• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Boris and Cummings are playing a blinder. If Steptoe and his band of traitors win a no-confidence vote, it's the People vs the Marxists. This will result in a landslide win for the Conservative/Brexit party, with the total annihilation of Labour, the Remainers and a no deal Brexit. Lose the no confidence vote and we're out with a no deal Brexit.

Win-win... :smug:

Have to admit this is a finesse of the highest order, and shows up the disastrous approach and tactics of the opposition, who have been more obsessed with fighting each other than presenting a united front, and should have seen this coming.

Looks like "no-deal" is coming, Cassandra is going to find out how accurate her prophesies will prove to be.

Yep no deal is the most likely outcome; but don't underestimate Johnson's unnecessary escalation focusing the minds of the opposition parties and tory backbenchers.

Edited by shurlock

Boris and Cummings are playing a blinder. If Steptoe and his band of traitors win a no-confidence vote, it's the People vs the Marxists. This will result in a landslide win for the Conservative/Brexit party, with the total annihilation of Labour, the Remainers and a no deal Brexit. Lose the no confidence vote and we're out with a no deal Brexit.

Or the election could be between those who believe in parliamentary democracy and those who have tried to pull what can only be described as a coup to bypass opposition and somehow save the Tory Party.

After this blatant disrespect of parliament those responsible, and their party should never again have the trust of the British people. Just remember, Johnson lies automatically. Only last Sunday he categorically denied any plan to prorogue parliament. Three days later he does it. He claims £350m a week for the NHS - an utter falsehood. And the current election pledges will quickly be forgotten if he gets a majority.

The British people would do well to realise that if he has no qualms over riding roughshod over parliament, what they'll be getting is more of the same.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Or the election could be between those who believe in parliamentary democracy and those who have tried to pull what can only be described as a coup to bypass opposition and somehow save the Tory Party.

After this blatant disrespect of parliament those responsible, and their party should never again have the trust of the British people. Just remember, Johnson lies automatically. Only last Sunday he categorically denied any plan to prorogue parliament. Three days later he does it. He claims £350m a week for the NHS - an utter falsehood. And the current election pledges will quickly be forgotten if he gets a majority.

The British people would do well to realise that if he has no qualms over riding roughshod over parliament, what they'll be getting is more of the same.

Behave, mate.

These are the dates for the proroguing of Parliament in recent years. Nothing to get excited about.

2016 - 15th Sept to 10th Oct

2017 - 14th Sept to 9th Oct

2018 - 13th Sept to 9th Oct

2019 - 9th Sept to 14th Oct

I can tell when you're really rattled, as you immediately indulge yourself in puerile name-calling. I admire your constraint though, only choosing the most infantile insult regarding his weight, when there was scope to be even more juvenile by insulting his general appearance, dress sense, background, education and other factors, none of which affect his ability to be Prime Minister.

I wonder what your clients would make of your character when considering appointing you as a consultant, were they to know how infantile you can be.

As for the Labour party. Remember "No more boom and bust", just before the biggest bust in history. Nice one Gordon Brown

Behave, mate.

These are the dates for the proroguing of Parliament in recent years. Nothing to get excited about.

Either you're incredibly naive or you think I am.

In none of those years was there critical outstanding business or a national crisis. There have been clear cross-party calls for parliament to sit through September and October. The dates he's proposing stretch things as far as he can and the purpose is obvious. His justification is laughable.

The one who's misbehaving and treating parliament and us with utter contempt is Johnson.

Either you're incredibly naive or you think I am.

In none of those years was there critical outstanding business or a national crisis. There have been clear cross-party calls for parliament to sit through September and October. The dates he's proposing stretch things as far as he can and the purpose is obvious. His justification is laughable.

On 2 October 2016, the Prime Minister, Theresa May, announced that she intended to invoke Article 50 by the end of March 2017, meaning that the UK would be on a course to leave the EU by the end of March 2019. On 7 December 2016, the House of Commons approved a non-legally-binding motion supporting Article 50's invocation by 31 March 2017. As a direct consequence of the Supreme Court ruling the House of Commons voted by a majority of 384 votes (498 to 114) to approve the second reading of the European Union (Notification of Withdrawal) Act 2017 to allow the Prime Minister to invoke Article 50 unconditionally.

Your lot had your chance, you just weren't paying attention...

Hi there, genuine question: Can you tell me why you're pleased at the prospect of no deal? Are you in a position to benefit from WTO tariffs on goods/ services? Do you believe the experts are all talking **** and it's a "project fear" thing? Do you feel a short/ medium term level of economic and social carnage is worth it for the sake of Sovereignty?

I've probably been looking in the wrong places but can't see any genuine benefits from No Deal?

I should add that I was a leaver that is now remain. Hands up, mea culpa etc - I ****ed up and didn't realise how bad leaving would be. I own my own business (service sector) and trade a lot (70%) with the USA (and know enough about politics over there to know a trade deal is totally impossible with Pelosi leading Congress and the huge internal influence of Irish PAC's) and a decent chunk with EU (15% - the rest is UK and ROW). I asked about benefiting from tariffs because being open and honest I benefit from a weak pound (we trade in $US and convert to £).

A single benefit of "no deal" would be interesting to hear anyway.

I love the hypocrisy of those Parliamentarians who stood on election manifestos to honour the referendum result, voted to trigger article 50 which stated that we would leave the EU on 30th March with or without a deal, and who bleat about democracy when they renege on their promises to deliver on the referendum decision. A substantial majority of MPs represent constituencies that voted to leave the EU and many of those who shout the loudest about democracy have even left the parties they stood for at the 2017 GE for rival parties and don't even have the guts or the decency to stand for re-election. Hypocrites one and all.

H

I've probably been looking in the wrong places but can't see any genuine benefits from No Deal?

A single benefit of "no deal" would be interesting to hear anyway.

I question your ability as a businessman if you believe that there are no upsides to a clean Brexit. Surely you must have believed that there were benefits to leaving the EU originally, or are you admitting that you made such an important decision on 23rd June 2016 based on nothing in particular? :mcinnes:

Current Polls show that there is a majority among those who expressed a preference that we should leave now on WTO terms. Maybe they are of the opinion that they are fed up with how we have been treated by the EU in the negotiations, how they believe that May f*cked up the negotiations, or perhaps they're just thick, because they don't realise that there are no upsides to Brexit, eh?

...and you didn't even mention weapons of mass destruction. At least no one is going to be killed because of Brexit.

Yes they will (and I'm not talking about the worst off in society that already rely on foodbanks and could cope with a spike in food and heating costs). If border patrols return to Ulster people will definitely due. That is a fact surely? As per his promise to Merkel, Johnson still has 25 days to provide a realistic alternative to the backstop though so as an optimist I'm hoping he finds something.

Hi there, genuine question: Can you tell me why you're pleased at the prospect of no deal? Are you in a position to benefit from WTO tariffs on goods/ services? Do you believe the experts are all talking **** and it's a "project fear" thing? Do you feel a short/ medium term level of economic and social carnage is worth it for the sake of Sovereignty?

For me the benefits of no deal are:

• The prospect of saving £39 billion to spend on UK priorities rather than EU vanity projects and pensions.
  • We can then negotiate a free trade deal with the EU, without having given them our wallet
  • The elimination of the EU regulatory controls that have turned our Agricultural Sector into the Museum of Farming, allowing for the introduction of GM crops, with more land available for wildlife/amenity.
  • The ability of the country to immediately negotiate FTA's with the rest of the world.
  • Control of free movement

As far as Nancy Pelosi and her Irish voters, I think you overestimate her and their influence in the US. As soon as she got involved in Brexit, the Continuity IRA let off bombs in Northern Ireland, so I think she'll be keeping her comments to herself in future.

Yes they will (and I'm not talking about the worst off in society that already rely on foodbanks and could cope with a spike in food and heating costs). If border patrols return to Ulster people will definitely due. That is a fact surely? As per his promise to Merkel, Johnson still has 25 days to provide a realistic alternative to the backstop though so as an optimist I'm hoping he finds something.

Get a grip of yourself

Project fear on saints web right here

I question your ability as a businessman if you believe that there are no upsides to a clean Brexit. Surely you must have believed that there were benefits to leaving the EU originally, or are you admitting that you made such an important decision on 23rd June 2016 based on nothing in particular? :mcinnes:

Current Polls show that there is a majority among those who expressed a preference that we should leave now on WTO terms. Maybe they are of the opinion that they are fed up with how we have been treated by the EU in the negotiations, how they believe that May f*cked up the negotiations, or perhaps they're just thick, because they don't realise that there are no upsides to Brexit, eh?

‘Clean’ - comical thick fcker

You're just so wrong and swallow everything that the tax dodging Irish have fed you. Interesting article here.

So what to make of Nancy Pelosi’s threat not to pass a comprehensive US-UK trade bill in Congress if the Good Friday Agreement is in any way damaged by Brexit? Only five days after the Speaker of the House of Representatives said that a return to the Troubles would end the deal and thus damage the UK catastrophically, the Continuity IRA let off a bomb in County Fermanagh. Mrs Pelosi’s dog whistle blast to her Irish-American voters was sadly all too audible to dissident republican terrorists who want to return to the bad old days before the Good Friday Agreement.

Brave Ulster policemen were extremely fortunate not to have been killed in the bomb-blast, but if Pelosi continues to link the trade deal to the Agreement, next time she might well wind up with innocent blood on her hands. The best way to avoid a hard border in Ireland is for neither London nor Dublin to build one, and the best way to go back to the Troubles is to allow Eire to annex Ulster economically in perpetuity, which is what the backstop does.

The above was pointed out by Boris last week, but nobody listened...

I love the hypocrisy of those Parliamentarians who stood on election manifestos to honour the referendum result, voted to trigger article 50 which stated that we would leave the EU on 30th March with or without a deal, and who bleat about democracy when they renege on their promises to deliver on the referendum decision. A substantial majority of MPs represent constituencies that voted to leave the EU and many of those who shout the loudest about democracy have even left the parties they stood for at the 2017 GE for rival parties and don't even have the guts or the decency to stand for re-election. Hypocrites one and all.
They also voted against a 'no deal'.

Or does that vote not carry as much weight as the others?

I'm a businessman too.

There are no upsides to Brexit. If there were I'm sure we would have heard of them over the last three years. In case I have missed any perhaps you could list one or two now. In your own words mind, not some vague link.

I have been asking this same question for years and I have yet to see an answer.

Behave, mate.

If you believe this time is no different, then you're a bigger cretin than your litany of cretinous posts and previous embarrassments that have marked you out as the biggest cretin on here.

Still betting on £ going up pal :lol:

Edited by shurlock

For me the benefits of no deal are:

• The prospect of saving £39 billion to spend on UK priorities rather than EU vanity projects and pensions.
  • We can then negotiate a free trade deal with the EU, without having given them our wallet
  • The elimination of the EU regulatory controls that have turned our Agricultural Sector into the Museum of Farming, allowing for the introduction of GM crops, with more land available for wildlife/amenity.
  • The ability of the country to immediately negotiate FTA's with the rest of the world.
  • Control of free movement

As far as Nancy Pelosi and her Irish voters, I think you overestimate her and their influence in the US. As soon as she got involved in Brexit, the Continuity IRA let off bombs in Northern Ireland, so I think she'll be keeping her comments to herself in future.

Thanks, appreciate that. at least you provided some perceived benefits unlike Wes Tender who didn't offer a single one and instead decided to try and mock by business acumen and ability to change one's stance after 3 years. Nice guy who I'll be ignoring from now on.

I'll respectfully disagree with you re trade. Using EU negotiated trade agreements my small business currently trades with countries all over the world easily. I'm lucky, I'm in the service sector and don't have to rely on the ports for import/ export. If I did the prospect of a NDB would make me look at setting up in the Netherlands or Germany personally. I'm probably a total snowflake for even suggesting that and no one else will be looking at it but personally that would be a key part of Brexit planning for me if I owned a import/ export goods business.

From what I've read about farming WTO tariffs will decimate the industry leading to mass slaughter of livestock. I should add that is just what I've read from the National Farmers Union and I'm not a farmer myself.

That £39bn is not guaranteed. If we refuse to pay the global money markets will see that as a payment default is my understanding. We will see though.

Control of free movement is a good point and one of the reasons I was a leaver before. My feelings on this are still strong as believe our services are stretched to breaking point in certain areas. However if our economy/ society doesn't attract global talent to come and work for the NHS though we have a problem.

One area I absolutely disagree with you is the influence of Nancy Pelosi. As Speaker of the House she is the third (a lot of people would argue second) most powerful person in US politics. Any new law or trade deal has to go through congress (which she controls) and once we hit October we are in a US election year cycle and there is zero chance of the dem's giving Trump a "win" via a major trade deal. The Irish influence comment is less to do with Pelosi and more to do with Dem/ GOP Senators/ Congressmen/women who have a significant Irish Catholic voting demographic. It's been made clear by both the Friends of Ireland and Irish National Caucus' that they would lobby strongly against any trade deal with the UK if we left via a no deal Brexit that did not include the back stop agreement. 20% of Americans describe their heritage as "Irish" (plastic paddies IMO) and these caucus' carry huge influence in both houses. That is before we get to the fact that Trump is a known liar that has zero interest in doing us any favours at all.

Batman if you don't believe that people will die as a result of checkpoints back on the border then good for you as you clearly know more than anyone I know in Belfast or Londonderry. I believe they will trigger shootings and worse, as do most NI experts. If you don't you can just say why rather than simply calling it "Project Fear". Cheers.

That's my 3 posts done for the day. Will let you lot get back to name calling and all that BS.

Behave, mate.

And this would be 5 weeks. Longest since 1945.

It's going to backfire very badly.

I own my own business (service sector) and trade a lot (70%) with the USA (and know enough about politics over there to know a trade deal is totally impossible with Pelosi leading Congress and the huge internal influence of Irish PAC's) and a decent chunk with EU (15% - the rest is UK and ROW). I asked about benefiting from tariffs because being open and honest I benefit from a weak pound (we trade in $US and convert to £).

So 85% of your business trades with countries with whom there are no trade deals??? And you're asking what the benefits are of no deal with the EU????

Conversely, 15% of your business is possibly going to be subject to tariffs. But if your service is superior to your EU counterparts, you should win through. If not, spend less time on here and focus on how your service can be best-of-breed. Just sayin....

(also, a further fall in the pound will probably offset the effect of tariffs)

Edited by Johnny Bognor

That would make sense if the general election was about the single issue of Brexit but it wasn't. Each MP has the duty to do what they think is best for their constituents, they didn't stand on a manifesto to make their constituents poorer so that has obviously come into conflict with the deal they ended up voting for so have had to make a choice. There was absolutely nothing undemocratic about voting against May's deal or no deal Brexit.

There is nothing undemocratic about a second referendum - if the British people still want to leave, a second vote cannot stop them.

I can't find the original post from Guided Missile but my responses to his points are below:

"For me the benefits of no deal are:

a) The prospect of saving £39 billion to spend on UK priorities rather than EU vanity projects and pensions.

b) We can then negotiate a free trade deal with the EU, without having given them our wallet

c) The elimination of the EU regulatory controls that have turned our Agricultural Sector into the Museum of Farming, allowing for the introduction of GM crops, with more land available for wildlife/amenity.

d) The ability of the country to immediately negotiate FTA's with the rest of the world.

e) Control of free movement

f) As far as Nancy Pelosi and her Irish voters, I think you overestimate her and their influence in the US. As soon as she got involved in Brexit, the Continuity IRA let off bombs in Northern Ireland, so I think she'll be keeping her comments to herself in future."

a) The fiscal benefits from the extra economic activity arising from being in the Single Market are around £20bn a year. This is significantly more than the £10bn or so that we pay now. There is no Brexit dividend, far from it.

b) No free trade deal with the EU will ever come close to replacing the Single Market and certainly wouldn't come without a cost. 'Free Trade Deals' are a fixation with some people who don't understand the basics of international trade. A few

percent here or there is insignificant when compared qwith the costs of doiing business.

c) Personally I am not in favour of GM crops. From what I have read our livestock industries are going to be decimated without their main markets.

d) We already benefit from over 60 FTAs courtesy of our membership of the EU. These will be cancelled when we leave. It is unlikely that we shall be able to obtain terms as favourable as the EU because we don't have the same 'clout'.

e) I agree that immigration needs to be brought under control but unfortunately the UK has never been interested in doing so. The means exist at the moment but have never been implemented. Any such controls must surely involve ID cards

and whilst I personally have nothing against them there is widespread opposition. The first thing May did on becoming Home Secretary was to cancel the scheme. Immigration from the REst of the World continues apace...

f) The Irish-American lobby in the US is very powerful at over 30m people. It is not to be underestimated.

Once again, thanks for at least outlining some reasons as top why you think that leaving the EU would bring some benefits. Personally I can only see good things from our membership with no downside and for the reasons I have given I cannot dee any opportunities. Certainly nothing over and above those that I have already.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

What an excellent way to demonstrate how we will be restoring the sovereignty of Parliament.

( And point 'd' in Whitey's post above is probably the single most important issue in considering the economic cost of Brexit ).

Edited by badgerx16

Batman if you don't believe that people will die as a result of checkpoints back on the border then good for you as you clearly know more than anyone I know in Belfast or Londonderry. I believe they will trigger shootings and worse, as do most NI experts. If you don't you can just say why rather than simply calling it "Project Fear". Cheers.

That's my 3 posts done for the day. Will let you lot get back to name calling and all that BS.

Things have changed in the US, regarding the Oirish. The IRA have long lost their charm since I lived there and was subjected to collections in Irish bars for the "Freedom Fighters". They are now simply seen as the terrorists they are. All you have to do is look at the Spanish demographics and their total lack of influence on Trump (Build the Wall). The Irish will go the same way. Oh and you do realise the UK will not be erecting any border controls. It will be the EU/Ireland.

So 85% of your business trades with countries with whom there are no trade deals??? And you're asking what the benefits are of no deal with the EU????

Conversely, 15% of your business is possibly going to be subject to tariffs. But if your service is superior to your EU counterparts, you should win through. If not, spend less time on here and focus on how your service can be best-of-breed. Just sayin....

(also, a further fall in the pound will probably offset the effect of tariffs)

There are no countries with whom we don't have a trade deal at the moment (except North Korea, but they don't count). Every other country in the worls has a trade agreement with somebody else. It used to be said that Mauritania was the only country that traded solely on WTO terms but even that is not the case. When we leave we shall have no agreements with anybody. Good luck with that.

However, tariffs have nothing to do with it. Neither does cost. It's all about the ease of doing business and that requires close and frequent contact with your customers.

How about this from The Leave Alliance 12th October 2017:

"A no deal Brexit is akin with performing separation surgery on conjoined twins with a hammer and chisel without anaesthetic, hoping that the weaker one will live."

http://leavehq.com/blogview.aspx?blogno=269

"A no deal Brexit is akin with performing separation surgery on conjoined twins with a hammer and chisel without anaesthetic, hoping that the weaker one will live."

Whitey, can you please bore off and take the rest of the losers with you? The adults have taken control now and you should sit down and behave.

There are no countries with whom we don't have a trade deal at the moment (except North Korea, but they don't count). Every other country in the worls has a trade agreement with somebody else. It used to be said that Mauritania was the only country that traded solely on WTO terms but even that is not the case. When we leave we shall have no agreements with anybody. Good luck with that.

However, tariffs have nothing to do with it. Neither does cost. It's all about the ease of doing business and that requires close and frequent contact with your customers.

Great quote!

Not to mention countries have hundreds of bilateral agreements that while not constituting a full FTA, tackle obstacles to trade in specific sectors or policy areas that are not covered by the WTO. The EU has 100+ bilateral agreements with the US alone.

Thanks, appreciate that. at least you provided some perceived benefits unlike Wes Tender who didn't offer a single one and instead decided to try and mock by business acumen and ability to change one's stance after 3 years. Nice guy who I'll be ignoring from now on.

Control of free movement is a good point and one of the reasons I was a leaver before. My feelings on this are still strong as believe our services are stretched to breaking point in certain areas. However if our economy/ society doesn't attract global talent to come and work for the NHS though we have a problem.

There you go, almost by accident it seems that you have recalled a reason why you voted to leave and admit that it's still a valid reason. Careful that the remoaner trolls on here don't label you a racist little Englander though. :lol:

Everybody who voted to leave had their own reasons and nothing can be calculated to annoy them more than to be told that there are no valid reasons for leaving, or that they didn't know what they were doing.

Whitey, can you please bore off and take the rest of the losers with you? The adults have taken control now and you should sit down and behave.

Do you see, you cannot come up with any reasoned arguments so you resort to the insults of the playground.

I am really, totally sickened that I live in a country that includes such puny intellects as yours.

Do you see, you cannot come up with any reasoned arguments so you resort to the insults of the playground.

I am really, totally sickened that I live in a country that includes such puny intellects as yours.

He's the second most famous graduate from pompey poly I'll let you know :lol:

If ever a post required a childish put down, it is this one. However, I cannot lower myself to your level in order to deliver it.

Apart from the name calling on here, what can anyone sensible come up with to get the nation back on track and trading normally again? We cannot stay in limbo and sadly pushing the nuclear option is the only way for the nation to move on it seems. We cannot rely on MP's as they are looking for their own agendas not really what is best for the nation. Having a 2nd referendum will just add more division. At the end of the day, the question was in or out and the majority said Out. If we believe in democracy then we should wave it through as much as we dislike it

Apart from the name calling on here, what can anyone sensible come up with to get the nation back on track and trading normally again? We cannot stay in limbo and sadly pushing the nuclear option is the only way for the nation to move on it seems. We cannot rely on MP's as they are looking for their own agendas not really what is best for the nation. Having a 2nd referendum will just add more division. At the end of the day, the question was in or out and the majority said Out. If we believe in democracy then we should wave it through as much as we dislike it

Jesus wept.

Yeah great idea. Lets all pretend everyone knew what they were voting for back in 2016 and just plough ahead with no deal regardless of how bad the outcome.

The country will be divided whatever happens, not sure how that stops the country working and trading as usual, just means there are a load of people moaning on twitter.

Democracy is the biggest lie of our generation mate....its like the word "free"

Yeah great idea. Lets all pretend everyone knew what they were voting for back in 2016 and just plough ahead with no deal regardless of how bad the outcome.

The country will be divided whatever happens, not sure how that stops the country working and trading as usual, just means there are a load of people moaning on twitter.

The question was In or Out. The majority voted for the Out.

'

Apart from the name calling on here, what can anyone sensible come up with to get the nation back on track and trading normally again? ' Tell us your plan then? Tell us how we can find a way out.

A great question, Nick. Shurlock as far as I'm aware, has never made any concrete suggestions as to how he thinks the situation should move on. Perhaps he would be good enough to elucidate his position on the path he believes we should follow and justify it. Or is it far easier to just say "Jesus wept" and attempt to appear intelligent by making out that everybody is a bit thick if they disagree with him?

A great question, Nick. Shurlock as far as I'm aware, has never made any concrete suggestions as to how he thinks the situation should move on. Perhaps he would be good enough to elucidate his position on the path he believes we should follow and justify it. Or is it far easier to just say "Jesus wept" and attempt to appear intelligent by making out that everybody is a bit thick if they disagree with him?

Now the opposition has seen the precipice, I would go back and revisit some of the indicative votes that came close to passing first time round. I suspect they would have the numbers now. And yes outside your scorched earth, spittle flecked understanding of Brexit, they would amount to leaving.

The question was In or Out. The majority voted for the Out.

Obviously, but it was never really clear what out meant. The logical thing to do would be make a decision when more facts are known.

It obvious why Brexiteers are terrified of a second referendum, and it is nothing to do with preserving democracy. It’s because they know they would lose.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction