• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

3 Years Later:

Wage growth in the UK reached an 11-year high in the year to June, and the employment rate was its joint highest since 1971, official figures show. Wage growth rose to 3.9%, while the estimated 76.1% employment rate was the best since comparative records began:

_108296264_optimised-real.wages-2019-aug-13-nc.png

Meanwhile, in Germany:

germanindustry_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqqVzuuqpFlyLIwiB6NTmJwfSVWeZ_vEN7c6bHu2jJnT8.PNG?imwidth=1240

So wages have still not reached the level of ten years ago and what has Germany got to do with us?

I don’t know what you thought these figures demonstrated nor what you were trying to prove.

So wages have still not reached the level of ten years ago and what has Germany got to do with us?

I don’t know what you thought these figures demonstrated nor what you were trying to prove.

Your post was made in 2016, Private Frazer and you, like everyone else, swallowed Project Fear hook, line and sinker....

I don’t know where to start with this except to say continue to plumb new depths in brain-addling thickness.

Productivity is only an important indicator if you’re a manufacturing-based economy like Germany. That’s a new one. Perhaps you should lecture the BoE, HM Treasury, the great and the good of academia why their single-minded obsession with it is misplaced.

:lol::lol::lol:

As for the rest of your post about trade wars and recessions it’s incomprehensible.

Mate, you have just confirmed you know squat. Of course productivity is a more important factor as a measure of the economy of a manufacturing based economy than a service based economy, unless you can share exactly how you accurately measure productivity in the service sector.

As far as the Treasury and the BoE, upon whose alters you worship, remind me of their forecasts of the employment data following a vote to leave the EU. You were obviously groomed during your economics degree to believe it's a science, but since pre-2008, the Treasury and BoE forecasts have been defined by being consistently wrong.

Now back on ignore for you. I gave you a chance but you obviously have $h!t for brains....

“Economists exist to make the weathermen look good”

nintchdbpict000292554267.jpg?w=620

Mate, you have just confirmed you know squat. Of course productivity is a more important factor as a measure of the economy of a manufacturing based economy than a service based economy, unless you can share exactly how you accurately measure productivity in the service sector.

As far as the Treasury and the BoE, upon whose alters you worship, remind me of their forecasts of the employment data following a vote to leave the EU. You were obviously groomed during your economics degree to believe it's a science, but since pre-2008, the Treasury and BoE forecasts have been defined by being consistently wrong.

Now back on ignore for you. I gave you a chance but you obviously have $h!t for brains....

Productivity of face palms has gone through the effing roof on this forum.

Treasury forecast prior to referendum in 2016:

A vote to leave would result in a recession, a spike in inflation and a rise in unemployment. The analysis shows that the economy would fall into recession with four quarters of negative growth. After two years, GDP would be around 3.6% lower in the shock scenario compared with a vote to remain. In this scenario, the analysis shows that the fall in the value of the pound would be around 12%, and unemployment would increase by around 500,000, with all regions experiencing a rise in the number of people out of work. The exchange-rate-driven increase in the price of imports would lead to a material increase in prices, with the CPI inflation rate higher by 2.3 percentage points after a year.

You don't know what productivity is, clearly.

Here's some help:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/productivity.asp

And here's a book for you:

https://www.worldofbooks.com/en-gb/books/peter-antonioni/economics-for-dummies/GOR004366934?keyword=&gclid=Cj0KCQjw4s7qBRCzARIsAImcAxY-K5nckSVJZmJ9V8Vclui8XJ8sEoWMdpy7qHpUdTzyp3WD80vyK10aAh4JEALw_wcB

OECD Germany - Economic forecast summary in 2016:

Economic growth is projected to remain solid, as a robust labour market and low oil prices underpin private consumption, while low interest rates and the housing needs of refugees boost residential investment. Business investment will strengthen somewhat, as capacity utilisation and employment rise. Demand for German exports in emerging market economies and euro area countries are expected to recover gradually.

He confuses ‘productivity’ with ‘production’.

True, they are both long words and sticking with them to the end requires extreme concentration;)

By dividing the German and UK economy into different sectors, there are certainly more problems for productivity measurement in the service sector than the manufacturing sector because it is more difficult to define what productivity is in the service sector compared to the manufacturing sector. For this reason, the measurement of productivity in more important in defining the manufacturing based German economy than the service based UK economy. To different people, productivity means different things, which is expressed in the different or even conflicting definitions and perceptions of productivity. Productivity measurement in service is difficult because it is hard to standardise the inputs and outputs which are highly heterogeneous

Businessmen realise that economists do not dispense any reliable information about things to come and that all that they provide is interpretation of statistical data referring to the past. For capitalists and entrepreneurs, economists’ opinions about the future count only as questionable conjectures. . . . business forecasting fails in the vain attempts to make the uncertainty of the future disappear and to deprive entrepreneurship of its inherently speculative character. In the end, what will make Britain great again is the entrepreneurs to be free to speculate and generate wealth, leaving the politicians and economists to continue to stare in the rear view mirror.

Edited by Guided Missile

By dividing the German and UK economy into different sectors, there are certainly more problems for productivity measurement in the service sector than the manufacturing sector because it is more difficult to define what productivity is in the service sector compared to the manufacturing sector. For this reason, the measurement of productivity in more important in defining the manufacturing based German economy than the service based UK economy. To different people, productivity means different things, which is expressed in the different or even conflicting definitions and perceptions of productivity. Productivity measurement in service is difficult because it is hard to standardise the inputs and outputs which are highly heterogeneous

Productivity = GDP / Man Hours

Makes no difference what industry you're in, you absolute plum.

In all your little graphs, articles etc, productivity is defined as the above. Just because you've got a different, **** definition, doesn't mean that every(any)one else uses it.

Labour productivity the most widely used and internationally accepted measure of productivity – output per hour worked?

Output might be measured in terms of sales or revenues (the value of goods and services produced), GVA (the value of goods and services produced minus the cost of inputs that are used up in production) or GDP (the sum of all the gross value added by all producers in the economy).

In other words, you can calculate output for any good or service that is bought and sold on the market (using current prices or deflated to a common year’s real value). The situation is different for government activities since there are no sales/prices to calculate output. But for businesses operating in private sector, things are relatively straightforward. Lest I’ve lost you, you do realise that service businesses sell stuff – for example I sell my consultancy wares to who’ll ever buy them. That’s no different from you flogging your EU-banned insecticide.

This isn’t to say that prices are always perfect as an output measure - for example price variation may embody differences in market power across firms rather than product or service quality differences in which case productivity will say less about how efficient a firm is and more about the state of market in which it operates. But that applies equally to service and manufacturing firms.

As for hours work, that should be self-explanatory – they’re all the hours you should be working instead of getting utterly destroyed on here :lol:

More detailed approaches will break this down further - for example by taking into account differences in workers’ educational attainment, skills and experience but the approach is same for manufacturing as it is for services.

Edited by shurlock

He's just an ordinary guy on the street sticking it to the elite.

And he seems to be having fantasies about teenage girls dying.

A thoroughly unpleasant waste of bones and flesh.

I agree totally...but it is going to get on our nerves listening to a 16 year old girl preaching to the world for the next 60 years. I saw some studies somewhere that the sun was in a cooling stage and we should be more concerned about a cooling period, apparently in the next 40 years we may well have another mini ice age. I tell you one thing we will be delighted to have fossil fuel to heat our homes up then

I agree totally...but it is going to get on our nerves listening to a 16 year old girl preaching to the world for the next 60 years. I saw some studies somewhere that the sun was in a cooling stage and we should be more concerned about a cooling period, apparently in the next 40 years we may well have another mini ice age. I tell you one thing we will be delighted to have fossil fuel to heat our homes up then

I find her nauseating.

So I switch off the TV and radio, save some electricity and know I'm doing my bit for the planet.

Edited by shurlock

She could indeed turn into the dullest woman ever, banging on about seals and stuff. :o

Whereas Banks has already demonstrated what he is.

Rather than the guy who has set himself up to make a fortune from shafting the poor, a scenario he is doing everything to create, thinly-disguised as some empire drivel, I'll put up with the foreign woman in the sandals woven from her own hair, hassling me about straws, thanks.

:)

Your post was made in 2016, Private Frazer and you, like everyone else, swallowed Project Fear hook, line and sinker....

And three years later our economy is sh1t. If you think we’re doing ok then you don’t realise what we could have had.

Cut out the childish, snidish comments and instead start looking at the world around you. That world is much bigger than a tiny corner of Hampshire.

No.

That’s not new Nick. Most climate scientists accept that we would be in a cool period or even starting a mini ice age by now if it weren’t for carbon emissions. The fact that the world is warming even as it should be cooling is more alarming not less

Sounds like you're just irritated that a 16 year old girl has a better grasp of climate science than you do.

That’s not new Nick. Most climate scientists accept that we would be in a cool period or even starting a mini ice age by now if it weren’t for carbon emissions. The fact that the world is warming even as it should be cooling is more alarming not less

You'd have to doubt the abilities of 'most climate scientists' who accept we could be starting a 'mini ice age' when we've been in an 'actual, full blown' ice age for the past two and a half million years!

You'd have to doubt the abilities of 'most climate scientists' who accept we could be starting a 'mini ice age' when we've been in an 'actual, full blown' ice age for the past two and a half million years!

Er...

The Laurentide Ice Sheet that covered Canada and a large part of North America retreated not much more than 10,000 years ago. We are at present in an interglacial period.

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Glacial_and_interglacial_periods

Er...

The Laurentide Ice Sheet that covered Canada and a large part of North America retreated not much more than 10,000 years ago. We are at present in an interglacial period.

https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Glacial_and_interglacial_periods

3 and out for me, so argue amongst yourselves :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternary_glaciation

The Quaternary glaciation, also known as the Pleistocene glaciation, is an alternating series of glacial and interglacial periods during the Quaternary period that began 2.58 Ma (million years ago), and is ongoing.[1][2][3] Although geologists describe the entire time period as an "ice age", in popular culture the term "ice age" is usually associated with just the most recent glacial period.[4] Since earth still has ice sheets, geologists consider the Quaternary glaciation to be ongoing, with earth now experiencing an interglacial period.

I'm happy to side with the 'Geologists' rather than 'popular culture' ;)

Er...

We are at present in an interglacial period.

Dont mean to be a d1ck, but an interglacial is phase within an ice age. An ice age is generally defined as having ice at both poles (which we may not soon).

Haven't read the rest, whats this got to do with Brexit? :)

Dont mean to be a d1ck, but an interglacial is phase within an ice age. An ice age is generally defined as having ice at both poles (which we may not soon).

Haven't read the rest, whats this got to do with Brexit? :)

Isn't that all a bit semantic? All I'm concerned about is whether or not my house gets wiped out by a mile-high glacier sometime soon.

Brexit or not we can be sure that if there is an ice age soon the Remainers will blame it on Brexit and the Leavers will blame it on the EU.

No doubt but carbon emissions are not responsible for the sun cooling period.

Sounds like you're just irritated that a 16 year old girl has a better grasp of climate science than you do.
Perhaps unlike you she may be able to explain the Medieval warming period and the mini ice age, we were spewing out carbon emissions in our cars then I assume.

I dont doubt we are responsible for some of the climate change but I would suggest nature/universe cycles has far more to do with it

Isn't that all a bit semantic? All I'm concerned about is whether or not my house gets wiped out by a mile-high glacier sometime soon.

Brexit or not we can be sure that if there is an ice age soon the Remainers will blame it on Brexit and the Leavers will blame it on the EU.

Quite right, apologies for my pedantry!

Perhaps unlike you she may be able to explain the Medieval warming period and the mini ice age, we were spewing out carbon emissions in our cars then I assume.

I dont doubt we are responsible for some of the climate change but I would suggest nature/universe cycles has far more to do with it

Maunder Minimum and Dalton Minimum. Both periods were a prolonged absence of sunspots. The number of Indian Ocean cyclones correlates strongly with the number of sunspots.

Have a look for Jasper Kirkby and what he says about sunspots and the price of corn (Benjamin Franklyn?)

But we are wandering away from Brexit...

You've just proved my point - your opinion is just based on ignorance of the science. I'm not surprised Greta Thunberg gets up your nose, no one likes to be shown up by a 16 year old girl.

, no one likes to be shown up by a 16 year old girl.

No you haven’t shown me up. You certainly are as hysterical. As for scientists they are not always right, in the 1970’s I questioned a professor at Southampton University that there may be more elements, he scoffed at my idea and said all that could be possibly be there had been found. Since then more than one has been discovered. So I don’t always agree that they know it all.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction