Euro 2016

Batman

I can't argue with the result - England were far the better team in the second half. If that clown had started with those two up front it would have been all over a lot sooner. Hopefully we can sneak a point against the Russians.

The 2nd half was terrific, Sterling is done for this tournament I reckon. He looks shot.

Not entirely sure we play to the strength's of Kane, although his touch looks exceptionally rubbish at the moment.

I thought Rashford looked great when he came on as well...

We're top of the group, pretty much qualified now - let's hope we finish against Slovakia well so we can get ourselves a decent last 16 tie.

This result has woken the tournament back up for me.

How bad does Hart have to be to lose his place?

If Forster had been in goal I really believe we would be still to concede in this tournament. 2 poor mistakes. Surely time for a change.

I think he'd have to be injured for Roy to drop him.

What a second half that was! Fair play to Roy, the whole country might've been screaming for the half-time changes but he made them.

Agree

I dont understand why Roy takes five strikers to France yet only starts with one especially against Wales

But a good way to finish after the disappointment of a late goal on Saturday

Rooney is still a very good player maybe this tournament will confirm it I think he is one of the best players England has produced in the last forty or so years maybe even longer

Agree

I dont understand why Roy takes five strikers to France yet only starts with one especially against Wales

But a good way to finish after the disappointment of a late goal on Saturday

Rooney is still a very good player maybe this tournament will confirm it I think he is one of the best players England has produced in the last forty or so years maybe even longer

What? No. Lineker, Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Gascoigne and Le Tissier (not necessarily for the NT) were all better players in their prime, and that's only in the 20 odd years I've been watching.

All Rooney has done is score consistently against European minnows in qualifiers.

What? No. Lineker, Shearer, Owen, Scholes, Gascoigne and Le Tissier (not necessarily for the NT) were all better players in their prime, and that's only in the 20 odd years I've been watching.

All Rooney has done is score consistently against European minnows in qualifiers.

i'd add beardsley, barnes, hoddle, beckham, shilton, gerrard, robson, rio ferdinand, stuart pearce, terry butcher, seaman, platt, waddle, sheringham, and fowler to that list.

Good player, as he was with us. Occasionally unplayable. Inventive with good feet. A lack of pace and shooting ability are his achilles heel. Just left us under a cloud.

Amazes me that people think he isn't a good player. Honestly think our fans need to learn to move on! I loved watching lallana for saints, and I love watching him for england. 2 of the best players on that pitch were our academy players. We should take pride from that and enjoy it!

Pretty damning for both Kane and Sterling to be subbed at half time. Are their tournaments over bar perhaps substitute cameos from now on?

In the case of Sterling I certainly hope so. Kane is a great striker but just looks jaded.

Wow what a game!

Last time I felt like that was Beckham's last minute free kick against Greece.

Massive amount of credit has to go to the officials for our equaliser, would have been very very easy to give that offside.

Wow what a game!

Last time I felt like that was Beckham's last minute free kick against Greece.

Massive amount of credit has to go to the officials for our equaliser, would have been very very easy to give that offside.

Yeh first thing I said to people at work, fair play to the lino for spotting that. Top officiating.

Two good performances from England to be fair, against teams that didn't really try to win, just think yesterday Portugal with a Ronaldo only managed one against Iceland and Wales have a much better squad on paper than Iceland.

Sterling cannot start the next game, probably Kane will have to miss out as well, though harsh on him he looks leggy and jaded after two seasons of carrying Spurs. Rooney turning into a class midfielder as well.

They'll probably f it up now against Slovakia but they should go on and win the group. What impressed me the most from this England team is they have an energy and tempo that I've not seen from previous England teams at tournaments, plus there is pace to burn in there as well.

Booked the day off in full anticipation I can sit down and watch the games without aggro...

Ended up in the hospital for five hours, missed 90% of the England game and caught the winner just minutes after seeing our first little un via sonogram.

My conduct on the ward could have been more tasteful.

Well at least we won in the end, still not impressed though.

Although we applied loads of pressure I thought the final ball was absolutely dreadful. Air shots, woeful long range punts and lots of stray passing made us look distinctly average. It was like watching a bunch of players who hardly ever play together.......................oh!.

I can't see teams like Germany losing any sleep witnessing that.

It was a stuttering display which does not fill me with confidence.

Sturridge probably saved Hodgsons job for him.

Sterling needs to get a grip and sort out what he wants to do when he's got the ball. Definitely should not start.

I thought Sturridge was awful when he came on, didn't seem to know what to do and constantly held up play rather than picking out someone to pass to or move with it. He worked hard for the goal and deserved it but I don't think his overall contribution was that good tbh. Seemed too obsessed with shooting from outside the box.

Lallana was good in the first half, very tricksy to play against, picked out some good passes.

Rose wasn't much cop except for. A couple of clearances.

Rooney..... Actually had a good game although the second half was a bit shakey. Picked out some good passes and had good awareness. Still don't rate him though and I never will, does not come near the quality of previous strikers who have worn the shirt. (Scoring 50 goals against the international equivalent of the Dog & Duck Sunday 5 a side team is a poor way to get a record if you ask me)

Kane was not having a good day and is clearly tired.

Vardy was his usual self and caused problems for Wales when he came on. Should be starting.

I nearly fell off my seat when I saw that Roy had subbed two players at half time and HADN'T put Wilshere or Milner on.

I dunno really. Its good that England won but they had to work really hard for it and, given the amount of pressure they put Wales under, there should have been more goals. Finishing seems to be a problem. So it's good that we got the result but I still think we are going to struggle in the knock out stages.

i'd add beardsley, barnes, hoddle, beckham, shilton, gerrard, robson, rio ferdinand, stuart pearce, terry butcher, seaman, platt, waddle, sheringham, and fowler to that list.

Gary Neville, Ashley Cole?

I personally think England have played well in both of their games, the first half was probably as poor as we have played - but we stepped it up and then some in the 2nd half. I'd say only Germany and Italy have put in general overall performances than ourselves, but once the 'shackles' are released - which Roy likes to use... - we are a force.

I personally think England have played well in both of their games, the first half was probably as poor as we have played - but we stepped it up and then some in the 2nd half. I'd say only Germany and Italy have put in general overall performances than ourselves, but once the 'shackles' are released - which Roy likes to use... - we are a force.

and right there is exactly the problem and exactly why he shouldn't be in charge of the national team.

Amazes me that people think he isn't a good player. Honestly think our fans need to learn to move on! I loved watching lallana for saints, and I love watching him for england. 2 of the best players on that pitch were our academy players. We should take pride from that and enjoy it!

He plays in the front three but never scores? Rather play someone more dangerous further forward and play Drinkwater sitting. And he's a knob.

I think the reffing has been pretty decent so far. Obviously trying to play advantage as much as possible

I think the officiating has been great, they seem very reluctant to stop the game and it's a lot more of a contact sport than I've seen for a while! Much more enjoyable as the games flow.

Glad to see Vardy on the pitch, a real talisman and someone you want in the trenches with you. The guy is always snapping and sniffing and never gives a defence a second's rest. He's also no respecter of the oppo's status, he'll give it his all whether he's up against Spain or San Marino, that's got to be a real morale boost for the rest of the team. He's in my starting XI every time.

I'd also stick with Kane, he has been quiet but he's class and can do damage. IMO if England are to have any chance of progressing we need a Vardy\Kane partnership up front and the more time they are given the better. When up and running they are a real threat.

Once again Rooney looked good in the mid gen role, he'd be in my starting XI every time too.

Kane looks badly jaded, while Vardy looks sharp so think he has to get the nod. Though Sturridge was a bit greedy (as he normally is) but seemed the only attacker who wanted to take anyone on. He seemed to be playing more of a inside forward role than as a striker and looked good against a Welsh team that offered virtually no attacking threat.

Not sure how Walker got MotM, he's great at running and useful up until he actually has to put a cross in, but his end product is awful.

Don't think a traditional striker pairing is the way to go for England, we tried it in two of the recent friendlies and looked absolutely dire. Also think that Kane might be better used as an impact sub, looks like he's running on empty (and Alli's not much better).

For the next match I'd rotate and give the rest of the squad a start. I'd especially look to give Kane and Alli a rest.

On other matters, I watched the game on ESPN and had the pleasure of listening to the astonishingly well informed commentary of the skate Ian Darke. He produced all sorts of interesting facts out of his backside such as the idea that Wales is on the other side of the Severn Bridge (and thus, by implication doesn't share a land border with England) and even more amazingly that it sits two-and-a-half hours drive away from England... he makes Tyldesley sound like a genius.

I think the officiating has been great, they seem very reluctant to stop the game and it's a lot more of a contact sport than I've seen for a while! Much more enjoyable as the games flow.

They have been very good, which is refreshing. Collina's influence, apparently.

Some very good summaries on here. I'm surprised that Dier got off so lightly. Overhit everything he tried. Nerves perhaps.