How do you rate Mane?

Saint Charlie

In terms of comparison to Saints attackers at the top level league across your time watching Saints where would you put Sadio?

For me, since I started watching Saints in the early 90s he would be very high. Obviously MLT is a one off Saints legend so am excluding him for this purpose.

Mane is one of those players who gets me off my seat when he gets the ball, even if just inside the opposition half. He has the ability to beat a man from a standing start, exceptional 1vs 1 with a defender and generally solid finisher (although can certainly improve when he has more time to think about it).

Bale is obviously someone who will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play for Saints but whilst here he was a left back and has obviously improved massively since he left.

Lambert massively influential and has a status far above what Mane will at Saints but you would be hard pushed to say Lambert is actually better than Mane.

Otherwise there are players who have done really well for us (Beattie, Lallana etc in my era) but not sure many who have the same ability as Mane has.

Be interested to see how he is viewed ability wise? I think he could reach the type of level Bale is at now if he keeps his head right.

Pahars also got me off my seat when he was running with the ball. Mane more exciting though, would agree our best attacker since MLT. I wonder if Mane's inconsistency won't be tolerated at his next higher level club, but when he's hot, he's almost unplayable. Wherever he ends up, I hope he's sufficiently supported through the inevitable lean spells to still have the confidence to play like he has for us. Great speed, good finisher, and, revealingly, delivers against the best teams. Could be a really top player, agree he could reach Bale levels. Current value - if Sterling = £50 but overpriced, we should hold out for £35+.

In terms of comparison to Saints attackers at the top level league across your time watching Saints where would you put Sadio?

For me, since I started watching Saints in the early 90s he would be very high. Obviously MLT is a one off Saints legend so am excluding him for this purpose.

Mane is one of those players who gets me off my seat when he gets the ball, even if just inside the opposition half. He has the ability to beat a man from a standing start, exceptional 1vs 1 with a defender and generally solid finisher (although can certainly improve when he has more time to think about it).

Bale is obviously someone who will probably go down as one of the best players to ever play for Saints but whilst here he was a left back and has obviously improved massively since he left.

Lambert massively influential and has a status far above what Mane will at Saints but you would be hard pushed to say Lambert is actually better than Mane.

Otherwise there are players who have done really well for us (Beattie, Lallana etc in my era) but not sure many who have the same ability as Mane has.

Be interested to see how he is viewed ability wise? I think he could reach the type of level Bale is at now if he keeps his head right.

I agree with you Charlie. He's one of the best players I've ever seen play for Saints, and I've been going since the 60s. His combination of pace and ball skills is breathtaking. Obviously he's still in the early stages of his career, but I'd rate him up there with Keegan and Channon. You're right. He could eventually be worth the sort of money that Bale was when Spurs sold him to Real Madrid. What a privilege it is to have such a talented player here.

He is very exciting to watch with ball at his feet but attackers are rated by goals ( and to a lesser extent assists) and his record isn't all that impressive. Mane got exactly the same number of league goals and assists as Pelle and less ( on both accounts) than Troy Deeney this season and no one gets excited about those two. Mane clearly has talent but to be a top attacker you cant really go on a 3 month goal drought mid season. Even lambert managed more goals in his two PL seasons than Mane ( though granted he did take all the pens).

I agree with you Charlie. He's one of the best players I've ever seen play for Saints, and I've been going since the 60s. His combination of pace and ball skills is breathtaking. Obviously he's still in the early stages of his career, but I'd rate him up there with Keegan and Channon. You're right. He could eventually be worth the sort of money that Bale was when Spurs sold him to Real Madrid. What a privilege it is to have such a talented player here.

Would you really rate Mane up there with Keegan and Channon? Really?

Pahars also got me off my seat when he was running with the ball. Mane more exciting though, would agree our best attacker since MLT. I wonder if Mane's inconsistency won't be tolerated at his next higher level club, but when he's hot, he's almost unplayable. Wherever he ends up, I hope he's sufficiently supported through the inevitable lean spells to still have the confidence to play like he has for us. Great speed, good finisher, and, revealingly, delivers against the best teams. Could be a really top player, agree he could reach Bale levels. Current value - if Sterling = £50 but overpriced, we should hold out for £35+.

At those prices I'm surprised Skatesmuff haven't made any bids, but paying more than a tenner up front is probably beyond their means!!

For me he ranks below Le Tiss, Pahars and Beattie, although all are obviously very good players.

He's probably on par with Lallana and Tadic for me in terms of overall contribution. Unplayable on his day but he went through a 6 month period this season where he only scored against Liverpool, albeit 4 decent goals.

He is very exciting to watch with ball at his feet but attackers are rated by goals ( and to a lesser extent assists) and his record isn't all that impressive. Mane got exactly the same number of league goals and assists as Pelle and less ( on both accounts) than Troy Deeney this season and no one gets excited about those two. Mane clearly has talent but to be a top attacker you cant really go on a 3 month goal drought mid season. Even lambert managed more goals in his two PL seasons than Mane ( though granted he did take all the pens).

I get that but I wouldn't view Mane as a striker/centre forward like Deeney, Pelle or Lambert.

He should more be compared stats wise with the likes of Sterling, Martial, Hazard, Lamela, Walcott, Sanchez etc

His goal record is up there with the best of those and the amount he has missed suggests he would be capable, with a little improvement, of scoring 15-20 PL goals which would be excellent for someone who isn't a striker.

I love Mane to bits.

Reminds me a bit of Danny and Ray Wallace, who were also speedy wingers who scored goals as well.

Hope he stays, he ceratinly gives us something extra up front and is so unpredictable, makes it impossible for teams to cope with. A bit more composure, which will come with experience, in front of goal and he's the real deal.

For me he ranks below Le Tiss, Pahars and Beattie, although all are obviously very good players.

He's probably on par with Lallana and Tadic for me in terms of overall contribution. Unplayable on his day but he went through a 6 month period this season where he only scored against Liverpool, albeit 4 decent goals.

I was meaning more in terms of ability in his time at Saints rather than always output.

Surely a better player than Beattie or Pahars? Also troubles the best teams & defenders in the league not a flat track bully.

He has enormous potential.

But no way would a top top club put up with his inconsistency.

He went months without scoring. He does however, still cause concern for the opposition. But that would not be enough for the top 4 or so. He would be straight out of the side and spend moths being a sub

He needs to stay at least another year at saints IMO

I get that but I wouldn't view Mane as a striker/centre forward like Deeney, Pelle or Lambert.

He should more be compared stats wise with the likes of Sterling, Martial, Hazard, Lamela, Walcott, Sanchez etc

His goal record is up there with the best of those and the amount he has missed suggests he would be capable, with a little improvement, of scoring 15-20 PL goals which would be excellent for someone who isn't a striker.

If you class him as a midfielder than his record is pretty good. I just think an attacking players main job is to get, or create, goals as such while no were near as exciting to watch or technically as good with the ball someone like James Beattie is far more effective in the scheme of things. I would trade Mane in for a lump of a CF who got 20-25 goals and 5-6 assists a season even if he wasn't as exciting to watch. Don't get me wrong I love it when Mane gets the ball and goes forward it's exciting but end product is what wins you games.

I was meaning more in terms of ability in his time at Saints rather than always output.

Surely a better player than Beattie or Pahars? Also troubles the best teams & defenders in the league not a flat track bully.

I wouldn't call a player who nutmegged Jaap Stam at Old Trafford a 'flat track bully'.

If you class him as a midfielder than his record is pretty good. I just think an attacking players main job is to get, or create, goals as such while no were near as exciting to watch or technically as good with the ball someone like James Beattie is far more effective in the scheme of things. I would trade Mane in for a lump of a CF who got 20-25 goals and 5-6 assists a season even if he wasn't as exciting to watch. Don't get me wrong I love it when Mane gets the ball and goes forward it's exciting but end product is what wins you games.

There is a role in between a midfielder and a striker.

He creates stacks of opportunities. Record compares very well to those players (mostly so called superstars) that I mentioned.

I definitely wouldn't trade him in for a lump of a striker. Always good watching creative, innovative players.

I love him because of his flaws. One minute he's tripping over the ball, the next he's making defenders fall over their own feet. It makes watching him exciting because you are never quite sure what will happen. On form he's one of the best players in the league.

I do wish he'd look less grumpy though. The bloke gets paid a cack load of cash to play football but can barely raise a smile even after scoring.

You've never particularly rated Mané, have you pal? Praise through gritted teeth.

Superb - as I've said before he has the quickest feet I've seen from any saints player. I'm not sure he always knows what he is doing but that makes it all the more pleasurable. Any player that can run at pace with the ball no more than 18 - 24 inches from his feet is gifted - with a little more composure he will be a top top player.

I love Mane to bits.

Reminds me a bit of Danny and Ray Wallace, who were also speedy wingers who scored goals as well.

Hope he stays, he ceratinly gives us something extra up front and is so unpredictable, makes it impossible for teams to cope with. A bit more composure, which will come with experience, in front of goal and he's the real deal.

Haha Ray Wallace!!

On form and with a sensible head on him he is virtually unplayable. 50m at least he is a proven Prem goalscorer, he is young and knows where the net is. Priceless

You forgot blistering pace with all that, that always comes at a premium....

He has been exactly what I hoped he would be - A bit of a maverick - A player with X-factor to turn a game.

Can destroy teams when he's on form. Moody & inconsistent - But I love players like him.

Early on when he signed, I told friends I think he could be a £30m player one day. Now, I'd be disappointed if we only got £30m for him.

He is outstanding and we need him. His best is yet to come

Those happy to sell for £30m need to have a word with themselves.

Agree with this. Miles better than Sterling IMO. His price tage came with the English premium and Liverpool hype obviously but Mane is a better player all round. Would be dissapointed to get anything less than £40M if based on ability and potential.

He is outstanding and we need him. His best is yet to come

Those happy to sell for £30m need to have a word with themselves.

Add me to this - he is an outstanding, unique attacking force; striker, AM and winger rolled into one.

I don't think that he's yet up with the Saint's all time greats, but has time to become one if he deigns to stay.

What really impresses me is his ability to run at an opponent and just as he's about to be tackled changes pace and direction

and suddenly he's five yards in the clear. He does that better than any other I've seen.

Superb - as I've said before he has the quickest feet I've seen from any saints player. I'm not sure he always knows what he is doing but that makes it all the more pleasurable. Any player that can run at pace with the ball no more than 18 - 24 inches from his feet is gifted - with a little more composure he will be a top top player.

You are quite right - I've seldom seen a player who was better with the ball at his feet. However, methinks that he cannot be (as yet anyway) classified as truely 'top class' because so often that superb control is not translated into goals. £30m is a lot of money to turn down for this player given his limitations.

You are quite right - I've seldom seen a player who was better with the ball at his feet. However, methinks that he cannot be (as yet anyway) classified as truely 'top class' because so often that superb control is not translated into goals. £30m is a lot of money to turn down for this player given his limitations.

He has time on his hands and as they say if Sterling went for £49m then.........

Given his current ability and (quite easily achieveable) potential, selling for £30m would be poor. We got £25m for Lallana who was a very good player, but Mane is capable of a completely different level.

• 4 months later...

He is still improving but he is going to be worth at least £80m and be up there in the Bale class.

Given his current ability and (quite easily achieveable) potential, selling for £30m would be poor. We got £25m for Lallana who was a very good player, but Mane is capable of a completely different level.

But we didn't sell for £30m and you have not included the add ons nor anything else in the contract as you have no idea of the details.