Nathan Redmond Joins on 5 Year Deal - Official

Saint Garrett

What on Earth is this club doing buying a 22-year old English player who happens to have 29 caps for the England u-21 team? Does Southampton have no ambition? No eye on the future?

We have a choice as a club. We had that choice. Maybe our objectives have changed. We were on course to be a *Champions League club, I believe, but, obviously, that has changed.

Sky sources jumped on it now...

Sky Sports News HQ

‏@SkySportsNewsHQ

BREAKING NEWS: Sky Sources: Nathan Redmond is having a medical today at Southampton ahead of a proposed £11m move from Norwich. #SSNHQ

We should get this deal tied up as quickly as possible. the Price seems to rise every time it's mentioned.

Good to see he has more faith in the club than a lot of the fans.

Do you need a lot of faith, he's moving from a relegated club to one in the prem and european football whilst also likely getting a healthy pay rise.

I think for him, manager or not it's a no brainer, unlikely aside maybe West Ham/Stoke he is going to get any equal or higher status club than us.

Personally not sure what to make of him, but he's still only 22 I suppose and actually did alright for a very poor team last season but do worry he's just another Routledge.

Probably take 60-70m but hardly much to ask when TV money is this high and we're bringing in 45-55m in sales anyway.

Agree, if we do sell Mane then I'd expect to see at least £20 million spent over the sale amounts, so £70-80 million, if we don't sell him but have already sold Wanyama + Juanmi, plus maybe Pelle then you are still talking about £20 - 25 million in sales and with the TV deal I don;t see why we couldn't spend another £20-25 million on top of that.

So Redmond + two £20 million players who'd be direct improvements on the squad.

Haven't we been in profit transfer wise for 3 seasons now? So now is the time to invest, a £40 million spend over our sales I don't think is too much risk, but knowing the club we'll probably be transfer neutral again.

Agree, if we do sell Mane then I'd expect to see at least £20 million spent over the sale amounts, so £70-80 million, if we don't sell him but have already sold Wanyama + Juanmi, plus maybe Pelle then you are still talking about £20 - 25 million in sales and with the TV deal I don;t see why we couldn't spend another £20-25 million on top of that.

So Redmond + two £20 million players who'd be direct improvements on the squad.

Haven't we been in profit transfer wise for 3 seasons now? So now is the time to invest, a £40 million spend over our sales I don't think is too much risk, but knowing the club we'll probably be transfer neutral again.

Last 2 summers we've had positive net outlay and this summer probably be no different. If we didn't sell would we spend any money? I have my doubts. I think a sell before buy policy is in place imo.

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

Don't really rate him tbh. He is young and will improve but don't think he is anywhere near the level of Mane.

He obviously isn't, but why are you comparing Redmond with our best player?

He's a half decent player, but can someone explain why are we buying players when we are managerless? Does the manager not have a say in these things anymore, or are we heading back to the days of Rupert Lowe where the Chairman wants to be involved in the team selection? Look how that ended!

Koeman's departure is making more and more sense by the day.

He obviously isn't, but why are you comparing Redmond with our best player?

Why are we selling our best player... Again? The big boys came knocking for Vardy and he decided to stay put. If a club like Leicester can make a stance then why can't we? We're into our third season of selling the crown jewels and it's becoming pretty tiresome. Every club in the league knows we're a soft touch. Who cares about fleecing Liverpool every season? I want to see us win something and that's not going to happen while we keep selling players and ****ing off the manager.

He's a half decent player, but can someone explain why are we buying players when we are managerless? Does the manager not have a say in these things anymore, or are we heading back to the days of Rupert Lowe where the Chairman wants to be involved in the team selection? Look how that ended!

Koeman's departure is making more and more sense by the day.

I don't think coaches should have much say to be honest. I'd rather head coaches got on with coaching, and our scouts do the job of identifying talent. People doing the job they're paid to do.

If it had been up to Koeman he would have kept Wanyama for the last year of his contract, watched him walk on a free next summer and then demanded the board spent 15 million replacing him. Not exactly a sound financial model moving forward is it?

Why are we selling our best player... Again? The big boys came knocking for Vardy and he decided to stay put. If a club like Leicester can make a stance then why can't we? We're into our third season of selling the crown jewels and it's becoming pretty tiresome. Every club in the league knows we're a soft touch. Who cares about fleecing Liverpool every season? I want to see us win something and that's not going to happen while we keep selling players and ****ing off the manager.

Bla bla bla we can't sell our best players bla bla bla. All of it ********. None of the players we sell are world class, irreplaceable players. You probably said the same when we sold Lallana for 25 million and we then spent half of that on Mane and had a better player. Big clubs are lazy and we should carry on exploiting it

Leicester did not make a stance, vardy would have gone if he chose too, how many more times does it have to be said.

I don't think coaches should have much say to be honest. I'd rather head coaches got on with coaching, and our scouts do the job of identifying talent. People doing the job they're paid to do.

If it had been up to Koeman he would have kept Wanyama for the last year of his contract, watched him walk on a free next summer and then demanded the board spent 15 million replacing him. Not exactly a sound financial model moving forward is it?

Bla bla bla we can't sell our best players bla bla bla. All of it ********. None of the players we sell are world class, irreplaceable players. You probably said the same when we sold Lallana for 25 million and we then spent half of that on Mane and had a better player. Big clubs are lazy and we should carry on exploiting it

Firstly, The decision on Wanyama would have never been Koeman's! Secondly, I didn't say the same about us selling Lallana and replacing him with Mane. I was never a huge Lallana fan and always felt he would be easy to replace, unlike some of the other players we've sold. Interestingly, I do remember people on here saying that Mane was our worst signing since Ali Dia after about 10 games. lol

Leicester did not make a stance, vardy would have gone if he chose too, how many more times does it have to be said.

4 year deal @ £100k per week. He'll be 33½ when his contract runs out. Would Arsenal offer that much to someone of that age (plus £20m transfer, plus signing on fee) with no sell on value? Seems very un-Arsenal that.

Good luck to the lad. I wouldn't have bought him as think there are better players out there for the same price. Reading the Norwich forum seems a mixed response to him going. One thing is for sure if he is the replacement for sadio he will have to hit the floor running. Will be one of our main creators with Tadic.

Ok, Maybe 'stance' is the wrong choice of word? Perhaps 'statement of intent' would have been a better choice? Either way, they did something that made him want to stay.

No they didn't he chose to stay, he said Arsenal did not visit his style.

Arsenal activated his 20mill release clause and they would have sold him.

There was no statement of intent, you will have to find something else to bash the club with..sorry

Good luck to the lad. I wouldn't have bought him as think there are better players out there for the same price. Reading the Norwich forum seems a mixed response to him going. One thing is for sure if he is the replacement for sadio he will have to hit the floor running. Will be one of our main creators with Tadic.

I think football fans have to get used to the idea that £11 million is now chump change in the PL even average players are going to start at £15 million in a season or two. Having said that I've always rated Redmond so I'm pretty up beat about this signing I think we can get more out of him than Norwich.

Actually Leicester offered him more money to stay even though he had just signed a new improved contract do yes , Leicester did make an effort to keep him .

Has Saints ever really made an effort to keep a top player ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Actually Leicester offered him more money to stay even though he had just signed a new improved contract do yes , Leicester did make an effort to keep him .

Had Mane scored 24 goals this season and we'd won the league maybe, just a hunch..Think we'd of made an effort to keep him. Mane scored less than half and we're probably still making an effort to keep him or have already tried and got nowhere with the agent who loves a move for his bank balance.

I think football fans have to get used to the idea that £11 million is now chump change in the PL even average players are going to start at £15 million in a season or two. Having said that I've always rated Redmond so I'm pretty up beat about this signing I think we can get more out of him than Norwich.

I was just thinking earlier that £20 million seemed to be an average going rate for an upper-half Premier League player nowadays. £11m might be a good deal.

Of course. £11m is nothing these days. But don't forget stoke only paid £12m for Shaquiri. Like I said I wish the lad well as if he does good we as a club do good. But I personally would have gone for other options. I am sure Les thinks he is a good fit for us and hopefully that turns out to be true.

Who are they then?

There are a few that I think would do well here.

Rick Karsdorp. He is a right back but plays more as a winger. I think eventually he will fill that role. Was joint top assister in Holland last season.

Joris van Overeem. This guy will be a star in the future.

Sam Larsson.

Vincent Janssen. This guy is a pure goal machine. In a couple of years I expect him to go to a big club for sure. If I was looking to buy anyone at all it would be him. He is a natural striker but like Mane tends to be more of a cut inside winger.

Riccardo Saponara.

Andrea Belotti (another quality player).

Those are ones that I would have gone for especially the dutch lads as they would fit in with the set up. Obviously everyone will have an opinion on who we should sign. Doesnt mean I am writing this guy off, far from it.

Rick Karsdorp. He is a right back but plays more as a winger. I think eventually he will fill that role. Was joint top assister in Holland last season.

Sam Larsson.

Vincent Janssen. This guy is a pure goal machine. In a couple of years I expect him to go to a big club for sure. If I was looking to buy anyone at all it would be him. He is a natural striker but like Mane tends to be more of a cut inside winger.

Riccardo Saponara.

Those are ones that I would have gone for especially the dutch lads as they would fit in with the set up. Obviously everyone will have an opinion on who we should sign. Doesnt mean I am writing this guy off, far from it.

Good list. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Redmond is the kind of player I can see developing well with Saints and is a good fit. Wouldn't however say he is starting 11 material at this moment, especially with Mane still here. If he is a Mane replacement, if we are judging Redmond's product at the moment, then it is a disappointment.

Had Mane scored 24 goals this season and we'd won the league maybe, just a hunch..Think we'd of made an effort to keep him. Mane scored less than half and we're probably still making an effort to keep him or have already tried and got nowhere with the agent who loves a move for his bank balance.

This

Sam Larsson.

Riccardo Saponara.

Karsdorp will be a winger? Janssen is a cut inside winger like Mane? Van Overeem will be a star? Sam Larsson is extremely inconsistent.

Makes me wonder how often you've seen these players because this doesn't make sense for one bit.