The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

What is the Southampton way?

More importance on the academy, as you and everyone else knows.

Serious point. Poch brought some through. Gave quite a few a glimpse of the 1st team. Run outs for a few minutes here and there. Some had more time. RK comes in, gives 5 players a bit of time in his first season. Targett gets the most time *****il he fell out of favour) but none of those other 5 featured this season and no new debutants either. Harry Reed is the prime example, and I have raised this before. He's just dropped off the 1st team radar. I don't want to be revisionist or have a downer on RK, but under MP, the academy was something to be really proud of. RK it was a bit meh! Did Harry Reed suddenly go from being a good prospect under MP, and one that I was really looking forward to, to being not good enough under RK? Which goes on to MPel - would he have brought through the academy players?

More importance on the academy, as you and everyone else knows.

Serious point. Poch brought some through. Gave quite a few a glimpse of the 1st team. Run outs for a few minutes here and there. Some had more time. RK comes in, gives 5 players a bit of time in his first season. Targett gets the most time *****il he fell out of favour) but none of those other 5 featured this season and no new debutants either. Harry Reed is the prime example, and I have raised this before. He's just dropped off the 1st team radar. I don't want to be revisionist or have a downer on RK, but under MP, the academy was something to be really proud of. RK it was a bit meh! Did Harry Reed suddenly go from being a good prospect under MP, and one that I was really looking forward to, to being not good enough under RK? Which goes on to MPel - would he have brought through the academy players?

Watching Reed in u21's he seemed to be stagnating - I didn't understand why he wasn't played in cup games. MPel played Inneacho? but he is a supreme talent - guess we will never know. Once Clasie came in that route was blocked.

With the result last night I think the academy production line will be even more important than before (still shocked by that) think we will see a bit of recruitment in that age.

I was fortunate to watch a few academy games earlier this year and we have some good ones coming up - may take a couple of years.

With the result last night I think the academy production line will be even more important than before (still shocked by that) think we will see a bit of recruitment in that age.

I was fortunate to watch a few academy games earlier this year and we have some good ones coming up - may take a couple of years.

Do you think we will need to see some recruitment in the way the Academy is run when a new manager arrives?

I get the importance of our academy!.

But is it the Southampton way to raise raw talent and then sell it on at vast profit margins in so keeping us financially stable, to not have the ability to hold onto our better players, to not be able to keep our successful managers longer than 2 seasons.

If the Southampton way is a particular way of doings things then don't we need a lttle re think and do things slightly differently?.

I get the importance of our academy!.

But is it the Southampton way to raise raw talent and then sell it on at vast profit margins in so keeping us financially stable, to not have the ability to hold onto our better players, to not be able to keep our successful managers longer than 2 seasons.

If the Southampton way is a particular way of doings things then don't we need a lttle re think and do things slightly differently?.

The Southampton Way has got us 7 consecutive league position improvements under 4 different managers.

Regarding the little rethink did Guan not mention a new direction and haven't the club got a new 5 year plan ? Sounds a bit like a rethink to me.

Can I also point out that the club haven't appointed or rejected anyone yet ? Just some speculation in a largely clueless press and by bookies whose favourite seems to change every 5 minutes.

The Southampton Way is merely a corporate slogan and it sounds like you do not get the difference between a slogan and a culture. The Southampton Way is not a PR slogan it is a particular way of doing things, how people are treated, what the values of the business are, what the objectives, are how they go about achieving those objectives. You can attempt to condone this so often called corporate speak as none sense but the reality is that every single business, every single family or group of friends have their own culture, what they do and what they say and how theŷ think. The Southampton FC culture is ever evolving and is clearly based in sound foundations and has success running through its veins at most levels and areas of the business. This is not the club we had under Askham or Lowe or Wilde which also had a culture.......predominantly a small-minded culture, whereas under the leaders since administration that mindset has changed significantly.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And there's me thinking we were a football club first and foremost

The key questions is what lengthily contract do we offer this new manager?

Why should we gamble now and lose him in 2 years time if we offer a 3 year one now.

Probably because if it doesnt work for whatever reason we end up having to pay a shed load of money to sack him.

And there's me thinking we were a football club first and foremost

So in you your world what does that actually mean? Of course we are a football club first but it's a business too that needs to be successful in that sense first otherwise you end up in administration.........oh! You're supposed to be an expert on our history but clearly you have not learnt from it.

What is the Southampton way?

I've been wondering about that as well. Maybe we were not looking in the right direction? We thought it meant the way we play football whereas the club obviously think it is about how to make money through asset development. In other words the Southampton Way is to run a business as a zero-sum cash cow.

We would keep Mane, of course we would if it was about football, wouldn't we. You don't need to be a cynic, you need to think about what you would do if charged with the task by the owner of running her business sustainably.

Didn't our U21 and U18 sides do pretty poorly last year?

That is probably why we are looking at doing some poaching of youngsters, playing on the good record of developing players and getting first team progression over say a Chelsea or Man City.

It's apparent that the conditions and criteria that the club have imposed on potential managers has hindered negotiations and rather limited its choice.

Have we rejected Miss Chile cos her t!ts are too small?

I hope we haven't hamstrung ourselves.

So in you your world what does that actually mean? Of course we are a football club first but it's a business too that needs to be successful in that sense first otherwise you end up in administration.........oh! You're supposed to be an expert on our history but clearly you have not learnt from it.

No need to get all snotty, just because I come from a generation that remembers when football was just football. But I understand it is a business these days and as such has to move forward along those corporate ideals you have so kindly explained. But I reserve the right to express my cynicism, forgive me for not swallowing all the bull....

Let the bedwetting commence.............dear oh dear.

What a bunch of wet blankets. We have improved year on year which shows the club knows what it is doing. It is not about one individual (player or manager or coach) and for those mocking the 'Southampton Way'.......it hasn't been too bad for the last 7 years has it?

Why not give the club and new manager (whoever that may be) the benefit of the doubt. Lord knows they've earnt the right.

Let the bedwetting commence.............dear oh dear.

What a bunch of wet blankets. We have improved year on year which shows the club knows what it is doing. It is not about one individual (player or manager or coach) and for those mocking the 'Southampton Way'.......it hasn't been too bad for the last 7 years has it?

Why not give the club and new manager (whoever that may be) the benefit of the doubt. Lord knows they've earnt the right.

You are right - Reed and Co have delivered in the past and fair play but all I am saying its let's not get too far up our own backsides.

Why is everyone assuming we turned down Pellegrini? That may indeed be the case, particularly if he didn't impress at interview, not having the enthusiasm at his age perhaps? Or perhaps he turned us down when he heard the budget and what we want from him?

I'll reserve judgement until we actually appoint someone.

Perhaps Koeman was right about our lack of ambition. We had a chance to appoint Pellegrini and we turn him down for what looks likely to be someone with far far inferior experience. It's clearly not a shambles because it's all planned by the club, just a shame that it's now transparent that the people running our club do not want any more progression.

Southampton turn down Pellegrini. F*cking hell.

Is it possible he wanted more transfer money than Saints were prepared to give ?

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

This new direction is quite concerning . It could be a real emphasis on fast tracking the academy players into the 1st team so they can be in the shop window .

Sacrifice the league position but increase the money into the club...

Can we update the poll now, but who other than Puel is on the shortlist?

Didn't know we knew who was or is on the short-list anyway. It's all speculation . I'm OK with Puel myself, he's done pretty well eveywhere he's been. Monaco, Lyon, Lille and Nice. Anyway his daughter and mine are old aquaintances...

The Southampton Way has got us 7 consecutive league position improvements under 4 different managers.

Regarding the little rethink did Guan not mention a new direction and haven't the club got a new 5 year plan ? Sounds a bit like a rethink to me.

Can I also point out that the club haven't appointed or rejected anyone yet ? Just some speculation in a largely clueless press and by bookies whose favourite seems to change every 5 minutes.

Wasn't it The Don's way up and till RK?.

Anyway, I am not knocking our achievements in any way or form, they have been exceptional to say the least, but like Fitzhugh Fella I get sick and tired of the expression 'The Southampton Way' and I find it almost embarrassing.

I think in reality saints have to ride each storm as it happens and act accordingly, yes there is probably some sort of criteria we try to stick by but fulfilling that is dependant on what is available be it a player, manager and finances.

Why is everyone assuming we turned down Pellegrini? That may indeed be the case, particularly if he didn't impress at interview, not having the enthusiasm at his age perhaps? Or perhaps he turned us down when he heard the budget and what we want from him?

I'll reserve judgement until we actually appoint someone.

It seems likely that the first 2 choices, Garcia, and Pellegrini, were interviewed, offered the job and both turned it down, and several reports have indicated that factors such as lack of control over all aspects of team management and transfers were the reasons why. It's even possible that more than 2 candidates have already rejected it. Obviously, the club's PR will want to put its own spin on those events. I'm still hoping that we'll get Frank de Boer but I'd be very surprised if he or any other strong, experienced manager will be prepared to work under the conditions Reed will want to impose on him.

It seems likely that the first 2 choices, Garcia, and Pellegrini, were interviewed, offered the job and both turned it down, and several reports have indicated that factors such as lack of control over all aspects of team management and transfers were the reasons why. It's even possible that more than 2 candidates have already rejected it. Obviously, the club's PR will want to put its own spin on those events. I'm still hoping that we'll get Frank de Boer but I'd be very surprised if he or any other strong, experienced manager will be prepared to work under the conditions Reed will want to impose on him.

Where have you seen for a fact that we have offered and been turned down?

Where are these reports you allude to outside of the press speculation?

Where are these conditions that Reed is imposing?

If you can't give them then your whole post is just your opinion (and another of your efforts to have a go at Reed). If you have please post links.

Rudi Garcia et Claude Puel ont rencontré les dirigeants de #Southampton. L'ancien coach romain a décliné l'offre. (L'Equipe) #PL

7:26 AM - 19 Jun 2016 · Neuilly-sur-Seine, France, France

Selon @lequipe, les dirigeants de Southampton ont rencontré Claude Puel et Rudi Garcia, qui lui a décliné l'offre.

http://m.goal.com/s/fr/news/33/transferts/2016/06/19/24787922/rudi-garcia-refuse

http://www.wynfoot.fr/actualites/categorie/roma/70837590?t=rudi_garcia_refuse_so

This new direction is quite concerning . It could be a real emphasis on fast tracking the academy players into the 1st team so they can be in the shop window .

The new direction could be what you say or it could be that we're getting the entire first team squad to do ballet dancing. Who knows ? All any of us know is that Guan has said that there is a new direction. Even that could be wrong but it's pretty certain that none of us know what it is.

So how on earth can you find the new direction quite concerning when you haven't got the faintest idea what it actually is ?

Just saying HITC is not a place to go for inside scoop news, in fact it's the last place you'll see it. That was yesterday which HITC obviously just copied. Now they already have a new story about a different manager. Which HITC will probably copy later on.

Rudi Garcia et Claude Puel ont rencontré les dirigeants de #Southampton. L'ancien coach romain a décliné l'offre. (L'Equipe) #PL

7:26 AM - 19 Jun 2016 · Neuilly-sur-Seine, France, France

Selon @lequipe, les dirigeants de Southampton ont rencontré Claude Puel et Rudi Garcia, qui lui a décliné l'offre.

http://m.goal.com/s/fr/news/33/transferts/2016/06/19/24787922/rudi-garcia-refuse

http://www.wynfoot.fr/actualites/categorie/roma/70837590?t=rudi_garcia_refuse_so

This is old news from a few days ago. All it says is that Puel met with the club and held talks, which we already knew

The new direction could be what you say or it could be that we're getting the entire first team squad to do ballet dancing. Who knows ? All any of us know is that Guan has said that there is a new direction. Even that could be wrong but it's pretty certain that none of us know what it is.

So how on earth can you find the new direction quite concerning when you haven't got the faintest idea what it actually is ?

Probably because on the basis of the last 8 hours, new directions are bloody awful

Mainly because I'm cynical I guess .

No proper bloke stops to ask for directions. Have a word with yourself pal. ;)

After the nation has gone all anti foreigners we've surely got to appoint a British, sorry English, because Scotland won't be hanging around, manager ��

Northern Ireland and Wales to follow. That only leaves Adkins

[quote=kermitsaint;2360813 Quote)

,,, but only temporarily, because it was 'arry that gave into Lowe and played the whole team - once. Not that we were going to get out of the Championship that way.