New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

It's interesting that when you look on Oddschecker, they have Roberto Mancini at 33/1 as the most popular bet to date for our next manager.

Unless I've just missed it, I'd not really heard his name muted. Probably because he manages Inter and its unlikely, but strange that they've had more interest in that bet than any other.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/southampton/next-permanent-manager

Vitor Pereira doesn't even make it onto that list of 69 managers, most of which are highly unlikely. Makes it even stranger that The Echo have plucked his name out of the blue IMO...

Edited by trousers

Vitor Pereira doesn't even make it onto that list of 69 managers, most of which are highly unlikely. Makes it even stranger that The Echo have plucked his name out of the blue IMO...

Very odd. That alone is worth a fiver surely if he was on the list!

It's interesting that when you look on Oddschecker, they have Roberto Mancini at 33/1 as the most popular bet to date for our next manager.

Unless I've just missed it, I'd not really heard his name muted. Probably because he manages Inter and its unlikely, but strange that they've had more interest in that bet than any other.

http://www.oddschecker.com/football/football-specials/southampton/next-permanent-manager

You won't hear it if it's 'mute', will you? Moot, on the other hand ... Is this the Sk8 mongboard in disguise?

Something smells fishy.....

*sits back and waits for lewd comments*

This is an interesting list - ranking every coach in the world, I like the look of nuber 36 Argel F*cks, Koeman is only 68

Like the look of Marcelino - ranked no.7 at Villareal - http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/meet-la-ligas-most-demand-coach-whos-destined-big-move-elsewhere

Actually after reading what he has done in the last 2 years I would defo have him as my current favourite.

http://www.coachworldranking.com/ranking-coaches.aspx

Edited by Convict Colony

This is an interesting list - ranking every coach in the world, I like the look of nuber 36 Argel F*cks, Koeman is only 68

Like the look of Marcelino - ranked no.7 at Villareal - http://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/meet-la-ligas-most-demand-coach-whos-destined-big-move-elsewhere

Actually after reading what he has done in the last 2 years I would defo have him as my current favourite.

Like the look of Leonid Slutsky, a dream team with Argel perhaps?

You won't hear it if it's 'mute', will you? Moot, on the other hand ... Is this the Sk8 mongboard in disguise?

My word we get some c*cks on the site these days.... you must be fun at parties mate!

I apologise to you unreservedly for the typo, please forgive me for being a mong!!?

Pereira on his philosophy...

“I like my teams to have total control, of the ball, of the game,” he said.

“I like to see my teams pressing very aggressively, very high up the pitch.

“The important thing is the balance between the attacking and defensive elements, but pressing high is the best way to defend. We have had the best defence in Portugal for the last two years.”

“There are two parts to our job. One is to find the young players before other clubs do.

“And then the other part is to help develop them. We look in countries where players tend to have creativity in their game, and then the coach’s job here is to teach them the tactics, the organisation, that you need to thrive in Europe. The players who move on take most of the credit, but for the coaches it is proof that we are doing our job.

“It is an honour for me to have worked with so many fantastic players. It is a point of pride to see them move on, to a better league, because it is a mark of my work.

He's also a fluent English speaker.

Hmm.......more than you can say for most of the Prem. managers........No! not you Sam......:lol:

Ha ha, winner! 39f80d98ef205e2a5c65c68114d1c0ef.jpg

Following on from the link above, I'm trying to think of a few more unusual appointments! Worth bearing in mind though, that while Pochettino was a surprise appointment, Koeman was one of the favourites from the off:

What about Eusebio di Francesco of Sassuolo? Highly regarded in Italy I believe, and no doubting that what he has achieved there is impressive. I suppose Fiorentina are too big a club to tempt Paulo Sousa away from?

In Spain, Eduardo Berizzo is doing a good job with Celta and also from the Bielsa school (funny how being a disciple of Bielsa automatically qualifies you as worth considering, even though Bielsa is not exactly the greatest manager to ever live...!) A quick read of Berizzo's wikipedia might hold a question mark over his personal views though...!

Following on from the link above, I'm trying to think of a few more unusual appointments! Worth bearing in mind though, that while Pochettino was a surprise appointment, Koeman was one of the favourites from the off:

What about Eusebio di Francesco of Sassuolo? Highly regarded in Italy I believe, and no doubting that what he has achieved there is impressive. I suppose Fiorentina are too big a club to tempt Paulo Sousa away from?

In Spain, Eduardo Berizzo is doing a good job with Celta and also from the Bielsa school (funny how being a disciple of Bielsa automatically qualifies you as worth considering, even though Bielsa is not exactly the greatest manager to ever live...!) A quick read of Berizzo's wikipedia might hold a question mark over his personal views though...!

Is there an actual Bielsa school somewhere...Seems to have so many students graduated from it into the professional game.

Somehow don't think we are going hire him having a look at this quote from when he left Marseille....

Shortly after leaving Marseille, Berizzo spoke out against alleged homosexuality in France:

"A bunch of faggots is what you have in French football. There are so many homosexual players there, they always provoke you, they touch your thighs, your bum, to see if you will give some kind of signal. I feel disgusted when a homosexual shares the same shower and stares at one's bum with desire, and even gets emotional when you are naked."

Edited by Saint IQ

Is there an actual Bielsa school somewhere...Seems to have so many students graduated from it into the professional game.

Somehow don't think we are going hire him having a look at this quote from when he left Marseille....

Shortly after leaving Marseille, Berizzo spoke out against alleged homosexuality in France:

"A bunch of faggots is what you have in French football. There are so many homosexual players there, they always provoke you, they touch your thighs, your bum, to see if you will give some kind of signal. I feel disgusted when a homosexual shares the same shower and stares at one's bum with desire, and even gets emotional when you are naked."

Well, he sounds like a nice chap...

Yep, that's what I was referencing in my last sentence...

Wouldn't be surprised if Marian Pahars applies for the job.

Interviewed him for a University project, and one of the things he said was that whilst he loves managing his country (who wouldn't?), the one thing that he doesn't like is that he doesn't get to spend enough time on the training pitch. Basically he'd want a club job afterwards. Don't think it would be at Saints obviously, but wouldn't be surprised if he went to Russia for a club job, particularly Spartak as he is a fan and the coach who has helped him a lot, Aleksandrs Starkovs, managed there for a time.

Really loves Saints though; first thing he said after saying hello etc. is talk about the Newcastle game that had just gone in April, how much he likes Shane Long and how well Saints were doing.

Hard to argue with much of that.

True, but he has never been known to put out teams playing scintillating football - even the article refers to his more disciplined approach. Good discipline is not a bad thing of course, but I would like to us play with a bit more fluidity and excitement going forwards if possible.

Bloody hell could you imagine the media over here if a PL manager said that.

Answer my own question he also manages two other managers

John van den Brom of AZ

Aron winter who apparently coaches the Dutch under under 18s

So I guess they were just *****ing about Koeman ( or talking about Pelle as I see Albers is his agent to)

I think it could be John van den Brom they have been talking about. On the exception of a poor time at Anderlecht he has done well at every other club.

Interesting.

My downer on AvB (are we using 'AvB' or 'AVB' or even 'AVb' by the way? - I think we need to get some common grammar going on....).

My downer on him is the apparently dull football he plays. I want entertainment.

After looking through the Spanish league earlier and in particular reading about the relatively small teams doing well, I came across some familiar names like Pepe Mel and Juande Ramos and it made me wonder whether Emery could be another who is undoubtedly good but may struggle to adapt in England. He has had one job outside Spain at Spartak and didn't do particularly well. Just a thought. And we're not likely to get him anyway.

Pellegrini linked to AC Milan now, could we shortly be crossing another name from the poll?!

Just having to update this thread as I have now flip flopped to Marcelino the coach of Villareal based on what a fantastic job he has done and how his slide play, check out his rating and the article on the other manager thread I linked.

I mentioned him 2-3 days ago, along with roger Schmidt at Bayer Leverkusen.

Perreira seems to be in the same mould so hoping these are on the radar too. Will do some reading on perreira

Forget about AVB and RDB both are way down the shortlist.

Very interesting. Of the names first mentioned only Moyes is still available/hasn't given an indication he doesn't want it. Surely he wouldn't been seen as a good "change of direction"?

I think we might see another more unknown (at least in the UK) appointment.