New Manager Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Who should replace Ronald Koeman?  

745 members have voted

1. 1. Who should replace Ronald Koeman?

What about Christophe Galtier at the eternal youth production facility known as Saint Etienne.

He has been in the press recently talking about looking for a new challenge ?

"Christophe Galtier has kept Saint-Etienne in the upper echelons of Ligue 1, breathing down the necks of the financially buoyed Paris Saint-Germain and Monaco despite having a fraction of their budgets. He's made astute signings since his became the club's manager, picking up bargain buys and making them look like €10-15 million players."

Sounds decent, non ?

If it's someone with European experience then we can narrow the search down a bit.

Christophe Galtier got through the Europa League group stages with Saint-Étienne last season.

Galtier sounds interesting, but on Googling him :

this says he's looking for something new: http://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/galtier-ready-saint-etienne-exit

but this article suggests his ultimate ambition is Liverpool: http://www.express.co.uk/sport/football/618323/Jurgen-Klopp-Christophe-Galtier-Liverpool-Transfer-News-Gossip

So, in that case...

If the final three is Garcia, De Boer - as stated in the Telegraph - and then Puel as the mystery man, then who would people want?

I'll go first... Garcia for me.

Why on earth would Puel need to be a mystery? Out of work and barely anyone knows or cares who he is. It's Deschamps.

Looks effing sh it as well so I imagine the La Liga relegation hipster fan-club love him.

Why on earth would Puel need to be a mystery? Out of work and barely anyone knows or cares who he is. It's Deschamps.

Looks effing sh it as well so I imagine the La Liga relegation hipster fan-club love him.

no one needs to be a mystery. But isnt it good if a club can work effectively behind closed doors?

KBSS said "If i'm honest neither were well known to me so can't say anything for or against either candidate but both would be intresting. It would to many of our fans be like when Poch was appointed, many asking who?" so it can't be Deschamps.

Who is Puel?

no one needs to be a mystery. But isnt it good if a club can work effectively behind closed doors?

That would work if club insiders weren't naming some names and then playing the "mystery" card on another.

And then people guessing names who make no sense to be a mystery in the light of names spread around that aren't a mystery. Puel "needs to be done effectively behind closed doors" but Garcia doesn't at all? How does that work? Is Puel agoraphobic or something?

It's all forum bulls hit and great fun.

Anyway I know for a fact it is definitely Deschamps.

That would work if club insiders weren't naming some names and then playing the "mystery" card on another.

And then people guessing names who make no sense to be a mystery in the light of names spread around that aren't a mystery. Puel "needs to be done effectively behind closed doors" but Garcia doesn't at all? How does that work? Is Puel agoraphobic or something?

It's all forum bulls hit and great fun.

Anyway I know for a fact it is definitely Deschamps.

Because Garcia was only named because someone lumped money on him?

KBSS said "If i'm honest neither were well known to me so can't say anything for or against either candidate but both would be intresting. It would to many of our fans be like when Poch was appointed, many asking who?" so it can't be Deschamps.

Who is Puel?

Classic KBS. Just to throw us off the scent.

The fact he hasn't specifically said it isn't Deschamps proves it is.

Is the mystery man someone other than those mentioned? Quite simply Id one of the names monitoned gets the job then those who mentioned him can claim to be ITK but if it's someone else the he is the mystery man, I a kind of who shot Phil Mitchell type way

to use a simile it was a bit like on blaze and the monster machines when everyone thought a mystery bandit was nicking all the sutiff but turns out there was no mystery bandit just another monster machine with a magnet

I'd be surprised if it turned out to be Puel as I think he is quite a defensive minded coach, whereas I think we are looking for someone who plays fairly attacking football?

Galtier sounds promising. Also think Fournier is a possibility, brings through youth, took Reims up through the leagues and then did pretty well with Lyon (even though Lyon are one of the better teams anyway). Sticking point on Fournier is I think he plays a 4-4-2, and obviously the club may not want to be associated with gangrene, as mentioned earlier... I enquired in Coral about Fournier, they offered me 25/1 - was hoping for a bit better than that to be honest!

What about Pellegrini and AVB, are they on the shortlist?

Yes - their names were spread about by ITKs on this forum but the club do need to carry out their business effectively behind closed doors or something.

Is the mystery man someone other than those mentioned? Quite simply Id one of the names monitoned gets the job then those who mentioned him can claim to be ITK but if it's someone else the he is the mystery man, I a kind of who shot Phil Mitchell type way

to use a simile it was a bit like on blaze and the monster machines when everyone thought a mystery bandit was nicking all the sutiff but turns out there was no mystery bandit just another monster machine with a magnet

Haha I have seen that episode

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's definitely either Big Ron Atkinson, Little Martin Allen or a mystery third person who I'm not going to tell you the name of but is definitely one person.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I know to be fact. If I'm right (which I am) then I secure ITK status for life.

If you ask me my money's on the third guy, but anything is still possible.

It's definitely either Big Ron Atkinson, Little Martin Allen or a mystery third person who I'm not going to tell you the name of but is definitely one person.

Don't shoot the messenger, just passing on what I know to be fact. If I'm right (which I am) then I secure ITK status for life.

If you ask me my money's on the third guy, but anything is still possible.

Guan it's not funny hacking other people's accounts.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk

Anderlecht offered Puel their manager's job but he rejected it last Friday.

He has exclusively managed in France. Started off at Monaco, won Ligue 1 and the Trophée des Champions (French equivalent of the Community Shield).

Was involved in an incident during a Champions League match where Ryan Giggs scored a controversial goal and he encouraged his players to walk off the field briefly. Alex Ferguson criticised him for trying to intimidate the referee.

At Lyon, he managed them to the semi finals of the Champions League for the first time ever in their history.

At Nice, normally they are a mid table team, but this season they finished 4th (and we could possibly face them in the Europa League).

I would say that he clearly has the European expertise we desire but his lack of experience outside of France may be an issue. I wonder what his record is of developing young players.

There's an interesting interview with him. I'd translate it but I can't be bothered to do it all. But it mentions how he develops young players and has succeeded with a high turnover of players, how he had to sell his best players and replace them in a very short period of time at Nice.

http://www.eurosport.fr/football/ligue-1/2015-2016/puel-aujourd-hui-on-tresse-des-lauriers-aux-jeunes-l-an-dernier-il-fallait-les-mettre-dehors_sto4949461/story.shtml

Rudi Garcia comes across as a charismatic character just what this club needs.

Agreed think I'm now sold on this one. Either way lets get it done and move on, we need to stop this continual merry go round and it looks he would commit to the project.

Puel is beginning to look like an interesting option! Still 14's with Skybet!!

No he isn't. Plays boring and defensive football in general and this season Nice got all the plaudits for finishing 4th because Ben Arfa ran that team.

Would much prefer Garcia who has an outstanding rep for being one of the only french managers that plays attractive football and the right way.

Just to keep you up to date, KBSS has now named the mystery man as Puel on this forum just like he named the others on this forum.

So presumably we've done all the work we need to do on Puel "behind closed doors" now then.

No he isn't. Plays boring and defensive football in general and this season Nice got all the plaudits for finishing 4th because Ben Arfa ran that team.

Would much prefer Garcia who has an outstanding rep for being one of the only french managers that plays attractive football and the right way.

Must have something about him otherwise, Saints wouldn't be looking! Like the look of Rudi and FDB to be fair, but all have limitations as well. Trust board to go with the best fit

Just to keep you up to date, KBSS has now named the mystery man as Puel on this forum just like he named the others on this forum.

So presumably we've done all the work we need to do on Puel "behind closed doors" now then.

Why did this chap need to be a mystery man?

Sounds very average to me

Garcia for me.

I think you'll find kbss names no-one, he just confirms if others name names.

Think that's very telling, don't you?

Almost as if he been told. 'You can't present the name, but you can verify them'.

And that is how mystery men are created.

Don't know why you feel you need to get your g string in a twist about it.

So we have Rudi who seems to tick all the boxes, but then there was the post saying he has no plan B when things go wrong. We have Puel who seems the outsider due to defensive tendencies and appearing an average option, and then we have FDB, desperate to prove himself in Premier league. Went for FDB at the very start and going to stick I think!