The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

From Todays Echo:

SAINTS are expected to announce Claude Puel as the club's new manager today, the Daily Echo understands.

The meticulous search for a new boss has run on for more than three weeks, with many high profile candidates picked up on Saints' radar, including former Manchester City head Manuel Pellegrini.

But it is the former Nice, Lyon, Lille and Monaco manager who the Saints board feel is best suited to the demands the St Mary's job brings, with his commitment to youth football and attacking style of play notable attributes the club's hierarchy were impressed by.

• 32 things you didn't know about Claude Puel

Now Saints hope Puel can be announced as Ronald Koeman's replacement today, so he can begin work as Saints' 20th manager during the 24-year Premier League era.

The Frenchman should be in place for the start of pre-season training tomorrow, when the likes of James Ward-Prowse, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin and Oriol Romeu will attend his first session at Staplewood.

Those players that are still, or have been, on duty with their countries at Euro 2016 will return to the Saints fold for their trip to Holland on July 22.

For Puel, who at Monaco won the French league as boss and made nearly 500 appearances for during a one-club playing career, this is his first job in English football.

That is scarcely a rarity at Saints these days however, with both Koeman and his predecessor Mauricio Pochettino being brought to Saints for their maiden jobs in England.

Puel has a close ally in Arsenal's Arsene Wenger, for whom he worked closely with at Monaco as a player and coach, and he will likely call upon him as he settles in at St Mary's.

The 54-year-old ticked many boxes for Saints during an extensive hiring process.

His experience in European football is a major plus for Saints as they head into the Europa League group stages next term.

Supporters' favourite Pellegrini and former Roma and Lille boss Rudi Garcia were considered by Saints, but neither of them represented an ideal fit - while Vitor Pereira of Fenerbahce was also ruled out.

AFC Bournemouth's Eddie Howe was another that Saints looked at but decided against.

After initial training sessions at Staplewood, Puel will take Saints to a pre-season training camp in America for a week from July 11.

It will be during the Baltimore excursion that Puel will take charge of his first match in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Friday July, 15.

Following their return from the USA, Puel will have the opportunity to bring the entire Saints squad together for the trip to Holland to face Eredivisie sides PEC Zwolle, FC Twente and FC Groningen.

It will be on Holland trip that Puel will get to fully establish where his team will need improvements.

St Mary's then get their first taste of what they can expect from the new man's team on Sunday, 7 August with a friendly against Athletic Bilbao.

From Todays Echo:

SAINTS are expected to announce Claude Puel as the club's new manager today, the Daily Echo understands.

The meticulous search for a new boss has run on for more than three weeks, with many high profile candidates picked up on Saints' radar, including former Manchester City head Manuel Pellegrini.

But it is the former Nice, Lyon, Lille and Monaco manager who the Saints board feel is best suited to the demands the St Mary's job brings, with his commitment to youth football and attacking style of play notable attributes the club's hierarchy were impressed by.

• 32 things you didn't know about Claude Puel

Now Saints hope Puel can be announced as Ronald Koeman's replacement today, so he can begin work as Saints' 20th manager during the 24-year Premier League era.

The Frenchman should be in place for the start of pre-season training tomorrow, when the likes of James Ward-Prowse, Jay Rodriguez, Charlie Austin and Oriol Romeu will attend his first session at Staplewood.

Those players that are still, or have been, on duty with their countries at Euro 2016 will return to the Saints fold for their trip to Holland on July 22.

For Puel, who at Monaco won the French league as boss and made nearly 500 appearances for during a one-club playing career, this is his first job in English football.

That is scarcely a rarity at Saints these days however, with both Koeman and his predecessor Mauricio Pochettino being brought to Saints for their maiden jobs in England.

Puel has a close ally in Arsenal's Arsene Wenger, for whom he worked closely with at Monaco as a player and coach, and he will likely call upon him as he settles in at St Mary's.

The 54-year-old ticked many boxes for Saints during an extensive hiring process.

His experience in European football is a major plus for Saints as they head into the Europa League group stages next term.

Supporters' favourite Pellegrini and former Roma and Lille boss Rudi Garcia were considered by Saints, but neither of them represented an ideal fit - while Vitor Pereira of Fenerbahce was also ruled out.

AFC Bournemouth's Eddie Howe was another that Saints looked at but decided against.

After initial training sessions at Staplewood, Puel will take Saints to a pre-season training camp in America for a week from July 11.

It will be during the Baltimore excursion that Puel will take charge of his first match in a behind-closed-doors friendly on Friday July, 15.

Following their return from the USA, Puel will have the opportunity to bring the entire Saints squad together for the trip to Holland to face Eredivisie sides PEC Zwolle, FC Twente and FC Groningen.

It will be on Holland trip that Puel will get to fully establish where his team will need improvements.

St Mary's then get their first taste of what they can expect from the new man's team on Sunday, 7 August with a friendly against Athletic Bilbao.

So we can expect no improvements to the squad until Late July?

I've just popped on to see how the annual meltdown is progressing and who else got that Universal ad at the top of the page saying "It's never too early to start panicking"? :)

It's also never too late to grow a backbone for some of our 'supporters'.

Welcome Claude Paul.

You'd think with all the negative comments on here, we would get a refund! Used to like the banter, but it's just one way negativity now. I opted for FDB at the start but am equally intrigued to see what Puel can bring to the table. Couple of decent replacements and we still have a decent side. If Stephens, Slattery can make the step up too, all the better. Either way I am excited, I support the team regardless, I remember camping a few years ago and listening to Saints lose the league one opener to Plymouth. The excitement was just as real then! The reality is that the top 6 will be even more difficult to crack this season even for a club like Spurs. I expect Man U, Chelsea, City ( all with new hungry managers) and Arse to occupy top 4 slots, then you bring in Liverpool and Spurs with maybe, us, Hammers and Stoke. Its going to be a tough season and throwing money at it isn't the answer. We will have our ups and our downs, memories to last a lifetime and hopefully a few new heroes along the way! We will turn up on a Sat with that air of nervous but excited tension, we will cheer, we will moan, its a football season and we love it! For me, hope to see exciting football, a decent cup run, a good stab at Europe and then see whee the league takes us! Nobody knows what kind of manager Puel will be, but our board have chosen him and I dont recall then letting us down much in the past. Just enjoy the ride

You'd think with all the negative comments on here, we would get a refund! Used to like the banter, but it's just one way negativity now. I opted for FDB at the start but am equally intrigued to see what Puel can bring to the table. Couple of decent replacements and we still have a decent side. If Stephens, Slattery can make the step up too, all the better. Either way I am excited, I support the team regardless, I remember camping a few years ago and listening to Saints lose the league one opener to Plymouth. The excitement was just as real then! The reality is that the top 6 will be even more difficult to crack this season even for a club like Spurs. I expect Man U, Chelsea, City ( all with new hungry managers) and Arse to occupy top 4 slots, then you bring in Liverpool and Spurs with maybe, us, Hammers and Stoke. Its going to be a tough season and throwing money at it isn't the answer. We will have our ups and our downs, memories to last a lifetime and hopefully a few new heroes along the way! We will turn up on a Sat with that air of nervous but excited tension, we will cheer, we will moan, its a football season and we love it! For me, hope to see exciting football, a decent cup run, a good stab at Europe and then see whee the league takes us! Nobody knows what kind of manager Puel will be, but our board have chosen him and I dont recall then letting us down much in the past. Just enjoy the ride

it clearly isnt. ffs

What he said.

Stop moaning about people moaning FFS!!

;)

What's brilliant is that Saints do all their business in private so when they do announce their new manager today it will be a complete surprise.

Not that I know it is being announced today. How would I know that?

Nuked pasties, freezing cold rubbish beer or the favourite PA system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yup they can sign players for multiple millions but they can't fix the PA system

They recruit from primary 5 to man the food outlets

Oh only if Sir Rupert was in charge of the pasties. I think they put them on to heat late Friday afternoon.

Well done Saints Web. With the exception of one or two, no one had heard of CP yet he has been written off as being useless.

Chapeau mes braves, chapeau.

Au contraire Rodney, some like me haven't written him off but are just a bit underwhelmed but hope he does well.

Interesting stat in that Echo article about 20 managers in 24 premiership years, I wonder whether that is part of choosing Puel, less likely to leave and more committed long term? Rather than the up coming starlet a la Poch that if succeeded would just be off after a few seasons. He's a Wenger protege and he's one of the longest serving managers around so maybe he has a more loyal character and likes a long term project?

One club man as a player, 6 years at Lille, 4 at Nice.

He is still for me a little underwhelming, but I'm not going to write him off as the club does it's due diligence. A lot about our club is the set up and the environment the players and staff work in, a lot of players we've had have not hit the heights they did since they've left and quite a few other players have prospered coming here despite indifferent records (i.e. Bertrand) so we can only hope that with the environment we have will maximise Puel's abilities as a manager, and he must have qualities there to build a team up like Lille last season.

Be a shame to see Sammy Lee go, think the players like Lee a lot, hope he doesn't and Black is just additional to help with the language.

Well done Saints Web. With the exception of one or two, no one had heard of CP yet he has been written off as being useless.

Chapeau mes braves, chapeau.

not many have written him off to be fair, he sounds ok, personally not what I expected but I like the idea of going back to the high intensity pressing game.

you can't deny however much icing you want to put on the cake that his record is patchy and it is limited to an average French League. Doesn't mean he won't be any good however but I can see why some are underwhelmed especially after the club bigging up us taking the next step up to Champions League in the next five year plan.

I quite like the sound of Claude Puel being our new manager. What can I moan about?

Budgeting 'for' 11th, which is about where are our revenue lies :uhoh: I.e. being a club who has gone through administration, and has subsequently decided to be financially prudent :thumbdown:

Good luck to the guy. Adkins worked out, Pochettino worked out, Koeman did well for us even if the end of his time here was badly done. No reason to doubt the board's judgement of Puel.

Looking forward to seeing how he does.

At least we can have an original song:

Claude Puel, ooh, Claude Puel, ooh

His name rhymes with Mule - and duel and fuel

Claude Puel, ooh, Claude Puel, ooh

How about

Oooh Claudie Claudie

Oooh Claudie Claudie

Oooh Claudie Claudie

Claudie Poo-poo-poo-poo-hell

[Hokey Cokey of course!]

Not really heard of him before he was linked with us but despite his up and down experiences in management the common theme in everything I have read about him is his commitment to attacking football and giving youth a chance. If he brings this approach to Saints that will buy him a lot of goodwill from supporters even during an indifferent period on the pitch.

Personally I am expecting European football to really stretch us this season and would happily accept a so-so mid-table finish in the league if it meant we gave the cups (all three of them) a good go whilst playing attacking football and continuing to see the commitment of integration of young homegrown players into the first team.

If Puel is an underwhelming choice for the fans, how will the players think? Koeman was obviously a world name and even if the young players hadnt heard of him they soon would have been told of his reputation. As for Puel and Black, surely a copy of Garde and Black but Garde had a better record

I think top 10 will be a challenge this year. Liverpool and Chelsea I expect to improve and have no Europe to distract them. Everton and West Ham have money to spend.

Anywhere above 12th plus decent cup runs and I will take that.

I think top 10 will be a challenge this year. Liverpool and Chelsea I expect to improve and have no Europe to distract them. Everton and West Ham have money to spend.

Anywhere above 12th plus decent cup runs and I will take that.

We have money to spend but to be honest I'd love to see us get to the knock out phase of the Europa and so if that means 10th positional and a good run in the cups I'd have it.

Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat ad nauseam.... ?

I'm afraid to say that that is exactly what you and many on here seem to do. I am curious, why bother even supporting Saints (that is if you do) if it causes you such angst? Anyway, must get out in to the real world today, so over to you to carry on your moaning and whinging.

No it doesn't but you can say that about all the clubs in the prem. I expect we will spend a fair chunk though.

True. You can also say that about the tv money coming in ; people keep going on about the extra cash we'll have available, but so do all the other prem clubs. All its really doing is widening the gap between pl and cship, and putting up transfer fees and wages.

Going to be a few empty seats this season if all these fans who have written the season of in June as they wont be coming to watch surely,

just spending their time at the bookies collecting all the winnings from betting on Saints to lose every game and get relegated..

From Todays Echo:

......... so he can begin work as Saints' 20th manager during the 24-year Premier League era.

Surely we must be close to top of the league in the the number of managers in the PL era? )I'm sure somebody can provide the league table??)