Page 245 of 251 FirstFirst ... 145195235243244245246247 ... LastLast
Results 12,201 to 12,250 of 12509

Thread: Post EU - The Way Forward

I think the answer is quite simple.

Draw a few lines around somewhere in the UK. Not in one of the knee-capping, bomby parts but in some unmissed area with a lot of leavers (the north, or suchlike).

We then construct a hard border around that area and declare it independent. Anyone who wants to Brexit can **** off to that part and everyone else can get on with their lives.

Democratic, fair and forward-thinking. #votebenjii

Quote Originally Posted by Wes Tender View Post
    You maintain that you thought that the Referendum vote should be respected and then in the next breath you want it rerun. You seem to be a bit confused. As I said, you are not a democrat. The whole balls up has happened because people like you, Shurlock, Jeff and Timmy and other remoaners on here have their equivalents in Parliament who cannot bring themselves to respect the wish of their constituents and deliver Brexit, so they have fought to delay it at every stage in the hope that pressure would grow to drop it, or think again.

80% of the electorate who voted in the 2017 GE, voted for parties who pledged to honour the referendum decision.

Regarding your fantasy of a second/third vote, what would the question be? Remain cannot be on the ballot, as that had already been defeated, so I suggest leave on Mays "deal", or leave on WTO terms. Sounds fair enough, doesn't it? No doubt you not being a democrat, would like to have remain, May's deal or WTO, so that the leave vote is conveniently split by an establishment stitch-up.

But there will be no rerun of the Referendum, as it has already been decided, promises having been made beforehand that the result would be respected, a simple majority being all that is required.
    What happened in your formative years to produce such a bitter personality ?

But there will be no rerun of the Referendum........
    Worth a "cheeky insurance bet" ?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    Worth a "cheeky insurance bet" ?
    Both Les and Jihadi John got it spectacularly wrong - they told us wed be out on March 29. When JJ wasnt stockpiling piano wire, he was furiously claiming that any other outcome was a constitutional impossibility. So yeh given their track record, maybe worth their while placing a cheeky insurance bet.

Quote Originally Posted by moonraker View Post
    Today's poll will almost certainly see the BREXIT (party) Limited gain the most votes and MEPS. However if the combined popular vote for Remain parties equals or exceeds the combined popular vote of the right wing nasty parties I will be happy. Votes for the Tories and Labour can be discounted as both will have remainers and leavers voting for them, because many the rump who do vote for them today will never vote for anyone else no matter what was at stake party before country. Farages BREXIT (party) Limited is down to his base support, what is so disappointing is that means about a third of the people in our country are racist, nationalistic and bigoted.
    LOL

Wes, remember this ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...endum-36306681
    There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.
    "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."

7. Default

But there will be no rerun of the Referendum
    I agree with Wes; there should be no rerun of the 2016 referendum. There should be a new/different referendum.

(Any danger that this agreeing with each other malarkey might catch on in Saintsweb land? )
    Last edited by trousers; 23-05-2019 at 02:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Les, Labour rejected a no-deal/WTO Brexit in its manifesto, so perhaps you should stop quoting the 80% figure and reading into the referendum and GE results the type of extreme Brexit that only swivels like you support.
    Labour pledged to honour the referendum decision, so leave voters felt safe in voting for them, believing that they were would honour that commitment. They now realise that they were duped and many will be voting for The Brexit Party to punish them. As far as I know, nowhere did they mention anything about a second/third referendum in that manifesto, but no doubt you will correct me if I'm mistaken.

A clean Brexit on WTO terms is now the most popular outcome with the electorate, despite the Remoaner media claiming that it will be a disaster, so the swivels are now in a majority. Sit and weep

Wes, remember this ?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politi...endum-36306681
    There could be unstoppable demand for a re-run of the EU referendum if Remain wins by a narrow margin on 23 June, UKIP leader Nigel Farage has said.
    "In a 52-48 referendum this would be unfinished business by a long way. If the Remain campaign win two-thirds to one-third that ends it."
    So what would satisfy you anti-democrats? Best of three? Best of five? We leavers have had to endure over 40 years of EEC/EU membership before being allowed a further referendum, but you Remoaners wanted another one literally months after the last one and before we had even left.

Blog Entries

Labour pledged to honour the referendum decision, so leave voters felt safe in voting for them, believing that they were would honour that commitment. They now realise that they were duped and many will be voting for The Brexit Party to punish them. As far as I know, nowhere did they mention anything about a second/third referendum in that manifesto, but no doubt you will correct me if I'm mistaken.

A clean Brexit on WTO terms is now the most popular outcome with the electorate, despite the Remoaner media claiming that it will be a disaster, so the swivels are now in a majority. Sit and weep
    Yes and honouring the referendum result is compatible with a variety of outcomes - hence why a Brexiteer like Michael Gove could happily vote for the WA. I too would support it if it ensured some form of closure and exit from this mess. The problem is that this doesn’t satisfy your narrow and arguably undemocratic vision of Brexit, even though it was soundly rejected by the Labour manifesto which you’re now attempting to invoke as support for your position. Next time I hope you exercise a bit more care and honesty in your statements pal.

The Tory manifesto promised “a smooth, orderly Brexit” and “a deep and special partnership” with the EU. Labour pledged “retaining the benefits” of the single market and customs union. (David Smith, The Times)

A WTO Brexit (no such thing) would be an unmitigated disaster. No claiming necessary. If anybody says otherwise then they are a bigger fool than they would appear.

You two don't seem to realise that because the two main parties made these vacuous promises and haven't delivered on them, they are getting the kicking they deserve from the electorate.

So what would satisfy you anti-democrats? Best of three? Best of five? We leavers have had to endure over 40 years of EEC/EU membership before being allowed a further referendum, but you Remoaners wanted another one literally months after the last one and before we had even left.
    So, was Farage being anti-democratic in saying exactly the same thing ?

PS: why are you afraid of a rerun ?

14. Default

Those elected Brexit cnts wont hang around getting every freebie and expense claim going.

15. Default

Probably first vote I have missed when in the country. And I tell the kids how important it is but cant be arsed today.

Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    Probably first vote I have missed when in the country. And I tell the kids how important it is but can’t be arsed today.
    Opposite for me. Don’t normally bother with the euro or local elections but will tonight

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    If only people didn't get sucked into project fear that never ever happened.

Blog Entries

#jamiebingo

Australia has mandatory voting. It would be really interesting to see some projections on how that would affect voting patterns in the UK - given the old tend to vote in larger numbers than the young and the young tends to be more liberal leaning.

Strong words, backed by a gilded pension no doubt.

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    Australia has mandatory voting. It would be really interesting to see some projections on how that would affect voting patterns in the UK - given the old tend to vote in larger numbers than the young and the young tends to be more liberal leaning.
    That hasn't seemed to make the Australian vote more Liberal.

Blog Entries

Anyone hear any unofficial whispers from exit polls?

Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post

Anyone hear any unofficial whispers from exit polls?
    I don't think there were any, were there?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by scotty View Post
    I don't think there were any, were there?
    I thought they have some info they just can't release it until Sunday night.

What happened in your formative years to produce such a bitter personality ?
    Nothing except far easier access to jobs, a gold plated final salary pension, massive % increase in house prices... Anyone over the age of 55 who isn't absolutely loaded needs to take a look at themselves.

Anyway, at least we've all democratically voted for those UNELECTED EURO BUREAUCRATS.

I thought they have some info they just can't release it until Sunday night.
    And yet the first exit poll estimation in the Dutch EU elections were all over the French press 10 minutes after the polls closed. Whether they're anywhere near accurate who knows. Thing is there the "good guys" seem to have done pretty well, unexpectedly well actually and the baddies of the extreme right less well than predicted.

Thats the point though. Culturally much of Australia reminds me of the southern states in the US but politically their Governments aren't generally Trump like
    Last edited by buctootim; 24-05-2019 at 10:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Surely not - it means we're going to have an unelected leader of the country? Let's see if you can recognise the irony in this...

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    Finally the Maybot has recognised that she is far beyond her sell-by date. Good riddance to the worst PM this country has ever had, weak, indecisive, duplicitous, incapable, uncharismatic and totally inept.

Blog Entries

The new pm is going to have the same trouble that May had. General election is an inevitability I would imagine.

The new pm is going to have the same trouble that May had. General election is an inevitability I would imagine.
    Or they just think "**** it, no deal then".

Finally the Maybot has recognised that she is far beyond her sell-by date. Good riddance to the worst PM this country has ever had, weak, indecisive, duplicitous, incapable, uncharismatic and totally inept.
    And welcome a new, unelected leader. #irony

Hopefully Boris will take over. He will look a right chump when he comes back from Brussels with exactly the same deal, or worse, than scapegoat May.

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Hopefully Boris will take over. He will look a right chump when he comes back from Brussels with exactly the same deal, or worse, than scapegoat May.
    Exactly. You can change the PM but it wont change the facts or Parliamentary numbers

Blog Entries

Sterling’s slightly up - wait a bit and it should be time to start shorting again
    Last edited by shurlock; 24-05-2019 at 12:13 PM.

Last edited by badgerx16; 24-05-2019 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Wrong thread

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    Or they just think "**** it, no deal then".
    Who is they in that scenario?

Who is they in that scenario?
    New PM/Tory party - just lead us off the cliffedge.

Blog Entries

New PM/Tory party - just lead us off the cliffedge.
    Yes but they will be prevented from doing so by parliament. Pretty sure I read that Bercow would break from Parliamentary tradition and allow some amendable legislation to be voted through to prevent no deal if that's what the Tories attempted.

Yes but they will be prevented from doing so by parliament. Pretty sure I read that Bercow would break from Parliamentary tradition and allow some amendable legislation to be voted through to prevent no deal if that's what the Tories attempted.
    Not sure on that TBH, there is nothing in law, and ultimately it is up to the EU, not the British Government, as to if we leave on a hard Brexit - unless that Bercow legislation is to revoke Article 50.

Blog Entries

https://www.instituteforgovernment.o...-stopped-mps-0

Quote Originally Posted by Window Cleaner View Post
    And yet the first exit poll estimation in the Dutch EU elections were all over the French press 10 minutes after the polls closed. Whether they're anywhere near accurate who knows. Thing is there the "good guys" seem to have done pretty well, unexpectedly well actually and the baddies of the extreme right less well than predicted.
    There is no extreme right in Dutch politics, even Wilders’ program is fairly left wing. Except for his view on islam of course... But no one doubts the exit poll: the Dutch Labour Party has won big due to Frans Timmermans who wants to be Juncker’s successor.

Double post.
    Last edited by van Hanegem; 24-05-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Brexit analogy - think this works pretty well

You pay for Sky Q every month - it's 90 with unlimited fibre, HD pack, Multi room, Sky Sports and Movies. You decide that you have had enough of the menu system, it's not great, but it allows you access to the excellent programming, which is what you SHOULD care about.

So you email Sky saying you want to cancel. Sky say you need to phone them to cancel. You don't want to, you want to email. If you called they would cancel, and give you the rest of the month that you've paid for, to find a new provider, probably Virgin. Sure, it'll be more expensive, you won't get UHD or multiroom, you'll get a cut down version of Boxsets and Movies, and Sky Sports HD is more expensive, but you don't have to use their menu system. Oh, and you've never used Virgin's menu system, but you reckon it can't be worse.

However, you don't want to follow Sky's rules on cancellation, so you turn the box off at the mains, and cancel your direct debit. Sky writes to you, telling you that you owe them money, and you keep ignoring until you get taken to court. You have to repay the money. In the meantime, it takes you three weeks to get Virgin out, so you have to watch terrestrial until then. Once they've set you up, you're paying more money for Virgin, the product is inferior and the menu system is worse. But hey, you maintain the correct decision was made.

Oh, and the rest of your family looks at you like you're a ****ing idiot.
    Last edited by Unbelievable Jeff; 24-05-2019 at 05:02 PM.

How about everyone just votes for what they believe in, rather than try and shove your horrid pointless views on everyone else?

Try it, its a better life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brexit analogy - think this works pretty well

You pay for Sky Q every month - it's 90 with unlimited fibre, HD pack, Multi room, Sky Sports and Movies. You decide that you have had enough of the menu system, it's not great, but it allows you access to the excellent programming, which is what you SHOULD care about.

So you email Sky saying you want to cancel. Sky say you need to phone them to cancel. You don't want to, you want to email. If you called they would cancel, and give you the rest of the month that you've paid for, to find a new provider, probably Virgin. Sure, it'll be more expensive, you won't get UHD or multiroom, you'll get a cut down version of Boxsets and Movies, and Sky Sports HD is more expensive, but you don't have to use their menu system. Oh, and you've never used Virgin's menu system, but you reckon it can't be worse.

However, you don't want to follow Sky's rules on cancellation, so you turn the box off at the mains, and cancel your direct debit. Sky writes to you, telling you that you owe them money, and you keep ignoring until you get taken to court. You have to repay the money. In the meantime, it takes you three weeks to get Virgin out, so you have to watch terrestrial until then. Once they've set you up, you're paying more money for Virgin, the product is inferior and the menu system is worse. But hey, you maintain the correct decision was made.

Oh, and the rest of your family looks at you like you're a ****ing idiot.
    Virgin is better than sky. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Cabbage_Face View Post
    Virgin is better than sky. Hope this helps.

I don't agree, but happy to listen to your arguments.
    Last edited by Unbelievable Jeff; 24-05-2019 at 10:09 PM.