• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

I never said they didn't get jobs because of their connections you utter berk - that was one of the points I was making. As I said, they can make 10 times their salary of they went into proper jobs. I have proved that above, and now I have time to actually look into it I can come up with some more if you'd like? There are tons out there.

So much fail, so much of the time.

BTW, where have I said bankers are evil?

Please do, hopefully you'll answer the question which asked which MPs WOULD go on to earn ten times their current salary rather than list ex MPs that have. Sajid Javid is so far the only possibility.

But good news that there are 'loads' as it means they won't be struggling for pennies in the new year when they don't get re-elected ;)

Please do, hopefully you'll answer the question which asked which MPs WOULD go on to earn ten times their current salary rather than list ex MPs that have. Sajid Javid is so far the only possibility.

But good news that there are 'loads' as it means they won't be struggling for pennies in the new year when they don't get re-elected ;)

So, you asked me to name one, so I did, along with a number of examples of others who have done it in the past. And sorry, you don't think Gove may get editor of the Times? Or Hunt would go into a very high up job in the private medical sector? Come off it, they're prime for that.

Anyway, to answer your question:

Phillip Hammond

Boris Johnson

Geoffrey Cox QC

Jacob Rees Mogg

To name a few.

As I've indulged you, perhaps you can indulge me on how your crusade against racism is going, and whether you've reported all those disgusting, upsetting firms that are selling Mr T costumes on EBay as you promised you would? Or are you just hoping them dead, like you do people who drive in the middle lane of the motorway?

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

12 Dec election. Corbyn Govt here we come

Hung Parliament more likely.

Impossible to tell isn't it? I imagine Labour will improve a bit, the Tories will drop a bit but the real surprise will be the number of big individual constituency swings against the national trend.

The whole situation has been damaging since the referendum. I would love for him to be ousted but unfortunately many of this country’s voters seem to have a Trump mentality where they will quite happily vote for a pathetic narcissistic charlatan because they will say what they want to hear. Get Brexit Done sums it up. Getting Brexit Done is going to take years yet Johnson will have us believe that it will all be wrapped up once he gets his vote in Parliament. He will also have the backing of the right wing press so we can expect daily hatchet on Corbyn and the Labour Party. Apparently all you need to get elected now is charisma. Policies don’t matter.

It's pathetic. The last bloke I heard on the radio said "I voted Remain but I like Johnson now so I'm voting for him."

I never said they didn't get jobs because of their connections you utter berk - that was one of the points I was making. As I said, they can make 10 times their salary of they went into proper jobs. I have proved that above, and now I have time to actually look into it I can come up with some more if you'd like? There are tons out there.

So much fail, so much of the time.

BTW, where have I said bankers are evil?

And that's the problem. These so called proper jobs drive inequality to ever increasing extremes. Being an MP is a proper job and 80K is plenty.

Look, your lot lost. How long will it take to penetrate? Accept it. It isn't best of three, or however many attempts it takes until you get the "right" decision.

So, in the unlikely event of a Labour or LibDem majority in the GE, you'll bite your lip, accept the result, and stay shtum for 5 years ?

Look, your lot lost. How long will it take to penetrate? Accept it. It isn't best of three, or however many attempts it takes until you get the "right" decision.

Then you won’t mind having a better informed second referendum then will you if you are so sure the majority is with you. Face it. You are crapping yourself because more and more people understand what it will mean to leave.

The point is now we know a lot more about what Brexit means to the economy and to the Union etc. It makes perfect sense to put it back to the people for a final decision.

We are. 12 Dec. Don’t forget to put your sandals on before going out to vote

Whoever wins, so be it

So, in the unlikely event of a Labour or LibDem majority in the GE, you'll bite your lip, accept the result, and stay shtum for 5 years ?

I’ll want the result enacted.

This is what you remoaners don’t seem to understand. Nobody is asking you to shut up, nobody is asking you not to campaign to change the minds of the country. Nobody is asking you not to want to rejoin. All we’re asking for is for the result to be implemented.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

Still pretending you knew what you were voting for then?

No need to pretend, I knew exactly what I was voting for. I'd had over 40 years to find out. Next you'll not like the General Election result and insist that nobody knew what they were voting for and that the election should be rerun.

This is what you remoaners don’t seem to understand. Nobody is asking you to shut up, nobody is asking you not to campaign to change the minds of the country. Nobody is asking you not to want to rejoin. All we’re asking for is for the result to be implemented.

Post #8670

That is my view, ( and I voted remain ). I'm not sure how to resolve some of the issues that come with it; NI, Gibraltar, Anguilla, etc, but I took leave to mean leave, and damn the consequences.

:smug:

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What is so mystical about a vote 3.5 years ago that means it should trump everything that happens after, including two general elections

No need to pretend, I knew exactly what I was voting for. I'd had over 40 years to find out. Next you'll not like the General Election result and insist that nobody knew what they were voting for and that the election should be rerun.

How did you know about the border down the Irish Sea, or the £39 million leaving bill, or the fact that Scotland and Northern Ireland would vote differently to England - risking a break up of the UK? You got a crystal ball?

How did you know about the border down the Irish Sea, or the £39 million leaving bill, or the fact that Scotland and Northern Ireland would vote differently to England - risking a break up of the UK? You got a crystal ball?

I dont think any of us at grass roots level, whether Remainers or Brexiteers, or any of those supposedly 'In the Know' understood the various complexities of Brexit.

I such a scenario there should be a second vote on Brexit but I am afraid we are too far down the line for this and, as a country, we have to face the consequences.

The vast majority of people I speak to in business are extremely concerned about the effects of Brexit and our Govts ability (of whatever colour) to keep us on the straight and narrow.

Meantime a long but prophetic view of the consequences of Brexit was written before the vote by AA Gill if anyone can locate it.

You asked whether I knew what I was voting for in the referendum and I did. Regardless of what has transpired since because of the complete lack of negotiating skills of remainer May and the EU's desire to punish us because we dared to leave their protection racket and to create a giant hole in their finances, I have not a single ounce of regret. Leaving now with a clean break WTO Brexit is fine by me; I certainly would prefer it to the Boris surrender treaty.

You asked whether I knew what I was voting for in the referendum and I did. Regardless of what has transpired since because of the complete lack of negotiating skills of remainer May and the EU's desire to punish us because we dared to leave their protection racket and to create a giant hole in their finances, I have not a single ounce of regret. Leaving now with a clean break WTO Brexit is fine by me; I certainly would prefer it to the Boris surrender treaty.

You come over as very bitter. What is the matter ??

He was mugged off again, first by the Leave campaign, and now voting for Boris believing he'd have us out of Europe by now.

It makes people angry when they've been fooled over and over, especially when they continuously double down on those mistakes, and I don't blame him for being angry at being fooled time and again. It's embarrassing.

I’m sure there are many that share your view, I expect there are many more who have a different view after “what has transpired since” which is why it makes sense to have another vote. What was promised in 2016 and the reality we face are chalk and cheese.

The big difference is that if we don’t like a Government we can vote them out every 5 years or so. In 5 to 10 year’s time when the economy is shot we will not be able do anything about it.

But you aren't happy with the Withdrawal Agreement devised, negotiated and heartily recommended by the Prime Minister, one of the most important spokesmen for the official Vote Leave campaign supported in his team by the strategic director of the official Vote Leave campaign and the co-chairman of the Vote Leave campaign. And voted for in the House of Commons by Bill Cash, Steve Baker, Marc Francois, Priti Patel and all the rest.

You knew exactly, precisely what you were voting for but it wasn't that? Strange.

It is difficult to infer emotion from a written post and you demonstrate that it is possible to misinterpret it. I am not bitter at all. Disappointed at how incompetent we have been in our negotiations, but having waited so long for us to leave, I can wait patiently a little bit longer, because it will happen. The bitter ones are those who couldn't even wait five minutes after the referendum before bleating about how unfair it was and that it should be rerun until we thickos get it right.

But you aren't happy with the Withdrawal Agreement devised, negotiated and heartily recommended by the Prime Minister, one of the most important spokesmen for the official Vote Leave campaign supported in his team by the strategic director of the official Vote Leave campaign and the co-chairman of the Vote Leave campaign. And voted for in the House of Commons by Bill Cash, Steve Baker, Marc Francois, Priti Patel and all the rest.

You knew exactly, precisely what you were voting for but it wasn't that? Strange.

It really is quite a simple concept, Fry. I'm surprised that you cannot grasp it. Just because events brought about a situation that I believe would have been much better had Remainer May not negotiated our leaving so badly, doesn't mean that I didn't know what I was voting for. Many Labour and Lib Dumb voters are in much the same situation if they voted to leave and subsequently found that their party leadership then ratted on them by not honouring their election promises to respect the referendum vote. The leavers you mention in the Conservative Party were a minority in a Parliament packed full of Remainers representing constituencies of mostly leave voters. Consequently, they faced a situation of voting for a watered down surrender treaty or the risk of not leaving at all. Or do you just believe that they had always wanted this BRINO? :rolleyes:

Can I ask why you attack May for her negotiating, but not Boris? They've achieved much the same.

I see plenty of left and centre people criticising their leaders when they get it wrong, but I notice that, like Trump, Boris gets a bye to do pretty much anything from his supporters. It's a little bit cultish to just announce everything he does as a "blinder" and never admit he gets it wrong sometimes, which he clearly does. Why don't you hold BJ accountable for his shortcomings? I can find fault with all the major leaders in the UK and the US. Pretending every action is part of some kind of infallible masterplan is a little naive.

It really is quite a simple concept, Fry. I'm surprised that you cannot grasp it. Just because events brought about a situation that I believe would have been much better had Remainer May not negotiated our leaving so badly, doesn't mean that I didn't know what I was voting for. Many Labour and Lib Dumb voters are in much the same situation if they voted to leave and subsequently found that their party leadership then ratted on them by not honouring their election promises to respect the referendum vote. The leavers you mention in the Conservative Party were a minority in a Parliament packed full of Remainers representing constituencies of mostly leave voters. Consequently, they faced a situation of voting for a watered down surrender treaty or the risk of not leaving at all. Or do you just believe that they had always wanted this BRINO? :rolleyes:
Wes Im sorry but people of your mindset and LD is the reason that the society that we live in has a great chance of changing forever as the disenchantment towards the Tories may bring in a government that will hurt us more than any EU policy would ever do. Brexit was a mad cap idea and you sowed the wind but we will reap the whirlwind.

All those bragging that they joined the Labour party to vote for JC thinking that they would never get elected, how wrong that theory looks now. Ok Boris may win the day, but if he doesn't!! and f he does are we in a win situation as we leave the EU with hardly the best deal ever.

Can I ask why you attack May for her negotiating, but not Boris? They've achieved much the same.

I see plenty of left and centre people criticising their leaders when they get it wrong, but I notice that, like Trump, Boris gets a bye to do pretty much anything from his supporters. It's a little bit cultish to just announce everything he does as a "blinder" and never admit he gets it wrong sometimes, which he clearly does. Why don't you hold BJ accountable for his shortcomings? I can find fault with all the major leaders in the UK and the US. Pretending every action is part of some kind of infallible masterplan is a little naive.

You obviously haven't been following this saga very closely since June 2016. Boris has had to pick up the pieces from the bad situation he inherited from May. No doubt had he been in charge of the negotiations from the very beginning, we would be in a very different position now. May having lost the Conservatives majority in Parliament, Boris has had to fight every inch against a Remainer majority determined not to honour their election manifestos and a rogue Speaker bending the rules to thwart the Executive by granting Parliament the power to make decisions that historically would not have been in their gift. I wonder what sort of deal you would have expected him to achieve with the EU when legally he was denied the ability to walk away from a bad deal? You're the naive one here.

You obviously haven't been following this saga very closely since June 2016. Boris has had to pick up the pieces from the bad situation he inherited from May. No doubt had he been in charge of the negotiations from the very beginning, we would be in a very different position now. May having lost the Conservatives majority in Parliament, Boris has had to fight every inch against a Remainer majority determined not to honour their election manifestos and a rogue Speaker bending the rules to thwart the Executive by granting Parliament the power to make decisions that historically would not have been in their gift. I wonder what sort of deal you would have expected him to achieve with the EU when legally he was denied the ability to walk away from a bad deal? You're the naive one here.

What would be a good deal then and how would it work with Northern Ireland?

Wes Im sorry but people of your mindset and LD is the reason that the society that we live in has a great chance of changing forever as the disenchantment towards the Tories may bring in a government that will hurt us more than any EU policy would ever do. Brexit was a mad cap idea and you sowed the wind but we will reap the whirlwind.

All those bragging that they joined the Labour party to vote for JC thinking that they would never get elected, how wrong that theory looks now. Ok Boris may win the day, but if he doesn't!! and f he does are we in a win situation as we leave the EU with hardly the best deal ever.

Our mindset? We are a part of the majority of the electorate who are democrats believing that MPs are our servants not our masters and that we elect them to do our bidding. If you're going to talk about disillusionment or disenchantment towards our political class, then that is plainly and simply because they have wilfully ignored the decision of a referendum vote. Thankfully many of those rebel Tories are either not fighting for their seats this time around, or will be looking for another job come December 13th. The same with MPs from many Labour seats in Leave voting areas.

It isn't very credible stating that Brexit was a madcap idea when we haven't even left yet. It smacks of premature ejaculation. ;)

What makes you so certain he would have negotiated a better deal than May, given how inept he has shown himself to be in all of his previous political posts?

I very probably am, but I can't see by what evidence you think she was a bad negotiator and he would have done better. It just seems to be decision you've made. This is the kind of"cult of Boris" thing that I asked about before, where people on his side seem to view him as infallible and can't accept that he's ever done anything that wasn't perfect. The only other leader of a party I see getting that kind of blinkered adulation from his fanbase is Trump.

Had a free trade deal been agreed with the EU from the start, then NI wouldn't have been a problem. The useless May allowed the EU to set the agenda to weaponise the NI border.

That was never on the cards Les. Withdrawal agreement first, future relationship second. The sequencing was clear from the start. Cue you to bloviate about Donald Tusk and misunderstand what was actually said.

And no a FTA wouldn't have solved the NI border both in terms of customs and SM regulatory alignment.

I know you and OldNick think trade deals with a more powerful party are like running a carboot sale but the walk-away threat was never credible.

You persist in it because every other myth you've held and based your vote on in June 2016 has been exposed as bunkum. That's all you've got left -a tenuous what if- to convince yourself that it has been the implementation of Brexit, not the inherent idiocy of Brexit that has landed us in this mess.

I very probably am, but I can't see by what evidence you think she was a bad negotiator and he would have done better. It just seems to be decision you've made. This is the kind of"cult of Boris" thing that I asked about before, where people on his side seem to view him as infallible and can't accept that he's ever done anything that wasn't perfect. The only other leader of a party I see getting that kind of blinkered adulation from his fanbase is Trump.

Suit yourself if you believe that May was a brilliant negotiator and that nobody could have handled it much better. She negotiated like the remain voting vicar's daughter she is.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction