowett above Moyes? Really? Wow. Ok, well if you're that down on Moyes then you will be disappointed.