The Tour de France 2016 Thread.

Winnersaint

Le Grande Boucle is almost upon us again. Time for predictions. Think that Quintana will run Froome close again but he looked in superb form in the Dauphine, plus Froome has trained more specifically to peak in the third week this year. Add to that around 55K's of ITT and I think he will have the edge just. Will have to look out for Romain Bardet though. Think we might see a different Cav this year. A la Robbie McEwan in his later years, but don't see him winning a drag race with Kittel, Greipel, Bouhanni and Caleb Ewan as of old.

Yellow Jersey - Froome

Green Jersey - Sagan

Polka Dot Jersey - A Climber

White Jersey- Alaphilippe

Time for Quintana I think, his TT seems to have improved although it's just been uphill TTs. Froome just that little bit shaky this year although no cobbles is probably to his advantage. Contador can never be discounted but... nah. Nairo Quintana for yellow and polka dots. Not sure on young rider. Sagan obviously green jersey, they may as well just pop it in the post now and not bother with the actual competition.

Not sure what to make of the sprinters this year, they have a few stages and you'd think Cav would be there for some of it, but he just doesn't seem to have the edge. Not just Kittel, but even Greipel and a few others beat him, plus he was ill last week. Would love to see him pull Paris out of the bag one more time though. I don't think he'll abandon though, he's usually too committed (proud?) to do that.

Bob Jungels to win a stage or two just because he has the best name. And Steve Cummings to do a Jens Voigt thing and grab a breakaway stage win.

Time for Quintana I think, his TT seems to have improved although it's just been uphill TTs. Froome just that little bit shaky this year although no cobbles is probably to his advantage. Contador can never be discounted but... nah. Nairo Quintana for yellow and polka dots. Not sure on young rider. Sagan obviously green jersey, they may as well just pop it in the post now and not bother with the actual competition.

Not sure what to make of the sprinters this year, they have a few stages and you'd think Cav would be there for some of it, but he just doesn't seem to have the edge. Not just Kittel, but even Greipel and a few others beat him, plus he was ill last week. Would love to see him pull Paris out of the bag one more time though. I don't think he'll abandon though, he's usually too committed (proud?) to do that.

Bob Jungels to win a stage or two just because he has the best name. And Steve Cummings to do a Jens Voigt thing and grab a breakaway stage win.

Re: Cav abandoning I think this will be strategic and depends on whether he gets the nod for the Olympics Track Team - I've assumed he will and won't want to ride Ventoux!

• 2 weeks later...
Update estimate: Steve Cummings to get 2 stage wins. He's sounds very hacked off at british cycling after not being picked for the Olympic road race. point to prove.

Which two stages do you think he will target then? Stage 10 looks a possibility as it is the transition out of the Pyrenees, with a Cummings like bump at the end and possibly Stage 5 into the Massif Central or perhaps Stage 16.

Edited by Winnersaint

Which two stages do you think he will target then? Stage 10 looks a possibility as it is the transition out of the Pyrenees, with a Cummings like bump at the end and possibly Stage 5 into the Massif Central or perhaps Stage 16.

He probably won't, I know - win one and he'll be marked out of winning another. Just interesting to see how people respond when annoyed like that, thinking him and Dani King should get together and form their own country or something.

Stages: was thinking 10 and 16 look a little Cummings-ish but he can just about do it anywhere that's a bit lumpy. Hadn't thought about 5 but you never know.

Can't see past Froome winning again, Sky just look so strong and the amount of TT distance is massively is his favour. Hoping that Adam Yates and Daniel Martin both have a decent crack at a stage win and I'll be stood up celebrating if Cummings nicks one.

Anyone know much about Daniel McLay? He's a British rider who has completely snuck under my radar.

Just re watched it. Cav had a hell of a lead out from Sagan. Lol.

Sagan is pretty much the best wheel to take. He has to go early because he won't beat any of the others over 150m, so sit on him and then jump when he starts to fade. Perfect tactics from Cav, I'm so happy for him.

Cav talking up being there for duration, he won't want to let team or charity down by quitting early, Ventoux might be a tipping point though. He is on the best form for years, but there again form is temporary, class is permanent, and he has bags of that. Equalling the record of Le Blaireau is astonishing. Really, let's put this in perspective in terms of achievement, I am seriously struggling to think of a Brit sportsman quite at his level within his own sport.

The 2 best sportsmen we have are both cyclists. Aside from Froome and Cav you could make a case for Andy Murray perhaps, especially if you take the superhuman Djokovic out of the equation. Maybe Anthony Joshua will turn out to be the next one in the years to come.

A stunning sprint today made all the more remarkable when you consider he's spent most of his time recently training on the track. What a win that was.

He probably won't, I know - win one and he'll be marked out of winning another. Just interesting to see how people respond when annoyed like that, thinking him and Dani King should get together and form their own country or something.

Stages: was thinking 10 and 16 look a little Cummings-ish but he can just about do it anywhere that's a bit lumpy. Hadn't thought about 5 but you never know.

OK. Stage 7. Didn't see that coming...

One more? Maybe...

OK. Stage 7. Didn't see that coming...

One more? Maybe...

Amazing win today. This tour is looking better and better for the British riders. 4 wins already with the likelihood of more to come. I'd love to see Thomas or Yates win a stage.

Any extra effort that Froome expended in today's break is compensated by the 6km being cut from tomorrow's climb due to the forecast 120km/h winds.

Some club members were on holiday in the area yesterday and rode out beyond Bedoin. I think that general consensus was that it was the windiest ride ever. Not much better in the Vendee according to another person from the club. Classy ride from Sagan and Froome though yesterday. Today's stage is a hard one to call. Froome is the better time triallist, but neither he or Quintana will be wanting to go too deep even a shortened Ventoux. It will be tough as the ride up to Chalet Reynard has the steepest gradients on the mountain as it goes through the trees. There will be wind today on the flat which may split the peloton again which may well be a problem for Quintana as Movistar doesn't have a Kyrienka, Stannard, Rowe or Thomas type of rider, all of whom could rip the peloton to shreds on the way to Ventoux.

Shame. Olympics got in the way

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

There was nothing left but unecessary hardship left for him anyway, well apart from Sunday's jaunt on the Champs but 4 days in the mountains, although relative low ones, was too high a price to pay. Green is gone, Champs is a lottery so why bother.

Quintana's got no form, nor a team to support him like Froome and hasn't been able to send Anacona off up the road like last year. Great to see Adam Yates out climbing Quintana today as well. Megeve TT tomorrow might just seal it for Froome.