Euro 2016

Batman

there is a chance that it will be England v N.Ireland in the next round :D

Yip. Providing they finish in 3rd place (which looks on), Northern Ireland will most likely face either England or France.

No prizes for guessing which of those two NI fans would be consider being the more beatable opponent. Lol.

Yip. Providing they finish in 3rd place (which looks on), Northern Ireland will most likely face either England or France.

No prizes for guessing which of those two NI fans would be consider being the more beatable opponent. Lol.

it would be a cracking game and atmosphere. big game

NI will against Ukraine was absolutely fantastic. Quite refreshing cheering on other home nations without scotland souring the mood

it would be a cracking game and atmosphere. big game

Indeed. All joking aside though.....I can see a Eng 90% v NI 10% possession game and a 90min backs to the wall job. Stranger things have happened though (see the last meeting between the sides for proof).

I can see it now ...."87 min....0-0......Davis nutmegs Lallana and unleashes a rocket into the top corner". Scenes.

Let me dream.

90% chance that if we finish as one of the best 3rd place teams we'll be back in Lyon next Sunday to play France. (Only a 10% chance that it would be England in Paris.) Now that would be great! If England could stick 2 or 3 past Slovakia & Wales get at least a draw it would help our cause greatly. Although I'm an eternal pessimist I'm contemplating booking flights for next weekend anyway.

90% chance that if we finish as one of the best 3rd place teams we'll be back in Lyon next Sunday to play France. (Only a 10% chance that it would be England in Paris.) Now that would be great! If England could stick 2 or 3 past Slovakia & Wales get at least a draw it would help our cause greatly. Although I'm an eternal pessimist I'm contemplating booking flights for next weekend anyway.

I've also looked into flights to Lyon. Bit worried about how easy it would be to get a match ticket though...given France are the opponents.

I'm an optimist by the way and haven't ruled out the possibility of getting a flukey 1-0 on Tue and winning the group!

EURO 2016 has been very dull so far tbh, this 24 team expansion means that everyone is playing for a draw pretty much, and add to the fact these pitches are poor, it has been crap.

3/4 points would probably be enough to see you out of groups most of time.

Need to quarters ideally to start before two quality teams play.

With Albania in 3rd with 3 points and a -2 GD all we need now is another team to finish 3rd with a similar record and the bar is set nice and low for anyone who wants to qualify as one of the 'four best thirds'.

It is quite conceivable that in these final group games we'll be faced with teams who are losing who simply play to avoid conceding one more. If, say, England beat Slovakia 2-0 and Wales avoid defeat against Russia then it'll be Slovakia who finish 3rd on 3 points with a -2 GD as well - meaning that Northern Ireland simply need to avoid defeat by more than two goals to guarantee qualification. The Germans might even be OK with this as the runner-up from their group only faces the runner-up from Group A (the mighty Switzerland) so it really gives them no incentive to try and win the group.

The whole format has been a shambles.

With Albania in 3rd with 3 points and a -2 GD all we need now is another team to finish 3rd with a similar record and the bar is set nice and low for anyone who wants to qualify as one of the 'four best thirds'.

It is quite conceivable that in these final group games we'll be faced with teams who are losing who simply play to avoid conceding one more. If, say, England beat Slovakia 2-0 and Wales avoid defeat against Russia then it'll be Slovakia who finish 3rd on 3 points with a -2 GD as well - meaning that Northern Ireland simply need to avoid defeat by more than two goals to guarantee qualification. The Germans might even be OK with this as the runner-up from their group only faces the runner-up from Group A (the mighty Switzerland) so it really gives them no incentive to try and win the group.

The whole format has been a shambles.

Agreed. I would have put the 6 3rd places and 6 2nd places into a hat, draw out 10 teams and the sequence drawn out determines who plays who. Probably not possible logistically.

But its better than that crap 2nd round of Spain '82, if the competition must be expanded to 24 teams.

I would say thats its less than 10% chance now with current standings.

There is only 1 combo where where Eng V NI becomes reality and with Sweden on a single point in 3rd in Group F and with Belgium to play, I would say the probability is much less than 10%.

3rdround.jpg

However its almost impossible to predict who each of ENG and NI will face until the final group games have been played.

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Wilshire Dier Henderson

Lallana Vardy Sturridge

Should have enough to get a win. Think Wales will draw so matching that would be enough anyway.

Could see that selection backfiring big time. Henderson FFS #FacePalm

Lots of panic on five live about all the changes but looking at that team I think they should have plenty to win the game. Lane has been poor so deserves to be dropped.

And the masses have got their wish. No Rooney. So everything will be fine, right everyone?

Hart

Clyne Smalling Cahill Bertrand

Wilshire Dier Henderson

Lallana Vardy Sturridge

Should have enough to get a win. Think Wales will draw so matching that would be enough anyway.

Don't mind rotating the full-backs as they are all pretty similar anyway and I think Bertrand is better than Rose.

Kane and Sterling also deserve to be dropped so not bothered about the forward changes (although I think I would start Rashford instead of Vardy, with Sturridge central.

However, I think it could be a mistake to upset the midfield balance. I'm not Rooney's number 1 fan but he has played well so far.

Lots of panic on five live about all the changes but looking at that team I think they should have plenty to win the game. Lane has been poor so deserves to be dropped.

And the masses have got their wish. No Rooney. So everything will be fine, right everyone?

More than enough to beat Slovakia but they still have to go and do it. Sensible selection for me, shame Forster doesn't get a game - he'd have saved that Bale free kick that Hart bottled

Don't mind rotating the full-backs as they are all pretty similar anyway and I think Bertrand is better than Rose.

Kane and Sterling also deserve to be dropped so not bothered about the forward changes (although I think I would start Rashford instead of Vardy, with Sturridge central.

However, I think it could be a mistake to upset the midfield balance. I'm not Rooney's number 1 fan but he has played well so far.

No Rooney is my only concern. He's hardly been box to box so not sure he needs resting. Been consistent and from the outside he looks a good captain and someone the younger players look to for guidance if things don't go to plan. Could be a problem if we go 1 down.

Henderson for Rooney is a bit barmy. Not a Rooney fan but has been our best player in both games. I bet Henderson won't be....

Other changes are fine, Bertrand is our best left back, Clyne solid (but Walker shades him), Vardy and Sturridge better than Sterling (not difficult) and Kane. 2-0 win for England. I hope!

Henderson for Rooney is a bit barmy. Not a Rooney fan but has been our best player in both games. I bet Henderson won't be....

Other changes are fine, Bertrand is our best left back, Clyne solid (but Walker shades him), Vardy and Sturridge better than Sterling (not difficult) and Kane. 2-0 win for England. I hope!

Has a knock apparently

Rashford over Vardy?! Still smarting over Leicester's success eh