Ronald Koeman Joins Everton - CONFIRMED

Jimmy_D

Agree entirely on the £100m.

Man Utd are apparently about to buy a defender for £30m. Going with that benchmark... congrats, you can afford 3 top class players... assuming they want to join a club that isn't playing in Europe and hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire for 20 years.

Or maybe they are planning to adopt the Saints model and unearth undervalued gems for £10m each. If that's so easy then what's been stopping them doing that already?

Brenda Rogers spent the Suarez money (100 million) and scraped 6th or 7th but he already had sturridge etc in the squad before that.

Whoever spent the bale money at Spurs spent 100 million and finished up getting sacked.

LVG spent 230 million wasn't it? and finished fifth!

Everton are going to spend 100 million and be champions league contenders! Lol

Agree entirely on the £100m.

Man Utd are apparently about to buy a defender for £30m. Going with that benchmark... congrats, you can afford 3 top class players... assuming they want to join a club that isn't playing in Europe and hasn't exactly been setting the world on fire for 20 years.

Or maybe they are planning to adopt the Saints model and unearth undervalued gems for £10m each. If that's so easy then what's been stopping them doing that already?

£112m got Man City Mangala, Otamendi and Sterling

So to all the Everton fans that have happened across this site - realistically where do you see your club in 5 years?

You know how Villa and Randy Lerner worked out??? You've seen nothing mate. If anyone can snatch defeat out of the jaws of potential victory it's my club Everton. We love our history but the desperation to restore the glory years has produced a paranoia almost unmatched anywhere if we had managed to do a Leicester we would have imploded and come 5th.

Proper evertonians aren't gloating just the xbox bellends who infest certain forums.

Other than

Imagine what Celtic fans think of us? No doubt some of ours go on their site telling them we are bigger lol

I'm tempted to go there right now and give them a list of things that we have done before ANY other club!!! (ps - are there any?)

You know how Villa and Randy Lerner worked out??? You've seen nothing mate. If anyone can snatch defeat out of the jaws of potential victory it's my club Everton. We love our history but the desperation to restore the glory years has produced a paranoia almost unmatched anywhere if we had managed to do a Leicester we would have imploded and come 5th.

Proper evertonians aren't gloating just the xbox bellends who infest certain forums.

Other than

Alpine Toffee!!!

Considerably less than £40m also got Saints Van Dijk, Mane & Tadic.

Money can be spent well as much as it can be spent badly.

It's exponential though. Pelle cost £8m, a striker twice as good wouldn't cost £16m, he would cost £40m.

The problem Everton have now is that they've made a statement. Everyone knows they've got cash to spend and will want the lions share when Everton come knocking.

I will refer back to my Damien Duff example. A good £10m player back in 2003 but when Abramovic came sniffing, that'll be £18m please. Everton are now in the same boat.

I think success comes from first accepting where you are and that you have no entitlement to anything. Im not singling Everton out, many fans think that because they were successful at one time they are owed it again.

Koeman is a good start. Its good for you you've also got Erwin. But EFC have got an awful lot of rebuilding to do, not just with the team but in the organisation. Publicly announcing you are going to throw £100m at a problem isnt the most promising start. Think three years minimum.

I'm tempted to go there right now and give them a list of things that we have done before ANY other club!!! (ps - are there any?)

we invented football in Brazil. indirectly, we are responsible for the winning of 5 world cups, and some of most scintillating football the world has seen. i think this makes our history better than anyones. west ham only won one world cup, and the so called big history clubs like everton and liverpool haven't won any.

End of they day if you asked the majority of Everton fans would they rather finish the season how saints did or everton I am pretty positive they would say saints......

That for me means it's a very strange decision Koeman going to everton

I'm Sorry, I feel I have to reply on behalf of my Everton friend. You clearly don't understand the history of our club. Let me enlighten you with a few of the many facts about Everton.

* Founder members of the Football League in 1888

* Founder members of the Premier League in 1992

* First club presented with the League Championship trophy

* First club to be presented with League winners medals

* First club to stage an FA Cup Final in 1894

* First English club to go on an overseas tour in 1905

* First club to build a purpose-built football stadium

* First club to have a four-side stadium with two-tier stands

* First club to have a stadium with a three-tier stand

* First club to issue a regular match programme

* First club to have a player score 60 league goals

* First club to wear numbered shirts, 1-11 in 1933

* First club to install dugouts

* First club to install floodlights

* First club to install under soil heating

* First club to play 4,000 top-flight games

* First club to amass 5,000 league points

* First club to play 100 seasons in the top flight

* First British club to stage a World Cup semi-final

* Have been in the top division of English football longer than ANY other side

There are more trivial ones I could quote and I haven't mentioned titles or cups but you get the picture. This club has more History than any other club in the country and Everton fans are rightly proud of this fact. So to compare us to the likes of Wolves and Burnley is misguided and foolish.

I will admit that the love of that history combined with 30 years of frustration and over excitement has led to some ill advised, condescending and downright nasty comments by some of my fellow supporters, but I am sure you will agree there has been an equal amount of vitriol on behalf of some of the Southampton fans.

We all love our clubs and we want what's best for them but there is no need to turn it into a hate campaign.

To clear up some other points made on this forum regarding the so called "ambition" of the club. As I see it, a site on the Mersey waterfront has been identified for a 55/60,000 seater stadium which with Everton's large fan base it will fill, together with a massive improvement in corporate revenue (which is nearly non existent at Goodison) and stadium naming rights will massively increase revenue for the club to be able to compete at a much higher level financially. Obviously the biggest resource is the fan-base and the new stadium.

As for poaching managers, that's football. It happens. Personally I hope he doesn't go back for any of your players, Its not that they aren't any good but just that we would have to pay vastly over inflated prices.

finally, before you say it, no I don't have a job as I am retired after working for the same company for 30 years. I went to my first match in 1971.

Thought that this was written by some ginger , spotty schoolboy whose life has just been enriched by having Koeman as his club,s new manager. Turns out it was written by a " senior citizen ".

Disappointed that it's gone from Koeman confirming he'll be here next season, to being in talks for a new deal, then going to Everton in such a short space of time. Wonder if he wanted funds to take us to the next level as part of a new contract but we didn't match the ambition similar the Strachan situation so he's moving on.

Perhaps it's a lot more simple and he's just a money grabbing ****. Still not convinced he's taking a step up, regardless of 'history'.

Mirror says there isn't a clause stopping Koeman from raiding Saints

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-agree-ronald-koeman-deal-8135351

Let us hope that is not true Sister Margaret.

Ephesians 4:28

Let the thief no longer steal, but rather let him labor, doing honest work with his own hands, so that he may have something to share with anyone in need

It's exponential though. Pelle cost £8m, a striker twice as good wouldn't cost £16m, he would cost £40m.

The problem Everton have now is that they've made a statement. Everyone knows they've got cash to spend and will want the lions share when Everton come knocking.

I will refer back to my Damien Duff example. A good £10m player back in 2003 but when Abramovic came sniffing, that'll be £18m please. Everton are now in the same boat.

Probably have to go all the way back to 2003 for £100m to actually be enough to take a middle of the road side and transform it into a challenger.

interesting...

Perhaps more important is the transfer budget that Everton are promising, with investor Farhad Moshiri clearly determined to make a major statement in his first summer at the club after being unable to influence decision-making at Arsenal where he jointly held a 30 per cent stake.

going to be a hands on type is he...

Does sound like the club were stitched up by Koeman.

And if that article is true, we're only starting the ball rolling to get a replacement now.

Sounds like we were in a very settled position, starting recruiting players, all that takes a major step back.

Mirror says there isn't a clause stopping Koeman from raiding Saints

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/everton-agree-ronald-koeman-deal-8135351

Clauses are irrelevant it is up to us if we sell and assume the response to any enquiries will be a simple come back with double that offer or get stuffed, I would have no problem selling players to them provided they are willing to pay the same idiot tax they have paid for our manager silly season is definitely in full swing if managers command 5m transfer fees hell that's more than we paid for Rory the Long throw Delap (why did that never work for us?)!

Does sound like the club were stitched up by Koeman.

And if that article is true, we're only starting the ball rolling to get a replacement now.

Sounds like we were in a very settled position, starting recruiting players, all that takes a major step back.

He said he was staying so many times I certainly believed him I imagine the club did to.

Hello lads. Thanks for letting us have Ronald.

Who's up for a good old FFP discussion?

Lol outdated concept..don't worry you get on with spending the blokes money (who really wanted arsenal but couldn't afford a big club so bought a small cheap one with an old ground.).you know the ones with pillars that mean you can't see part of the pitch. He will have a shock when he realises it's not like the Emirates and he is sat on a wooden bench in the directors box!

The really funny part is that he is not that good so we will smile when he fails to take your lower mid table outfit to top six and gets sacked.....

Gloat all you like you will soon find out he has severe limitations ....

Can't see Everton breaking into the top 6 in the next 5 years. The sort of player they'd need to attract just won't want to join them.They,re the 4th biggest club in the north west with the 4th best manager. Man City will offer more money, champions league football and Pep. Man United can offer European football and Jose. Liverpool have proved last year they can perform in Europe, can offer the chance to work with Klopp and as it is apparently so important, a far greater history than Everton. and all of that is before mentioning the clubs that can offer the big city life in London that Everton will have to compete against in Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs.

If they'd had a big investment 10 years ago, Everton could have transformed themselves into a club the size of Chelsea and Spurs. Not a massive club, but one that can push for titles and regularly compete in Europe. They didn't so have fallen back into the next group of clubs, West Ham, Southampton, Stoke. We're clubs that don't have the big money (£100m will be nothing to the big clubs this summer). We have 2 choices in the transfer market. We can either go for big names who have never hit the top (Shaquiri, Bojan, Afellay) or we can set up a scouting system that looks across the world for hidden talents waiting to be unearthed that nobody has taken a gamble on before. The former option is easier but will cost you more in wages and you have to question why it hasn't worked for these players before despite their obvious talent. The latter option involves more risk and takes time to build the network that will make sure you are making the right decisions but when it works, you can find some real gems (mane, payet etc.).

To go and spend as much as they have on a manager hints that Everton will choose the former option in their hunt for instant success. Southampton are the opposite, we've created a system where the manager of the first team isn't so important that we can't afford to let him go (if we'd matched Everton's offer he'd probably have stayed). We've got a structure where we can bring someone else into the fold with minimum effort, something that could and probably would if it weren't for the pr gaffes, been seamless.

When Cortese and Liebherr first came in, they spoke about 'The Southampton Way', creating a playing style that we would become known for but it's become more than that, it's a culture that's been created where the club is more important than one or two individuals who will come and go. Everton have proved with this appointment that they are willing to throw money at problems to try and solve them. I'd rather do things 'The Southampton Way' than risk the future of my football club.

You're on a wind-up (if it wasn't already obvious), that's likely the third time you've posed such a question without actually elaborating.

I'm guessing the 5m compensation is including all the backroom staff going with him.

Shame he is leaving, but seeing as we nearly sacked him at one point allegedly last season, before hitting a purple patch at the end of the year, I'm pretty confident of the replacement carrying on the job just as well.

Won't miss his weird subs when chasing a game either.