Euro 2016

Batman

What????? Which game were you watching? When i watched England in '96 we were awesome, tonight we were utter ****e

What does that tell you about the constant underachieving in between?! Best performance in a tournament game SINCE 96 (not better than 96) isn't a bad assessment. Can't think of any better. Not anywhere near good enough to be thinking about winning it but there's definitely something to build on.

The whole thing with hooliganism is ridiculous.

The British police dealt very effectively with it through the '80's to the point that it's rare in the uk. And yet there are reports of groups of .ultra's from other countries able to freely turn up and actively look for trouble at a European tournament.

French police are failing all fans miserably.

We have actually won some games since 1996. If you want a draw we were better in then Argentina 1998, when we matched a very good side with 10 men and went out on the lottery of pens. Russia had a very poor side tonight.

Beat Germany in 2000, albeit a very average side but better than Russia tonight. 2002 we got to the quarters, under performed overall but had a good win against Denmark in last 16, again, a better side than Russia tonight and a WIN.

2004 Rooney was actually very good and scoring, stuffed Croatia.

2006 we won two group games and drew the other, beat ecuador then drew to a decent portugal team when we had 10 men.

2008 not qualified, 2010 dire throughout

2012 beat ukraine and sweden, drew with good france and italy teams

2014 - utterly pathetic

So all in all, I'm not convinced our 1-1 draw with Russia was the highlight of the last 30 years.

Agree you've given example of better results but would argue that the team performance tonight was a lot closer to being a top international team than anything in the last 20 years. Better finishing and we'd have comfortably won this game. For me, Sterling doesn't offer enough defensive protection so Rose will be vulnerable against better opposition but we had a great balance in the midfield that we haven't had for years because of the obsession with playing Lampard and Gerrard together. If we could just knock a few years off the defence of the 00s of Cole Terry Ferdinand and we'd have something special!

That was the best England performance since '96.

So gutting, but so promising - Vardy needs to be the striker, Kane on the bench.

Best since 96? Do you mean best full stop? Or best in the Euros? 98 wasnt too bad

Best since 96? Do you mean best full stop? Or best in the Euros? 98 wasnt too bad

I think the way they played was fantastic and let down only by Kane who was basically anonymous. 98? Yeah I think it was better - I can't really remember many, if any, tournaments where we played well and weren't strangled by our must pick players. Sure we have to play Rooney - but as a deep lying midfielder he was pretty ****ing good in all honesty and gives freedom to the players we want to see.

Normally we play ****e and get a draw - this is a big improvement!

The equaliser was fck all to do with substitutions.

They changed the mindset of the players. They went from 'we're doing ok, we just need to carry on doing the same' to 'we're going to try and shut them out and hold on for the win'. It leads to players dropping back towards their own goal. The substitutions had the opposite effect on the Russians.

The violence has been awful. England fans being attacked all over the place. Two in hospital fighting for their lives and now there are reports that one has been killed from being pushed into and oncoming metro-link train. :(

Edit: The train incident is nothing to to with the footy and it was a french woman.

Still a lot of violence still ongoing though.

Edited by Shance

We played excellent tonight. Enjoyed the game but Roy did look to play out the 1 nil instead of carrying on the way we played for 90% of the game which kept us in total control. Should not have brought Milner on, Wilshire I understand but Kane Should have gone for vardy and sterling should've been hauled off with half an hour to go for someone who could pass. Roy set the team up brilliantly but ruined it at the end.

Didn't se the first half, but from what I saw of the second it appeared that Sterling had borrowed the clown shoes that Wellbeck normally plays in for England.

We looked a bit ponderous going forward, and I couldn't understand the comentator salivating at Wooney's effort bringing about a 'great save'. Lamber a couple of seasons ago would have put that into the corner out of his reach.

As for the equaliser, there was some inevitability to that as our team went 'backwards' inviting the cross, and looping header.

Vardy should have been on at some point to stretch the Russian defence, but no ,Wilshere and Millner !!

Edited by Badger
wrong player (equally as unimpressive in an England shirt)

Kane had a poor game, and why the ***** was he taking corners.

Rooney was good in midfield, Lallana linked with Walker well, Sterling awful tbh, and if we are going to play 433 then why have we got just one recognised winger with pace.

Anyway, next game, I reckon Roy will play this against Wales, don't see Alli playing for some reason :/

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Wilshere

Rooney

Lallana Kane Vardy

Woy is either saving Vardy and Rashford for the knock out stages or he is just a dumbass.

PS What is all this over the mouth **** during a free kick? ****ing hell like the keeper is going to lip read from 25 yards.

Corrected it for you. Why this complete loser and idiot is still manager of England still defies me - he lost the win for us (yes I know we drew), with not adapting to the game. Yes, we were dominant, but Kane was having a mare and should have been replaced with Vardie at half time, and Sterling should not have been in the squad never mind playing today. Why take off Rooney when we needed experience to close out a game, in which I thought he did really well?

I just hope the FA get shot of bumbling Woy after our early exit (desperately hoping I am wrong about our early exit but I think Wales will win the next one)

Got a mate out there who says the rioting and violence has been non-stop. Russian fans before and after the game just attacking anyone in sight. F*cking animals.

That's pretty much it, with the local plod then turning up and firing tear gas at everyone.

Some of the posts from the nerds on here are properly laughable.

Kane had a poor game, and why the ***** was he taking corners.

Rooney was good in midfield, Lallana linked with Walker well, Sterling awful tbh, and if we are going to play 433 then why have we got just one recognised winger with pace.

Anyway, next game, I reckon Roy will play this against Wales, don't see Alli playing for some reason :/

Hart

Walker Cahill Smalling Rose

Dier Wilshere

Rooney

Lallana Kane Vardy

Roy dares not to play Vardy aa he is not from a big club, same as Bertrand. But those guys from big clubs are guaranteed with starting such as lallana, sterling, even though they were poor for the whole year. I would be surprised if Vardy turn down Arsenal offer after this lesson.

Didn't se the first half, but from what I saw of the second it appeared that Sturridge had borrowed the clown shoes that Wellbeck normally plays in for England.

We looked a bit ponderous going forward, and I couldn't understand the comentator salivating at Wooney's effort bringing about a 'great save'. Lamber a couple of seasons ago would have put that into the corner out of his reach.

As for the equaliser, there was some inevitability to that as our team went 'backwards' inviting the cross, and looping header.

Vardy should have been on at some point to stretch the Russian defence, but no ,Wilshere and Millner !!

Yeah Sturridge was really ****.

Didn't se the first half, but from what I saw of the second it appeared that Sturridge had borrowed the clown shoes that Wellbeck normally plays in for England.

Sturridge was the best player not to make an appearance to be fair

Roy dares not to play Vardy aa he is not from a big club, same as Bertrand. But those guys from big clubs are guaranteed with starting such as lallana, sterling, even though they were poor for the whole year. I would be surprised if Vardy turn down Arsenal offer after this lesson.

:mcinnes:

I thought we played well

Rooney was very good but this was against a dire Russia side

what we did see, was how bad we are in defence and why (for the 3rd game now) is Kane taking the corners etc

that is just plain weird

Thought Kane was shyte throughout

To be fair I thought Lalana had a decent game. Stirling was awful, Kane should not be taking set pieces, Smalling is a penalty waiting to happen, some serious shirt pulling and holding in I'm the box . Wilshere not played all season,leagues top scorer on the bench.

On reflection I'm actually a little surprised at myself. All along I've been convinced that England were never going to do well under Hodgson and yet I found myself really disappointed at the final whistle last night.

That result should not have been a surprise for me given everything I've seen from Hodgson. The man simply doesn't know what he's doing with the talent at his disposal.

Alli was pretty poor but playing young players out of position isn't going to help. It's too crowded with Rooney and Alli there, Alli was shifting wide too much. It's got to be either/or if the team is to have any balance.

With the lack of wingers I'd go for Sturridge left rather than Sterling. Not his ideal position but Sterling has been poor and at least Sturridge is a goal threat.

All to shoe horn Rooney in

We're a very poor defensive team so we're going to have to score at least twice to win games. Despite that, of our three attacking players two of them are appalling in front of goal. All very well saying Lallana had a good game, but the fact is it doesn't matter how well he plays when his end product is consistently abysmal. Sterling is woefully out of form and lacking confidence.

Vardy needs to play up front with Kane, Alli needs to be further forward as well. Roy will simply have to find a formation to get the best out of them

Not Rooney's biggest fan but he played well last night and what happens? the idiot substitutes him.

Kane has a mare and yet he stays on with our most prolific goal scorer not getting a look in.

Wilshere and Milner, oh please!! they shouldn't even be in the squad let alone being brought on to defend a lead.

I'm not sure why watching England makes me so depressed , why does RH pick out of form players ? why do they make the wrong substitutions ? should the manager and back up team view the match from a box up in the stands (like rugby) to get a better idea of how the game is going. Viewing at dugout level is very restrictive.

One non league team used to put someone in the opposite stand to the dugout to get a more balanced view of the game , so why with modern communications can't the manger watch from on high while the coach dishes out instructions at pitch level ?

The whole thing with hooliganism is ridiculous.

The British police dealt very effectively with it through the '80's to the point that it's rare in the uk. And yet there are reports of groups of .ultra's from other countries able to freely turn up and actively look for trouble at a European tournament.

French police are failing all fans miserably.

Anyone who follows European football would know France is not a pleasant place for away fans to travel, Spurs were victims of a nasty attack in Lyon a couple of seasons ago, Chelsea fans were repeatedly attacked by PSG and French police, Everton were button charged and had tear gas fired at them in Lille.

I think a few of the naive saints fans on here will have quite a shock if they travel on our Europa tour.

Locals starting trouble in Nice last night

http://m.ultras-tifo.net/news/4375-news-fight-in-nice-saturday-night-11062016.html

I'm not a fan of Rooney at all, but he did play well yesterday.

Hodgson's experimented with 4-1-2-1-2 with Kane and Vardy up top and we looked absolutely terrible and there's no way a standard 4-4-2 will cut it with the players we have, Lallana is no Mahrez, Rooney and Dier aren't Kante and Drinkwater. I actually think a 3-4-1-2 would work really well with the players we have in the squad, but there's no way that Hodgson will experiment with that.

To be honest, against Wales I think we'll play the same team, but if Kane is as bad as he was yesterday he should be hauled off for Sturridge or Rashford. Vardy works best against teams who leave space in behind and Wales will not do that, the other two are more likely to be able to create something by tricking their way past a packed defense.

Wales will play their 3-4-3 / 5-4-1 against us and rely on having Bale run at Smalling and Cahill and winning free kicks. We probably won't need Sterling's pace as much as they won't push up far enough to leave space for him, so playing Wilshere and Lallana on the flanks might work quite well. We're probably most likely to score from quick passing and overloads so having our players who are best at that style of play on the pitch together seems the sensible option.

Rob Harris, chief global football writer for the Associated Press...

@RobHarris: BREAKING: UEFA opens disciplinary proceedings against Russia for crowd disturbances, racist behaviour, fireworks being set off

@RobHarris: UEFA not opened disciplinary proceedings against English FA over Marseille, only Russia

Lallana is a bit of an almost player to be honest. Almost scores a great goal, almost provides a great assist, almost makes a good pass. His finishing and final product have also been incredibly powder-puff to be honest. But he looks pretty in the buildup before almost playing that pass.