• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Meanwhile, a year after this post...

On a date that Romans historically settled their debts, it seems to be, yet again, a time for political and economic upheaval. This time, it will be the EU, not the Roman empire that will be affected. You see, no amount of cheap credit and an artificially strong currency will hide the systemic problems affecting the Italian economy. Italy could be heading into deep political crisis after voters go to the polls on March 4. Italy’s la dolce vita is at stake. The supposed ‘good life’ which the Italian economy has enjoyed since the European Central Bank slashed rates down to zero in 2012 and flooded the market with cheap credit, could come to an untimely end. Italian investors could be heading into a bloodbath, leaving the euro facing another existential crisis. Of course, the country is no stranger to political instability. It has changed governments 65 times since the second world war.

The betting is that there will be a lurch to the right, particularly amongst younger voters, who have the opposite view to our pampered and spoilt youth, with regard to the benefits of belonging to the EU. At least one-third of young Italians under the age of 25 are out of work and unsurprisingly they have a deep distrust of their government and establishment parties. Right now, the populist Five Star Movement has a slight lead in the polls and if they set up a coalition with the Northern League, it could spell curtains for the euro. Their leader Matteo Salvini has even gone so far as to call the euro a ‘German currency’ which has damaged Italy’s economy, arguing the case to abandon the euro altogether. Forgetting the elections in Italy in March, who seriously thinks that the Euro will survive for long, when the debts of southern Europe become unsustainable? Alan Greenspan, the former Chair of the US Federal Reserve, back in February didn't. He believes the Euro will collapse and the ECB Mario Draghi should come clean on the state of the Eurozone economy. "Northern Europe has, in effect, been funding the deficits of the South; that cannot continue indefinitely. The Eurozone is not working,” says Greenspan. "Brexit is not the end of the set of problems, which I always thought were going to start with the euro because the euro is a very serious problem."

Still, maybe Italy is too big to fail, like Deutsche Bank. Luckily the UK won't be involved in the bailouts, that must certainly be coming. If and when the euro fails, what is the value in a free-trade agreement with the EU?

Always nice to be in the first lifeboat...

...fast forward to today...

MILAN, Feb 15 (Reuters) - Italy will have to leave the European Union unless the upcoming European Parliament elections show a decisive shift toward populist parties, a prominent member of the ruling League party said on Friday.

Christine Lagarde warns entire European project at risk as southern economies fall behind prosperous north

Christine Lagarde said eastern European nations have benefitted from surging living standards as their economies converge on the prosperity of western nations - but southern countries have not seen the same success . The future of the entire EU project is at risk because of the deep, sustained crises in the southern eurozone economies, Christine Lagarde has warned. While northern and western countries have prospered, those in the south have suffered, with average real wages falling from 2008 to 2017, the head of the International Monetary Fund said.

Translation for Germany's benefit : French banks are going to try and bring down the Italian government. But this time it won't work. If there's an election, Lega and 5 Star will gain an even bigger majority. And if the banks pull the rug, Salvini and Di Maio will take the ballistic option and bring in a parallel currency. Then it's Goodnight Euro. Time for Germany to bail out the banks (again).

Christine Lagarde warns entire European project at risk as southern economies fall behind prosperous north

Translation for Germany's benefit : French banks are going to try and bring down the Italian government. But this time it won't work. If there's an election, Lega and 5 Star will gain an even bigger majority. And if the banks pull the rug, Salvini and Di Maio will take the ballistic option and bring in a parallel currency. Then it's Goodnight Euro. Time for Germany to bail out the banks (again).

How about Deutsche Bank ?? Will they be able to bale out the Italians ?? They were still going the last time I looked despite your predictions.

Oh sorry. I forgot . You apparently have me on ignore and cannot read the views of anyone who disagrees with your strange view of the world.

Translation for the benefit of inhabitants of planet Earth. Behold, The Great Missiledini the Bollo ckstalker has seen the future as clearly as someone wearing sunglasses in a windowless room.

How about Deutsche Bank ?? Will they be able to bale out the Italians ?? They were still going the last time I looked despite your predictions.

Oh sorry. I forgot . You apparently have me on ignore and cannot read the views of anyone who disagrees with your strange view of the world.

JJ has me on ignore too but, as shown by this morning’s little tribute act, knows my posts better than I do.

....and back to the opening post, Trump just said:

President Donald Tump has claimed that Brexit is set to "very substantially" increase trade between the UK and United States.

Speaking at the White House, Mr Trump said: "You know all of the situation with respect to Brexit and the complexity and the problems, but we have a very good trading relationship with the UK and that's just been strengthened.

"With the UK we're continuing our trade and we're going to be increasing it very substantially as time goes by. "We expect that the UK will be very substantially increased as it relates to trade with the United States. The relationship there also is very good."

God Bless America

"President Donald Tump has claimed that Brexit is set to "very substantially" increase trade between the UK and United States. "

In other words, and based on previous statements concerning trade between the UK and the US, there will be a drive to balance out the current trade deficit which the US has in relation to the UK.#AmericaFirst

JJ has me on ignore too but, as shown by this morning’s little tribute act, knows my posts better than I do.

You would think that if a user of this forum has another on 'ignore', then should the blocked account inadvertantly appear due to being quoted by a third party, the first user would simply IGNORE the information he/she would otherwise expect not to see. It seems as if some people may be ignorant of the meaning of ignore.

On the plus side, this enabled me to rodger a hot Latvian for a bit in Soton, circa. 2005.

Good for you! :p

The downside is that all those immigrants made Brexit possible while eastern and southern European countries are losing their well educated and enterprising youth. Those countries are becoming more conservative as a result which will have consequences for the unity inside the EU. Brussels will have to act upon this otherwise the “European Project” will crash within the next decade.

Banging on Merkel's door they will be. Banging on the door.

Porsche asks UK buyers to commit to 10% no-deal Brexit surcharge

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/15/porsche-asks-uk-buyers-to-commit-to-10-no-deal-brexit-surcharge?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Interesting that the UK is 1/5th of global sales though!

Ridiculous how much pain this Brexit could cause - all over the world.

The downside is that all those immigrants made Brexit possible while eastern and southern European countries are losing their well educated and enterprising youth. Those countries are becoming more conservative as a result which will have consequences for the unity inside the EU. Brussels will have to act upon this otherwise the “European Project” will crash within the next decade.

Since it signed the Maastricht treaty Italy has been in recession for 10 of the 20 years, about 25 per cent of its industrial production has been wiped out, youth unemployment is around 30% and areas in the South have unemployment rates of 70%. As you say, this will drive the innovators & educated away, and the remedy needed is not possible whilst they remain within the Eurozone. It’s utterly baffling and defies logic that young people in this country consider themselves to be open and outward looking whilst not understanding the damage The EU has done to their European peers. Provided they can have free movement, cheap mobile phone data, and a European to serve their latte, they couldn’t give a **** about the lives of the poor in Italy, Spain & Greece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Since it signed the Maastricht treaty Italy has been in recession for 10 of the 20 years, about 25 per cent of its industrial production has been wiped out, youth unemployment is around 30% and areas in the South have unemployment rates of 70%. As you say, this will drive the innovators & educated away, and the remedy needed is not possible whilst they remain within the Eurozone. It’s utterly baffling and defies logic that young people in this country consider themselves to be open and outward looking whilst not understanding the damage The EU has done to their European peers. Provided they can have free movement, cheap mobile phone data, and a European to serve their latte, they couldn’t give a **** about the lives of the poor in Italy, Spain & Greece.

Amen brother. I'd say the main problem with Italy is it's domestic leadership.

I mean, Italy had no chance when it was run for so long by that sopping wet leftie Europhile pinko commie Silvio Berlusconi.

Amen brother. I'd say the main problem with Italy is it's domestic leadership.

I mean, Italy had no chance when it was run for so long by that sopping wet leftie Europhile pinko commie Silvio Berlusconi.

I'd think their rocketing population has something to do with it. Used to be fairly stable, about 56 million or so from 1981 to 2001 and since then it's jumped to 60+ million. When you increase something by 7% in less than 20 years everything else needs to follow. Which isn't the case in Italy.

Southern Italy has always been peripheral. As long ago as 1950 the Italian Government were trying to stimulate growth in the south with the Cassa per il Mezzogiorno. (Fund for the South) this was pre EEC/EC/EU. Whilst it built motorways and bridges and improved infrastructure not all projects promised were completed and it's estimated that around 30% of the fund was squandered. This was in part due political and financial incompetence at a local level, and possibly because money was diverted by organised crime. Most of the industrial development like the Alfa Romeo factory at Pomigliano d'Arco and Bagnoli Steelworks in Naples was highly automated and did little to address the chronic employment and migration problems that the south faced, and still faces. Most of the companies who located as a result of the Cassa were inevitably from the North like Alfa, which meant that money leaked back in that direction rather staying in the South. Whist it may have made economic sense for the north to be part of the Eurozone it was never in the interest of the south which has more in common with Greece than much of the rest of Italy.

On the day that a British airline collapses because of Brexit, this from Nick Cohen is magnificent.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/16/brexit-extremism-is-going-nowhere-now-the-moderate-millions-must-act

I can think of a few on here who will disagree with you. Those who view the fall beyond the edge of the cliff as the Promised Land, who view The Guardian as a subversive pinko rag full of 'pony', or those with closed minds convinced that dragging the country back to the 1950's will envigorate the economy and solve all of our social ills, ( and view those who hold differing views as 'traitors' ).

Edited by badgerx16

On the day that a British airline collapses because of Brexit, this from Nick Cohen is magnificent.

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/feb/16/brexit-extremism-is-going-nowhere-now-the-moderate-millions-must-act

Discounted airlines are always going under and haven’t seen any indication that Brexit caused it

Cohen is always v good.

See from the Times that Jim Ratcliffe - not using Sir when not merited - is wrapping up assets to hide about £4bn of tax overseas. Campaign to destroy our economy via UKIP, use taxpayer funded roads and infrastructure for years, flog your workers to death and then clear off without contributing. Scum, utter scum.

See from the Times that Jim Ratcliffe - not using Sir when not merited - is wrapping up assets to hide about £4bn of tax overseas. Campaign to destroy our economy via UKIP, use taxpayer funded roads and infrastructure for years, flog your workers to death and then clear off without contributing. Scum, utter scum.

He moved to Monaco in August. Did anyone think this wasn’t to avoid tax?

The company used to be in Switzerland after being in Lyndhurst

Where has he flogged workers to death?

Discounted airlines are always going under and haven’t seen any indication that Brexit caused it

Cohen is always v good.

According to their statement a range of issues have caused this but certainly some they are putting down to Brexit.

The airline has faced several difficulties, including recent spikes in fuel and carbon costs, the latter arising from the EU's recent decision to exclude UK airlines from full participation in the Emissions Trading Scheme.

"Current trading and future prospects have also been seriously affected by the uncertainty created by the Brexit process, which has led to our inability to secure valuable flying contracts in Europe and lack of confidence around bmi's ability to continue flying between destinations in Europe."

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/business/flybmi-goes-into-administration-all-flights-cancelled/ar-BBTGce0?MSCC=1550399245&ocid=spartandhp

3,500 jobs underplays it. Easily add another 10k for the supply chain and local economy reliant on Honda.

And here is the number 1 reason for this - a trade deal which we won't be part of. Worth more for the Japanese companies than the subsidies our governments can offer them.

"For Japan, the prize is liberalised access to the EU car market, with Europe to phase out tariffs on vehicles and parts over a seven year-period."

Honda relocates car manufacturing to Japan. It's apparently to do with Brexit. :lol:

Meanwhile:

Europe's financial markets regulator has given UK-based derivatives clearing houses permission to continue serving EU clients in the event of a no-deal Brexit – a major boost to London's battle to remain the central market for euro clearing. The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) said the decision to allow LCH Limited, ICE Clear Europe and LME Clear to continue operating was to limit disruption and avoid potentially negative impacts on financial market stability.

And here is the number 1 reason for this - a trade deal which we won't be part of. Worth more for the Japanese companies than the subsidies our governments can offer them.

"For Japan, the prize is liberalised access to the EU car market, with Europe to phase out tariffs on vehicles and parts over a seven year-period."

They've probably worked out that the Civics manufactured in Turkey are turned out at about half of the price of those made in Swindon.

Come on then guys, as another one leaves, what bull**** you gonna blame this in now?

https://www.mirror.co.uk/money/breaking-honda-set-close-entire-14015449

Devastating if true. Swindon, like Sunderland, voted Leave, so presumably they knew they were torching employment at the largest company in town.

Not a surprise, though. We in Project Fear have been talking about Honda's likely withdrawal from the UK for a while.

The BBC reported on Project Fear, in June, 2017.

What would it mean for UK jobs if this trade (euro clearing) moves? An independent report conducted by EY for the London Stock Exchange last autumn said up to 83,000 clearing jobs could be lost in a worst-case scenario over the next seven years. And Mr Rolet warned last year that at least 100,000 UK jobs would be at risk - in areas such as risk management, compliance, middle office and back-office support functions.

I doubt they are doing the same with the news that not one clearing job will be lost under a no-deal Brexit (the so called worst-case scenario)

The BBC reported on Project Fear, in June, 2017.

I doubt they are doing the same with the news that not one clearing job will be lost under a no-deal Brexit (the so called worst-case scenario)

Are we supposed to be celebrating because one particular industry hopefully won't be decimated? The need to avoid instability on the financial markets is hardly a massive vote of confidence in post-Brexit Britain.

Devastating if true. Swindon, like Sunderland, voted Leave, so presumably they knew they were torching employment at the largest company in town.

Not a surprise, though. We in Project Fear have been talking about Honda's likely withdrawal from the UK for a while.

As we'll keep on saying for years, you reap what you sow.

As we'll keep on saying for years, you reap what you sow.

Quite. And I'm starting to think the German car manufacturers are not coming to save us.

I also doubt the Nostradamus qualities of Swindon's Brexiter Tory MP Justin Tomlinson. Here he is just five weeks ago:

Honda are making preparations for any scenario, they remain committed to Swindon. As the Snr Vice President of Europe has reinforced; Swindon is crucial part of their entire global production network. I have worked closely with them and they fully support the PMs Brexit deal

A relative of Jihadi John by any chance?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction