Pre-Season (2016/17)

SuperSAINT

Pelle / Lambert?! ;)

Agree.

Can't finish though :)

Not sure Austin has the hold up ability or overall technique of those two.

He is first and foremost a goalscorer. Get him in the box and create chances and he will score, but he might not do much link up wise.

Just noticed VvD is captain. Good choice, I would give it to him after Fonte, he constantly talks through the game, Martina wouldn't play half as well if VvD was guiding him through every match and helping him with his positional sense.

To be fair, you criticized his lack of pace.

Not a criticism, there isn't much he can do about it. But he certainly isn't as refined a player as Lambert or Pelle. They didn't have pace but did have attributes Austin doesn't.

As said, create chances and he will score. But he might not do a lot else.

He's not very good really is he, limited, he'll put them away given the chance in the pen area, but offers little else, no hold up ability and a real lack of pace.

I really can't believe we don't think we need a target man up front. It's been in our DNA since Rickie joined. (& it hasn't done us badly in that time!)

He's not very good really is he, limited, he'll put them away given the chance in the pen area, but offers little else, no hold up ability and a real lack of pace.

He is a striker if he puts the ball in the back of the net 15+ times next season I couldn't care less if he isn't the most refined of players. As long as we play to his strengths he'll score goals and if scores lots of goal's where's the problem?

I really can't believe we don't think we need a target man up front. It's been in our DNA since Rickie joined. (& it hasn't done us badly in that time!)

Except last season where people was crying out for Pelle to be dropped for Long upfront which actually worked better.

Except last season where people was crying out for Pelle to be dropped for Long upfront which actually worked better.
Its still a very good option to have though. Austin has got to score a serious amount of goals if that's his only contribution to our game.

Has looked a decent work out for the side so far, midfield three have got in the game well, as has Tadic.

Its still a very good option to have though. Austin has got to score a serious amount of goals if that's his only contribution to our game.

Has looked a decent work out for the side so far, midfield three have got in the game well, as has Tadic.

I'd be fine with us having a target man in the squad but I don't agree it's in our DNA I'd rather be pragmatic than dogmatic.

With Austin if he replicates his QPR form with 18 goals next season we'd all be happy wouldn't we? Don't think any of our forwards have managed that since we got back to the PL.

Skipped through much of the you tube video but looked a good exercise in calmly keeping possession. Pretty good display for the first warm up match. Difficult to take too much from the match but not too much to worry me either.

McQueen playing in left wing back position for the first time since he was 12 and Luke Shaw swiped positions with him. I think he offered more than Matt Targett in the first half. He actually made a couple of good tackles. Got caught out being too far forward once or twice but went past their right back so easily several times. He does always perform pre-season but hasn't been given the opportunity with first team appearances. I think he is a confidence player that will perform if challenged but struggles if he gets knocked back. Is that something you can change in a player? Maybe Puel will be the right manager for him. This could be his season.

How did the new guys look Redmond & Hojbjerg

Redmond - was energetic as you would expect. Linked up nicely with Martina on a few occasions, but had less success playing Austin in. Overall thought he looked decent.

Hojberg - Hardly had time to get involved - but did spring a couple of nice 25 yard forward passes to get the attack moving down the flanks.