• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Wasn't it set by the last extension we requested from the EU?

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It was basically decided by Macron, who vetoed the European Council's plan A which was to extend to the end of the year.

So we are working to a deadline defined by the French #sovereignty

Boris playing an absolute blinder...

You mean in attempting to pass the EU’s preferred deal? A deal that May and Johnson previously said that they could never accept since it was an existential threat to the Union.

Seriously, take a break pal, politics isn’t your thing.

As an aside, what an absurd system this is. People trundling in and out of a room. ****ing retarded in this age and a massive waste of time.

It’s bat-shyt crazy, isn’t it

Government have to pause the brexit process for a short while

Johnson has lost his grasp on reality. He's still maintaining we'll now leave on Oct 31 with no deal.

Having got agreement in principle, he's taken his bat home because he can't cope with not being able to dictate totally the terms of the deal. A sane approach now would be to accept a longer timetable, respect any amendments and still proceed to a deal, even accepting one to be ratified by a referendum. But we're in the grip of dictatorial politics.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Johnson has lost his grasp on reality. He's still maintaining we'll now leave on Oct 31 with no deal.

Having got agreement in principle, he's taken his bat home because he can't cope with not being able to dictate totally the terms of the deal. A sane approach now would be to accept a longer timetable, respect any amendments and still proceed to a deal, even accepting one to be ratified by a referendum. But we're in the grip of dictatorial politics.

He has had no choice but to pause. Even the obnoxious Bercow had to explain this to the ‘house’

This is thanks to a bill passed when Labour was in power, something about not being allowed to proceed if a time table is not agreed.

As you mention dictatorship. Twice his opponents have denied a general election.... weird dictatorship that!

from Boris's Eton school report

“Boris really has adopted a disgracefully cavalier attitude to his classical studies . . . Boris sometimes seems affronted when criticised for what amounts to a gross failure of responsibility (and surprised at the same time that he was not appointed Captain of the School for next half): I think he honestly believes that it is churlish of us not to regard him as an exception, one who should be free of the network of obligation which binds everyone else.”

He has had no choice but to pause. Even the obnoxious Bercow had to explain this to the ‘house’

This is thanks to a bill passed when Labour was in power, something about not being allowed to proceed if a time table is not agreed.

As you mention dictatorship. Twice his opponents have denied a general election.... weird dictatorship that!

It is a dictatorship, he's just not very good at it.

Strange. He has no majority and has offered an election twice.

The weirdest definition of a dictatorship and an insult to the real ones lol

Odds on parliament turning down a GE a 3rd time?

Apparently the SNP are now all for it as they have disrupted enough and the timings mean getting a GE in before a potentially damaging court case in the new year

So, is the most likely scenario an extension to Jan 31st, and a GE before Christmas ?

If Corbyn is savvy he'll delay until the Johnson halo effect wears off. Mind you if he was savvy and altruistic he would have resigned already and handed over to somebody who is electable.

Corbyn is a honest man with principles, but he's also blinded by his ideals and this makes him a stubborn fool.

Boris is a selfish toad who is about as trustworthy as a condom made out of perforated tissue paper.

Anyone who believes that he actually wants to leave with a deal is completely ignoring that if we do, all of his wealthy allies will be forced to disclose their tax avoidance methods under the financial scrutiny acts passed by Europe that kick in next year. This will lose him a lot of his support in his party.

At the moment, he's doing everything he can to try to force a no deal, then blame parliament by saying his withdrawal agreement would have prevented it. This way he can deflect the blame for the resulting chaos onto the opposition for not voting his clearly wonky legislation through.

The only people who would blame him are the same people who wouldn't vote for him anyway.

Again, if you believe the polls (which I do not)

Tory support amongst the traditional working class has grown to 17% ahead of labour. What universe does that happen?

Again, if you believe the polls (which I do not)

Tory support amongst the traditional working class has grown to 17% ahead of labour. What universe does that happen?

A universe where corbyn is literally the worst abd a town full of working class people cheer for people like farage and Ann Widdecombe.

Yes but my point is why would he give a toss about then if they were never going to vote tory in the first place.

Tell that to the sizable one-nation Tory wing of the party represented by the likes of Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve. There are plenty of moderate, traditionally leaning Tories who have fallen out of love with the Conservative Party and its direction under Johnson (and what he represents). You might want to reassess your point.

Edited by shurlock

Tell that to the sizable one-nation Tory wing of the party represented by the likes of Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve. There are plenty of moderate, traditionally leaning Tories who have fallen out of love with the Conservative Party and its direction under him (and what he represents). You might want to reassess your point.
I said that no one who is going to vote tory is going to blame Johnson for Parliament mandating an extension, not that Johnson's overall stance wouldn't put sone off voting for him. Politics is becoming increasingly polarised on leave and remain lines rather than traditional left and right.

I said that no one who is going to vote tory is going to blame Johnson for Parliament mandating an extension, not that Johnson's overall stance wouldn't put sone off voting for him. Politics is becoming increasingly polarised on leave and remain lines rather than traditional left and right.

Les doesn’t seem too pleased by Johnson.

Tell that to the sizable one-nation Tory wing of the party represented by the likes of Ken Clarke and Dominic Grieve. There are plenty of moderate, traditionally leaning Tories who have fallen out of love with the Conservative Party and its direction under Johnson (and what he represents). You might want to reassess your point.

*Raises Hand*

Who cares?

Because if you look on social media and the comment pages of the Mail and Telegraph, there are many people like Les.

This is not surprising: during the leadership contest, Rory Stewart repeatedly warned Johnson (and others) that a cast-iron promise to take us out by October 31 would simply not be credible because of Parliament. Yet Johnson dismissed this and persisted in his claim that we would be out do or die, no ifs or buts. No wonder that having raised expectations, some (though clearly not all) have chosen to hold him to his word.

I can't believe we're going to have a general election. We risk having a sh!t Brexit forced on us by our our outdated and inept FPTP voting system.

Out of the EU under Boris Johnson or in it under Jeremy Corbyn - it's like a choice between syphilis and gonorrhoea.

Hopefully all those who keep banging on about democracy will also bang on for the need for the people to have a say on the deal.

Boris and Cummings are playing a blinder. If Steptoe and his band of traitors win a no-confidence vote, it's the People vs the Marxists. This will result in a landslide win for the Conservative/Brexit party, with the total annihilation of Labour, the Remainers and a no deal Brexit. Lose the no confidence vote and we're out with a no deal Brexit.

Win-win... :smug:

Game, set and match:

EDD9qAyWsAA5VJY?format=jpg&name=small

To revisit this as well, it appears to me that this will be the "deal" that get's us out of the EU on the 31st October. That is, use GATT Article XXIV. 5b to be exact, which states:

As todays article in the Torygraph states:

In Andrew Neil's interview with Boris Johnson, Neil (and Whitehall) claimed that:

So, job done....

Even Lorand Bartels agrees here:

Good news this morning, with Barnier saying that the EU will not axe the backstop. A clean WTO Brexit becomes ever more likely. I was growing worried that Boris would have us accepting the rest of the Withdrawal Agreement, the epitome of the bad deal that isn't as good as no deal.

Yes that's exactly what I voted for and want, and have wanted since Maastricht. As for your opinion on the aftermath, it is verging on the hysterical, based on no particular evidence, just pure conjecture, so I find it rather funny. You're almost a parody of Fraser from Dad's Army. :lol:

BoJo's playing a blinder. No deal brexit, get rid of the Lib Dem infestation and greatly increase the Conservative majority at the next GE. A free trade agreement with the US, the EU on the back foot and the dream of the opening post on this thread, comes true.

I love this country...

Boris continues to play a blinder. Gets rid of the Lib Dem infestation in one day and calls a GE the next day. Follows that up with no deal and a pact with the Brexit party and Corbyn is toast and the Conservatives have a 50 seat majority. I love it...

My prediction for today:

The government tables a short bill which sets aside the provisions of the FTPA to allow an election on a specific date. This bill would only require a simple majority to pass.

Boris has played a blinder, but a totally biased Speaker has gone against constitutional protocol to favour the remain side. Corbyn now looks like an idiot for constantly calling for a GE and now when he is asked to vote for one, he chickens out. As for the rest of your post, you really do have no idea, believing that the Tory Party should morph into the Lib Dumbs. As for the Churchill's grandson bit, I don't give a toss. The bloke voted with Labour to defeat his own government and it was made clear to him what the consequences would be. He is not standing in the forthcoming GE anyway. Speaking of prominent Parliamentarian's offspring, Wedgie Benn must be rolling over in his grave for what his son did.

The government tables a short bill which sets aside the provisions of the FTPA to allow an election on a specific date. This bill would only require a simple majority to pass. :lol:

But there are upsides. Gina Miller and Major lost their court case against Boris proroguing Parliament and are going to waste even more of Soris' money by appealing.

And Robert Mugade, one of the World's biggest tyrants is dead.

So reasons to be happy.

Regarding Letts' tweet, I hadn't read it, but having done so, I suspect that most who responded don't get the tongue in cheek heavy irony.

As for the vexatious constitutional litigant Miller, perhaps she should have employed you to consult her rather than her legal council. They seem to be a grossly incompetent lot. Thankfully when it comes down to ruling on Constitutional procedure the judiciary aren't as cavalier as Bercow is in interpreting it.

How's it going lads? Predictions going well?

Hopefully all those who keep banging on about democracy will also bang on for the need for the people to have a say on the deal.

Hopefully the EU will agree to a delay only on condition of a second referendum.

Surly they want this settled once and for all, extending for a GE which might make the situation harder to be resolved seems an odd thing to do.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction