New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

I am starting to warm to FDB having read a few articles regarding his tactics (outside of the boot, squawka & 442)

He plays the traditional Dutch way of 4-3-3 and wants his players to be more intelligent and technically able. The Squawka article implied that his version of 4-3-3 was more like the Spain false 9 system, so more midfielders than genuine attackers - In having possession and switching play waiting to create space behind the defence. He also gave them license to be fluid, so making the decision when to be direct and go direct to goal. Although he was not afraid of changing to a more direct 4-3-3 with pacy, direct wide front 2 when the opposition was stronger, i.e fast counter.

So yes the negatives are that his team came across as boring, but I wander how much that was to do with the players he had available (dominantly youth with Erikson, Suarez leaving amongst others), where creating space and intelligence is not an easy trait, passing it around and keeping possession is easy enough - having the players that suddenly make space and someone to pass it is the key. But Long and Mane would have a field day with that licence to create space and could Tadic, Davis or dare I say it JWP be that intelligent false 9? Pelle has the ball to feet skills to drop deeper, not seen enough of Austin but he seems more of a traditional no. 9. Also in his 4-3-3 you would only need 1 holding mid, so losing Wanyama might not be disastrous.

I also believe certain clubs are the right for a manager and I think we suited Ron at the right time for everyone involved so would not be surprised if it does not work at Everton. FDB wants to manage in the EPL and likes good passing technical players & puts faith in youth - again it feels like both parties suit each other.

His key coach is also Bergkamp - what a player our forwards could learn from to be more clinical!!!

Just my thoughts but am getting more comfortable in taking a risk on an unproven manager like FDB (unproven in that managed 1 club in 1 league)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting thanks.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-plan-new-sadio-mane-8143189

De Boer linked again in The Mirror. Other non manager related stuff:

- Club want to extend Long and Mane contracts

- Mane more open to staying now Koeman is gone since they fell out.

- Pelle and Wanyama will leave.

- Club doesn't feel losing Koeman is as bad as losing Pochettino, since star players were more loyal to Poch and wanted out as soon as he was gone

Whoever comes in I hope it's just a continuation of the previous few years, no need for major changes as we have shown how we have been performing clearly works.

Kinda excited about the possible options Bergkamp as assistant might bring. Get on the phone to AW and get the OX on board first.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/southampton-plan-new-sadio-mane-8143189

- Club doesn't feel losing Koeman is as bad as losing Pochettino, since star players were more loyal to Poch and wanted out as soon as he was gone

Would be great to hear from the ITKs to confirm this.

...and yet we haven't sold any players to Spurs since Pochettino left... so they have new managers at other clubs... so I find that as a theory hard to grasp. They left for the money, not Pochettino.

...and yet we haven't sold any players to Spurs since Pochettino left... so they have new managers at other clubs... so I find that as a theory hard to grasp. They left for the money, not Pochettino.

Poch leaving just gave them a half-arsed excuse.

So we're going to offer FDB more money than we offered Koeman ...

Not sure we know for sure do we? If RK was already on £2.5m then £3m would be what I'd expect was the ballpark for his extension and any replacement. The most interesting thing about that article is the what Lazio can offer - shows the power of the new TV deal for middling English clubs vs Italian and Spanish equivalents.

Not sure we know for sure do we? If RK was already on £2.5m then £3m would be what I'd expect was the ballpark for his extension and any replacement. The most interesting thing about that article is the what Lazio can offer - shows the power of the new TV deal for middling English clubs vs Italian and Spanish equivalents.

Ahhh ok I thought the £2.5m for Koeman was his new improved contract offer.

A manager will usually issue an "I'm not interested" statement as a face-saver when he knows he's going to be considered.

Bournemouth Echo usually very close to everything at Bournemouth.

Will.probably be another one where they claim he turned us down but we didn't actually offer anything.

Although so far quite a few have denied interest which hopefully isn't the case.

Bournemouth Echo usually very close to everything at Bournemouth.

Will.probably be another one where they claim he turned us down but we didn't actually offer anything.

Although so far quite a few have denied interest which hopefully isn't the case.

Tbh I think I'll get over the disappointment of Eddie not wanting to come here pretty fast......there you go I'm over it.

Tbh I think I'll get over the disappointment of Eddie not wanting to come here pretty fast......there you go I'm over it.

Yeah he wouldn't be everyone's choice but if the Club rate him as highly as has been stated it would be a shame for them to not even be able to speak to him. I want them to get their first choice rather than mine.

Would Laurent Blanc too ambitious for us? Has a great record in Ligue 1, even with Bordeaux and think he done well in Europe with them also?

Dont see why he should be. Top 6, European football next season, we tick a lot of boxes.

If he wants to manage in England then ok we might just be a stepping stone again but that can be said for anyone as we have found out over the years.