The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

I don't really know enough about Puel and Pereira other than what I've seen and read over the last few days. I trust the club to make the right decision but I'm going with Pelligrini for now simply because:

- PL experience

- Europe experience

- pretty 'big' name

- Feels like he might stick around a while as he's a bit older and like England

- I'd heard of him two weeks ago

I don't really know enough about Puel and Pereira other than what I've seen and read over the last few days. I trust the club to make the right decision but I'm going with Pelligrini for now simply because:

- PL experience

- Europe experience

- pretty 'big' name

- Feels like he might stick around a while as he's a bit older and like England

- I'd heard of him two weeks ago

Everton wanted Pereira before they got Martinez so that would be funny, and he has a decent win %, but he has IRA in his name so I don't trust him. :-)

I know least about Puel, his win record isn't so good and he's spent his whole life in France. Not a bad thing per se, it just makes me worry wary of him than the other 2.

So that leaves Pellegrini, my choice of the 3 listed above, though that shortlist is more underwhelming than some names I've heard in the last 2 weeks on here. Pellegrini has good pedigree, can man manage, has a name to attract players and seems quite likeable. His win % is also very good and he encourages attacking football.

Whoever we go for, I'll support them, I just hope we make the appointment early next week so we can concentrate on other things.

Does Pellegrini have the hunger for it though or is it just a pay day? That's what I would be weeding out during the interview. The others will have a point to prove. If Pellegrini does have it then his work for Malaga in particular is impressive and relevant.

The three Ps. Pellegrini, Pereira and Puel.

Thanks.

Have to say that I know of nothing of Pereira and Puel so for that reason, and because he has a blooming good pedigree, I'm going for Pellegrini.

If we did get Pellegrini, its a long way from Wotte, eh!

Pellegrini was my choice from day one. He will turn us into top four challengers.

Whatever you say about City's form last season, this guy has won the Premier League and would become out-and-out the club's most illustrious managerial appointment in history.

Does Pellegrini have the hunger for it though or is it just a pay day? That's what I would be weeding out during the interview. The others will have a point to prove. If Pellegrini does have it then his work for Malaga in particular is impressive and relevant.

Well, he'll be near-on 70 by the end our our new 5 year plan, I won't be that far behind, I hope he'll be more enthusiastic about his job than I'm likely to be at that age.

Don't particularly want any of them. I've fallen love with Rudi and the club should do everything in their power to get him because I want him and I want him now.

Pereira looks astonishingly average - exchange Greece for Scotland and basically he's Alex McLeish.

Puel looks boring. One league wonder and drab. No.

Pelligrini basically a central American Peter Stringfellow.

I'd go Manuel P as the best option of the three but don't believe for a second we'd appoint him.

At least Howe is out.

I really wanted Rudi just cos of the songs they could play before games.......

Puel leaves me cold, Pellegrini could be OK (not sure he is known for giving youth a chance) and know nothing about Pereira but his pedigree seems good

I really wanted Rudi just cos of the songs they could play before games.......

Puel leaves me cold, Pellegrini could be OK (not sure he is known for giving youth a chance) and know nothing about Pereira but his pedigree seems good

Pereira's pedigree really is spectacularly average. The last time we shipped a manager in from Greece we ended up with Van Gobbel, Robbie Slater and nigh-on relegation.

Will we ever learn??

Pellegrini did well with Villarreal too, if you cast your minds back.

Sorry to be 'that guy' but in seven years we've gone from Mark Wotte to a Premier League winning manager who guided a team to the last four of the Champions League last season and has previously managed Real Madrid.

Just... wow.

I trust the board to make the right appointment.

Forget pellegrini, he's a chequebook manager.

The others do nothing for me looking at their cvs

Was excellent at Malaga and Villarreal, clubs that are about our current level.

Not excited by any of the above.

Pelligrini - nice bloke, but I just wonder if he'd inspire the squad. I just visualise him wondering around the training ground in a tracksuit, but his tartan check slippers really giving him away.

Puel - have read some good things about him but note the critiscism of his style of play.

Vitor - seems too much of a gamble and his track record appears a jorneyman and nothing to write home about.

At least Garcia had been at some decent clubs.

If forced to choose one of the three then Pelligrini would be the one, but I was hoping for a more exciting choice. Cetainly if Pelligrini is selected then it exposes a myth as to how well prepared we are in keeping tabs on up and coming managers who fit our profile.

I'd still have Jorge Sampaoli as my first choice, he still hasn't signed for Sevilla yet but as I'm posting this he'll probably be confirmed tomorrow

After that FDB or Pellegrini will be fine I suppose, not impressed with the other 2.

Some names from the past there, like Egil Ostenstadt and Marian Pahars. I know Marian has management experience, but does Egil?

I'm wondering if none of the 'fancied names' land the job if the job will eventually go to complete outsiders. It would be interesting to know about these twos' managerial credentials - if only because they are true Saints.

Not excited by any of the above.

Pelligrini - nice bloke, but I just wonder if he'd inspire the squad. I just visualise him wondering around the training ground in a tracksuit, but his tartan check slippers really giving him away.

Puel - have read some good things about him but note the critiscism of his style of play.

Vitor - seems too much of a gamble and his track record appears a jorneyman and nothing to write home about.

At least Garcia had been at some decent clubs.

If forced to choose one of the three then Pelligrini would be the one, but I was hoping for a more exciting choice. Cetainly if Pelligrini is selected then it exposes a myth as to how well prepared we are in keeping tabs on up and coming managers who fit our profile.

I worry Pellegrini might nod off during late kick offs; also, have a look at his eyes, looks like he has a liver condition.

I think anyone who wouldn't be excited by Pellegrini rocking up here needs their brains tested, PL winning manager, managed at some of the top clubs in Europe, experience of managing at a similar size club to Saints with a similar philosophy (Villarreal), don't see what anyone doesn't like to be honest.

Pellegrini for me too however, the one thing I can't come to terms with is the fact given the playing resources he had at Citeh he only won the league once or am I just being picky?

No, I think there is big question mark as to how he will do with a smaller quality squad than he had at Citeh.

Puel for me, forward thinking and in it for the long term....Pellegrini is top notch but short term...not for me.

What evidence is there that he is 'forward thinking'? And if he did come here do you not think he might use this as a stepping stone as our last two have?.

Pelligrini. Yes, I've had the same thought that he isn't a long term appointment, but as two seasons is the going rate now why might we expect anything more from him or another.

For me Puel has a point to prove as its a step up, plus it sounds like he plays a style we want to see here and improve/bring through the youngsters.

Really ? On the previous thread it was commented that he played a defensive style.

Cetainly if Pelligrini is selected then it exposes a myth as to how well prepared we are in keeping tabs on up and coming managers who fit our profile.

Thing is, the club can keep tabs on every manager going, but they have to want to come here firstly, and also once the club meets them they might not be quite suitable.

Garcia would have been my uninformed choice....after that I really haven't a clue.