Pre-Season (2016/17)

SuperSAINT

Just thinking about who is still to come back into the team;

Davis, Long, Cedric, Fonte, Bertrand, Forster ...

Those are 5 key players. We looked nice in the first half yesterday, 2nd half not so good after all the changes (inevitable), but at least it gives Puel a chance to see who could possibly make the step up, if anyone. I think we'll miss Mane the most out of the players we've sold. But Redmond is looking like a great buy.

So the youngsters.....

Lewis

McQueen

Reed

Valery

Jones

Hesketh

Gallagher

Isgrove

Olomola

Turnbull

Any opinions on who might make the step up?

McQueen was playing out of position, did OK-ish sometimes going forward, but looked shaky at the back. Reed I like and think he might be the best of them. Valery did well as did Hesketh, but wonder if they are ready yet.

I think a few have a chance, but I'd say the likes of Isgrove, McQueen and possibly Gallagher need to start looking elsewhere for regular football.

Agree. Turnbull too possibly. He is behind Stephens and now seemingly Jones and will be 22 in October.

In general I think the younger ones have more long term potential. Jones and Valery especially look promising out of those listed.

I like Alfie jones, looks like a perfect CB in terms of stature and he's very calm on the ball.

You could say the progress of Isgrove, McQueen, Gallagher etc stalled - and they're now at an age where they can't really be seen as promising youngsters anymore.

I like Alfie jones, looks like a perfect CB in terms of stature and he's very calm on the ball.

You could say the progress of Isgrove, McQueen, Gallagher etc stalled - and they're now at an age where they can't really be seen as promising youngsters anymore.

Certainly agree with you on Alfie.

Isgrove is now 23 and he's already showed decent glimpses at Barnsley - That's where he should be looking now IMO.

Sam McQueen & Sam Gallagher need a really good loan spell out somewhere next season IMO.

Agree. Turnbull too possibly. He is behind Stephens and now seemingly Jones and will be 22 in October.

In general I think the younger ones have more long term potential. Jones and Valery especially look promising out of those listed.

The younger ones look like they've got more potential as the older ones were stunted in their development the last year or 2. I was gutted we lost Koeman, but his regime whilst being awesome for the 1st team, did nothing for the youngsters - they needed to be more involved with the 1st team squad as they were under Pochettino.

Oh well, it's done now. Hopefully many of them can get good loans and grow. If we get 1 or 2 from that list in the first team, then that'll be great.

Open questions - where is Callum Slattery? Where is Jason McCarthy?

Ta.

McQueen looks like he will be in the squad, has looked accomplished, apart from one error against Twente. Actually looks better thsn Targett now he is playing in his original position. Stephens is clearly ready, probably no worse thsn Gardos. Isgrove makes no impression. Valery looks good, probably decent backup for Cedric. Jones is good, but probably needs another year or so. Afraid Sam G is mot up to it, and not sure about OO. Reed looks good for a while, then disappears. Haven't seen anythimg from snyone else that would indicate they are ready. Hopefully Seager can make an impression when he recovers.

And as usual, for those who like it in formation...

SAINTS: Forster; Martina, Yoshida, Van Dijk, Targett; Ward-Prowse, Romeu, Clasie; Redmond, Long, Tadić.

Of course, it could be a diamond.

DM: Romeu

CM: JWP + Clasie

AM: Tadić

ST: Redmond and Long

Edited by Saint-Armstrong

No Davis or Bertrand.

Alongside Fonte and Cedric its fairly possible they won't be ready in time for the Watford game surely?

Only two friendlies left after this and imagine they will only play 45mins at first so Davis and Bertrand would have a max of one 90mins before Watford assuming they play 90 (or thereabouts in the Bilbao game).

Fonte and Cedric won't make the first friendly next week for certain and quite possibly not the second either so surely couldn't be match fit for the start of the season?

Help please with a simple question. I've seen that there's a 2-4-1 offer for free entry to the Athletic game if you buy a ticket for Wednesdays game against Espanyol. I've bought my ST seat ticket for the Athletic game next Sunday so will it allow free entry to the earlier Espanyol game? Can't find any info on Saints website.

No Davis or Bertrand.

Alongside Fonte and Cedric its fairly possible they won't be ready in time for the Watford game surely?

Only two friendlies left after this and imagine they will only play 45mins at first so Davis and Bertrand would have a max of one 90mins before Watford.

Fonte and Cedric won't make the first friendly next week for certain and quite possibly not the second either.

Not sure why they can't be ready they were fit enough to play in a tournament a couple of weeks ago.

Pro footballers now have all the science and support needed to get them fit and ready to play.

It's not as if they haven't played with defence before either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No Davis or Bertrand.

Only two friendlies left after this and imagine they will only play 45mins at first so Davis and Bertrand would have a max of one 90mins before Watford assuming they play 90 (or thereabouts in the Bilbao game).

Fonte and Cedric won't make the first friendly next week for certain and quite possibly not the second either so surely couldn't be match fit for the start of the season?

There's no way we are going to let first team players turn up unfit for the start of the season.

Help please with a simple question. I've seen that there's a 2-4-1 offer for free entry to the Athletic game if you buy a ticket for Wednesdays game against Espanyol. I've bought my ST seat ticket for the Athletic game next Sunday so will it allow free entry to the earlier Espanyol game? Can't find any info on Saints website.

http://www.saintsfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/20160720-southampton-espanyol-friendly-virgin-media-tickets-3196114.aspx

Half-way down

Not sure why they can't be ready they were fit enough to play in a tournament a couple of weeks ago.

Pro footballers now have all the science and support needed to get them fit and ready to play.

It's not as if they haven't played with defence before either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Its the science and support that would stop them playing matches before they are ready. After their holidays they will need to build up to playing games the same as the other players all did.

No way Fonye and Cedric will play a friendly 3 days after starting training again and surely unlikely they will play a PL game without playing a friendly?

No Davis or Bertrand.

Bizarre.

Bizarre.

Quite. These are top athletes - they are not going to forget how to kick a ball or stay in position because of a couple of weeks off.

Players with injuries or suspensions mid season can miss a couple of weeks or more and slot right back into the team. Sure, after a long lay off with injury a game with the reserves is good, but not always required. Preseason friendlies are not purely 'match fitness' exercises.

Work away from the pitch, on fitness and tactics, is just - if not more - important and that is happening ("its happening").

Of course Fonte will be fine to start against Watford, and so will Forster and Soares if picked.

We're looking toothless in the final third so far, just lacking any real zip. I guess Redmond upfront isn't a wise idea so far, he's much more effective from wide positions. Targett was injured early on, McQueen isn't suited for LB he gets done for pace and positioning isn't good. It'll get better but players trying to adapt to this shape.

I agree with you; but plenty do not. I haven't seen J-Rod play in this pre-season but, sadly, the chances of him becoming an effective attacking force in the Prem again seem slim. We are playing a high risk strategy if the speed and creativity of Mane is not replaced.

On what factual basis are you writing JayRod off, specially as you haven't seen him play recently?

JWP and Tadic terrible so far. Only pre-season but not a lot to cheer the cockles of the heart yet.

Obviously we are missing Bertrand and Cedric but the full backs playing now just don't have the quality to play in this system.

Certainly would not say this is an attacking style of play. Dull would be a better word.