• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Finally please put to bed the dopey myth that it’s uncertainty rather than Brexit that’s harming the economy. Uncertainty doesn’t help but it’s a second order issue. Why do you think the pound jumped when the Benn Act was passed or the Supreme Court deemed the prorogation of parliament illegal. Both these events substantially increased uncertainty but the markets responded favourably to them since they made a hard Brexit less likely: it doesn’t take a genius to work out what the markets perceive the real danger to be...

It seems to me that you are a civil servant or the like with an inflation proof or index linked pension and you dont worry how long this takes. Very much like the MPS.

I can only take my opinion from it where I sit with customers and contacts in other different trades who chat with me and give their thoughts on the situation. The City and markets are totally different as obviously they want to stay in the EU and so react accordingly.

I would be delighted if this nightmare had never happened, but we are here and now therefore every week we fanny about, the more of our vital business and services bleed away into Europe. That means the nation earnings are reduced.

Is there a deal that suits all, are there many people who actually know what the real picture is? You obviously think you do and so have a self assured arrogance that you know it all and we are heading for doom. I admire that in you as you have all the answers and well informed, but beware being dismissive is always a dangerous position to be in as you get caught out in the end.

Realistically how many more years can we keep this saga going on as each side to and fro trying to score points? Im just a normal person who wants whats best for the nation and hopefully we stay wealthy enough to recover. I meet some quite wealthy and well connected individuals who like me are sick of it and also are of the same opinion, we must make a decision and move on.

It seems to me that you are a civil servant or the like with an inflation proof or index linked pension and you dont worry how long this takes. Very much like the MPS.

I can only take my opinion from it where I sit with customers and contacts in other different trades who chat with me and give their thoughts on the situation. The City and markets are totally different as obviously they want to stay in the EU and so react accordingly.

I would be delighted if this nightmare had never happened, but we are here and now therefore every week we fanny about, the more of our vital business and services bleed away into Europe. That means the nation earnings are reduced.

Is there a deal that suits all, are there many people who actually know what the real picture is? You obviously think you do and so have a self assured arrogance that you know it all and we are heading for doom. I admire that in you as you have all the answers and well informed, but beware being dismissive is always a dangerous position to be in as you get caught out in the end.

Realistically how many more years can we keep this saga going on as each side to and fro trying to score points? Im just a normal person who wants whats best for the nation and hopefully we stay wealthy enough to recover. I meet some quite wealthy and well connected individuals who like me are sick of it and also are of the same opinion, we must make a decision and move on.

No, just getting out for the sake of it is the worst decision you could possibly make. Whatever your views we must agree a trading relationship with the EU eventually but in the meantime our country's livelihoods will be haemorrhaging away.

Getting out of the EU will not be the end of Brexit, just the beginning.

No, just getting out for the sake of it is the worst decision you could possibly make. Whatever your views we must agree a trading relationship with the EU eventually but in the meantime our country's livelihoods will be haemorrhaging away.

Getting out of the EU will not be the end of Brexit, just the beginning.

Bloody hell Whitey, yes I know that and never questioned it,but to most in the street once we have 'left'the rest of the talk in the main will be inthe background for the following 2 years not front page day in day out.

Bloody hell Whitey, yes I know that and never questioned it,but to most in the street once we have 'left'the rest of the talk in the main will be inthe background for the following 2 years not front page day in day out.

Good, glad we cleared that up :)

Does it matter if it is front page or not? All that matters is getting the right result.

Only my opinion but you better prepare to be disappointed if you think Brexit talk will disappear once we're out. It'll be centre stage and we'll all become experts on the various aspects of trade deals.

....,but to most in the street once we have 'left'the rest of the talk in the main will be inthe background for the following 2 years not front page day in day out.

It will be a ready made front page excuse/scapegoat for the slighest bit of adverse financial news, or the reason/justification for any slight glint of positive indicators.

A slight correction:

1. Get rid of the traitors in the party
  2. Replace sheep in wolves clothing with loyal Conservatives
  3. Unify the party
  4. Go to the EU with a freedom charter
  5. Taunt a divided Marxist dominated Labour, joke of a party during the run up
  6. Call an election
  7. Message: The People vs Parliament
  8. Arrange a deal with Nigel
  9. Win a substantial majority
  10. Watch Corbyn, Labour and the EU project sink without a trace

Like I said, playing a blinder.

....meanwhile

1570790209051_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

1570789606236_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

11. Brexiteers on here pretend that the lipstick on a pig new deal is the one they wanted all along, even though it was the worst deal in history a year ago and is not the no deal they've all been harping on about for the last 24 months (since they knew no deal was a thing).

Only my opinion but you better prepare to be disappointed if you think Brexit talk will disappear once we're out. It'll be centre stage and we'll all become experts on the various aspects of trade deals.
It maybe on the news but not invading our thoughts 24/7. Brexit will be used as the reason for any woes to beat the government with for decades. It used to be the EU but now that will be reversed.

My point was though that we have Brexit fatigue and that if we are not careful we will put ourselves into recession by the indecision of the people at Parliament

A slight correction:

1. Get rid of the traitors in the party
  2. Replace sheep in wolves clothing with loyal Conservatives
  3. Unify the party
  4. Go to the EU with a freedom charter
  5. Taunt a divided Marxist dominated Labour, joke of a party during the run up
  6. Call an election
  7. Message: The People vs Parliament
  8. Arrange a deal with Nigel
  9. Win a substantial majority
  10. Watch Corbyn, Labour and the EU project sink without a trace

Like I said, playing a blinder.

....meanwhile

1570790209051_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

1570789606236_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

Meanwhile...

1571151920162_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

Herbert's taking a pounding....:lol:

Meanwhile...

1571151920162_lc_galleryImage_.JPG

Herbert's taking a pounding....:lol:

Sold my holdings and took my profits several weeks ago pal just after the Benn Act passed. That the pound has been rising since only bears out my analysis (not as if took much foresight).

Might go back in once the draft WA is published and I examine the odds of it securing a parliamentary majority.

#smartmoney

Edited by shurlock

I expect Boris will get a deal, it will be pretty much identical to May’s but he will announce it as the best deal ever knowing full well it won’t get through Parliament. Then he can carry on this ‘people v Parliament’ bullish!t through to the inevitable election.

This whole circus is just all about saving the Tory party.

So is Boris about to sign up to a deal that is remarkably similar to the proposal that caused him to resign from Theresa May's government 18 months ago?

Wasn’t that over the UK-wide backstop as opposed to the NI-only backstop? The NI-only backstop was originally proposed by the EU and was always it’s first preference but was rejected by May for threatening the constitutional integrity of the UK (not to mention her working majority in Parliament) and effectively annexing NI in the words of the swivels. Sounds like we’re returning to that. The unresolved issue (at least compared to what was leaked over the weekend) is how much the UK has conceded on its double customs plan (which legally means that NI is part of the UK’s customs union but effectively keeps NI in the EU’s custom area) given its complexity. On the other hand, the divorce bill, citizens rights and transitional arrangement all appear to be the same as May’s deal.

Edited by shurlock

Wasn’t that over the UK-wide backstop as opposed to the NI-only backstop? The NI-only backstop was originally proposed by the EU and was always it’s first preference but was rejected by May for threatening the constitutional integrity of the UK (not to mention her working majority in Parliament) and effectively annexing NI in the words of the swivels. Sounds like we’re returning to that. The unresolved issue (at least compared to what was leaked over the weekend) is how much the UK has conceded on its double customs plan (which effectively keeps NI in the EU’s custom area) but is fiendishly difficult to operate. On the other hand, the divorce bill, citizens rights and transitional arrangement all appear to be the same as May’s deal.
Yes, you're right. We could be signing up to a deal very similar to something rejected by Remainer-in-chief gutless dreadful negotiator Theresa May.

We're really sticking it to Johnny Foreigner now.

So is Boris about to sign up to a deal that is remarkably similar to the proposal that caused him to resign from Theresa May's government 18 months ago?

Is it similar or is it even more of a surrender as it overrides May's red line of no border in the Irish Sea?

Is it similar or is it even more of a surrender as it overrides May's red line of no border in the Irish Sea?

Some would claim its more of a surrender; others would say f**k NI (and Scotland who’ll be taking notes)-at least, it allows the UK to have an independent trade policy without having to come up with an alternative to replace the UK-wide backstop. Of course, the scope of that independent trade policy will be heavily circumscribed when the EU and UK negotiate a FTA and the EU insists on all kinds of level playing field conditions. In the meantime, the UK will need to pony up billions for the divorce bill and remain in the EU’s transitional arrangements (that includes the CU and SM with zero say in their administration).

Edited by shurlock

Some would claim its more of a surrender; others would say f**k NI (and Scotland who’ll be taking notes)-at least, it allows the UK to have an independent trade policy without having to come up with an alternative to replace the UK-wide backstop. Of course, the scope of that independent trade policy will be heavily circumscribed when the EU and UK negotiate a FTA and the EU insists on all kinds of level playing field conditions. In the meantime, the UK will need to pony up billions for the divorce bill and remain in the EU’s transitional arrangements (that includes the CU and SM with zero say in their administration).
In other words, it's far worse than Remain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

In other words, it's far worse than Remain.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh yeh I forgot to add that under the rebate system being discussed to manage the double customs area, you, me and every other taxpayer will be effectively subsidising the EU. That’s because NI importers will be paying EU tariffs under the plan (money collected and sent to the EU) but where UK trade policy involves lower tariffs on imports from third countries than the EU’s we will rebate NI businesses the difference.

Donald Tusk declared there to be a “special place in hell” for the leaders of the Leave campaign in the UK and apparently a special place in prison for the leaders of the Leave campaign in Catalonia.

Welcome to the oppression of democracy in the EU. It seems to have infected a number of British politicians as well. On the bright side, maybe Sturgeon and Blackford will soon be banged up....

But these conditions only relate to the 11% of companies who export to the EU. Leaving the other 89% to become more competitive on the global stage.

Currently, 100% of UK businesses have to comply with rules, whilst only 11% benefit from exporting to the EU

But these conditions only relate to the 11% of companies who export to the EU. Leaving the other 89% to become more competitive on the global stage.

Currently, 100% of UK businesses have to comply with rules, whilst only 11% benefit from exporting to the EU

Wouldn't that also apply to any rules or regulations we have to introduce under any future FTA, eg with the USA ?

Nope. They would apply to all organisations. By definition, any organisation exporting to another market already has to comply with that market’s rules and regulations. The EU will be pushing that the UK as a whole aligns its regulations with the EU in key areas as the price of access.

Edited by shurlock

You've been reading 'Statistics for Dummies' again. These percentages are meaningless in isolation. Of the 11% who export to the Eu how much of their activity involves companies who don't? Of the 89% who don't, how much of their activity involves purchaes from the EU?

And again, just quoting a percentage of companies doesn't reflect the size of those companies nor the number of people that they support, either dirctly or indirectly.

What makes you think that any comnpany can become 'more competitive on the global stage' just because it is no longer operating within the ecosphere of the Single Market? What would they be able to do in the future that they can't do now?

So the DUP says they cannot support Boris's new plan. Will that matter is he really counting on their votes in the HoCs? Or will enough MPs get behind his deal?

DUP 'cannot support' Brexit deal as Johnson heads to Brussels https://a.msn.com/r/2/AAIUqNa?m=en-gb&referrerID=InAppShare

The DUP has issued a statement fromArlene Foster and Nigel Dodds saying that

“as things stand, we could not support what is being suggested on customs and consent issues and there is a lack of clarity on VAT.

“We will continue to work with the Government to try and get a sensible deal that works for Northern Ireland and protects the economic and constitutional integrity of the United Kingdom.”

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Edited by doddisalegend

From King Edwards to Pompey Poly - his parents must have been so disappointed in him.
as an aside did you go to KE school? I wasnt bright enough but with your sneering you must have made Eton or Oxbridge unis. I didnt even go to University and so am just a proll but I have done my best to achieve something in life.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction