• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

I think parity could be on the cards, but the suggestion was light hearted, ( and has the comedy potential to provoke some of our more Eurosceptic colleagues ).

I just can't see it dropping quite that much - certainly off the initial shock (which is when you'd need to sell TBH before the pound strengthens on the back of investment into the FTSE 100 companies).

So, Brexit will shortly be consigned to a footnote in history and the seismic effects of the two heavyweights slugging it out for world trade will determine, by and large, what happens in the rest of the world. The UK will become a nimble lightweight, ducking and diving, whilst holding Trumps jacket, when we need the US to do our fighting for us. China will be fighting with a knuckleduster, in the form of currency manipulation and won't need to ask an electorate for permission to do what the hell they want. Watch how they will slap Hong Kong down. In fact, China is treating Hong Kong like the EU has treated the UK. We have the democratic advantage, though, thank God.

Meanwhile, the EU climbs into the ring with one arm tied behind its back, in the form of the euro. Tariffs from the US and the UK will do to the EU, what they are doing to China. Watch the German manufacturing economy continue to tank, taking the euro with it. The UK will quickly reduce its corporate tax rate and become a global tax haven anchored just off the French coast. No metal bashing for the UK, just a rampant growth of services, curtailing the Irish tax dodging, economic "miracle". Still, at least they can get back to helping the UK to improve its transport infrastructure.

The UK will quickly reduce its corporate tax rate and become a global tax haven anchored just off the French coast.

Yay, just what the blue collar brexiteers voted for. They’re probably all busy putting deposits down on yachts.

UK too desperate to secure US trade deal, says Clinton's treasury secretary

Britain in weak negotiating position despite Trump’s warm words, says Larry Summers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/06/brexit-clinton-treasury-secretary-larry-summers-dismisses-desperate-uk-hopes-of-us-trade-deal

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

So, with No Deal looming, is anyone purchasing any currencies to at least try to make some money out of it?

Obviously dollar is a safe bet, but are there any other currencies that people would recommend to hold until post Brexit?

I started working in another country in February and am paid locally. In GBP my annual salary has increased by about 10k since then. So I'm benefiting passively.

UK too desperate to secure US trade deal, says Clinton's treasury secretary

Britain in weak negotiating position despite Trump’s warm words, says Larry Summers

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/aug/06/brexit-clinton-treasury-secretary-larry-summers-dismisses-desperate-uk-hopes-of-us-trade-deal

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Country desperate for trade deal with ruthless leader of the First World leads to poor trade deal.

No ****...

I started working in another country in February and am paid locally. In GBP my annual salary has increased by about 10k since then. So I'm benefiting passively.

Where are you working? Zimbabwe? ;)

Edited by shurlock
For the MLG's of this thread, its a joke. I am aware Zimbabwe abandoned its currency.

After EU consistently confirmed that negotiations were over, Gove is astonished to discover that negotiations are over. #realitycheck

He is pointless.

It makes you wonder how many of the latest promises were just made up to harvest votes for Boris from the walking dead.

Wonder if the remaining EU countries have come to an agreement on who will make up the money they won't be getting from the UK yet?

Theyre going to have a bit of a short fall in 86 days...

Tick Tock.

Wonder if the remaining EU countries have come to an agreement on who will make up the money they won't be getting from the UK yet?

Tick Tock.

What is it? £33bn paid over several years and a portion not paid till the 2060s. It’s chump change in the context of government budgets and the size of national economies pal. Trust you to get bamboozled by it all :lol:

The amount of people who STILL think we are in a position of power in comparison to the EU :lol:

Behave, mate. UK has a £67 billion trade deficit with the EU, imports over €22 billion of cars from Germany and the EU care more about Ireland? We have the 2nd largest economy in the EU, FFS. Still, keep putting you country down. You'll have plenty of support amongst the other traitors on this thread.

Tick Tock.

Germany and France, and they'll cover it easily with the taxes made from financial institutions moving overseas.

One of my friends is heading up the JPM move to Paris, and she reckons a number of other big banks are waiting to see what the new Corp tax rates are - and if not below 8% they'll go as well.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Germany and France, and they'll cover it easily with the taxes made from financial institutions moving overseas.

One of my friends is heading up the JPM move to Paris, and she reckons a number of other big banks are waiting to see what the new Corp tax rates are - and if not below 8% they'll go as well.

Not just financial institutions. Lucrative support services such as IT are following suit. A friend of mine and his whole business unit are moving to Frankfurt.

Sadly the idiots here don’t see it because bin-men and plasterers aren’t affected by the change (yet).

Good riddance to all those greedy bankers who we are chucking out - I'm just glad they always insist on taking any financial hit themselves and battle to prevent ramifications trickling down to the less well-off, and that they don't employ anyone else or spend money in our economy in any form.

We don't need them and their money, we just need to believe.

Not just financial institutions. Lucrative support services such as IT are following suit. A friend of mine and his whole business unit are moving to Frankfurt.

Sadly the idiots here don’t see it because bin-men and plasterers aren’t affected by the change (yet).

Bloody government keep posting record employment numbers, so it is quite difficult to spot the exodus.

Bloody government keep posting record employment numbers, so it is quite difficult to spot the exodus.

They haven't moved yet, they're in the process. Of course they wouldn't have shown up yet.

You'll also recognise that a lot of these businesses are taking people with them - so you'll just see an increase in emigration when it does happen.

It isn't the numbers, it's the value of their work, compared to the thousands on zero hour contracts working as AMAZON and DELIVEROO couriers.

Behave, mate. UK has a £67 billion trade deficit with the EU, imports over €22 billion of cars from Germany and the EU care more about Ireland? We have the 2nd largest economy in the EU, FFS. Still, keep putting you country down. You'll have plenty of support amongst the other traitors on this thread.

I think the problem is that a lot of Remainers are struggling to see anything good in a country where 17m voters are that ****ing thick. How the hell can we compete when we have these Brexiteer mouth-breathers accounting for circa £17m.

Personally, I feel ashamed to be British.

It isn't the numbers, it's the value of their work, compared to the thousands on zero hour contracts working as AMAZON and DELIVEROO couriers.
Sadly the ONS datasets haven't picked those up yet either.

Go figure.

If only we could find some statisticians to back up these claims.

I had no vote in it, and no dog in this fight, but I was always pro Europe since the referendum in the 70s.

Over time though, all I have ever seen is an agenda to build up Germany with france as its pet poodle. It's never going to change.

Sure, UK will be weaker for a while and maybe will be stuck with its lower status, but they would have also shrunk to dogsbody status in the EU. Actually, they already had.

I knew you’d be one of those STILL believing it, John :lol:

You’re a little rascal. Thick, but slightly endearing.

I had no vote in it, and no dog in this fight, but I was always pro Europe since the referendum in the 70s.

Over time though, all I have ever seen is an agenda to build up Germany with france as its pet poodle. It's never going to change.

Sure, UK will be weaker for a while and maybe will be stuck with its lower status, but they would have also shrunk to dogsbody status in the EU. Actually, they already had.

6th biggest economy the world aren't we?

If theres record employment and work is the route out of poverty, why are household incomes not rising and child poverty increasing?

https://metro.co.uk/2019/03/28/4100000-children-still-living-poverty-uk-9042166/

Because when you define 'poverty' as a specific percentage below a median. Youre basically saying there has to be poverty.

You cant eradicate poverty if you define it like that.

Left wing think tanks mix and match relative poverty, absolute poverty, relative income poverty and absolute income poverty to obfusicate.

Theres even one definition of poverty that says if two children share a room, they're classed as in poverty.

Edited by Nolan

Because when you define 'poverty' as a specific percentage below a median. Youre basically saying there has to be poverty.

You cant eradicate poverty if you define it like that.

Left wing think tanks mix and max relative poverty, absolute poverty, relative income poverty and absolute income poverty to obfusicate.

Theres even one definition of poverty that says if two children share a room, they're classed as in poverty.

How do definitions effectively require there to be poverty? Do a bit of reading before making a fool of yourself.

How do definitions effectively require there to be poverty? Do a bit of reading before making a fool of yourself.
Its simple maths Shurlock.

If you say that poverty is those on a certain percentage below a median. As the median moves up, those the definition classes as in poverty moves up.

So if you automatically increased everybody's wages 10 fold.

Even though those at the bottoms wages had been multiplied by 10, the definition would still class those at the bottom as in poverty.

Have to say that a person called Shurlock not investigating these things is kind of ironic.

Its simple maths Shurlock.

If you say that poverty is those on a certain percentage below a median. As the median moves up, those the definition classes as in poverty moves up.

So if you automatically increased everybody's wages 10 fold.

Even though those at the bottoms wages had been multiplied by 10, the definition would still class those at the bottom as in poverty.

Have to say that a person called Shurlock not investigating these things is kind of ironic.

???

Its possible to have no poverty on both relative and absolute measures of poverty. So no definitions don't require there to be poverty. FACT.

???

Its possible to have no poverty on both relative and absolute measures of poverty. So no definitions don't require there to be poverty. FACT.

Lol...

Come back and join back into the debate when you've worked out what I'm talking about.

You're having a shocker Locksy.

???

I could be wrong (first time for everything :) ) but I think what Nolan is highlighting is that if the entire UK population earned £1 million, all except one person who earned £999,999, then that one person would be classed as 'poor' under one of the regularly used methods of categorisation. #extremetoillustrateapoint

Maybe.

Lol...

Come back and join back into the debate when you've worked out what I'm talking about.

You're having a shocker Locksy.

No I know exactly what you're talking and your strawman example does you no favours.

Because a society's view about what is an acceptable standard of living evolves over time, use of relative poverty makes complete sense - it is not some lefty ruse to require there to be poverty.

I could be wrong (first time for everything :) ) but I think what Nolan is highlighting is that if the entire UK population earned £1 million, all except one person who earned £999,999, then that one person would be classed as 'poor' under one of the regularly used methods of categorisation. #extremetoillustrateapoint

Maybe.

I know what he's talking about - it doesn't make it any less of a ludicrous strawman.

Never mind you and Nolan don't even know how relative and absolute poverty measures are constructed - the basic difference between wages and income :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Maybe.

Pretty much, using the current definition of "relative poverty" the only way to eradicate poverty would be to remove rich people from the equation and use a model of everyone member of the population receiving exactly the same amount of money each month.

Its why "absolute poverty" is the measure that is useful.

Even if you take "absolute income poverty" this statistic is not useful as it can include millionaires have have over borrowed and can not afford repayments.

Edited by Nolan

Pretty much, using the current definition of relative poverty the only way to eradicate poverty would be to remove rich people from the equation and use a model of everyone member of the population receiving exactly the same amount of money each month.

Its why "absolute poverty" is the measure that is useful.

Even if you take "absolute income poverty" this statistic is not useful as it can include millionaires have have over borrowed and can not afford repayments.

Again this is moronic - you should have got a few more hours of sleep.

I gather you understand the difference between median and mean income (N.B income incorporates more than just employment earnings) pal. Or may be not :lol:

Again this is moronic - you should have got a few more hours of sleep.

I gather you understand the difference between median and mean income (N.B income incorporates more than just employment earnings) pal. Or may be not [emoji38]

Lol i studied maths at university.

Don't worry, i don't blame you for not understanding it Locksy.

Go and read up on it a bit more.

Lol i studied maths at university.

Don't worry, i don't blame you for not understanding it Locksy.

Go and read up on it a bit more.

I'm scared to ask where you studied :scared:

Then you would understand that median income (which underpins measures of relative poverty) is far, far less sensitive to outliers and skewed data (i.e. what happens to the rich). Cue the next fantastic, as-yet-to-exist strawman to dig yourself out of a hole: what happens if those on median incomes are also millionaires and rich. Jesus wept :lol:

A quick to do list for you pal:

Read up on the difference between median and mean

Read up on how poverty and income measures are constructed (i.e. they include benefit income which is progressive, not just employment earnings)

Read up on the rationale for relative poverty measures

Read up on the divorce bill - £33bn really isn't a large sum of money all things considered.

And no Britannia Unchained doesn't count.

In the meantime, perhaps, you should be asking your uni for a refund.

Edited by shurlock

I'm scared to ask where you studied :scared:

Then you would understand that median income (which underpins measures of relative poverty) is far, far less sensitive to outliers and skewed data (i.e. what happens to the rich). Cue the next fantastic, as-yet-to-exist strawman to dig yourself out of a hole: what happens if those on median incomes are also millionaires and rich. Jesus wept [emoji38]

A quick to do list for you pal:

Read up on the difference between median and mean

Read up on how poverty and income measures are constructed (i.e. they include benefit income which is progressive, not just employment earnings)

Read up on the rationale for relative poverty measures

Read up on the divorce bill - £33bn really isn't a large sum of money all things considered.

And no Britannia Unchained doesn't count.

In the meantime, perhaps, you should be asking your uni for a refund.

Why would i ask my uni for a refund. I didn't pay a penny.

Your obfusication is great.

Everything i wrote is 100% accurate.

Relative poverty is a pointless measure.

Ffs it includes my children in the 4 million children in poverty, I'll ask my youngest if he thinks hes in poverty next time he gets off his game console.

Why would i ask my uni for a refund. I didn't pay a penny.

Your obfusication is great.

Everything i wrote is 100% accurate.

Relative poverty is a pointless measure.

Ffs it includes my children in the 4 million children in poverty, I'll ask my youngest if he thinks hes in poverty next time he gets off his game console.

Seems like Uni was a bad choice for you if you're in poverty.

Brexit will also be a very bad choice for someone in your position. May have to sell that games console.

A plea please:

can we have less obfusication round here?

It's the Brexit thread. It's about doing something that is completely unintelligible. Therefore obfuscation is the order of the day.

Edit: Didn't realise you'd spelt it incorrectly as a joke. Good joke.

Never mind you and Nolan don't even know how relative and absolute poverty measures are constructed - the basic difference between wages and income :lol:

I fear you may be mistaking me for someone that has declared they know something about this... Let me reassure you that I know diddly squat about the subject matter under discussion. Apologies for interupting the flow of the usual "I'm right", "No, I'm right", "No, you're wrong", "No, you're wrong" Saintsweb Forum bickering convention ;)

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction