World Cup 2018

spyinthesky

I wonder how many English fans (or indeed those from other western countries) would be keen to venture into Russia for the next World Cup after the problems in Marseilles

Whilst appreciating that our own fans have not covered ourselves in glory over the years, it seems the Russian hooligans have taken violence up to another level and may well enjoy a degree of support in relation to their actions from the Russian Press and indeed those in public office.

Added to the 'dirty deals' stories which abound about Russia 'buying' their World Cup award, I reckon the number of foreign fans going to the 2018 tournament (especially from European and non white countries) will be significantly reduced.

There is certainly a significant hooligan element in Russia and a fair bit of racism. Unfortunately, travelling to that tournament will not be without risk. However, I watched the England/Russia match in a bar in Georgia (the country) with around 30 other people. Four of us (myself, my wife and daughter, and one Ukrainian guy) were cheering on England, the rest were all Russians. I enjoyed a fair bit of banter with the Russians and it was simply handshakes all round after the final whistle.

As with all football related violence, the happenings in France are the mindless minority. We should not let the idiots beat the rest of us with their intimidation.

For the Russia world cup they'll have a heavy police/military presence on standby.

The Russian hooligans will know that if they try to start anything against foreign fans in their own backyard Putin will ensure they disappear.

As for Qatar god only knows. They'd have to relax a lot of laws for the foreign fans I guess and seize any alcohol they try and bring in as soon as they arrive