• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Personally I would avoid it, but if the cheaper end of the market is dominated by US imports then those people for whom price is the predominant factor would not have a choice. And the issue is not with the chlorine itself, it is the "dirty" abbatoir practices that exist in the US that the chlorine is covering up.

Also, if the chicken was used in processed foods, would they tell you?

It would probably be on a label in type about 1mm high.

Can anyone believe a word he says?

"The US president sparked an almighty row when he said that the “NHS or anything else, a lot more than that” would be in the sights of US firms in any deal.

But later on Tuesday he directly contradicted himself, saying instead that “I don’t see it being on the table”.

In an interview with ITV, Mr Trump added: “Somebody asked me a question today, and I say, ‘Everything’s up for negotiation’, because everything is, but I don’t see that being – that’s something that I would not consider part of trade.

“That’s not trade.”

Go too America and see what you think of the health care.

My mate had a blood clot, they wanted a cheque for 8k before they even thought about saving his life.

Lovely stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On the other side... I have met a couple of Americans in international cruises who have benefited on separate occasions from the NHS. Both were expecting and fully prepared to pay for their treatment but in all cases payment was refused. They were very impressed.

I was at a company on an industrial estate in Atlanta one evening and one of the cleaners suddenly felt ill. The paramedics were called out and would not take him to hospital until he positively confirmed that he wanted to go and they were satisfied that his cleaning company would pay. Our Canadian colleagues said that in Canada they would take you to hospital by default unless you signed a waiver otherwise.

Incidentally the American paramedics were enormous, each was the size of a pickup truck.

Edited by Whitey Grandad

On the other side... I have met a couple of Americans in international cruises who have benefited on separate occasions from the NHS. Both were expecting and fully prepared to pay for their treatment but in all cases payment was refused. They were very impressed.

I was at a company on an industrial estate in Atlanta one evening and one of the cleaners suddenly felt ill. The paramedics were called out and would not take him to hospital until he positively confirmed that he wanted to go and they were satisfied that his cleaning company would pay. Our Canadian colleagues said that in Canada they would take you to hospital by default unless you signed a waiver otherwise.

Incidentally the American paramedics were enormous, each was the size of a pickup truck.

Crazy world. This is why the NHS must be protected, for all the waiting times and other little moans, it’s one of the best systems in the world. They don’t care who you are, if you had a heart attack in the street, you’d receive the same level of treatment. [emoji1303]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Survey evidence shows that there is minimal support among the public for deregulation; there is support for consumer, financial, environmental and employment standards among a large majority of remainers and leavers and indeed in some areas there is support for stricter standards.

https://www.ippr.org/files/2018-02/1519061948_leaving-the-eu-not-the-european-model-part1-feb18.pdf

Brexiteers have played a blinder by turning Brexit into an end in itself and de-emphasising the type of country they want to emerge once the UK allegedly takes back control.

Yep, and there’s ample evidence of it on this thread as well. Why are we going to get a good deal with Trump when 1) the current trade arrangements leave the UK with a big surplus with the US and b) from a President and his loony followers who push an ‘America First’ agenda.

Can anyone see any potential problems here, especially in respect of significant American corporate involvement in the NHS?

Not quite what most of the 17m voted for in respect of taking back control is it?

Trump is bloody clever and isn't missing a trick here. Fully supports us leaving the EU, obviously, as it makes it far easier for him to come and pillage us with his 'trade deals' and try get his grubby hands into the NHS trough.

He is America first and couldn't give a ****e about us, and is going to happily bully whatever little pimpsqueak we get in power after May.

If there is anyone out there, that eats Chinese I am afraid the chlorinated chicken comes via Asia. It is frozen in Asia, then sent to The Netherlands where it is defrosted, chlorinated and refrozen then sent to EU countries to Chinese restaurants. Apparently, it’s to gain the chicken texture and whiteness the Chinese like. My source is a Chinese food buyer for Chinese restaurants in the West Country.

Just for your info, here in Portugal, the chicken in a Chinese restaurant is no different to that in the UK so again chlorinated.

If there is anyone out there, that eats Chinese I am afraid the chlorinated chicken comes via Asia. It is frozen in Asia, then sent to The Netherlands where it is defrosted, chlorinated and refrozen then sent to EU countries to Chinese restaurants. Apparently, it’s to gain the chicken texture and whiteness the Chinese like. My source is a Chinese food buyer for Chinese restaurants in the West Country.

Just for your info, here in Portugal, the chicken in a Chinese restaurant is no different to that in the UK so again chlorinated.

Give me the suppliers name and I'll report it. Its been illegal for 20 years.

Give me the suppliers name and I'll report it. Its been illegal for 20 years.

The company in question is a family company that buys direct from Holland under EU regs. No, I am not willing to give the name of the UK company. I completely believe the family company as they are friends and have been for many years. It is a dishonest EU regulation as so many are. I am joining in a conversation in good faith, unfortunately, as with many things and to quote a typical footie quote “you don’t know what you are doing” or we really, really do not know what is going on. I too was shocked.

12-02-2018, 01:35 PM - On a date that Romans historically settled their debts, it seems to be, yet again, a time for political and economic upheaval. This time, it will be the EU, not the Roman empire that will be affected. You see, no amount of cheap credit and an artificially strong currency will hide the systemic problems affecting the Italian economy. Italy could be heading into deep political crisis after voters go to the polls on March 4. Italy’s la dolce vita is at stake. The supposed ‘good life’ which the Italian economy has enjoyed since the European Central Bank slashed rates down to zero in 2012 and flooded the market with cheap credit, could come to an untimely end. Italian investors could be heading into a bloodbath, leaving the euro facing another existential crisis. Of course, the country is no stranger to political instability. It has changed governments 65 times since the second world war.

The betting is that there will be a lurch to the right, particularly amongst younger voters, who have the opposite view to our pampered and spoilt youth, with regard to the benefits of belonging to the EU. At least one-third of young Italians under the age of 25 are out of work and unsurprisingly they have a deep distrust of their government and establishment parties. Right now, the populist Five Star Movement has a slight lead in the polls and if they set up a coalition with the Northern League, it could spell curtains for the euro. Their leader Matteo Salvini has even gone so far as to call the euro a ‘German currency’ which has damaged Italy’s economy, arguing the case to abandon the euro altogether. Forgetting the elections in Italy in March, who seriously thinks that the Euro will survive for long, when the debts of southern Europe become unsustainable? Alan Greenspan, the former Chair of the US Federal Reserve, back in February didn't. He believes the Euro will collapse and the ECB Mario Draghi should come clean on the state of the Eurozone economy. "Northern Europe has, in effect, been funding the deficits of the South; that cannot continue indefinitely. The Eurozone is not working,” says Greenspan. "Brexit is not the end of the set of problems, which I always thought were going to start with the euro because the euro is a very serious problem."

Still, maybe Italy is too big to fail, like Deutsche Bank. Luckily the UK won't be involved in the bailouts, that must certainly be coming. If and when the euro fails, what is the value in a free-trade agreement with the EU?

Always nice to be in the first lifeboat...

Today's news here sounds like I was bang on the money.

This money:

mini-bot_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQTp7o6dr1BBIMNNg-CgNBx92I-kc6iw2fUYSmTn4dPU.jpg?imwidth=1400

Today's news here sounds like I was bang on the money.

This money:

mini-bot_trans_NvBQzQNjv4BqQTp7o6dr1BBIMNNg-CgNBx92I-kc6iw2fUYSmTn4dPU.jpg?imwidth=1400

https://www.ft.com/content/aca3c80a-86ac-11e9-97ea-05ac2431f453

"“[These] motions have no practical implications,” said Mr Monacelli. “They are suggestions to the government, nothing more.”

Some MPs reportedly admitted voting for the motion without being aware of its contents; analysts have warned against interpreting the vote as an expression of the parliament’s intent.

Mr Messori said: “I think this parliamentary motion was just an accident.”"

"the “practical implications [of the vote are] substantially zero,” said Nicola Nobile, an economist at Oxford Economics."

"So last week’s vote may have been merely symbolic — but for Italy’s emboldened Eurosceptics, however, it was a morale boost"

• 2 weeks later...

Ease migration rules for Indians to win post-Brexit deals, say MPs

The government must make it easier for Indians to come to Britain to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with one of the world’s fastest growing economies, a group of MPs have said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/24/ease-migration-rules-for-indians-to-win-post-brexit-deals-say-mps

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

The government must make it easier for Indians to come to Britain to secure a post-Brexit trade deal with one of the world’s fastest growing economies, a group of MPs have said.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/24/ease-migration-rules-for-indians-to-win-post-brexit-deals-say-mps

So much for gaining control of our borders.

Remember that one of the main obstacles to an EU-India trade deal has been the UK’s opposition to more relaxed rules on migration. Bureaucratic, sclerotic EU blah blah blah.

I was having a chat with a barrister (social lol ) and he told me that London was the centre for corporate law, the French are now setting up their own courts that are English speaking so that they can woo this business away from the UK post brexit.

All the UK will be fine and the City will be safe before the vote is becoming as true as the 350m on the side of a bus

I was having a chat with a barrister (social lol ) and he told me that London was the centre for corporate law, the French are now setting up their own courts that are English speaking so that they can woo this business away from the UK post brexit.

All the UK will be fine and the City will be safe before the vote is becoming as true as the 350m on the side of a bus

What a load of cr@p. It's up to the two parties to decide the jurisdiction under which any contractual dispute is heard and it is generally determined in any contract that is agreed. Given that French law is based on a totally different system to most of the English speaking world, this will never happen.

The French set up this court a year ago, there are others in Europe as well. It's common knowledge to anyone who can read really.

https://economia.icaew.com/opinion/february-2018/paris-opens-english-speaking-court

:mcinnes:

Did you only look at the picture?

Everyone knows Ford is in trouble and has been for years. More importantly how do you account for Jaguar Landrover, Nissan, Honda and BMW Mini moving production out of Britain? All a coincidence, nothing to do with Brexit innit?

Old News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48787165

Ford plans to have shed six manufacturing plants by the end of next year. These include:

• The proposed closure of the Bridgend Engine Plant in south Wales
  • The closure of the Ford Aquitaine Industries Transmission Plant in France
  • The closure of the Naberezhnye Chelny Assembly, St Petersburg Assembly and Elabuga Engine Plant in Russia
  • The sale of the Kechnec Transmission Plant in Slovakia to Magna.

The company is also carrying out shift reductions at its assembly plants in Saarlouis, Germany, and Valencia, Spain.

Old News

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48787165

Ford plans to have shed six manufacturing plants by the end of next year. These include:

• The proposed closure of the Bridgend Engine Plant in south Wales
  • The closure of the Ford Aquitaine Industries Transmission Plant in France
  • The closure of the Naberezhnye Chelny Assembly, St Petersburg Assembly and Elabuga Engine Plant in Russia
  • The sale of the Kechnec Transmission Plant in Slovakia to Magna.

The company is also carrying out shift reductions at its assembly plants in Saarlouis, Germany, and Valencia, Spain.

Apparently the average US customer wants a bigger truck or SUV, none of yer wimpy European made rubbish then!!

Apparently the average US customer wants a bigger truck or SUV, none of yer wimpy European made rubbish then!!

Its because Ford used to be the market leader and their cars were ubiquitous. Buyers now often associate Ford with their dad's car or grandads car when they were growing up. The cars themselves are mostly really good - but people mostly dont buy on quality anymore, brand and image is everything.

Edited by buctootim

I wonder how many of the stupid fcks that work there voted Brexit. Don’t worry Farage will look after you

If it's anything like the Honda plant in Swindon, it's a lot.

I heard an interview with a couple that recently lost their house as they both worked at Honda and we're made redundant. They voted Brexit, and they said that even now, they'd vote Brexit again.

Mind boggling.

I heard an interview with a couple that recently lost their house as they both worked at Honda and we're made redundant. They voted Brexit, and they said that even now, they'd vote Brexit again.

Mind boggling.

Such altruism

Mind boggling.

Honda were quite clear that their decision had nothing to do with Brexit.

Unlike Ford, who closed Swaythling and transferred Transit production to Turkey as they had been given a pot load of money from the good old EU to do it.

Mind boggling.

Unlike Ford, who closed Swaythling and transferred Transit production to Turkey as they had been given a pot load of money from the good old EU to do it.

Mind boggling.

Ford were not "given money". They had to borrow it like everybody else.

Honda would always say that in public, that is the Japanese way. Privately they are seething.

Mind boggling.

Honda moved because the Japanese trade agreement with the EU meant they could import cars for a similar (although still slightly higher) price to building them in the UK (due to the way that we subsidise them). These costs would obviously be higher once we left the EU and meant costs would increase for Honda over and above the break-even point with the new EU deal. Add in the continued Brexit uncertainty and there is no doubt Brexit played a part. It wasn't the only reason, but it was one.

Honda moved because the Japanese trade agreement with the EU meant they could import cars for a similar (although still slightly higher) price to building them in the UK (due to the way that we subsidise them). These costs would obviously be higher once we left the EU and meant costs would increase for Honda over and above the break-even point with the new EU deal. Add in the continued Brexit uncertainty and there is no doubt Brexit played a part. It wasn't the only reason, but it was one.

And yet you singled out just one reason and didn't even mention any of the others.

Mind boggling.

And yet you singled out just one reason and didn't even mention any of the others.

Mind boggling.

Because we were talking in relation to Brexit - this is the Brexit thread isn't it? I have acknowledged that there were other reasons, so what are the needs to mention them by name?

Mind numbing.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

He says British sales might go up if there is a resolution to Brexit - ie an end to uncertainty, not JLR sales overall will go up. And even then he admits its an optimistic one side, not objective view.

So, thinking positively, you could say that any resolution to the Brexit impasse could help us emerge into a more favourable mindset, possibly even with pricing advantages for anyone building their cars in Britain,” he said.

“It’s a one-sided view,” said Glover, “but my job is to sell Jaguars and Land Rovers in the UK"

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction