• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Oh dear, is it one of those schools where your parents would be very disappointed if you ended up a Poly?

Possibly, but both my brother and I went to Uni, ( me to Wales, him to Cambridge ), so our parents seemed happy. It was bit strange being referred to as 'senior' and my brother 'junior', and having teachers who had been at the school with our father, and indeed one who had taught, ( and remembered ), him.

Edited by badgerx16

Because the opposition are engineering a situation where it's impossible for us to leave on that date (assuming the EU grant another extension, which they're almost certain to do). They've voted to refuse to leave without a deal and look like they'll refuse to vote for an election to decide one way or the other before the 31st.

Why is it impossible? Do a deal and leave. Unless of course he's just posturing

Its a bit more complicated pal. If you've followed the primaries closely (obviously you haven't), you'll have noted that there has been hardening on both sides against free trade.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e3451d6-37a7-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html#axzz4CmlHTiTJ

"Free trade will not have an ally in the White House next year"

The primaries (and caucuses) don't begin until next February.

Gentlemen, please, from the horse's mouth;

Wow, just wow.

His contributions to this thread are the greatest advert to a state education that I've seen.

It also gives an insight into his insecurities around getting things consistently wrong, as I bet he's spent his whole life with the disappointment of his parents ringing in his ears.

I fear we are fellow alumni. :mcinnes:

Misselbrook, Roger Helmer - what the f**k do they put in the maxpax machine. I guess it’s not all bad: there’s your esteemed self, Ian Dunt (iirc) and former conservative patriot and rebel Stephen Hammond among others.

Edited by shurlock

Misselbrook, Roger Helmer - what the f**k do they put in the maxpax machine. I guess it’s not all bad: there’s your esteemed self, Ian Dunt (iirc) and former conservative patriot and rebel Stephen Hammond among others.

And a couple of cricketers.

Isaac Watts.

Craig David.

New plan from Boris and the gang. I mean he could actually try to re-negotiate the deal and do some hard graft but apparently just being a **** seems like a better idea.

Boris Johnson is threatening to sabotage the EU to make it cave in on a Brexit deal – or reject MPs’ plan to stop the UK crashing out of the bloc.

In a dramatic escalation of its battle with Brussels, Downing Street believes it has devised a way out of the crisis to make the EU no longer “legally constituted”, paralysing its decision-making.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/brexit/boris-johnson-plotting-scheme-to-render-eu-no-longer-legal-in-desperate-bid-to-escape-brexit-trap/ar-AAGXla1?ocid=spartandhp

Of course the swivels will lap it up seems like cutting of our nose to spite our face in the future dealing with the EU to me.

New plan from Boris and the gang. I mean he could actually try to re-negotiate the deal and do some hard graft but apparently just being a **** seems like a better idea.

You do realise that actually 're-negotiating' a deal isn't actually possible?

Boris has already stated that in his vision of Brexit there is no border in Northern Ireland whereas the EU has stated that there will have to be a hard border. Neither side are going to change their stance unless something drastic happens so negotiation seems more pointless than a chocolate tea pot. Boris is happy to leave with no deal and watch the EU force a border on Ireland so he can then blame the EU for any resulting troubles that may or may not arise as a result....

Boris has already stated that in his vision of Brexit there is no border in Northern Ireland whereas the EU has stated that there will have to be a hard border. Neither side are going to change their stance unless something drastic happens so negotiation seems more pointless than a chocolate tea pot. Boris is happy to leave with no deal and watch the EU force a border on Ireland so he can then blame the EU for any resulting troubles that may or may not arise as a result....

I still don't entirely get this. Boris wants to keep a completely open border with Europe? Is that what his supporters really want? Free movement of people and goods with no checks on the border? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really can't get my head around how it fits with Brexit.

I still don't entirely get this. Boris wants to keep a completely open border with Europe? Is that what his supporters really want? Free movement of people and goods with no checks on the border? I'm not trying to be obtuse, I really can't get my head around how it fits with Brexit.

That's because it doesn't. It's something we've argued ad infinitum on this thread, and not once have we heard a sensible plan from the Brexiteers in regards to Ireland.

The reason is, there is no solution at the moment apart from the backstop.

Can one of the people who want to leave on 31 October whatever the situation tell me about this? I'm not looking to argue, I teach Norwegian students who have to research and look into Brexit and other current affairs. I can explain to them what the objections to the backstop are, I can explain the problems of a hard border, but they all ask what the no deal supporters want to do and what will happen. When the answer seems to involve keeping a border open and unchecked for goods and people coming in, they find it utterly confusing and I have no answers.

Are you happy with an unchecked border in the UK that people can just enter through with no immigration or other control? Am I missing something about where the controls will be? Is this what you would choose rather than more discussion and negotiation to work out a solution?

Can one of the people who want to leave on 31 October whatever the situation tell me about this? I'm not looking to argue, I teach Norwegian students who have to research and look into Brexit and other current affairs. I can explain to them what the objections to the backstop are, I can explain the problems of a hard border, but they all ask what the no deal supporters want to do and what will happen. When the answer seems to involve keeping a border open and unchecked for goods and people coming in, they find it utterly confusing and I have no answers.

Are you happy with an unchecked border in the UK that people can just enter through with no immigration or other control? Am I missing something about where the controls will be? Is this what you would choose rather than more discussion and negotiation to work out a solution?

At present I think that the UK Government is positioning itself to keep an open border, knowing that this is unacceptable to the EU, and in the expectation that those nasty Europeans would then be forced to implement border checks, and therefore be responsible for any problems arising.

Don’t expect any answers. All they know is they voted for it, so whatever it is, it has to happen.

Any trouble will be on our head, we're the ****ing idiots who voted for it. Well some of us anyway.

As has been said continuously on this thread, a true 'Brexit' can NEVER happen because of Ireland. Which I find quite ironic and particularly funny.

At present I think that the UK Government is positioning itself to keep an open border, knowing that this is unacceptable to the EU, and in the expectation that those nasty Europeans would then be forced to implement border checks, and therefore be responsible for any problems arising.

Are you pro- no deal? How do you feel about an open unchecked border? Doesn't that mean the government is going back on the whole spirit of Brexit? Or with a hard border, how do you feel about re-igniting the Irish issue that took so many years and so much effort to pacify?

Are you pro- no deal?

In no way, I'd prefer to wake up from this nightmare and find us still safely within the European family. However, I am a pragmatist and if the vote was to leave, we shold have simply left, no matter how big a mistake I feel the whole thing is. The Irish border would have very quickly seen border posts set up on the major routes, and the 'bad old' ways of smuggling across the majority of it would have returned.

How well does tthe border between Norway and Sweden work ?

Edited by badgerx16

How well does tthe border between Norway and Sweden work ?

It's very smooth flowing in my experience. I've never been stopped or checked crossing it. You just drive right through. There is, of course, a checkpoint and border security, but Norway is in Schengen, so passport checks are a rarity. The closest I've come to a check was when I arrived in Oslo by coach from Gothenburg. A customs officer approached me as I walked away from the coach. Obviously it was pretty pointless and ineffective, as he had no way of knowing where I had come from.

So according to Sajid Javid the Government will 'obey all laws', but will not ask for a Brexit extension, even if the Benn bill, which could compel them to do so, is passed into Law.
I think they believe they can get the EU to refuse an extension.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I think that is indeed their new 'cunning plan', though whether it's as cunning as my socks I have no idea.
Along with saying we have to get this done, implying that we'll all feel better once it's over and trying to distract attention from the appallingly bad thing that's being done to save the Tory Party.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

really? was that the same interview where he said he would rather die in a ditch than obey that law?

Sajid Javid was tying himself up in knots on the Andrew Marr show saying that they would obey the law that compels them to ask for an extension but that they wouldn't ask for an extension.

Appropriate logic for these strange times.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction