New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

I know nothing about De Boer's managerial career, why do so many seem to rate him? It's a very poor league, Koeman at least had experience elsewhere.

Bar the cup win at Valencia RK hadn't exactly covered himself in glory though had he, it was only at Feyenoord he did well. I might be wrong though

If you look at RK's WIKI page it shows that several of his Managerial jobs were not all that successful. So, we shall see how he does at a club where the expectations will be far higher now with the new ownership and with the demanding fan base.

CkHs2m8WUAASyjY.jpg

Photo allegedly showing de Boer, his agent and Les Reed amongst others outside St. Mary's. Very blurry and not close enough for earlobe analysis.

At least it's good to see a queue going in at this time. When was the picture taken?

That's just a random selection of people... nothing to suggest FdB or Les are there. Looks more like the end of a fag break at some corporate event. Chap with his sleeves rolled up at the back, younger fella looking at his phone and a few in suits.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Would love Emery or Pellegrini but realistically I think we'll end up with Howe, Moyes or Mark Hughes.

Agree Emery will be out of our league. Not sureif Pellegrini would be interested, he may be as he wants to stay in England.

Howe will be in the thoughts you would think but Moyes and Hughes aren't really our style and not sure Hughes would see us a worthwhile step up from Stoke aside from us being in the EL.

What do people see as the attraction with AVB?

I think he would be quite a risk. Hasnt been very popular at his other two PL clubs, can rub the media up the wrong way too, plus a bit of a rep for dull football despite getting quite a few points at Spurs the one season.

If he wasn't foreign I wonder if people would be as keen.

The best thing about Koeman was his calm persona and character and I don't personally see AVB as being in that mould.

I think he would be quite a risk. Hasnt been very popular at his other two PL clubs, can rub the media up the wrong way too, plus a bit of a rep for dull football despite getting quite a few points at Spurs the one season.

a790414dfe281dc9c00c0382d2d27672.png

Young manager. Forward-thinking, meticulous attention to detail. In many respects I think he would fit in well with the club's hierarchy and values.

Hit a rocky patch at Spurs and Levy got trigger finger and then, err, got Sherwood in. When Ronald had a rocky patch, Les stuck by him.

Think AVB has quite a long-term approach, I recall him being brought in at Chelsea to freshen things up and then Abramovich binned him off when he tried to move JT towards the exit door and upset Terry and Lampard in doing so.

The best thing about Koeman was his calm persona and character and I don't personally see AVB as being in that mould.

Equally...

What do people see as the attraction with Pochettino?

I think he would be quite a risk. He's never managed in the PL, can rub people up the wrong way and got sacked with his team bottom of La Liga.

or...

What do people see as the attraction with Koeman?

I think he would be quite a risk. Hasn't been successful everywhere he's been, been sacked a couple of times and can rub people up the wrong way. Plays more direct football than Pochettino.

Swings and roundabouts.

AVB won stuff at Porto and Zenit, bith big teams that always dominate the leagues they are in. Would expect trophies every year at those clubs.

He just always came across as a bit of an aloof character in the PL.

Not saying he isnt worth considering, just doesn't immediately seem ideal for us IMO, mostly based on character and his handling of/image in the media, which is quite important I think. Immediately when Koeman joined we got less stick in the media because he was liked and respected.

Edited by Saint Charlie

AVB won stuff at Porto and Zenit, bith big teams that always dominate the leagues they are in. Would expect trophies every year at those clubs.

He just always came across as a bit of an aloof character in the PL.

You can say exactly the same about Koeman's managerial career as you have in that top line.

Only one trophy outside of Holland/Portugal and that was the Spanish Cup with Valencia, who then sacked him because they nearly went down.

He hasn't won anything in England yet, either.

You can say exactly the same about Koeman's managerial career as you have in that top line.

Only one trophy outside of Holland/Portugal and that was the Spanish Cup with Valencia, who then sacked him because they nearly went down.

He hasn't won anything in England yet, either.

Not really bothered about trophies won though because we arent going to be winning a PL and at those type of clubs in those leagues trophies are a given.

Adkins would win domestic trophies with Porto or Zenit most likely.

Its the character and approach of AVB that I am not sure of from his time in England. The media savaged him and fans of Chelsea and Spurs didn't like him. Certainly due in part to circumstances at Chelsea especially but worth considering when forming a judgement. Has never stayed anywhere very long either.

Edited by Saint Charlie

What are peoples obsession with former players who have never managed? (I'm not really taking into account the il-fated 5month stint at Valencia).

Let an NPC club give them their english football chance. We can attract proven.

Not really bothered about trophies won though because we arent going to be winning a PL.

Adkins would win trophies with Porto or Zenit most likely.

Its the character and approach of AVB that I am not sure of from his time in England. The media savaged him and fans of Chelsea and Spurs didn't like him.

Which begs the question, why were you bringing up trophies then?

Yes, I think AVB can be a bit *****ly sometimes but I'll leave that up to Les and co to decide. I think he's got a good CV and would be an interesting appointment.

Which begs the question, why were you bringing up trophies then?

Yes, I think AVB can be a bit *****ly sometimes but I'll leave that up to Les and co to decide. I think he's got a good CV and would be an interesting appointment.

You brought up trophies in the screenshot as a reason he would be an attractive proposition!

You brought up trophies in the screenshot as a reason he would be an attractive proposition!

I did. But it was you who dismissed his achievements rather than just taking the approach of 'I don't think trophies matter' from the off.

We'll see what happens. I think he's well-suited to us, people learn and he's still not even 40.

I think AVB is the left field option as he doesn't fit the Southampton ethos in some ways.He must be seen as a step up from Koeman though as he has won domestic and European trophies.I think we need to make a hefty statement with this next appointment.We've made a step up each time and need to turn this negative into a positive.I cant say how I know but the board were looking to match the wages until they got a bit rediculous and the new Everton chairman is looking to make a statement.I think we have some money to throw at the next one so that's what we need to do.

Bar the cup win at Valencia RK hadn't exactly covered himself in glory though had he, it was only at Feyenoord he did well. I might be wrong though

Won the Eredivisie with both PSV and Ajax. Had a good run in the CL with Ajax as well being kicked out of the CL by a last minute Milan goal in the QF.

He does have a history of "not being loyal". He walked out of his first job at Vitesse midseason when Ajax came along and left PSV after winning the league because Valencia wanted him.

I follow Ajax quite closely as a former season ticket holder and he's a good coach. He's won the league 4 times in a row with Ajax which is a club record. He's done it with mainly homegrown players which will probably appeal to Saints management. I'm not sure he's tactically flexible enough for the PL. Ajax is quite dogmatic about their formation and playing style, at Saints he'd have to be a lot more flexible.

My personal favourite is Rudy Garcia.

I did. But it was you who dismissed his achievements rather than just taking the approach of 'I don't think trophies matter' from the off.

We'll see what happens. I think he's well-suited to us, people learn and he's still not even 40.

He is definitely still young, amazing really that he has that experience for a Manager under 40.

Still not sure what makes him especially well suited to us though beyond his age. At the end of the day he has been sacked quite early into his tenure both times he has managed in England, which whilst it happens is a bit of a concern and he has said himself he didn't have a good time in England.

It could be better the next time but there isn't much I've seen to suggest his Chelsea and Spurs experiences (especially Spurs) were the exception and that doing well (at big teams in poor leagues) is the norm.

If Everton had gone for AVB last week very few on here would have talked it up as a great appointment.

Edited by Saint Charlie