View Poll Results: Saints Web Definitely Not Official Second Referendum

Voters
158. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave Before - Leave Now

    35 22.15%
  • Leave Before - Remain Now

    8 5.06%
  • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now

    2 1.27%
  • Remain Before - Remain Now

    88 55.70%
  • Remain Before - Leave Now

    6 3.80%
  • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now

    0 0%
  • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now

    3 1.90%
  • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now

    4 2.53%
  • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?

    2 1.27%
  • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

    10 6.33%
Page 319 of 327 FirstFirst ... 219269309317318319320321 ... LastLast
Results 15,901 to 15,950 of 16334

Thread: Brexit - Enter at Your Own Risk

  1. #15901

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    The older that you are the more likely that you are to vote out. The younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree.
    True but doesn't change the fact that poorly educated people are more likely to be Brexiteers than well educated people of the same age.

  2. #15902

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    As an 'older' person with a degree, I am proud to be an exception.
    Me too. two exceptions

  3. #15903

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    The older that you are the more likely that you are to vote out. The younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree.
    The older you are, the more likely you are to own your own home, the younger you are, the more likely you are to own a football - is a comparison that is equally as pointless....

  4. #15904

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    The older you are, the more likely you are to own your own home, the younger you are, the more likely you are to own a football - is a comparison that is equally as pointless....


    I don't think you've understood the point, little westie. Other things being equal, the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote remain.
    Last edited by shurlock; 02-02-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: the important bit in italics

  5. #15905

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sergei Gotsmanov View Post
    The older that you are the more likely that you are to vote out. The younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree.
    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    After controlling for age, it’s still the case that the more educated you were, the more likely you were to vote remain. So not sure what point Sergei was trying to make.

    I don't think you've understood the point, little westie. Other things being equal, the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote remain.[/QUOTE]

    By your own admission, neither have you!

    Technically, Sergei made two points, let me highlight them for you so you can understand.

    Point 1 is that Older people are (were) more likely to vote leave.

    Point 2 is that younger people are more likely to have a degree.

    Those two things points (in Sergie's post) are not intrinsically linked and there is absolutely no way you can extrapolate that the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote leave from what he wrote, not without making a huge assumption or pretending to be cleverer than everyone else.

    You'd be better off sticking to failing investment funds as that seems to be the only area where you have any success.

  6. #15906

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post

    Those two things points (in Sergie's post) are not intrinsically linked and there is absolutely no way you can extrapolate that the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote leave from what he wrote, not without making a huge assumption or pretending to be cleverer than everyone else.

    You'd be better off sticking to failing investment funds as that seems to be the only area where you have any success.
    He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another. They are to some extent but not to the extent implied by Sergei. Taking Sergei's point to an extreme, it suggests that one variable (or the other) has little independent explanatory power. This is not borne out by the data. Both age and education have independent explanatory power (and its not hard to hypothesise why that's the case). If anything, the effect of education is more important than age on the decision to vote remain/leave. When you can show that this is also true of owning a football (or any other spurious association), you might have a point. Otherwise carry on talking gibberish little fella.
    Last edited by shurlock; 02-02-2020 at 12:35 PM.

  7. #15907

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another. They are but not to the degree suggested by Sergei. Taken to an extreme, it suggests that one variable (or the other) has little independent explanatory power. This is not borne out by the data. Keep up.
    Not the way he wrote the post he wasn't. Keep up pal.

    For someone who was such an advocate of grammar the other day regarding the Oxford comma, you seem to have completed ignored the full stop seperating both of his points. It is only your assumption that he was linking the two points - you've even admitted you didn't understand his point but now you seem to be quite contrary!

    Which one is it, did you understand his point or not?

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurlock
    After controlling for age, it’s still the case that the more educated you were, the more likely you were to vote remain. So not sure what point Sergei was trying to make.

  8. #15908

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Not the way he wrote the post he wasn't. Keep up pal.

    For someone who was such an advocate of grammar the other day regarding the Oxford comma, you seem to have completed ignored the full stop seperating both of his points. It is only your assumption that he was linking the two points - you've even admitted you didn't understand his point but now you seem to be quite contrary!

    Which one is it, did you understand his point or not?
    Its not clear what point he's trying to make: are age and education extremely correlated with one another (and thus pretty redundant)? Or despite a degree of correlation, does each nonetheless have independent explanatory power? The evidence points to the latter.

    Did I make a point about the Oxford comma? You're getting confused and flustered pal.
    Last edited by shurlock; 02-02-2020 at 10:58 AM.

  9. #15909

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    After controlling for age, it’s still the case that the more educated you were, the more likely you were to vote remain. So not sure what point Sergei was trying to make.
    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    He was suggesting that age and education level are highly correlated with one another.
    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Its not clear what point he's trying to make:

    You're getting confused and flustered pal.
    So, you don't know, then you do know, then you don't know once more!

    Seems there's only one person who's confused and flustered

  10. Default

    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #15911

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    So, you don't know, then you do know, then you don't know once more!

    Seems there's only one person who's confused and flustered
    His point is confusing -hence I don't know for sure; in the absence of clarity, I can only speculate on what he meant. Which is what I did. Either way he's free to clear up his point. HTH pal.

    While all the evidence shows that Brexit vote, age and education are interrelated -and thus not pointless- can you show that owning a football is independently associated with a vote to leave or remain? Which is what I picked you up on before you ran away and attempted to deflect and obfuscate. Given that's above your likely abilities, perhaps we can keep things simple and you can point me to where I mentioned an Oxford comma.

  12. #15912

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    #pony

  13. #15913

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Grinding, not spinning up Alpe d'Huez
    Posts
    1,671

    Default

    Ahh those halcyon days of the early 1970s. What a great time that was! Quite nostalgic tbh. You know, the range of choice in food shops, wonderful cars like Ford Cortina's, Morris Marina's and Austin Allegro's, the miners strike, power cuts, inflation at around 8%, Bloody Sunday, OPEC Oil Embargo. Happy days!

  14. #15914

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    I don't think you've understood the point, little westie. Other things being equal, the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote remain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    By your own admission, neither have you!

    Technically, Sergei made two points, let me highlight them for you so you can understand.

    Point 1 is that Older people are (were) more likely to vote leave.

    Point 2 is that younger people are more likely to have a degree.

    Those two things points (in Sergie's post) are not intrinsically linked and there is absolutely no way you can extrapolate that the more educated you are, the more likely you were to vote leave from what he wrote, not without making a huge assumption or pretending to be cleverer than everyone else.

    You'd be better off sticking to failing investment funds as that seems to be the only area where you have any success.
    Oh, the joy of taking things out of context.
    Sergei's post was made in response to this one,
    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. (YouGov)
    so the link between his 2 clauses is quite clear, as a smaller proportion of people over 45 will be university educated, and a majority of this age demographic voted leave. However, as Shurlock says, of the over 45s with a degree level qualification, a majority voted remain.
    Last edited by badgerx16; 02-02-2020 at 12:50 PM.

  15. #15915

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ecuk268 View Post
    70% of voters whose educational attainment is only GCSE or lower voted to Leave, while 68% of voters with a university degree voted to Remain in the EU. (YouGov)
    I’m curious to know what your degree is in. Just askin’. Or indeed A-levels.

  16. #15916

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Refreshing to watch Andrew Marr show and everyone seemed a little more rational and understanding of the others. That even included Farage.
    First time In many a moon that I have watched a political programme and not felt wound up. A nicer politics or they may just all be worn out?
    Didn’t watch Marr this morning but if the Daily Telegraph front page and Dominic Raab’s interviews are anything to go by, the anger, blame game and bizarre sense of victimhood are ratcheting up a notch. Barely 48hrs after leaving. Guess if it whips up the usual suspects into a frenzy and diverts attention, why change a winning formula.

    #getbrexitdone

  17. #15917

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Didn’t watch Marr this morning but if the Daily Telegraph front page and Dominic Raab’s interviews are anything to go by, the anger, blame game and bizarre sense of victimhood are ratcheting up a notch. Barely 48hrs after leaving. Guess if it whips up the usual suspects into a frenzy and diverts attention, why change a winning formula.

    #getbrexitdone
    But whose 'red lines' are illusiary, the UK's 'we will not meet EU rules' or the EU's 'no Free Trade except on our terms'. As Varadkar says, the UK ( at 22 miles from France and directly connected to Eire ) is not Canada ( over 2200 miles across the Atlantic ).

  18. #15918

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    His point is confusing -hence I don't know for sure; in the absence of clarity, I can only speculate on what he meant. Which is what I did. Either way he's free to clear up his point. HTH pal.

    While all the evidence shows that Brexit vote, age and education are interrelated -and thus not pointless- can you show that owning a football is independently associated with a vote to leave or remain?
    I appreciate you've had a very confusing day, pal, but at no point have I claimed that owning a football is independently associated with anything, let alone a vote to leave or remain. Not sure how you've managed to get yourself all muddled up this time, but hope my clarification helps.

  19. #15919

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    I appreciate you've had a very confusing day, pal, but at no point have I claimed that owning a football is independently associated with anything, let alone a vote to leave or remain. Not sure how you've managed to get yourself all muddled up this time, but hope my clarification helps.
    Sorry pal but you’re only digging a deeper hole for yourself and making yourself look more of a tit.

    One last chance: why is saying the younger you are the more likely you are to have a degree the same as saying the younger the you are, the more likely you are to own a football in the context of who voted remain (or leave) in the referendum?

    Unless you can show me otherwise, Westie, all you’ve done is take one meaningful association (age and education) and compared it to an utterly meaningless one (age and football ownership) in said context. Which, as I say, makes you look a tit.
    Last edited by shurlock; 02-02-2020 at 05:20 PM.

  20. #15920

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Is remembering life before the EEC even relevant?

    Apart from being a completely different world back then we were not on the doorstep of, but not part of, the world’s largest trading bloc.

  21. #15921

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Of course that is true, despite Gavyn's protestations.

  22. #15922

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    Of course that is true, despite Gavyn's protestations.
    Where did you get your uni degree from Les?

  23. #15923

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,195

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    Of course that is true, despite Gavyn's protestations.
    Still doesn’t change the fact that, ignoring age, well educated people tended to vote remain.

    Face it, you’re having a mare and are not really a good ad for the older generation.

  24. #15924

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    12,846

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Refreshing to watch Andrew Marr show and everyone seemed a little more rational and understanding of the others. That even included Farage.
    First time In many a moon that I have watched a political programme and not felt wound up. A nicer politics or they may just all be worn out?
    The last two or three episodes of Question Time have been a lot less confrontational now too. Brexit is no longer the burning issue that it was before the General Election when the Parliamentary arithmetic allowed all sorts of shenanigans to thwart it. It is a pity that on here the remoaners attempt to keep the pot boiling, fighting long lost battles, when the exercise is now completely pointless.

  25. #15925

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Per John Curtice, 70% of those aged 55+ with a degree voted for Remain.

    Them ’orrible, inconvenient facts again.

  26. #15926

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Per John Curtice, 70% of those aged 55+ with a degree voted for Remain.

    Them ’orrible, inconvenient facts again.
    including a Degree is David Beckham studies?

  27. #15927

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Where did you get your uni degree from Les?
    One where they didn't bother with grammar or conciseness.

  28. #15928

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    including a Degree is David Beckham studies?
    Given the latest that age cohort (55+) was born (at the time of the referendum) was 1961 and David Beckham was barely out of his mother’s snatch at the time it went to university, it would have taken someone with incredible foresight to create a degree in David Beckham studies. So no Jamie.

  29. #15929

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,861

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Given the latest that age cohort (55+) was born (at the time of the referendum) was 1961 and David Beckham was barely out of his mother’s snatch at the time it went to university, it would have taken someone with incredible foresight to create a degree in David Beckham studies. So no Jamie.
    Oh right, only counting those not studying later in life.
    Should have said...

  30. #15930

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Is remembering life before the EEC even relevant?

    Apart from being a completely different world back then we were not on the doorstep of, but not part of, the world’s largest trading bloc.
    When we joined the EEC, along with Eire and Denmark, we brought the number of members up to 9, so it was hardly analagous to the EU of 28 member states.

  31. Default

    Remainer Dan Hodges must have read this thread before he penned his article in the remain MoS today. Perfect description of the arrogant losers on here.


    “lecturing has become the Remainers’ default setting.

    The Remainers have transitioned from fearing Brexit to actively hoping Brexit will indeed prove the catalyst for national catastrophe. Their entire world view is predicated on Brexit’s failure.

    The economy has to slump, then crash. The NHS and other vital public services have to collapse. Britain has to be isolated, then shunned, by the global community.

    These are no longer things that fill Remainers with trepidation, but with longing. They absolutely have to be proved right. And the only way they can be proved right is through Brexit Armageddon. Because if Brexit works, the world as they know it vanishes around them. And then they have to adopt the Brexiteers’ old lament: ‘I don’t recognise my own country any more.”


    “That’s why the Remainers lost. Because they proved to be just as ideologically obsessed and blinkered as their opponents. Because they had no interest in listening, only in proving they knew best. Because when they were asked to show some respect for the British people, all they could muster was contempt.

    The nation saw all this. They saw it three and a half years ago. And they see it this morning. So the Remainers will lose again. And again. And again.”





    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  32. #15932

    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    P-Tr boundary
    Posts
    3,814

    Default Brexit - Enter at Your Own Risk

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC.
    Ah, the ‘good old days’. You can’t beat dreamy nostalgia. Life was better back then.
    Last edited by Plastic; 02-02-2020 at 06:51 PM.

  33. #15933

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Remainer Dan Hodges must have read this thread before he penned his article in the remain MoS today. Perfect description of the arrogant losers on here.


    “lecturing has become the Remainers’ default setting.

    The Remainers have transitioned from fearing Brexit to actively hoping Brexit will indeed prove the catalyst for national catastrophe. Their entire world view is predicated on Brexit’s failure.

    The economy has to slump, then crash. The NHS and other vital public services have to collapse. Britain has to be isolated, then shunned, by the global community.

    These are no longer things that fill Remainers with trepidation, but with longing. They absolutely have to be proved right. And the only way they can be proved right is through Brexit Armageddon. Because if Brexit works, the world as they know it vanishes around them. And then they have to adopt the Brexiteers’ old lament: ‘I don’t recognise my own country any more.”


    “That’s why the Remainers lost. Because they proved to be just as ideologically obsessed and blinkered as their opponents. Because they had no interest in listening, only in proving they knew best. Because when they were asked to show some respect for the British people, all they could muster was contempt.

    The nation saw all this. They saw it three and a half years ago. And they see it this morning. So the Remainers will lose again. And again. And again.”
    Utter and complete


  34. #15934

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    31,087
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Utter and complete

    Do you think the likes of Terry Christian would prefer the UK to fail and do terribly? Because it certainly seems that way and he's clearly not the only one.

  35. #15935

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Do you think the likes of Terry Christian would prefer the UK to fail and do terribly? Because it certainly seems that way and he's clearly not the only one.
    In which case he is a d!ckwad.

  36. Default

    Couple of Remoaners proving Hodges right again....,


    “Because they had no interest in listening, only in proving they knew best”.


    “Lecturing has become the Remainer’s default setting ”


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  37. #15937

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Couple of Remoaners proving Hodges right again....,


    “Because they had no interest in listening, only in proving they knew best”.


    “Lecturing has become the Remainer’s default setting ”
    Which do you think is the greater number; the percentage of remain voters who want brexit to 'fail', or the percentage of leave voters who are racists ?

  38. #15938

    Default

    How's the healing of the country going?

  39. #15939

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Isle of Wight and Tokyo
    Posts
    829

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by rallyboy View Post
    How's the healing of the country going?
    I’m sure it will improve as soon as the first tranche of the £350m a week that was promised to the NHS gets paid. Presumably this will be from 1st February?

  40. #15940

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kingsland Codger View Post
    I’m sure it will improve as soon as the first tranche of the £350m a week that was promised to the NHS gets paid. Presumably this will be from 1st February?
    We will still be paying into the EU until the end of the transition period, so the "promised" money won't be available until 2021 at the earliest.

  41. #15941

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Unless you can show me otherwise, Westie, all you’ve done is take one meaningful association (age and education) and compared it to an utterly meaningless one (age and football ownership) in said context. Which, as I say, makes you look a tit.
    Jesus wept! It took you long enough but you got there in the end!

    That is EXACTLY what I did - to highlight that Sergie's two 'facts' were completely independent of one another!

    I even put at the end that it was another pointless comparison. Glad you finally cottoned on though pal, maybe that little lie down helped get you through another confusing day!

  42. #15942

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Jesus wept! It took you long enough but you got there in the end!

    That is EXACTLY what I did - to highlight that Sergie's two 'facts' were completely independent of one another!

    I even put at the end that it was another pointless comparison. Glad you finally cottoned on though pal, maybe that little lie down helped get you through another confusing day!
    Either you’re now putting words in my mouth because you’re desperate or you’re compounding your error by showing you can’t read, Westie.

    Where did I say Sergei’s facts were independent of each other (per your claim)? I said it is a meaningful association in the context of who voted remain or leave in the referendum. By contrast, your facts -being young and owning a football- are independent of each other in the context of who voted remain or leave in the referendum. It is completely meaningless.

    I get the impression you don’t know the difference between meaningful and meaningless. Wouldn’t surprise me as you’re not the brightest bulb in the intellectual chandelier.

    To repeat, it is a basic empirical fact that younger voters are more likely to have voted remain; it is another undisputed empirical fact that more educated voters are more likely to have voted remain. And it is a further basic, undisputed, empirical fact that younger voters are more likely to have a degree (i.e. be more educated). In other words these facts are not independent of each other; they are interrelated on some level. Ergo it is not a “pointless comparison”. Only you, on this thread, thinks it is -and tried to demonstrate so with some guff about owning footballs.

    Keep doubling down on your stupidity pal. I’ve got all day and all the rope you need for you to hang yourself. It’s no skin off my nose; but it can’t be very pleasant for you
    Last edited by shurlock; 03-02-2020 at 09:27 AM.

  43. #15943

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Either you’re now putting words in my mouth because you’re desperate or you’re compounding your error by showing you can’t read, Westie.

    Where did I say Sergei’s facts were independent of each other (per your claim)?
    Jesus wept!

    I'm the one that said they were independent of each other, not you, me! Not sure what your problem is with the written word, pal, but perhaps you need another lie down!

    To make it perfectly clear, at no point, ever, did I suggest that you claimed the two facts were independent of one another, that was me all along, and I was pointing out that his post didn't make any sense in the context it was written, ergo, it was meaningless / pointless (similar, in fact, to trying to engage with you!)

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurlock
    I get the impression you don’t know the difference between meaningful and meaningless. Wouldn’t surprise me as you’re not the brightest bulb in the intellectual chandelier.
    Carry on with the insults if you like but it's pretty clear which one of us doesn't have the ability to read!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurlock
    To repeat, it is a basic empirical fact that younger voters are more likely to have voted remain; it is another undisputed empirical fact that more educated voters are more likely to have voted remain. And it is a further basic, undisputed, empirical fact that younger voters are more likely to have a degree (i.e. be more educated). In other words these facts are not independent of each other; they are interrelated on some level. Ergo it is not a “pointless comparison”. Only you, on this thread, thinks it is -and tried to demonstrate so with some guff about owning footballs.
    But that's not the point that Sergei was making is it!

    Have you forgotten that you even said yourself that you didn't understand the point he was making (but maybe that's your whole inability to read issue?).

    Quote Originally Posted by Shurlock
    Keep doubling down on your stupidity pal. I’ve got all day and all the rope you need for you to hang yourself. It’s no skin off my nose; but it can’t be very pleasant for you
    Yep, definitley me that's the stupid one :mcinees:

  44. #15944

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Westie - you’re having a compete mare pal. Give up - if this was a boxing match, the trainer would have thrown in the towel ages ago. Alas you’re too dim and stubborn to realise and keep walking into the metaphorical punches.

    You say that age and education are independent of each other. Wrong. It flies in the face of all the evidence that shows they are related to some degree in the context of the referendum vote. And without wishing to patronise you any further, that’s what we’re talking about here -the referendum vote and whether the relationship between the remain vote and education level is real (interpreted by some as meaning remainers knew what they were doing) or whether the relationship is somewhat spurious, confounded by other factors such as age (see Badger’s post which points out that Sergei was challenging ecuk on this very point).

    Flatly ignoring or denying the empirical evidence that age and education are interrelated in this context makes you look foolish. You then compounded your foolishness by likening it to an example that you pulled out of your arse and that is truly bizarre and pointless.

    I know this place isn’t buzzing with intellect but you take the biscuit little Westie
    Last edited by shurlock; 03-02-2020 at 04:35 PM.

  45. #15945

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post

    You say that age and education are independent of each other.
    No, no I don't!

    Jesus wept, you're thicker than a whale omelette!

    I've said - numerous times now - that Sergei's post does not make sense, that was the point I was making. You'll recall from that post that he made no correlation between the two!

    But feel free to highlight a post of mine that states age and education are independent of one another....

  46. #15946

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    No, no I don't!

    Jesus wept, you're thicker than a whale omelette!

    I've said - numerous times now - that Sergei's post does not make sense, that was the point I was making. You'll recall from that post that he made no correlation between the two!

    But feel free to highlight a post of mine that states age and education are independent of one another....
    His general argument in the context of ecuk’s post makes sense - hence why everyone was able to understand and respond to it, except you. Perhaps if you’re the only one who struggles with a post, you should take a look in the mirror as the issue is almost certainly with you pal.

    I didn’t say he made “no correlation between the two” (whatever that means). I couldnt work out the degree to which he thought age and education were correlated. And if the suggestion was that the two were perfectly or highly correlated, negating ecuk’s point then I disagree and provided evidence to that extent.

    I’m glad we agree that age and education are not independent of each other and nothing like the relationship between age and owning a football.

    On that point of agreement, I’m going to leave things here. You truly are a special poster, Oxford commas and all
    Last edited by shurlock; 03-02-2020 at 05:17 PM.

  47. #15947

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Not entirely sure what Brexit has got to do with the strength of the [independent] Zloty against the pound, especially as 'Brexit' hasn't actually happened yet, but feel free to have a look for yourself [pal] : https://www.poundsterlinglive.com/ba...BP-to-PLN-2007

    Jan 2005 5.8Zl / £
    Jan 2008 4.8Zl / £
    Jan 2009 4.3Zl / £
    Jan 2011 4.6Zl / £ (4 years before a vote on Brexit was even mentioned!)
    Jan 2013 4.9Zl / £
    Jan 2016 5.9Zl / £ (1 year after the vote on Brexit with the pound getting stronger against the Zloty!)
    Jan 2018 4.7Zl / £ (back to roughly 2008 levels!)

    I'm sure there's something in there that will make me look stupid though!
    Hmm. I don't think that Weston should accuse others of being thick. Ever since he posted this little classic, at the beginning of last year, I have considered him to be one of the more intellectually challenged members of the forum.

    Basing a whole argument on the fact that the referendum was in 2015 not 2016 was amusing - especially as his argument was completely undermined by this error.

  48. #15948

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Super Weston Mare
    Posts
    12,022

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post

    On that point of agreement, I’m going to leave things here. You truly are a special poster, Oxford commas and all
    So, you can't find a post of mine then?

    I'm assuming irony was the order of the day when you chose your user name

  49. #15949

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    19,954
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tamesaint View Post
    Hmm. I don't think that Weston should accuse others of being thick. Ever since he posted this little classic, at the beginning of last year, I have considered him to be one of the more intellectually challenged members of the forum.

    Basing a whole argument on the fact that the referendum was in 2015 not 2016 was amusing - especially as his argument was completely undermined by this error.


    That’s our Westie.

  50. #15950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    The older you are the more likely you are to remember life before The EEC. Therefore your life experience is higher than snowflakes who only know life within the EU. Telling that the majority of this group of experienced people voted leave.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd be interested to see a stat of what percentage of people who fought in the Boer war were anti-Mandela.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •