The New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Who Would You Choose?  

415 members have voted

1. 1. Who Would You Choose?

Didn't Crab Lungs call for Marco Silva? He'll be pleased!

A bit different to Pellegrini...

He did. Although cf saint beat him. Posted this in January.

Agree far better RK stays. If he goes I will put in shout for Marco Silva. Managed local club here in Portugal and got them twice to Europa league on zero money. Then to Sporting and now at Olympiakos where Asenal defeat aside he is 16 wins in 16 in their league. He seems good where there is little money and only reason I see Koeman goes in near term is if it seems we are not going to spend.

Still plumping for the lack of ambition card, or lack of any real player funding to push on. Managers of course want to push on, not settle for the good of their career

I wonder on the terms we offer, for instance, are we looking for a maximum return for medium or minimal outlay ? It sometimes feels that way, and the more and more its going on it makes me more pessimistic

Ive no doubt we have our targets, but securing them has never been our strength. It seems our top targets have pulled out of the running after speaking to us, the latest potentially being pellegrini

After all we struggle to hold onto top talents or coaches for long at all

Maybe Im being unnecessarily pessimistic, but its an unfortunate reoccuring theme

Don't think he's linked at all, which for some reason makes me think it might be him. If that makes any sense.

I haven't seen Silva linked other than a me and a couple of other posters saying he would be a good potential manager. I am no way ITK - just saw him work very well at tiny Estoril and then likewise at Sporting.

I haven't seen Silva linked other than a me and a couple of other posters saying he would be a good potential manager. I am no way ITK - just saw him work very well at tiny Estoril and then likewise at Sporting.

Ps I now defer to Saint Armstrong for the link ;)

Still plumping for the lack of ambition card, or lack of any real player funding to push on. Managers of course want to push on, not settle for the good of their career

I wonder on the terms we offer, for instance, are we looking for a maximum return for medium or minimal outlay ? It sometimes feels that way, and the more and more its going on it makes me more pessimistic

Ive no doubt we have our targets, but securing them has never been our strength. It seems our top targets have pulled out of the running after speaking to us, the latest potentially being pellegrini

After all we struggle to hold onto top talents or coaches for long at all

Maybe Im being unnecessarily pessimistic, but its an unfortunate reoccuring theme

The Telegraph reported we offered Koeman £86,000 per week (£4.5m p/a). There are not many clubs in world football that offer more. Is that not ambitious?

I think that the Board are taking so long as they are trying to gain the courage to approach

another South Coast club to ask about their manager.

Yes I am talking about the great Paul Cook from Pompey !!!

I am of course joking and just trying to bring a smile during this worrying time :lol:.

would be intrigued to have Saint Armstrong/Connor's thoughts on today, as you seem to work in football comms. Why do saints leak info that Pellegrini (fan fave) ain't getting the job on the same day as Wanyama leaves (fan favourite/top player) ? Also with the truly bizarre youtube video where the presenter knows more than the panel but can't say anything. seems all a bit confused how club is trying to get message out!?

Wilson seems to be closest to what is happening at St.Mary's so he's probably not too far off the mark with this latest article. I'm not excited about this appointment so looking to being pleasantly surprised.

1st Job, Monaco:

Won the league in his only full season in charge

2nd Job, Lille:

Took them to CL twice, finished 2nd in 2005 (highest finish in 50 years)

3rd Job, Lyon:

Took them to CL semis for first time in history

4th Job, Nice:

Took them to 4th in the league when they were 13th when he arrived

That's pretty much it at a quick glance, doesn't seem any better than Rudi Garcia.

1st Job, Monaco:

Won the league in his only full season in charge

2nd Job, Lille:

Took them to CL twice, finished 2nd in 2005 (highest finish in 50 years)

3rd Job, Lyon:

Took them to CL semis for first time in history

4th Job, Nice:

Took them to 4th in the league when they were 13th when he arrived

That's pretty much it at a quick glance, doesn't seem any better than Rudi Garcia.

That's pretty decent. More important that he matches our philosophies though, although it's clearly good that he's got a record of building sides that win games. (obviously...)

Not who I would have picked but hey, I haven't been in on the talks and if he's who the club goes for I think they've earned the trust.

Right behind him from day one, then!

Great news! I wanted him as soon as K Billy confirmed he was the mystery man and Garcia was no longer interested.

Claude Puel's Red and White Army (We hate Pompey)

Claude Puel's Red and White Army (We hate Pompey)

*clap clap clap* *clap clap*

repeat ad infinitum

would be intrigued to have Saint Armstrong/Connor's thoughts on today, as you seem to work in football comms. Why do saints leak info that Pellegrini (fan fave) ain't getting the job on the same day as Wanyama leaves (fan favourite/top player) ? Also with the truly bizarre youtube video where the presenter knows more than the panel but can't say anything. seems all a bit confused how club is trying to get message out!?

Try and find something written or said by Alex Crook and you'll know what young Armstrong thinks.

#lapdog

Apart from Puel's lack of experience managing outside of France, what is everyones beef with him? His track record, both in the league and in europe, seems very good.

Better managers like Pellegrini available rather than gamble our Prem future on someone not managed anywhere but France

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Better managers like Pellegrini available rather than gamble our Prem future on someone not managed anywhere but France

We like risks. We don't do easy, we don't buy success we breed it and other les reed sound bites.

I know Wilson is "connected", but considering Pellegrini is out, Pereira is out, Klinsmann was never in and Garcia is out - leaving Claude Puel still in the hat, it's an easy article to write saying he's the frontrunner.

For some reason I want Silva....seems a better fit but what do I know.

We like risks. We don't do easy, we don't buy success we breed it and other les reed sound bites.

So Virgil/Fraser let me introduce you to Manuel . Impressed?

Lads this is our new manager Claude Puel.....who???

Sorry not impressed but hey been wrong before just think it's arrogance to reject someone who managed Real and his record compared to Puels

Isn't the key thing about wanting a manager who is good at bringing the kids through having good kids in the first place? Cart, meet horse. Big mistake

I know Wilson is "connected", but considering Pellegrini is out, Pereira is out, Klinsmann was never in and Garcia is out - leaving Claude Puel still in the hat, it's an easy article to write saying he's the frontrunner.

For some reason I want Silva....seems a better fit but what do I know.

There was something about him being the "mystery man" seemed to mean something.

So Virgil/Fraser let me introduce you to Manuel . Impressed?

Lads this is our new manager Claude Puel.....who???

Sorry not impressed but hey been wrong before just think it's arrogance to reject someone who managed Real and his record compared to Puels

Can you name one other club that would turn down Manuel Pellegrini in favour of Claude Puel? It is just absolute madness. The board better know what they are doing here as the fans expected someone high profile, the players will want someone high profile and instead we've ended up with some bloke with a mediocre record in a not particularly competitive French league.

I'm not impressed at all and can't help but feel we've thrown away our chance to bring in a real first class manager. Hope I'm wrong.

Why not wait and see how it pans out before passing judgement? I am sceptical but hope it works out.

Lets be honest.....Pochettino would not have been a household name before Saints and he quickly gained the respect of the players. If it is Puel hopefully he will do the same.

Certainly would not have been my choice but its not my choice. The club have got far more right than wrong in recent years so think we all have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Not sure how Puel would be a better fir than FDB but hey ho.

Why not wait and see how it pans out before passing judgement? I am sceptical but hope it works out.

Lets be honest.....Pochettino would not have been a household name before Saints and he quickly gained the respect of the players. If it is Puel hopefully he will do the same.

Certainly would not have been my choice but its not my choice. The club have got far more right than wrong in recent years so think we all have to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Less of that sensibility around here, washsaint.

So if we want managers to coach younger players get in FDB and Bergkamp.

Agreed with other points but just seems a wasted opportunity .

So if we want managers to coach younger players get in FDB and Bergkamp.

Agreed with other points but just seems a wasted opportunity .

I don't necessarily think being a great footballer in your playing days means you're going to be a great coach to develop players.

Probably helps in a lot of instances, though.

Why do we do this when we are at our strongest?

Move to new stadium 2001 - appoint Stuart Gray

Finish 6th in PL and qualify for Europa League - appoint Claude Puel

Comparing Puel to Gray is ridiculous.

That was Gray's first job and Puel has been managing for 17 years.