Your first Saints manager appointment and preference?

Bad Wolf

Well here we go again...

What was your first managerial appointment and who did you want at the time?

Mine was George Burley. I had only been into football for about six months and hadn't heard of him by name but when SSN said he was the guy who left Hearts top of the SPL, I knew who he was.

I actually remember wanting Glenn Hoddle. I'm not really sure why. I also remember Bobby Robson being linked and thinking that I wouldn't mind him.

I am not too unashamed to have welcomed Redknapp as I honestly thought he had the nous to save us. To be fair he might have had Lowe appointed him a month or two earlier but it was bound to end in tears.

Not exactly your first though.

Would that have been Sid Cann?

First one I remember was Gordon Strachan. I remember being told in the school playground and my 8 year old self was thoroughly underwhelmed.

I one I properly properly recall was Harry Redknapp. That song 'Harry and Jim, Red and White' was very catchy.

The first I remember was Graeme Souness. Although Dave Merrington was in charge of the first game I attended.

Was so young at the time Souness was appointed/went that I didn't really know enough to have an opinion. The first time I really was interested in which manager would come in was when Hoddle shafted us, I wanted us to appoint Redknapp...... Oh dear.

Edited by Colinjb

Dave Jones. I remember having a first team photo from 97/98 and Rupert Lowe is in the middle in his suit and my then Man Utd supporting friend thought he was the manager .

I thought it was normal then for the chairman to sit right in the middle of the team photo. Oh how I learned ours was, shall we say, a little different than the rest.

Ted Bates became Manager 1 month before I was born so the first 'appointment' I saw was Laurie McMenemy who became Manager in November 1973, having been appointed Assistant Manager to Ted 4 months earlier. 24 Managers later and we still haven't had a manager with the loyalty that Ted had and people forget that Saints qualified for Europe twice (1969/1971) under his stewardship - long before Koeman's arrival. He also stayed a little longer....

Probably first recall Hoddle coming in after the England sacking, went earlier than that just didn't really care about the manager probably didn't care about the new manager until we employed Strachan..Was reasonably happy with him as he was a funny man went I watched his interviews managing Coventry. First started supporting/watching us when it was Dave Jones. Maybe went to one or two games just before he was manager. I can't actually remember :?

I'm very jealous of the slightly older supporters than me that got to see Le God in his prime when they weren't too young.

Wel, I am a 'slightly older than you' saints fan who had the pleasure to grow up watching MLT in his prime... But this also means that the first manager change I can remember is when Branfoot took over! At the time, I was desperate for Jimmy Case to take over...

First game was in '69 so remember Ted & Lawrie , but don't ever really remember thinking about other managers or replacements . Don't even remember thinking much about Chris Nicholl either , despite being 20odd . First real appointment I remember being against was Branfoot , my mates dad was a sports reporter and i remember him telling me about Branfoot's hoof ball at reading . I wanted the bloke who had done a great job at Boscombe instead , a certain Mr H Redknapp

Saw my first game in 1963 as a nipper so the first big change was Lawrie's appointment ten years later. Manager appointments then were never the subject of speculation, they just happened so I didn't really have much of an opinion on his appointment. By the time we appointed Branfoot I was living and working in Reading and was horrified when he was appointed. He was around at Elm Park on a few occasions when I was there watching kids I taught playing for Reading Schools FA. Came across as a complete k u n t. He got everything he deserved from us!

Saw my first game in 1963 as a nipper so the first big change was Lawrie's appointment ten years later. Manager appointments then were never the subject of speculation, they just happened so I didn't really have much of an opinion on his appointment. By the time we appointed Branfoot I was living and working in Reading and was horrified when he was appointed. He was around at Elm Park on a few occasions when I was there watching kids I taught playing for Reading Schools FA. Came across as a complete k u n t. He got everything he deserved from us!

First change I can remember was Lawrie to Nicholl. I can recall fans being hacked off at Lawrie's comments but all forgotten now. The Nicholl years were exciting but we couldn't defend to save our lives which limited the best finish to seventh despite some superb young players.

Then the players got Chris the sack by losing 6-2 at relegated Derby and not trying. What happened next though - as you describe above - Branfoot's appointment. We'd been linked with all manner of big names but for Askham to have done that was astonishing. For younger posters, imagine the club appointing Steve Evans, Alan Knill, Steve Davis or Aidy Boothroyd today - it really was that bad. Not as bad as the diabolical football which followed and the huge sums squandered on has-beens like Dixon and Speedie. Took us many years to recover and even longer to rid ourselves of Guy Askham - thank God we eventually did although it took administration.

First one I remember was Alan Ball taking over from Ian Branfoot. Went to my first game at The Dell that summer (think it was either against Norwich or Ipswich.....or Palace!) Wasn't really old or clued up enough (think I was about 11) to have an opinion on the manager though, I just wanted to see Le Tiss play!

Nicholl was Saints manager when I got into football supporting, so the first appointment I rememeber was Branfoot.

I was too young and naive to be as underwhelmed by that as I possibly should have been!

Similar to me - I remember my Dad wanting Ivan Golac because he had been his hero in his playing days.

Similar to me - I remember my Dad wanting Ivan Golac because he had been his hero in his playing days.

You mentioned him so I had to watch "THAT" goal...

Woof.

Possibly my favourite 'non-LeTiss' Saints goal... ( possibly :) )

I grew up with Lawrie, but drifted away from football for a couple of years and although I remember Lawrie leaving, really can't remember any reaction to Nicholl coming in. So my first will have to be Branfoot. I was disappointed to see the end of Nicholl and his amazing attacking line up. Branfoot never really inspired anyone. It was pretty underwhelming and my QPR supporting housemate took the **** constantly at how tinpot we were.

First game was 2002 when I was 8, we got the FA cup final that year and so Strachan was in charge. First new appointment when I was a fan would have been Paul Sturrock. I thought he was OK at the time and remember being really optimistic when we beat Liverpool 2-0. I seem to remember really liking that team, despite so many poor results under him, and very anti climactic after getting to the FA Cup final the year before. The 3-3 with Newcaslte was great fun to watch and probably the game that got me hooked on a lifetime obsession with football.

First time I remember being really excited by an appointment was Pardew, although I was pleased to see him go by the end.

First game was 67/8 with Ted Bates in charge, so McMenemey was first appointment. If I recall correctly he had already been taken on as Ted's assistant months beforehand - with a plan to take over when Ted was good and ready - to ensure continuity. That's a practice I'd like to see us continue today, although I guess only a young up and coming manager would be willing to play that waiting game. As for who I wanted, in a pre-internet, pre-clubcall, pre-pretty much everything era it never even crossed my mind there was a choice.

I grew up with Lawrie, but drifted away from football for a couple of years and although I remember Lawrie leaving, really can't remember any reaction to Nicholl coming in. So my first will have to be Branfoot. I was disappointed to see the end of Nicholl and his amazing attacking line up. Branfoot never really inspired anyone. It was pretty underwhelming and my QPR supporting housemate took the **** constantly at how tinpot we were.

Used to love Nicholls' teams. Some of the most exciting football I've ever seen Saints play!

First game was 2002 when I was 8, we got the FA cup final that year and so Strachan was in charge. First new appointment when I was a fan would have been Paul Sturrock. I thought he was OK at the time and remember being really optimistic when we beat Liverpool 2-0. I seem to remember really liking that team, despite so many poor results under him, and very anti climactic after getting to the FA Cup final the year before. The 3-3 with Newcaslte was great fun to watch and probably the game that got me hooked on a lifetime obsession with football.

First time I remember being really excited by an appointment was Pardew, although I was pleased to see him go by the end.

how come?