View Poll Results: Saints Web Definitely Not Official Second Referendum

Voters
161. You may not vote on this poll
  • Leave Before - Leave Now

    36 22.36%
  • Leave Before - Remain Now

    8 4.97%
  • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now

    2 1.24%
  • Remain Before - Remain Now

    89 55.28%
  • Remain Before - Leave Now

    6 3.73%
  • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now

    0 0%
  • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now

    3 1.86%
  • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now

    4 2.48%
  • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?

    3 1.86%
  • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

    10 6.21%
Page 2 of 333 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 16601

Thread: Brexit - Enter at Your Own Risk

  1. #51

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Rejoin EFTA in the meantime, then. You should remember EFTA, Whitey. I still have the stamps. Here is the free trade agreements they have and none of it involves kowtowing to Brussels, only filling in an application form:
    Of course I remember it.

    These countries are now part of the Schengen agreement and have to pay to get access to the EEA. Being part of the EEA is a minimu for us, I would have thought.

    Where do you get all this 'kowtowing to Brussels'? I've never had to do any of that.

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Where do you get all this 'kowtowing to Brussels'? I've never had to do any of that.
    Like I just posted...selling washers.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    You just don't have a clue, Whitey. The EU is a regulatory nightmare, one I am just waking up from. Alright if your selling washers, but for anything the Germans and French want to protect, you're f*****
    I have been exporting several million £ to the EU for over 30 years and I don't have any problems. Who have you upset?

  4. #54

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Like I just posted...selling washers.
    Dishwashers, windcreen washers, patio washers...?

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Here's another one for you to read and the original one is here.

    Read and learn. You're never too old!

    PS: The UK have a very large number of lawyers and civil servants who will be out of a job, now that we have left the EU.
    We shall still need them in Brussels in order to keep up to date with everything that's happening. There are no savings to be made there. Until now we have had the EU to do everything for us.

  6. #56

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Please don't try to lecture me on world trade. I have been selling stuff across the world for over 30 years. Nothing is as straightforward as the Single Market. Anything else costs more.
    I export to both the EU and the US and find no issues with one over another and we don't have a trade deal with the US.

    Furthermore, a UK trade negotiators job will be far easier than an EU negotiators job. For starters, you don't have consult 28 member states to formulate a position and then report back, only for whoever to block it.
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 28-06-2016 at 02:48 PM.

  7. #57

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    I have been exporting several million £ to the EU for over 30 years and I don't have any problems. Who have you upset?
    GM sells poisons. Oddly enough the EU dont want a lot of them.

  8. #58

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    We have a Government department with offices in over 100 countries that is responsible for promoting UK Trade
    https://www.gov.uk/government/organi...vestment/about

    I will let you into a little secret. We do have trade relations with dozens of countries already...
    https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/con...ia-and-pacific

    In fact, the UK are already actively involved in negotiations....
    https://www.nibusinessinfo.co.uk/content/uk-trade-relations-commonwealth


    To suggest otherwise is another Project Fear lie. Jeez, I am really starting to question whether academic acheivement correlates to intelligence



    UKTI

    Have you ever dealt with them? Organising trade fairs for SMEs is about their comfort zone.

    Got a chip on your shoulder about your education, don't you pal?

  9. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Here's another one for you to read and the original one is here.

    Read and learn. You're never too old!

    PS: The UK have a very large number of lawyers and civil servants who will be out of a job, now that we have left the EU.
    I've had a look at it and it only re-inforces my views. Then I looked at the 'about us' page and everything became clear.


    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    You just don't have a clue, Whitey. The EU is a regulatory nightmare, one I am just waking up from. Alright if your selling washers, but for anything the Germans and French want to protect, you're f*****

    I think our posts overlapped. As I said, I have been designing manufacturing and selling products all over the world for nearly 40 years amounting to several millions of £. We've sold in North America, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East amongst others but the bulk of our products to the EU went to Denmark and France. I have plenty of clues and I know all about selling worldwide. (Specialist electronic products and software)

  10. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    I have been exporting several million £ to the EU for over 30 years and I don't have any problems. Who have you upset?
    Like I said, not a clue and if you aren't prepared to read and learn about the options open to the UK in those links I posted, then me posting the 50 page summary of the EU regulations covering my business and the 100's of associated regulations and guidance documents, is a waste of time. Having seen German and French companies ignore the uniform principles of the EU, to use these regulations against SME's and larger UK companies have, I think, provided me with the experience you obviously lack and from which you aren't prepared to learn. The UK regulatory authorities always applied EU law fairly. The Germans and the French? It was summed up by the German authorities, when asked why they hadn't approved one of our products for sale in Germany, after approval in the UK, asked me if I had a supply agreement in place with Bayer.

  11. #61

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    UKTI

    Have you ever dealt with them? Organising trade fairs for SMEs is about their comfort zone.

    Got a chip on your shoulder about your education, don't you pal?
    Yep fair point on UKTI, but you can't disagree with the fact that we already negotiate and manage trade deals outside the EU. The assertion that we have zero experience and no people to deal with it is ridiculous.

    I'm cool with my education, thanks. I just have a chip on my shoulder in relation to those snobby progressive types that seem to get a sense of self worth from a piece of paper ;-)
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 28-06-2016 at 03:03 PM.

  12. #62

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with me
    Posts
    5,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Please don't try to lecture me on world trade. I have been selling stuff across the world for over 30 years. Nothing is as straightforward as the Single Market. Anything else costs more.
    Surely a business model that is built on the presumption of protectionism is flawed?

  13. #63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hutch View Post
    Surely a business model that is built on the presumption of protectionism is flawed?
    I'm not sure what you're referring to here.

  14. #64

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Like I said, not a clue and if you aren't prepared to read and learn about the options open to the UK in those links I posted, then me posting the 50 page summary of the EU regulations covering my business and the 100's of associated regulations and guidance documents, is a waste of time. Having seen German and French companies ignore the uniform principles of the EU, to use these regulations against SME's and larger UK companies have, I think, provided me with the experience you obviously lack and from which you aren't prepared to learn. The UK regulatory authorities always applied EU law fairly. The Germans and the French? It was summed up by the German authorities, when asked why they hadn't approved one of our products for sale in Germany, after approval in the UK, asked me if I had a supply agreement in place with Bayer.
    Links? I read the one from the lawyers.

    Dealing with any other country involves an appreciation of the local predilections. Do you think it would be any easier to deal with someone in Argentina, say? Or Malaysia, or any one of hundreds of others. I have never had any problems in France but there again you have to know how to work the system. I suspect that you may have fallen foul of the UK's gleeful tendency to goldplate any regulations that originate in Brussels.

    Please explain why you think life would be easier for your exporting if (when) Britain is outside the EU? Wouldn't you still have to meet the environmental and product specifications?
    Last edited by Whitey Grandad; 28-06-2016 at 03:32 PM.

  15. #65

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    Yep fair point on UKTI, but you can't disagree with the fact that we already negotiate and manage trade deals outside the EU. The assertion that we have zero experience and no people to deal with it is ridiculous.

    I'm cool with my education, thanks. I just have a chip on my shoulder in relation to those snobby progressive types that seem to get a sense of self worth from a piece of paper ;-)
    I heard on the radio that there are no more than a handful of people who could do it.

    Miriam reckons there might be 25 and that we need at least 500:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d257114a18b2

  16. #66

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    I heard on the radio that there are no more than a handful of people who could do it.

    Miriam reckons there might be 25 and that we need at least 500:

    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entr...b0d257114a18b2
    Well she's not up to the job if she thinks the EU comprises of 500m consumers post Brexit LOL

    This was the line peddled by the remainers, forgetting the fact that this number includes UK population... unless we are no longer allowed to trade with ourselves

    We're getting on to a SATS level maths question here...
    If there are 500m consumers in the EU and one country of 60m leaves, how many consumers are left to trade with???

    Any takers?
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 28-06-2016 at 04:05 PM.

  17. #67

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    Well she's not up to the job if she thinks the EU comprises of 500m consumers post Brexit LOL

    This was the line peddled by the remainers, forgetting the fact that this number includes UK population... unless we are no longer allowed to trade with ourselves

    We're getting on to a SATS level maths question here...
    If there are 500m consumers in the EU and one country of 60m leaves, how many consumers are left to trade with???

    Any takers?
    That's not the point and remainers have argued something very different. Its factually correct to say that the UK is either part of a single market of 500m or outside it as a market of 60m.

  18. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Links? I read the one from the lawyers.
    I posted two links. Here is the one you had trouble clicking on. If you need a hand with using the TV remote, let me know....

  19. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    Well she's not up to the job if she thinks the EU comprises of 500m consumers post Brexit LOL
    She can always go back to Spain, if she thinks the EU trade deals are doing such a good job, although the chances of her kids getting a job there are pretty remote...

  20. #70

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,936

    Default

    Seen on the news that the EU top-bods turned down a request from Sturgeon for a meeting

    oh well

  21. #71

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    That's not the point and remainers have argued something very different. Its factually correct to say that the UK is either part of a single market of 500m or outside it as a market of 60m.
    It's factually correct to state that those outside the EU could trade with 500m consumers up until the point the UK leaves. After that, they would be trading with 440m consumers in the EU.

    From a UK perspective, trading with the EU does not open a market of 500m people, if in fact the UK comprises of 60m of those people. The net benefit to the UK is that there are 440m consumers that we could sell to without restriction, if we stayed inside the EU. The 60m consumers in the UK are open to trade in or outside the EU. This is fairly basic stuff to be honest.
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 28-06-2016 at 04:27 PM.

  22. #72

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    It's factually correct to state that those outside the EU could trade with 500m consumers up until the point the UK leaves. After that, they would be trading with 440m consumers in the EU.

    From a UK perspective, trading with the EU does not open a market of 500m people, if we in fact comprise of 60m of those people. The net benefit to the UK is that there are 440m consumers that we could sell to without restriction, if inside the EU.
    I am not aware of many people arguing that. What I heard, especially in the context of doing deals with the rest of the world, is that on paper the UK would be a more attractive trade partner if it was part of single market of 500m than if it was out as a market of 60m. Again that's not factually incorrect.

  23. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Seen on the news that the EU top-bods turned down a request from Sturgeon for a meeting

    oh well
    According to this video, she's expecting a call on her mobile at any minute from Donald Tusk...


  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    I posted two links. Here is the one you had trouble clicking on. If you need a hand with using the TV remote, let me know....
    Don't be so childish. You provided a link and I clicked on it and got a blank page. Take it up with Google Chrome because it's nothing to do with the way I click on it. You could also try posting the complete text for the link and not try to disguise it behind a 'here'. Then if there are any problems the reader would have a chance finding the target through another route.

    That document has a lot of words but doesn't actually say very much and is clearly written from a pre-determined viewpoint. They are trying to tell the US Government what their foreign policy should be for a start.

    p.s. I have designed more infrared remote controls than you've had customers in Germany.

  25. #75

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Seen on the news that the EU top-bods turned down a request from Sturgeon for a meeting

    oh well
    They would, wouldn't they. They can't be seen to be interfering at this stage of the process. Everything in Europe happens away from the public eye and there will he all sorts of 'meetings' taking place in broom cupboards.

  26. #76

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuck in the middle with me
    Posts
    5,718

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    They would, wouldn't they. They can't be seen to be interfering at this stage of the process. Everything in Europe happens away from the public eye and there will he all sorts of 'meetings' taking place in broom cupboards.
    But Junker's ordered them all not to talk to us.

  27. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Whitey Grandad View Post
    Don't be so childish. You provided a link and I clicked on it and got a blank page. Take it up with Google Chrome because it's nothing to do with the way I click on it. You could also try posting the complete text for the link and not try to disguise it behind a 'here'. Then if there are any problems the reader would have a chance finding the target through another route.

    That document has a lot of words but doesn't actually say very much and is clearly written from a pre-determined viewpoint. They are trying to tell the US Government what their foreign policy should be for a start.

    p.s. I have designed more infrared remote controls than you've had customers in Germany.
    The links were posted, both as hyperlinks and in full.Trying to disguise them with a hyperlink? That's right .

    The paper by the two PhD's obviously have too many words for you to bother with. You're the one with the "pre-determined viewpoint" and as I said, if you're not going to read the document I refer to, to support an argument I'm wasting my time engaging with you, apart from saying we have 12,000 customers in Germany. Bye, bye and I'll look forward to revisiting this topic in a year when the UK economy is flying, the EU is in the cr@pper and your teeth are still in a glass of water at night...

  28. #78

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    I am not aware of many people arguing that. What I heard, especially in the context of doing deals with the rest of the world, is that on paper the UK would be a more attractive trade partner if it was part of single market of 500m than if it was out as a market of 60m. Again that's not factually incorrect.
    The remainers and remain campaign have been banging on about 500m throughout... and continue to do so.

    Let's quote from the horses mouth...
    http://www.strongerin.co.uk/get_the_facts

    Just scroll down to the bit that says....
    In the EU Single Market, over 1 million UK businesses trade without export or import charges, or paperwork, to 500 million customers in the EU (Sources: HMRC and Treasury).

    Population of the EU is 500 million aprox. The UK is 65 million approx. So I make the net benefit of 435 million 'consumers' available to the UK, aside from their own.

    However, no one really mentions this, but 66 million of these 435 million are in fact under 14 years of age and are not full on consumers. When was the last time you traded with a 3 year old?

    So we're really looking at 369 million teenage and adult consumers, that we lose the ability to sell to.

    The remainers have been massively overstating the single market. We're talking simple GCSE level demographics here....
    Last edited by Johnny Bognor; 28-06-2016 at 06:00 PM.

  29. #79

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,793

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    The remainers and remain campaign have been banging on about 500m throughout... and continue to do so.

    Let's quote from the horses mouth...
    http://www.strongerin.co.uk/get_the_facts

    Just scroll down to the bit that says....
    In the EU Single Market, over 1 million UK businesses trade without export or import charges, or paperwork, to 500 million customers in the EU (Sources: HMRC and Treasury).

    Population of the EU is 500 million aprox. The UK is 65 million approx. So I make the net benefit of 435 million 'consumers' available to the UK, aside from their own.

    However, no one really mentions this, but 66 million of these 435 million are in fact under 14 years of age and are not full on consumers. When was the last time you traded with a 3 year old?

    So we're really looking at 369 million teenage and adult consumers, that we lose the ability to sell to.

    The remainers have been massively overstating the single market. We're talking simple GCSE level demographics here....
    Does that balance out the £350million per week lie ?

  30. #80

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    A little island of red&white admidst a sea of blue
    Posts
    4,083

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Does that balance out the £350million per week lie ?
    We do send that gross. The lie is that we could spend that on the NHS. Only the net figure could be spent, but this has been discussed everywhere.

    The 66m babies and children that can't really be sold to slipped under the radar.

  31. #81

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    We do send that gross. The lie is that we could spend that on the NHS. Only the net figure could be spent, but this has been discussed everywhere.

    The 66m babies and children that can't really be sold to slipped under the radar.
    The gross never gets sent, only the net. Still a large amount of money but the only question is whether the cost of membership is worth it for the benefits.

  32. #82

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,242

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    We do send that gross. The lie is that we could spend that on the NHS. Only the net figure could be spent, but this has been discussed everywhere.

    The 66m babies and children that can't really be sold to slipped under the radar.
    Mothercare and Johnson & Johnson are going to be devastated they've got no customers.

  33. #83

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    The links were posted, both as hyperlinks and in full.Trying to disguise them with a hyperlink? That's right .

    The paper by the two PhD's obviously have too many words for you to bother with. You're the one with the "pre-determined viewpoint" and as I said, if you're not going to read the document I refer to, to support an argument I'm wasting my time engaging with you, apart from saying we have 12,000 customers in Germany. Bye, bye and I'll look forward to revisiting this topic in a year when the UK economy is flying, the EU is in the cr@pper and your teeth are still in a glass of water at night...
    I didn't see the links on my browser, make of that what you will.

    I read it. I don't know what a PhD has to do with anything.

    12,000? As I thought. So, if you're selling to Germany what's the problem?

  34. #84

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    The remainers and remain campaign have been banging on about 500m throughout... and continue to do so.

    Let's quote from the horses mouth...
    http://www.strongerin.co.uk/get_the_facts

    Just scroll down to the bit that says....
    In the EU Single Market, over 1 million UK businesses trade without export or import charges, or paperwork, to 500 million customers in the EU (Sources: HMRC and Treasury).

    Population of the EU is 500 million aprox. The UK is 65 million approx. So I make the net benefit of 435 million 'consumers' available to the UK, aside from their own.

    However, no one really mentions this, but 66 million of these 435 million are in fact under 14 years of age and are not full on consumers. When was the last time you traded with a 3 year old?

    So we're really looking at 369 million teenage and adult consumers, that we lose the ability to sell to.

    The remainers have been massively overstating the single market. We're talking simple GCSE level demographics here....
    How is the statement I made incorrect - because that's how I've heard it used. Its as a clear as day but you're fumbling in the dark.

    I was unaware of that website; compared to the deliberate, mendacious whoppers the out campaign were telling, it seems to be an innocent case of double-counting.

    I didn't realise the UK didn't have any under-15s it was a shorthand figure that, most importantly, was applied evenhandedly both to the UK and EU.

    With those groundrules established, a population of 53m (excluding under 15s) in the UK trades with a population of 370m in the EU (excluding the UK and under-15s), that market is still ~7x the UK market, not significantly lower than the ~7.8x (500:64) that you're getting your knickers in a twist over. Big deal. Principle stands.

    If you want to get technical and talk about saving and consumption behavoiur across different age groups rather your cute little effort you seem proud of we can do; or if you want to talk about gravity trade models and decades of empirical research that show how trade falls starkly with distance and singlehandedly undermine most of the dimwitted, wishful little nostrums of the out campaign that the UK PLC can look outwards and trade with the rest of the world, we can do but I worry I'll be accused of patronising you pal.

    #tiredofexperts
    Last edited by shurlock; 28-06-2016 at 09:46 PM.

  35. #85

    Default

    Listening to all the claims from the EU that the only difference with any deal will be take it or leave it and have no membership but all the things we voted against. My view is now that it would be a waste of time even negotiating with the EU. Activate article 50 and just leave after two years and manage the consequences. With nearly £100B annual trade deficit with the EU the UK is in a strong position. We don't trade, they don't trade. We pay tariffs, they pay tariffs. Playing hardball got them into this mess.

  36. #86

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Cusp of a wave
    Posts
    19,242

  37. #87

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    George Sander's sweet cesspool
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    I see that Angela Merkel has confirmed today in the Bundestag that (as far as she is concerned anyway) the UK will not be granted access to the EU Single Market without accepting the 'free movement' component of that concept. In truth this has been perfectly clear throughout the referendum campaign as some of us have pointed out. However, that did not stop some from attempting to dispute it of course ...

  38. #88

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPEL END CHARLIE View Post
    I see that Angela Merkel has confirmed today in the Bundestag that (as far as she is concerned anyway) the UK will not be granted access to the EU Single Market without accepting the 'free movement' component of that concept. In truth this has been perfectly clear throughout the referendum campaign as some of us have pointed out. However, that did not stop some from attempting to dispute it of course ...
    Living in dreamland to think otherwise.

  39. #89

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    West of Fareham
    Posts
    13,338

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CHAPEL END CHARLIE View Post
    I see that Angela Merkel has confirmed today in the Bundestag that (as far as she is concerned anyway) the UK will not be granted access to the EU Single Market without accepting the 'free movement' component of that concept. In truth this has been perfectly clear throughout the referendum campaign as some of us have pointed out. However, that did not stop some from attempting to dispute it of course ...
    If it's been perfectly clear them might as well activate article 50 and crack on with it. The people have made their choice, like you say perfectly clear.

  40. #90

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Bognor View Post
    It's factually correct to state that those outside the EU could trade with 500m consumers up until the point the UK leaves. After that, they would be trading with 440m consumers in the EU.

    From a UK perspective, trading with the EU does not open a market of 500m people, if in fact the UK comprises of 60m of those people. The net benefit to the UK is that there are 440m consumers that we could sell to without restriction, if we stayed inside the EU. The 60m consumers in the UK are open to trade in or outside the EU. This is fairly basic stuff to be honest.
    Just to be clear, is this the same 500 million people that Farage constantly told us could rock up on our shores at any minute?

  41. #91

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TwoPints View Post
    Just to be clear, is this the same 500 million people that Farage constantly told us could rock up on our shores at any minute?


    http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2...ampton-speech/

  42. #92

    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    George Sander's sweet cesspool
    Posts
    5,943

    Default

    Speaking of Farage, what a statesmanlike performance in the European Parliment today ...

  43. #93

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    3,929

    Default

    Ah, yes, the Heritage Foundation. It is not a "conservative" think tank. It is a corporate-funded institute (the Koch brothers, for example) that pretends to use scholarly research to push a neo-liberal agenda.

    "Free trade" is free for whom? Free trade doesn't promote sovereignty—just the opposite. If you look at NAFTA (the North American Free-Trade Agreement), for example, the dominant power (the U.S.) uses elements of the Agreement to weaken the cultural and environmental sovereignty of the weaker signatories (Canada and Mexico)—on behalf of its multi-national corporations.

  44. Default

    To be continued....

  45. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post
    Ah, yes, the Heritage Foundation. It is not a "conservative" think tank. It is a corporate-funded institute (the Koch brothers, for example) that pretends to use scholarly research to push a neo-liberal agenda.
    Total b0ll0x. To quote from their website:

    Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institution—a think tank—whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.

    Governed by an independent Board of Trustees, The Heritage Foundation is an independent, tax-exempt institution. Heritage relies on the private financial support of the general public—individuals, foundations, and corporations—for its income, and accepts no government funds and performs no contract work. Heritage is one of the nation’s largest public policy research organizations. Its hundreds of thousands of individual members make it the most broadly supported think tank in America.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton Saint View Post
    "Free trade" is free for whom? Free trade doesn't promote sovereignty—just the opposite. If you look at NAFTA (the North American Free-Trade Agreement), for example, the dominant power (the U.S.) uses elements of the Agreement to weaken the cultural and environmental sovereignty of the weaker signatories (Canada and Mexico)—on behalf of its multi-national corporations.
    Quite like the EU, then, except with no freedom of movement.

    Anyway, you didn't get to vote in the referendum, so back in your box...

  46. #96

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Total b0ll0x. To quote from their website:

    I'd suggest you stick to what you know, pal. The Heritage has long ditched it's dispassionate, scholary, conservative leanings and become a political attack dog for the Tea Party and hard right. Quoting it uncritically just makes you look a bit silly. Which is a surprise no one.

  47. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    I'd suggest you stick to what you know, pal. The Heritage has long ditched it's dispassionate, scholary, conservative leanings and become a political attack dog for the Tea Party and hard right. Quoting it uncritically just makes you look a bit silly. Which is a surprise no one.
    Hamilton was saying it is a neo-liberal institution, you're saying it is neo-conservative. I am not really arguing with you, as you may be right, but our Canadian pensioner is wrong, either way. The only thing I took from the site was (in my opinion) an excellent paper published by two PhD's about the need for a trade deal if the UK exits the EU, one which I bet you haven't read, pal....
    PS. It's scholarly, BTW. You know...it means the ability to spell.

  48. #98

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Rothschild and Soros HQ
    Posts
    20,139
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Hamilton was saying it is a neo-liberal institution, you're saying it is neo-conservative. I am not really arguing with you, as you may be right, but our Canadian pensioner is wrong, either way. The only thing I took from the site was (in my opinion) an excellent paper published by two PhD's about the need for a trade deal if the UK exits the EU, one which I bet you haven't read, pal....
    PS. It's scholarly, BTW. You know...it means the ability to spell.
    I am aware how it's spelt. No it means the ability to understand one's sources, recognise their limitations and think critically through their implications. In essence, the exact opposite to what you've done on this thread, pal.

  49. #99

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Hamilton was saying it is a neo-liberal institution, you're saying it is neo-conservative. I am not really arguing with you, as you may be right, but our Canadian pensioner is wrong, either way. The only thing I took from the site was (in my opinion) an excellent paper published by two PhD's about the need for a trade deal if the UK exits the EU, one which I bet you haven't read, pal....
    PS. It's scholarly, BTW. You know...it means the ability to spell.
    Wouldn't that be 'orthography'? I suppose only the scholarly would know that

  50. #100

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Berkshire
    Posts
    8,884

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by derry View Post
    Listening to all the claims from the EU that the only difference with any deal will be take it or leave it and have no membership but all the things we voted against. My view is now that it would be a waste of time even negotiating with the EU. Activate article 50 and just leave after two years and manage the consequences. With nearly £100B annual trade deficit with the EU the UK is in a strong position. We don't trade, they don't trade. We pay tariffs, they pay tariffs. Playing hardball got them into this mess.
    I think most OUTERS with any economic knowledge that of course does not include Farage think the consequences will be horrific so are not taking your advice

    It is the foreign investment which is key because if it continues as it has your scenario is probably correct but if it is not there is less employment being in the single market is key I just cannot emphasise it enough it is the largest single market in the world and will grow even when we leave.

    I knowit is exhilarating to win: to sit up in the palm tree, survey the turmoil below and feel a sense of empowerment. After a while though, a palm tree is an uncomfortable place. It’s easy to poke holes in the status quo. It’s easy to promise people the moon (assuming one has the requisite pragmatic attitude to telling the truth). But now the Leave camp must lead both its supporters and the British people as a whole down from the palm tree. The problem is there is no ladder. More fundamentally there is no clarity whether to go North, South, East or West of the tree.

    So far all the Bexiteers have managed to do is to own up that many promises will remain unfilled. But that will have to change soon. Otherwise, like a coconut, one simply falls out of the tree.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •