Page 215 of 218 FirstFirst ... 115165205213214215216217 ... LastLast
Results 10,701 to 10,750 of 10866

Thread: Post EU - The Way Forward

Quote Originally Posted by saint si View Post
    Yes, we* voted for it in 1975.

*not me personally
    They didnít know what they were voting for

Quote Originally Posted by shurlock View Post
    Yep and the emphasis on “ever closer union of peoples” is critical. Nowhere in that sentence is the idea of a political union or union of governments -much less a big U union, pointing to some kind of institutionalised superstate. It’s one of the most misunderstood phrases in circulation but then again Brexiters misunderstand most things.
    To be fair in those days there wasnt the internet or so places to get the info. Shurlock you may well understand the undercurrent of the wording but I suspect the majority who were voting still had the memories of WWII ( it was only 30 years pre this time, the Falklands is further back to us now, 12 years after forthe initial treaty) and the wording is soft. It was done to deceive, if they had worded it in laymans terms the vote would have been different. The academics and politicians wanted it to happen and so joined in with the game imo

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    Do you have a plan setting out what staying with the same wife, staying in the same job and not moving house entails?
    Jesus wept, Jesus effing wept! (Thanks CB Fry for that ;-) )

Isn't chosing staying with the same wife, staying in the same job and not moving house a plan? Couple that with a pension and some savings and your really getting somewhere! Funnily enough, we were talking the other day about moving, but decided that it's not the right time for us.

Come on people, help me here. I bet if you went down to the local WI, you could speak to the incumbent Presidentess(?) and they would be able to reveal what their plan was for their tenure. Are you seriously telling me that none of you can point me in the direction of something similar for the EU?

Ok, start at the beginning for me, what's the number one priority for the EU over and above the the EU itself? I'm trying to learn here guys, help me out!

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by stug76 View Post

Isn't chosing staying with the same wife, staying in the same job and not moving house a plan? Couple that with a pension and some savings and your really getting somewhere! Funnily enough, we were talking the other day about moving, but decided that it's not the right time for us.

Come on people, help me here. I bet if you went down to the local WI, you could speak to the incumbent Presidentess(?) and they would be able to reveal what their plan was for their tenure. Are you seriously telling me that none of you can point me in the direction of something similar for the EU?

Ok, start at the beginning for me, what's the number one priority for the EU over and above the the EU itself? I'm trying to learn here guys, help me out!

The EU's priority 'over and above the EU' is to ignore trolling.

5. Default

And he's still going.

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    And he's still going.
    Yeh but, no but,........

7. Default

The plan for the EU is to turn it into the United States of Europe, so in time, we will have no votes ( as Eu will decide ) how we wipe are back sides ( EU will decide ) how we cook are chips ( EU will decide ) how powerful of hoover we buy ( EU will decide ) how much salt I put on my food, and so on, every little tiny thing you take for granted in life, the EU will decide for you, with out a vote of any sort from its people.

If we decide to stay, we will in time give up all of what we have worked to get in the UK, are rights and freedoms, the Memes we use online every thing will be gone, and we will be run like another Russia super state ( USSR ) dictatorship.

WHAT?! The "land of the free?" Whoever told you that is your enemy!

Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    And he's still going.
    He is clearly on a wind up no one is that thick ….

Quote Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
    The plan for the EU is to turn it into the United States of Europe, so in time, we will have no votes ( as Eu will decide ) how we wipe are back sides ( EU will decide ) how we cook are chips ( EU will decide ) how powerful of hoover we buy ( EU will decide ) how much salt I put on my food, and so on, every little tiny thing you take for granted in life, the EU will decide for you, with out a vote of any sort from its people.

If we decide to stay, we will in time give up all of what we have worked to get in the UK, are rights and freedoms, the Memes we use online every thing will be gone, and we will be run like another Russia super state ( USSR ) dictatorship.
    Do you think the EU can teach you the difference between 'are' and 'our' too?

Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Do you think the EU can teach you the difference between 'are' and 'our' too?
    Another reason to leave the EU the freedom to use "are" when you mean "our" Brussel's autocrats would never allow such freedom...

The plan for the EU is to turn it into the United States of Europe,.......
    Even if that were true, would it be a completely mad idea to be part of a bloc with financial and political power in a world that is increasingly dominated by China, Russia ( and it's cronies ), and a self-interested United States ? In the real world, will Brexit truly increase our influence and level of respect among the international community ? Remember, the UK itself is an amalgamation of 4 previously unaligned territories with a long history of conflict.
    Last edited by badgerx16; 11-02-2019 at 09:59 PM.

I'm pretty sure that we told you to look at the EUs website - so go and have a look.

Quote Originally Posted by doddisalegend View Post
    Another reason to leave the EU the freedom to use "are" when you mean "our" Brussel's autocrats would never allow such freedom...
    ..and rightly so. I've seen people stabbed for less than that outrageous use of the English language.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable Jeff View Post
    ..and rightly so. I've seen people stabbed for less than that outrageous use of the English language.
    Stabbed for bad English? Only in the mind of Remainers yeah LOL you do know you have been hinted you voted to stay in the EU right? most none UK folk don't use proper grammar and / or spelling? you sure you are on the right side? or you just a rich stuck up snob who cant afford UK produce? most people get stabbed cause they look at some one wrong, disrespect them, talk ill of the family, queen or country, owe drug money, walk in wrong area, wrong place wrong time, but never have I heard of any one in the history of humankind be stabbed for make a spelling mistake or for having bad grammar.

REMAINERS FOR YOU....
    Last edited by Mosin; 11-02-2019 at 11:38 PM.

Stabbed for bad English? Only in the mind of Remainers yeah LOL you do know you have been hinted you voted to stay in the EU right? most none UK folk don't use proper grammar and / or spelling? you sure you are on the right side? or you just a rich stuck up snob who cant afford UK produce? most people get stabbed cause they look at some one wrong, disrespect them, talk ill of the family, queen or country, owe drug money, walk in wrong area, wrong place wrong time, but never have I heard of any one in the history of humankind be stabbed for make a spelling mistake or for having bad grammar.

REMAINERS FOR YOU....
    This guy knows his stuff. I got stabbed because I owed drug money. Dealer didnít seem bothered that I used a verb in place of a determiner.

REMAINERS FOR YOU....
    Excuse me Moses, but I think Jeffrey was being sarky - at least I hope for your sake he was, given the state of this.

On to more pressing matters, this is an excellent piece on how other countries in the EU will asset-strip key bits of the British economy. The astonishing collapse that's already happened since June 2016, in inward investment and manufacturing investment in general in the UK, is just the canary in the coal mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw

REMAINERS FOR YOU....
    I said "stabbed for less". Learn to read.

The rest of this is just a complete mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
    Excuse me Moses, but I think Jeffrey was being sarky - at least I hope for your sake he was, given the state of this.

On to more pressing matters, this is an excellent piece on how other countries in the EU will asset-strip key bits of the British economy. The astonishing collapse that's already happened since June 2016, in inward investment and manufacturing investment in general in the UK, is just the canary in the coal mine.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...P=share_btn_tw
    Thoroughly depressing reading there.

It's almost like you're condoning violence

And leavers have the temerity to accuse pro-EU folks of "project fear"...

22. Default

I wish AC Wailing, Adonis, Sloshbry, Grieve or one of the other remoaners would have a word with that dopey bird who keeps getting her kit off for Remain. Put me off my cornflakes this morning, she needs a razor itís 2019 not 1973. Horrific...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Has Theresa actually come up with any alternative arrangements for NI yet?

There's plenty of pro Leave arguments i can understand but the idea that the EU is somehow planning on becoming a united states of Europe one doesn't make sense to me.

First off it'd never happen and most countries and people wouldn't be interested in it happening, there's also little to no evidence to support the claim and most of it seems to be either hyperbole or conspiracy.

Secondly does it even actually matter? Nationalism is a pretty outdated concept if you think about it sensibly and the ability to travel freely, work where you want, have full access to health care and benefits anywhere in a block of 27 countries is pretty f*cking cool (and desirable).

25. Default

George Soros finally makes it clear how he sees the EU:

Mr Soros warned that Eurosceptic parties were on the rise across Europe and now enjoyed a "competitive advantage". Issuing a rallying cry to those who support the European project, he added: "The people of Europe need to wake up before it is too late. If they donít, the European Union will go the way of the Soviet Union in 1991. Neither our leaders nor ordinary citizens seem to understand that we are experiencing a revolutionary moment, that the range of possibilities is very broad, and that the eventual outcome is thus highly uncertain."
    So, the guy that broke the Bank of England is bemoaning the fact that there is a chance that the EU will no longer be like the Soviet Union and we need to wake up. Jesus H Christ...

Quote Originally Posted by ericb View Post
    There's plenty of pro Leave arguments i can understand but the idea that the EU is somehow planning on becoming a united states of Europe one doesn't make sense to me.

First off it'd never happen and most countries and people wouldn't be interested in it happening, there's also little to no evidence to support the claim and most of it seems to be either hyperbole or conspiracy.

Secondly does it even actually matter? Nationalism is a pretty outdated concept if you think about it sensibly and the ability to travel freely, work where you want, have full access to health care and benefits anywhere in a block of 27 countries is pretty f*cking cool (and desirable).
    Oh come on, the direction of travel is pretty clear when you look at what the EU started off as and what it is today.

Quote Originally Posted by aintforever View Post
    Oh come on, the direction of travel is pretty clear when you look at what the EU started off as and what it is today.
    Certainly be closer ties and shared resources, can't disagree with that, but to replace nations in their entirety (not that i personally care if that happens or not, so long as a degree of localised control of laws is retained) is fantasy and scaremongering of the worst kind.

I've got to be honest i've never really understood nationalism though, to celebrate an accident of birth as something special is pretty bloody odd. To celebrate a culture and history is fine, likewise to accept it's failings and problems is fine too, but to pretend that people are fundamentally different because they happened to be born somewhere? I'll never really get that.

28. Default

Is it pretty f*cking cool that an African or Asian is treated differently than a Dane or Dutchman?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Duckhunter View Post
    Is it pretty f*cking cool that an African or Asian is treated differently than a Dane or Dutchman?

That's more of a question for the UK government and than home office than for the EU

What you mean like being members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations or African Union....

It's not like Europe has a monopoly on greater geographical political and economic unions you know.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Yes, it's about reciprocity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Yes, it's about reciprocity.
    Bingo.

Certainly be closer ties and shared resources, can't disagree with that, but to replace nations in their entirety (not that i personally care if that happens or not, so long as a degree of localised control of laws is retained) is fantasy and scaremongering of the worst kind.

I've got to be honest i've never really understood nationalism though, to celebrate an accident of birth as something special is pretty bloody odd. To celebrate a culture and history is fine, likewise to accept it's failings and problems is fine too, but to pretend that people are fundamentally different because they happened to be born somewhere? I'll never really get that.
    You are either a traitor or a quisling, or both. ; -)

It’s scaremongering to suggest that it’s being planned or will happen in the near future because it obviously isn’t going happen. But to say it’s the direction we are heading, all be it to an extreme and unlikely outcome, could be considered fair considering how much the EU has changed. There just seems to be an usnstoppable inertia towards the EU getting more and more power.

I’m not a nationalist, I just don’t like what the EU has become. It should be every country’s right to control who goes in or out, the idea of fee-movement is fine but if country’s are experiencing mass net immigration they should be given the option of some sort of controls. When Cameron was told to get lost when he tried to get a temporary brake it showed how little control we have about what is decided in Brussels and how democratic it is.

It’s scaremongering to suggest that it’s being planned or will happen in the near future because it obviously isn’t going happen. But to say it’s the direction we are heading, all be it to an extreme and unlikely outcome, could be considered fair considering how much the EU has changed. There just seems to be an usnstoppable inertia towards the EU getting more and more power.

I’m not a nationalist, I just don’t like what the EU has become. It should be every country’s right to control who goes in or out, the idea of fee-movement is fine but if country’s are experiencing mass net immigration they should be given the option of some sort of controls. When Cameron was told to get lost when he tried to get a temporary brake it showed how little control we have about what is decided in Brussels and how democratic it is.
    The problem with your post is that it’s not true. Like so many pro Brexit posts it betrays a deep ignorance of how the EU works. Any country has the right to deport anybody who after three months has not secured a job or can prove they have independent income which doesn’t require accessing state benefits. The problem is simply that the UK has never implemented this. The British government prefers to blame the EU for a problem our government could fix but choose not to. But you know this already because you have been told numerous times before. You prefer what you feel over what you know.
    Last edited by buctootim; 12-02-2019 at 09:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    The problem with your post is that it’s not true. Like so many pro Brexit posts it betrays a deep ignorance of how the EU works. Any country has the right to deport anybody who after three months has not secured a job or can prove they have indecent income which doesn’t require accessing state benefits. The problem is simply that the UK has never implanted this. The British government prefers to blame the EU for a problem out government could fix but choose not to.
    Yeah I was aware of that.

Yeah I was aware of that.
    So you were either blatantly lying or are blindingly stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Verbal View Post
    So you were either blatantly lying or are blindingly stupid.
    Did he vote leave, perchance?
    Last edited by badgerx16; 12-02-2019 at 10:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    No he’s a bottlejob and didn’t vote supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by badgerx16 View Post
    No I didn't, I was leaning towards leave but didn't vote because it wasn't clear what I would be voting for.

My point was that our government went to Europe to try and get a temporary brake on the amount of immigration and it was told to get lost, had the EU shown bit more flexibility we wouldn't be in this mess. The benefits capability is not going to effect the influx of cheap labour which causes wage depression.

As I have said before I don’t have a huge problem with being in the EU, I just accept there has to be the free-movement thing. If Poland were experiencing mass immigration and their people were unhappy with it’s effects who are we to say you must let us in to get the benefits from living in their country? The sensible and right thing to do would be to listen to and act on the concerns of their population.

Immigration has been an issue for a lot of people at the last few general elections, whenever the subject was brought up the left branded them racists and the right blamed the EU. The referendum finally gave people the chance to actually do something about it.

Laughably, there was some EU guy on the TV the other day saying they couldn’t let the UK have controls on immigration because every country would want them. Democracy at it’s finest - can’t give people what they want!

Oh, and please don't quote dumb or dumber as I have these two scumbags on ignore.
    Last edited by aintforever; 13-02-2019 at 08:12 AM.

https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1095283424229765120

Before Xmas I was told by one senior cabinet minister that Mays plan was to keep delaying vote until there was no option left but her deal. Nothing Iíve seen since has made me think sheís come even an inch off course.The trips to Brussels /chats with labour are window dressing.

The only thing Mayís watching is the calendar. When I asked if that could mean a vote right up to last week of March there was a hollow laugh and no denial. She is happy to indulge the ďfantasiesĒ of others. But donít be fooled into thinking anyone is changing her mind.
    Which begs the question Emily... As a senior BBC journalist, why have you waited nearly two months to reveal this information?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bexy View Post
    https://twitter.com/maitlis/status/1095283424229765120

Which begs the question Emily... As a senior BBC journalist, why have you waited nearly two months to reveal this information?
    It’s not really information, though is it? It’s pretty clear she’s running down the clock and trying to put a gun to Parliament’s head.

It’s not really information, though is it? It’s pretty clear she’s running down the clock and trying to put a gun to Parliament’s head.
    True, it's obvious to anyone that's what she is doing.

But an actual admission of this strategy by a cabinet minister to a senior BBC journalist is surely big news that shouldn't be suppressed?

Quote Originally Posted by Guided Missile View Post
    George Soros finally makes it clear how he sees the EU:

So, the guy that broke the Bank of England is bemoaning the fact that there is a chance that the EU will no longer be like the Soviet Union and we need to wake up. Jesus H Christ...
    As long as snakes like that are rattled, things are looking bright for “the revolution”!
    One small problem though: you don’t want the Orban’s, Le Pen’s and Salvini’s to be in charge...

But won't it likely be "My Interim Agreement", or "Delayed Brexit" rather than "No interim agreement". I bet the EU are working with May to this end as they want Parliament to approve the Interim Agreement with the threat of a no interim agreement that no-one wants. It will end up being May and the EU Leaders v Parliament. I think Parliament will win and there will be further delays, and so May and EU will have to re-think the legal text behind the backstop as May's current agreement will be dead in the water if it loses versus "no agreement".

An American article dealing with Brexit honestly some of the comments in the article leave me shaking my head

"We were great before we joined the EU. We'll great after we leave," said Julie Paris, 63, who was tending the bar at the Romford Snooker Club "It's been two years since we voted to leave, and I'm sick of talking about it. Even if our farmers took a hit, I'd still rather get out. The only thing the EU cares about is whether our cucumbers are straight and our bananas are curvy," Paris added,

"The amount of waste and nonsense that goes on in Brussels, it's crazy," said Willis, 70. The EU is headquartered in Belgium's capital. "And a lot of countries do very well from it: Ireland, Spain, the Greeks. But not Britain," he said.
    "Our country is full-to-bursting," Willis said, in reference to another Brexiteer shibboleth

"I know it's a long time ago but one of the things that makes people bitter about the EU in this country is that people like my nan and grandad fought during World War II to stop the Germans from taking over and in the end the EU started taking over," said Scott, 45,

"When I decide to leave a party I get my coat and go. Right? I don't sit there thinking: 'Do I get a bus? A cab? A train? A this or that?,'" he said, referring to the prospect of a "no-deal" Brexit, which he welcomed. "I don't care how we leave, I just want to leave."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/w...be/2799312002/

I am always amazed and amused by the number of Brexiteers defending "no deal" by referencing Y2K as an example where warnings of dire consequences did not quite come to pass. Ignorance is Bliss, I suppose.

An American article dealing with Brexit honestly some of the comments in the article leave me shaking my head

"We were great before we joined the EU. We'll great after we leave," said Julie Paris, 63, who was tending the bar at the Romford Snooker Club "It's been two years since we voted to leave, and I'm sick of talking about it. Even if our farmers took a hit, I'd still rather get out. The only thing the EU cares about is whether our cucumbers are straight and our bananas are curvy," Paris added,

"The amount of waste and nonsense that goes on in Brussels, it's crazy," said Willis, 70. The EU is headquartered in Belgium's capital. "And a lot of countries do very well from it: Ireland, Spain, the Greeks. But not Britain," he said.
    "Our country is full-to-bursting," Willis said, in reference to another Brexiteer shibboleth

"I know it's a long time ago but one of the things that makes people bitter about the EU in this country is that people like my nan and grandad fought during World War II to stop the Germans from taking over and in the end the EU started taking over," said Scott, 45,

"When I decide to leave a party I get my coat and go. Right? I don't sit there thinking: 'Do I get a bus? A cab? A train? A this or that?,'" he said, referring to the prospect of a "no-deal" Brexit, which he welcomed. "I don't care how we leave, I just want to leave."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/w...be/2799312002/
    And so, once again, every plausible-sounding argument against the idea that Brexiters are stupid is trashed.

This is possibly the best (worst) use of an analogy I've ever heard.

Blog Entries

But won't it likely be "My Interim Agreement", or "Delayed Brexit" rather than "No interim agreement". I bet the EU are working with May to this end as they want Parliament to approve the Interim Agreement with the threat of a no interim agreement that no-one wants. It will end up being May and the EU Leaders v Parliament. I think Parliament will win and there will be further delays, and so May and EU will have to re-think the legal text behind the backstop as May's current agreement will be dead in the water if it loses versus "no agreement".
    Maybe, though at this stage, I don't think the EU is opposed to Parliament playing a larger role in negotiations. Indeed it may just be the 'shock' that breaks the impasse and opens up new options which May's mix of deception, inflexibility and indecision is unlikely to achieve. It may also worsen problems; but the EU won't know that until it gives it a go. And if it ends in further gridlock, it arguably only brings a second referendum a bit closer (which the EU would support).

In reality, it's hard to see how anyone would grant the concessions that the jihadists are demanding. No amount of rethinking on the backstop is therefore likely to do the trick save May and the EU tearing it up for all practical purposes. They are demands, made in bad faith, designed to call May's bluff and distract from the fact that the swivels have everything to lose in a May's WA or delayed Brexit situation. The problem for May is that her deal needs more than the support of a few swivels and other groups are quite happy if Brexit is delayed.

Of course, nobody knows whether Olly Robbins revelation earlier this week is legit - May's shown very little evidence of putting the national interest ahead of political vanity and the pointless quest for Tory party unity. With the clock ticking, I suspect MPs and ministers will be in no mood to take any more chances and will therefore push through Parliament the legislation that narrowly failed last month.
    Last edited by shurlock; 14-02-2019 at 12:25 PM.