Page 225 of 244 FirstFirst ... 125175215223224225226227235 ... LastLast
Results 11,201 to 11,250 of 12163

Thread: Post EU - The Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Yeah, because walking down to the village hall and putting a cross on a bit of paper takes real bottle

I didn’t bother voting because among other reasons, I was on the fence. Still am to a degree, can’t stand the EU yet leaving has proved to be more hassle than its worth. Think you need to calm down a bit as well sweetie.
    I'm assuming you didn't vote either way as you didn't understand either argument, leave or remain, and struggled to read the side of the bus.

“Share oxygen with wastrels like yourself” quite an angry tone of voice considering you know nothing about me.
    No it's not, not if you've read this thread and seen my general responses to fools.

I know enough about you that you fit squarely into that bracket.

3. Default

Yeah, because walking down to the village hall and putting a cross on a bit of paper takes real bottle

I didnít bother voting because among other reasons, I was on the fence. Still am to a degree, canít stand the EU yet leaving has proved to be more hassle than its worth. Think you need to calm down a bit as well sweetie.
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to go and vote but you still couldn't bring yourself to do it. Gutless.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Yeah, it's pretty easy to go and vote but you still couldn't bring yourself to do it. Gutless.
    Stupid, and a pussy. This guy's going places

To be honest my heart said leave but I’m doing pretty well, have a good job, nice detached house in a leafy part of Hampshire so there was no real desire for change. Hence I chose not to vote.

Is that so hard to understand, even for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    I'm assuming you didn't vote either way as you didn't understand either argument, leave or remain, and struggled to read the side of the bus.

You still sound bitter.

Are you sure you got sacked because of Brexit and not because you spent all day posting cr@p on here instead of working?

I thought there had already been a vote against a No Deal Brexit so what difference is having another one going to make?

You still sound bitter.

Are you sure you got sacked because of Brexit and not because you spent all day posting cr@p on here instead of working?
    I didn't get sacked, try again.

To be honest my heart said leave but I’m doing pretty well, have a good job, nice detached house in a leafy part of Hampshire so there was no real desire for change. Hence I chose not to vote.

#humblebrag

10. Default

To be honest my heart said leave but Iím doing pretty well, have a good job, nice detached house in a leafy part of Hampshire so there was no real desire for change. Hence I chose not to vote.

But you were on this thread a lot before the vote and still here now.

So yes, it is hard to understand. If you're not fussed, fine. My missus isn't fussed, she's sick of me watching the news all the time. Guess what, she still voted in the biggest decision this country has made since WW2.

It's a football forum, go off and talk about football on another thread. You want to talk Brexit then your gutlessness will be brought up by me when I feel like it because it bears repeating and is relevant.

But you were on this thread a lot before the vote and still here now.

So yes, it is hard to understand. If you're not fussed, fine. My missus isn't fussed, she's sick of me watching the news all the time. Guess what, she still voted in the biggest decision this country has made since WW2.

It's a football forum, go off and talk about football on another thread. You want to talk Brexit then your gutlessness will be brought up by me when I feel like it because it bears repeating and is relevant.

You still need to explain why it takes courage to vote, where do you live, Baghdad?

12. Default

Peston reckons a no-deal Brexit in May/June is on the cards...

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/0...-not-just-yet/

It appears that the EU elections will not be settled until the Autumn as they have to fill all the top posts and it’s a complete change. Apparently they don’t want to be bothered with the UK indecision whilst they have this going on. It’s more likely that the Eu would prefer an extension past the Autumn when their new ministers are settled in.

This could create more problems for the Uk as more and more indecision going on. Let’s face it, if the parliament couldn’t get it right over two years what bloody hope is there even for another year.

Some young people on tv tonight said they were losing the will to live. Probably the most sensible comment I have heard this year over brexit!
    Last edited by Portugalsaint; 12-03-2019 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    Well then they're just idiots. They just need to ask any expat who has residual income from the UK, let alone those who retired to Spain and Portugal with no local income whatsoever. I know a few, they're nigh on 20% down now. Some have even had to get loans from their kids instead of the usual vice-versa.
    I can believe this WC. I know people who came out to Portugal on the assumption that the pound would remain 1.48 euros to the UK£! When it dropped to 1.32 in 2011 some went back to the Uk. I find it difficult to understand how people could rely on anything less than 1 : 1.

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post
    Peston reckons a no-deal Brexit in May/June is on the cards...

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/0...-not-just-yet/
    But the EU are desperate to not see a hard border in Ireland - they can't be seen to be the ones that made it happen.

16. Default

You still need to explain why it takes courage to vote, where do you live, Baghdad?
    I didn't say it took courage to vote. I said you were gutless.

17. Default

But the EU are desperate to not see a hard border in Ireland - they can't be seen to be the ones that made it happen.
    Today is the the day the government outline what no deal actually means.

The ERG will soon learn it will not be all their dreams come true because the border will still have to be respected. They have all rejected the horrible old backstop so that means they will have to accept one of the alternatives like a border down the Irish sea instead. No deal doesn't make the problem go away.

Which is kind of why David Davis sucked up the May deal yesterday. He can see what's coming, and he's thick as s hit.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47542011

Oh well, more "reap what you sew" issues for Sunderland...

19. Default

No it's not, not if you've read this thread and seen my general responses to fools.

I know enough about you that you fit squarely into that bracket.
    Your incredible deduction worked out I have no kids. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Your incredible deduction worked out I have no kids. Great work.
    Mainly because I couldn't believe someone with children couldn't care less if babies died or not.

That's on you mate, not me.

Can anyone - including Jeff, the certified loony - argue that this is not a sensible plan?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47551266

Surely this is what we should have been focusing on when it became clear that the EU were / are never going to negotiate further and May's deal was dead in the water? Perhaps if this was highlighted earlier in the process it could have saved a lot of businesses a lot of unnecessary costs?

Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post
    Can anyone - including Jeff, the certified loony - argue that this is not a sensible plan?

Surely this is what we should have been focusing on when it became clear that the EU were / are never going to negotiate further and May's deal was dead in the water? Perhaps if this was highlighted earlier in the process it could have saved a lot of businesses a lot of unnecessary costs?
    It's a sensible plan for the people of this country in regards to imports. It'll blow a big hole in public finances - depending how big the tax implications of the lost tariffs are - but that's fine, we can just make further cuts, because as I'm sure we can all agree, austerity hasn't gone far enough. Imported cars and meats will cost us more, but that's not a big deal, we can buy old Rover's and will end up eating chlorinated chicken anyway. There is also the fact that with further cuts to tariffs, it means manufacturers in this country are going to be more squeezed in those areas, but then we don't really care about UK manufacturing anyway - why do we need to make ****?

However, perhaps you can answer what happens with our Exports to the rest of the World in the event of a No-deal?
    Last edited by Unbelievable Jeff; 13-03-2019 at 07:47 AM.

New poll showing 61% remain now!

Quote Originally Posted by Weston Super Saint View Post

But the Director General of the CBI says "These are being imposed on this country with no consultation with business with no time to prepare. This is no way to run a country,"

25. Default

Mainly because I couldn't believe someone with children couldn't care less if babies died or not.

That's on you mate, not me.
    Unmoved is not the same as couldnít care less.
    Helps your polarised world as good guys v bad guys no doubt

Unmoved is not the same as couldn’t care less.
    Helps your polarised world as good guys v bad guys no doubt
    Fine, you're unmoved if any babies die. Makes you seem more caring

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    But the Director General of the CBI says "These are being imposed on this country with no consultation with business with no time to prepare. This is no way to run a country,"
    And yet, lower down in the same article, Adam Marshall, Director General of the British Chamber of Commerce tells us that the government had listened to businesses.

Who does one believe? The DG of the CBI? The DG of theBCC? Or the BBC journalist?

I’m starting to think all of this is a bit of a kerfuffle.

DUP won't though, I wouldn't have thought, and they're the Kingmakers...
    Depends, yesterday there were 242 for and 75 conservatives against . 633 total votants. Must have been 17 abstentionists or non- presents then.

So if the 75 conservative againsters voted for and everything else remained the same that would give 317 of 633, ie a majority.
    Think there was at least 1 conservative absentee for personal reason so if the rebels all came into line the government could win without the DUP.
    Last edited by Window Cleaner; 13-03-2019 at 09:10 AM.

Depends, yesterday there were 242 for and 75 conservatives against . 633 total votants. Must have been 17 abstentionists or non- presents then.

So if the 75 conservative againsters voted for and everything else remained the same that would give 317 of 633, ie a majority.
    Think there was at least 1 conservative absentee for personal reason so if the rebels all came into line the government could win without the DUP.
    And as CB rightly says, if Labour MPs see ERG going that way a few will defy the whip.

And as CB rightly says, if Labour MPs see ERG going that way a few will defy the whip.
    3 already did I believe. Can't remember the exact details but I expect they were representing big leave constituencies.

32. Default

Fine, you're unmoved if any babies die. Makes you seem more caring
    Have you stopped sobbing or honest enough to understand your posturing on forums isnít a window to your soul?

How many tragedies today have Ďmovedí you?

Have you stopped sobbing or honest enough to understand your posturing on forums isn’t a window to your soul?

How many tragedies today have ‘moved’ you?
    What are you on about? I said it was tragic that a baby died. You said you were unmoved by it - not even that it was a sad piece of news - just that you were completely unmoved by it.

What are your 'red lines' (trying to keep on topic) for the death of a baby to be tragic? Do you have to know them? Do they have to be white?
    Last edited by Unbelievable Jeff; 13-03-2019 at 11:38 AM.

34. Default

What are you on about? I said it was tragic that a baby died. You said you were unmoved by it - not even that it was a sad piece of news - just that you were completely unmoved by it.

What are your 'red lines' (trying to keep on topic) for the death of a baby to be tragic? Do you have to know them? Do they have to be white?
    Some things move me some things donít. Itís not a matrix thing.

You though took this to mean that I donít have children and even wanted to push the question with some smug opining that lovely daddy yourself understands how innocent babies are and you feel like that because you have fathered a child.

Some things move me some things don’t. It’s not a matrix thing.

You though took this to mean that I don’t have children and even wanted to push the question with some smug opining that lovely daddy yourself understands how innocent babies are and you feel like that because you have fathered a child.
    No - it was so I could understand if you had an excuse for it, or whether you're just a really **** person. Unfortunately it seems like it's the second one - I had hoped for better.

If it's not a matrix thing, then why couldn't I feel that death was tragic without pedantic questioning from yourself?

Rumours that Farage, and his far right MEP friends, will block any extension to Article 50.

May's deal wins.

Blog Entries

Rumours that Farage, and his far right MEP friends, will block any extension to Article 50.

May's deal wins.

How would Farage and his MEP friends block an extension to Article 50?

3 already did I believe. Can't remember the exact details but I expect they were representing big leave constituencies.
    It isn't a new trend. These are the very same three who have already voted against the Labour Party line on more than one occasion. They are the Labour equivalent of Soubry, Grieve, Wollaston, etc, except that as pro-brexiteers they won't be joining the so-called Independent Group. It is a real pity that there are MPs of principle like these, who accept their obligation to honour the result of the referendum and the wishes of their local constituents, whereas the majority of their fellow MPs in their party couldn't care a toss for what their constituents want on this issue. CB Fry is extremely naive if he thinks that if many in the ERG got behind May's deal, then many Labour MPs would follow. The ERG isn't going to fold on May's deal whilst the backstop protocol doesn't contain a legally binding get-out clause.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    It isn't a new trend. These are the very same three who have already voted against the Labour Party line on more than one occasion. They are the Labour equivalent of Soubry, Grieve, Wollaston, etc, except that as pro-brexiteers they won't be joining the so-called Independent Group. It is a real pity that there are MPs of principle like these, who accept their obligation to honour the result of the referendum and the wishes of their local constituents, whereas the majority of their fellow MPs in their party couldn't care a toss for what their constituents want on this issue. CB Fry is extremely naive if he thinks that if many in the ERG got behind May's deal, then many Labour MPs would follow. The ERG isn't going to fold on May's deal whilst the backstop protocol doesn't contain a legally binding get-out clause.
    Afternoon Les. Looking forward to tonight's vote?

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Quite... but why the assumption that if there's no May deal, and no no deal, and no extension, that there's a 3rd vote for May's deal? It's probable, but there are other options.

Influencing their own member states - the far right countries in the EU.

He can't technically, so Jeff's assertion is idiotic. However, Farage was on his feet in the EU Parliament in Strasbourg this morning baiting them that unless they wanted to have him and many more Eurosceptic MEPs doing their best to disrupt proceedings in the EU, then they would do themselves and us a favour by not allowing us any extension to Article 50 which would take us past the date when we would have to hold elections to the European Parliament.

Appears he has been touring Italy trying to agree a position with Italian MEPs where they vote to block Article 50 extension in the European Parliament.

Sounds pretty close to the actual literal definition of treason, as opposed to the version of treason Brexiteers like to shout about.

Doubt anything will be done about it though.

Blog Entries

Here is one for you all, given where we are with regards to the 52/48 ref results and political quagmire:

Would you rather have no deal Brexit or May's Brexit?

Ultimately, unless a better deal comes along, that is a likely choice to be made by the end of the extension.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post
    Here is one for you all, given where we are with regards to the 52/48 ref results and political quagmire:

Ultimately, unless a better deal comes along, that is a likely choice to be made by the end of the extension.
    May's Brexit - every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Saint86 View Post

Personally, no deal. Much better to negotiate without wearing a noose than with.

I need to understand more on it, but Malthouse B may well rear it's head this evening.

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    He can't technically, so Jeff's assertion is idiotic. However, Farage was on his feet in the EU Parliament in Strasbourg this morning baiting them that unless they wanted to have him and many more Eurosceptic MEPs doing their best to disrupt proceedings in the EU, then they would do themselves and us a favour by not allowing us any extension to Article 50 which would take us past the date when we would have to hold elections to the European Parliament.
    As if he would actually stand any chance of getting re-elected as an MEP, the shameless, self-important pr!ck.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Shandy_Top_89 View Post
    Appears he has been touring Italy trying to agree a position with Italian MEPs where they vote to block Article 50 extension in the European Parliament.

Sounds pretty close to the actual literal definition of treason, as opposed to the version of treason Brexiteers like to shout about.

Doubt anything will be done about it though.
    My limited understanding is that extension of Article 50 requires unanimous agreement in the European Council which made up of 27 heads of state. The European Parliament is not involved in this process.

Afternoon Les. Looking forward to tonight's vote?
    Afternoon "little fella" Shurlock. Yes, very much looking forward to it. These are quite the most interesting and stimulating political times that I can remember in my adult lifetime. Never before has their been such a major disconnect between the electorate and their elected representatives on such a major issue. The electorate are heartily fed up with the whole thing and are going to be very angry if Brexit is seriously delayed, watered down or scuppered.

After tonight's and tomorrow's votes, if no deal is taken off the table and Brexit is delayed, then it will become crystal clear which MPs voted for those things. They are the ones who need to think about their future careers when they are thrown out at the next election. Unless the Conservatives under May or her successor can deliver an acceptable Brexit, their future as a party of government is over for the forseeable future. The same for Labour. We are already seeing the shifting tectonic plates in our political system with the newly formed Independent Group and the Brexit Party. It wouldn't surprise me to see further developments involving the two major parties splitting or forming inter party alliances.

But I am of the belief that Brexit will still happen via us leaving on WTO terms, either on 29th March, or a few months later before we are obliged to put up candidates for the European Elections.