The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Let's just announce him now so the people that aren't happy with a manager that has taken a team to the semi finals of the champs league can have their hissy fits and move on. I'm sure the majority of fans will be happy it's done and dusted and can start getting some decent players in.

Like Cruella but with out the la bit at the end.

Poo-el

No,

Think of Stephanie Twell, Cross country and 5000 metre runner. Take away the T and put in a P, that's roughly it.

Alternative think on how non Welsh pronounced Pwellheli, knock off the eee sounds at the end and that's about it.

Means a young tree or bush from the old French.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Let's just announce him now so the people that aren't happy with a manager that has taken a team to the semi finals of the champs league can have their hissy fits and move on. I'm sure the majority of fans will be happy it's done and dusted and can start getting some decent players in.

Many people on here would probably not be happy if we signed Mourinho or Guardiola! Yep lets get it done and enjoy the signings coming our way....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Many people on here would probably not be happy if we signed Mourinho or Guardiola! Yep lets get it done and enjoy the signings coming our way....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mourinho was sacked from Chelsea so he can't be good enough for us!

It's not luck when you get it right so many times. We have decent recruitment and hopefully that'll continue. But it needs to be mixed with ambition. Redmond should not and cannot be the Mane replacement. .

We won't get it right all the time, as we have shown with say Clasie, who does not replace Morgan. You cannot keep selling quality and expect to get equal and better quality for less money.

We have done excellent work, but each progression we make it gets harder to improve, creating your own problems is only going to make that even harder.

And what if Redmond is supposed to replace Mane? What then?

1. we have 36 million reasons to sell him especially as he won't play for a while after Christmas and walk for a lot less money next season.

2. that's called negotiating Liverpool came out with 25 million in the press we came out with 40 million and we met some where in the middle

3. You'd be happier if we had strung out all summer for a couple of extra million and then rushed to find a replacement like Villa with Benteke last summer?

4. We sold him to the only team that wanted him and the team he wanted to play for. We finished above Liverpool for one season since getting back to the PL lets not try and make out we are now rival clubs (other than in the sense we both play in the PL)

The fight wasn't with Liverpool it was with Mane to convince him to stay. We offered him the biggest contract in saints history and still said no thanks at that point there is little point in fighting anymore better to move on and bring players who want to be at the club.

1. So just profit then? That is not a reason for ambitious football club, that's a business reason.

2. No that's called folding. We did not need to sell, so we do not need to negotiate. Liverpool want the player so Liverpool have to accommodate us, not the other way round.

3. I'd be happier with the club showing some backbone.

4. So then we don't sell him FFS. We didn't want to sell him so the number of bidders is irrelevant.

Liverpool are very clearly direct rivals, our aims for this coming season will be to improve on 6th, that means challenging for champions league. Those will be Liverpool's aims also, how are they not rivals?

None of this is evidence of the club putting up a fight. Also people keep harping on about this contract Mane was offered, but how much actually was it, saying it was the best deal offered to a Saints player ever if we only have ever offered £60k a week is not saying much.

Leicester have just offered a 29 year old with a terrible diet and bad training habits near £100k a week, I doubt we offered Mane anything close to that.

Not exactly the same, but I have 2 kids who go to bed perfectly 99 times out of 100 - without a fuss and stay there til morning. People say "oh, you're lucky". No, no we're not. We put a lot of hard work, and still do, in to instilling the right attitude and forming good behaviours so that, when it matters, they know the script and act accordingly.

Same with SFC.

We have processes and systems in place to ensure that when needed, we are adequately covered and not caught short.

Stop devaluing the job of many good people at the Club

No you are lucky, I know parents who would call you 'smug parents' because they think they are the only ones who can think of things like routines and structure.

There is also a huge difference between not getting caught short and actually improving the team. We need to do the latter, not just replace like for like (which we won't even manage)

Good footballers for low prices are not an endless supply, selling quality players when we don't have to is not a good way forward, however good the systems you have in place are.

I think people are getting carried away with the black box, it's just a scouting system, it's a decent scouting system but we cannot expect every replacement to be an improvement, especially when you are talking about key players.

It is very unlikely we will be able to replace either Wanyama or Mane with the same level of quality. So we are now forced to replaced TWO key players when we could have held on to Mane for another year and only had to replace Wanyama.

Out of interest if the club buy Ox getting him fully fit and playing every week do you think he has more potential than Mane or less ???? Just asking

The likelihood of that happening is pretty low. Happy to be proven wrong, that would actually be a decent statement of intent and a quality signing, but can't see it.

I seriously doubt we'll even spend all the money we have recouped.

You're being a bit of a drama queen. Stop being so negative when things are good for Saints.

Yeh it's just wall to wall good news at the moment, what us being manager less and having just sold two of our best players and bought a winger from a relegated club.

Who could possibly question any of that eh?

God forbid someone doesn't tow the party line and join in with the fanatics, as soon as you do that you are branded names like 'bedwetter' and 'drama queen' just because you have some criticisms.

I thought this was a forum where people debated stuff, not a church where everyone just claps and smiles with whatever is trotted out.

Yeh it's just wall to wall good news at the moment, what us being manager less and having just sold two of our best players and bought a winger from a relegated club.

If we had bought the players already as established stars then you would have a point, but the fact is, we bought them cheaply and improved them, which is exactly what we are continuing to do, every single player we have bought and sold in recent times we have improved (With the exception of the mental buy of Jonny Depp and Jumanji) and made massive profits on.

We're not replacing them with rubbish players, we are replacing them with players who have the potential to become as good, if not better than what we're selling.

The fact that we've done this for the past 3 seasons shows that this system is extremely successful and works.

People just need to get used to this fact, players will leave us, managers will leave us. Saints keeps on rolling....

God forbid someone doesn't tow the party line and join in with the fanatics, as soon as you do that you are branded names like 'bedwetter' and 'drama queen' just because you have some criticisms.

I thought this was a forum where people debated stuff, not a church where everyone just claps and smiles with whatever is trotted out.

You're just being critical really. We're going to bring in a manager who seems to have the expertise in Europe that we need and it looks like we have sold two players that were first teamers for a tonne of money and we will be investing that money in new players. Redmond is a decent player, it's not his fault that Norwich got relegated is it? So you wouldn't take any players at all from relegated teams? Maybe I'm just a glass half full person and you're a glass half empty person but I'm pretty excited about the new season, seeing what players come in and embarking on the group stage of the Europa League.

No,

Think of Stephanie Twell, Cross country and 5000 metre runner. Take away the T and put in a P, that's roughly it.

Alternative think on how non Welsh pronounced Pwellheli, knock off the eee sounds at the end and that's about it.

Means a young tree or bush from the old French.

I was giving an approximation since the sound doesn't exist in English

Who did he say he would bring?

I posted this yesterday

His assistants at Nice were Frédéric Gioria, Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal, but it seems to me that they are still employed at Nice (if wikipedia is reliable), so no idea if they would necessarily move with him. Gioria was at Nice before Puel arrived so not necessarily him. Guy Mengual was in charge of the U19 team and played with Puel at Monaco, so he could possibly come with him. Alexandre Dellal was the physical coach, and also worked with Puel at Lyon. With Jan Kluitenberg going, it is a role that needs filling.

Mengual left Nice when Puel did, but was the only one who did, the others were all kept on. But if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal will come with him.

Edited by Pamplemousse

I posted this yesterday

Nice, they were Frédéric Gioria, Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal, but it seems to me that they are still employed at Nice (if wikipedia is reliable), so no idea if they would necessarily move with him. Gioria was at Nice before Puel arrived so not necessarily him. Guy Mengual was in charge of the U19 team and played with Puel at Monaco, so he could possibly come with him. Alexandre Dellal was the physical coach, and also worked with Puel at Lyon. With Jan Kluitenberg going, it is a role that needs filling.

Mengual left Nice when Puel did, but was the only one who did, the others were all kept on. But if I was to hazard a guess, I'd say Guy Mengual and Alexandre Dellal will come with him.

Thanks for that.

Nah. It's an internet message board where Saints fans come on and talk ******, most of which is harmless opinion and speculation. A debate is something which happens face to face unlike here where insults by keyboard warriors are cheap and can be made with little or no consequence.

Thanks for that.

Indeed. Thanks Pamplemousse, although I'm on blood pressure tablets your information is a bit contra-indicated so I'll take it with a bit of salt (!), but our experience with Georges Prost was good, so maybe a shake of the youngsters too, which would fit in with our ethos and direction?

You're just being critical really. We're going to bring in a manager who seems to have the expertise in Europe that we need and it looks like we have sold two players that were first teamers for a tonne of money and we will be investing that money in new players. Redmond is a decent player, it's not his fault that Norwich got relegated is it? So you wouldn't take any players at all from relegated teams? Maybe I'm just a glass half full person and you're a glass half empty person but I'm pretty excited about the new season, seeing what players come in and embarking on the group stage of the Europa League.

Have to agree

Playing devils advocate..Surely if experience is such an important asset to have re the guy has it in Europe then we are shafted in the premier league as he has no experience of that?

Playing devils advocate..Surely if experience is such an important asset to have re the guy has it in Europe then we are shafted in the premier league as he has no experience of that?

Neither MP nor RK had experience of the PL either. Didn't do them much harm.

Neither MP nor RK had experience of the PL either. Didn't do them much harm.

For everyone that did well we can all name some who had no experience of the league and have failed? I just wondered why it's important for Europe but not for the premier league?

If we're supposed to get excited for this new guy on the basis that he got to the Champions League semi final then forgive my scepticism, after all that's an achievement that David O'leary managed, and of course Roberto Di Matteo & Avram Grant went one better and made the final. Would we be happy with one of those 3 for our new manager,because I wouldn't.

Underwhelmed by Claude Puel, but then most were underwhelmed by Pochettino, & Koeman even!

bit confused as to how he was seen as the best option by the club but it makes sense with Les reed interviewing! but he should be given a fair chance

I've become accustomed to not panicking during the annual staff upheaval now.....I hope this doesn't turn out to be the season where I should have had a total meltdown.:?

Edited by Ohio Saint
Original post was too awesome....Hade to make it dull.

come on the windows, give us the low down on this fella

is he someone that excites you coming to saints

will he style be exciting

is he a character

is he winner

or is he out of his depth

Solid manager now, meteoric rise some years back, spent a lot at Lyon, got to a CL semi but didn't win much else with them. Fell out with Aulas as everybody eventually does. Settled for a staid job with Nice who aren't a very rich club despite their surroundings and got sawtoothed results really. Then again they are a poor side.

I really don't know what to expect of him with Saints but he's a good manager, probably not very conciliatory but whether that will hamper him with us remains to be seen.

He likes winning to be sure, just lost his last appeal over a sacking payoff at Lyon so he'll be looking for a big win elsewhere.

Solid manager now, meteoric rise some years back, spent a lot at Lyon, got to a CL semi but didn't win much else with them. Fell out with Aulas as everybody eventually does. Settled for a staid job with Nice who aren't a very rich club despite their surroundings and got sawtoothed results really. Then again they are a poor side.

I really don't know what to expect of him with Saints but he's a good manager, probably not very conciliatory but whether that will hamper him with us remains to be seen.

He likes winning to be sure, just lost his last appeal over a sacking payoff at Lyon so he'll be looking for a big win elsewhere.

style of football more likely see?