The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

The club have already said (via their pet jurno in the telegraph) Pellegrini was spoken to but wasn't the training ground coach they want. The club seem to specifically want a manager who gets out on the training ground and coaches players to improve them. I guess having spoken to a few candidates the club feel Puel fits that criteria.

It's good economics to improve them. That way we can sell to Liverpool in 2 years at a vastly inflated profit. :lol:

Eric black joined villas staff a couple of days before the end of this January's transfer window. There was eff all he could have done to turn the club around then.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Eric black joined villas staff a couple of days before the end of this January's transfer window. There was eff all he could have done to turn the club around then.

Think you you need to look up his CV........nothing breath taking about it whatsoever!

The same as Sammy Lee then.

Black's CV makes Sammy Lee look like a footballing God !

Assistant to Steve Keane at Blackburn for a start, startling record at Rotherham, Wigan, John Barnes disaster at Celtic to name but three others. Doesn't compare with Sammy Lee with England, Liverpool and Saints does it ?

Black's CV makes Sammy Lee look like a footballing God !

Assistant to Steve Keane at Blackburn for a start, startling record at Rotherham, Wigan, John Barnes disaster at Celtic to name but three others. Doesn't compare with Sammy Lee with England, Liverpool and Saints does it ?

It's true that Eric Black has worked under many a ****house manager, not sure you can blame him for any of those failures though. Not as if the likes of John Barnes and Steve Kean were miracle workers whose success in management came to a screeching halt once Eric Black showed up.

Black picked up French when he played for Metz as a striker between 1986 and 1991 and that will work well at Bodymoor Heath. Villa have a large group of players who interact with each other in that language and the new assistant will be able to get his message across without any trouble.

No wonder they got relegated.

If this appointment is happening I for one am completely underwhelmed and beginning to wonder what direction the club is going.

It makes no sense, there is no suggestion he is an up and coming manager, no real suggestion he is a really proven manager when you take into account the french league in general is a Micky Mouse one. So what is he here for? A simple yes man to tow Reeds company line?

I feel this further muddies the waters surround Koemans departure and many of our players over the last few years. How, whilst we at worst have been more revenue neutral transfer wise than pretty much all teams in the PL and whilst the income from the PL and all other sources have been increasing and we dont seem to be able to complete with even the mid table teams on transfers, player retention and wages ill never understand.

Throughout all of the upheaval i like many have had an understanding that this is the way things work, it has always been teams above us that can offer more and we have always been able to have a good feeling and optimism about the appointments we have made but not this year. Bar VW we have lost our manager and top player for nothing other than money and it looks like our strategy for replacements leave a very underwhelming taste in the mouth.

For 3 summers we have had the 'meltdown' tag used, so much that it has become a bit of a joke. Funny that as it has become a joke it may actually be a time when it is a warranted reaction.

Same guy on Twitter who originally said that Eric Black was joining.

Cheers. K Billy has said we're getting Black so it's probably correct. Black's hardly an upgrade and if Sammy's been binned that's very unfortunate.

If this appointment is happening I for one am completely underwhelmed and beginning to wonder what direction the club is going.

It makes no sense, there is no suggestion he is an up and coming manager, no real suggestion he is a really proven manager when you take into account the french league in general is a Micky Mouse one. So what is he here for? A simple yes man to tow Reeds company line?

I feel this further muddies the waters surround Koemans departure and many of our players over the last few years. How, whilst we at worst have been more revenue neutral transfer wise than pretty much all teams in the PL and whilst the income from the PL and all other sources have been increasing and we dont seem to be able to complete with even the mid table teams on transfers, player retention and wages ill never understand.

Throughout all of the upheaval i like many have had an understanding that this is the way things work, it has always been teams above us that can offer more and we have always been able to have a good feeling and optimism about the appointments we have made but not this year. Bar VW we have lost our manager and top player for nothing other than money and it looks like our strategy for replacements leave a very underwhelming taste in the mouth.

For 3 summers we have had the 'meltdown' tag used, so much that it has become a bit of a joke. Funny that as it has become a joke it may actually be a time when it is a warranted reaction.

I'm with you on this. If we're getting a man in his late 40s or 50s he's gotta be properly proven , if he's young and has masses of potential then track record is less important. This bloke is neither a man with an excellent history, nor is he someone with an obviously bright future.

Thought we rejected Garcia to keep Sammy? Will be passed off if true and now he's being replaced by a failure in black!

I believe Garcia who was our no 1 choice wanted to bring in a team of coaches including a goal keeping coach.

Saints refused because they wanted to keep Watson because Forster wanted him to stay.

I have no idea about Sammy lee but I guess he could not follow Koeman to Everton.

When we qualify for the Champions League, there will be some classic posts from this thread to dig up again

How fantastic would that be! Alas, it's gonna be one tough and disappointing year ahead with the kinds of appointments we're making. Shame as I think we all thought the club would push on (again!) and really show their ambition. But if this is as far as the board want to take us then I suppose we need to be thankful for what they've already achieved and concentrate on building for the future.

In fact I think when Puel and his team are announced that will be able to bring all of us some closure on what has been an amazing journey. You could say it's the hope of us continuing our progression which kills us. At least now we know that's completely finished and we can bring our expectations back down to survival each year and the occasional relegation/promotion journey. It's been an amazing ride though! :)

Edited by niceandfriendly

As a coach myself I can say that Blacks job will probably be to work along side Sammy in planning/putting on the training sessions. Although he was the boss I doubt Ron delivered too many sessions, his role would of been to observe and jump in where he saw fit. The days when the manager 'put the cones' out are long gone!! We shouldn't get too carried away with the important if this role.

If Sammy has left, theoretically we will get Puel, Black and two others.

But seriously, there's nothing like a good old Saints fan melt down to observe.

Personally, I'd only be worried if we got to me August and we're thrashed by Watford.

Until then, the board know better than me.

It's still June FFS, let's see what the summer brings before ****ing the bed.

This is such a good comment from you Pilch. I´m a goal keeping coach - OK not at PL level but still think the goalies has the same mindset. A goalie want´s a coach that can develop him into a better goalie - so in this case keeping Watson is the key to keeping FF - thats the simple truth.

I believe Garcia who was our no 1 choice wanted to bring in a team of coaches including a goal keeping coach.

Saints refused because they wanted to keep Watson because Forster wanted him to stay.

I have no idea about Sammy lee but I guess he could not follow Koeman to Everton.