• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Meanwhile, for those that are interested, the OP of this thread looks bang on the money if, God willing, we leave with no deal, as this article explains:

A no-deal Brexit would be infinitely preferable to Britain being stuck inside the EU. As National Security Adviser John Bolton recently said: “People who worry about the UK crashing out of the European Union – they are going to crash right into the United States. We are standing here waiting to make a trade deal with a United Kingdom independent of the EU.” The president has been an unflinching backer of Brexit, and has made it abundantly clear that the US is prepared to negotiate a powerful free trade deal between the world’s largest and fifth-largest economies. It is official White House policy to move forward with such a deal, and at least 19 senators have already signed on to the new UK Trade Caucus. If Britain leaves the EU on April 12 without a deal, trading under World Trade Organisation terms and free to shape its own destiny on the world stage, Americans will be the first to celebrate. Brexit is above all about liberty and sovereignty, the very principles that make the US the great free nation it is.

Girls, I hoped, but never thought, that three years ago my thread would look so spookily prescient. Back to the future....

Meanwhile, for those that are interested, the OP of this thread looks bang on the money if, God willing, we leave with no deal, as this article explains:

Girls, I hoped, but never thought, that three years ago my thread would look so spookily prescient. Back to the future....

No trade deal with the US would improve on the terms we currently have with them. They will bully us into accepting their demands so that their current trade deficit with the UK is reversed, including access to the NHS for US health insurance to dismember, as well as poorer food hygiene and production standards.

#AmericaFirst #MAGA

No trade deal with the US would improve on the terms we currently have with them. They will bully us into accepting their demands so that their current trade deficit with the UK is reversed, including access to the NHS for US health insurance to dismember, as well as poorer food hygiene and production standards.

#AmericaFirst #MAGA

Project fear

Nice try John. Alas you’re known as the forum antinostradamus for good reason. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the UK would want to negotiate a FTA with the world’s largest economy (maybe its a revelation to you mind).

Rather the question has always been about the scope of a UK-US FTA which will be constrained by the UK’s future trade relationship with the EU and domestic political preferences and how much stock to put in your sentimental, Disneyfied view of the special relationship (your understanding of the US is almost as bad as your knowledge of GATT Article XXIV).

Thankfully it appears that Trump, Bolton and useful idiots like you are losing the argument :lol:

Edited by shurlock

Nice try John. Alas you’re known as the forum antinostradamus for good reason. It doesn’t take a genius to work out that the UK would want to negotiate a FTA with the world’s largest economy (maybe its a revelation to you mind). Rather the question has always been about the scope of a UK-US FTA which will be constrained by the UK’s future trade relationship with the EU and domestic political preferences and how much stock to put in your sentimental, Disneyfied view of the special relationship (your understanding of the US is almost as bad as your knowledge of GATT Article XXIV). Thankfully it appears that Trump, Bolton and useful idiots like you are losing the argument :lol:

...and bang on cue, Herbert Von W@nkstain turns up to demonstrate why he earned that sobriquet...

28-06-2016 : Its a bit more complicated pal. If you've followed the primaries closely (obviously you haven't), you'll have noted that there has been hardening on both sides against free trade. http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/6e3451d6-37a7-11e6-9a05-82a9b15a8ee7.html#axzz4CmlHTiTJ

"Free trade will not have an ally in the White House next year"

...and bang on cue, Herbert Von W@nkstain turns up to demonstrate why he earned that sobriquet...

I was bang on the money. The Trump admistration is decidedly more protectionist. I wonder if you exist on here just to make me look good pal :lol:

I thought that you had Sherlock on ignore. How come you can read what he wrote?

Perhaps , and this is only a suggestion, you tell porky pies.

I thi k this thread shows that none of us has any idea how it will all turn out

It is true there are very few certainties surrounding the whole Brexit issue. But one thing that we can all say for absolute certain is that Trump and his administration will never sign up to any FTA with the UK that doesn't heavily favour US interests. To claim that any such suggestion is just 'project fear' would require a total inability or unwillingness to look at basic facts and evidence.

Edited by Sheaf Saint

Amen. 240 pages of opinions, but the truth is that none of us has any more of a clue than the government, or parliament.

One thing is certain. However we leave, it will not be with no deal. Deals are already happening:

An agreement between the UK and European commission will guarantee the future of the Joint European Torus (Jet) nuclear fusion facility in Oxfordshire, regardless of the UK’s Brexit plans. Both parties have signed an extension to Jet’s contract that secures an additional €100 million (£86 million) of EU funding over the next two years and ensures the continuation of research until the end of 2020. The future of Jet has been uncertain for some time following the result of the UK referendum, especially as, when it leaves the EU, the UK is due to pull out of Euratom – the organisation that coordinates nuclear research around Europe, including work at Jet. The contract will enable the facility to push ahead with planned fusion tests in 2020, and offers job security for its staff of more than 500. It also contains the option to extend operations until 2024, a measure which may be necessary in the run-up to the new international experimental fusion reactor Iter in southern France, which is planned to open in 2025.

No need for Herbert to comment, as he knows f*** all about science. He's an economist, FFS :lol:

One thing is certain. However we leave, it will not be with no deal. Deals are already happening:

No need for Herbert to comment, as he knows f*** all about science. He's an economist, FFS :lol:

Honestly, JiJo, this is one of your weirdest posts yet - and there's plenty of competition. A deal to keep a scientific project going on short-term funding after a no-deal crash-out represents the tiniest fraction of a single per cent of the British economy. It hardly amounts to a saviour deal for no-deal, does it.

I have been pretty consistent in saying all side talk unadulterated shyte

£350m, 700,000 immediate job losses, no EU Army etc

Its all lies

And yet mainstream expert 'remain' predictions -ones without a political axe to grind- have proven pretty accurate. I suspect you won't be listening to them in the future despite being on the money.

https://www.ft.com/content/534e108a-4651-11e9-b168-96a37d002cd3

Edited by shurlock

And yet mainstream expert 'remain' predictions -ones without a political axe to grind- have proven pretty accurate. I suspect you won't be listening to them in the future despite being on the money.

https://www.ft.com/content/534e108a-4651-11e9-b168-96a37d002cd3

And plenty of leave people have been on the money.

There are plenty of absolute whoppers being told by all sides, amongst some sound advice... From all sides

That won't change with a people's vote or a general election BTW.

And plenty of leave people have been on the money.

There are plenty of absolute whoppers being told by all sides, amongst some sound advice... From all sides

That won't change with a people's vote or a general election BTW.

No they haven't. At least on the UK's economic performance, Brexiter forecasters -Minford's Liverpool Research Group being the most influential- have singularly the worst record among economists.

May's statement in a nutshell:

I'm going to keep bringing my withdrawal agreement back to the commons and if it doesn't pass next time then it's all Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Utterly, utterly delusional.

So are we just going to see the HoC reject May's deal and then reject their own ideas, over and over again, until we just drop out with no deal...

May's statement in a nutshell:

I'm going to keep bringing my withdrawal agreement back to the commons and if it doesn't pass next time then it's all Jeremy Corbyn's fault.

Utterly, utterly delusional.

In a smaller nutshell:

The headbangers have fu cked it fu cked it fu cked it.

Being a Brit living in the USA, I can tell you right now Americans have never heard about the special relationship except when a Prime minster visists the US and trots out the phrase and then the Americans think how quaint. Do not expect any help from this side of the pond, we are only known for royals, bad dentistry and the last acceptable use of Hollywood stereotypes.

Disrupting the railways? like anyone would notice late or non arriving trains. I assume the culprits don't use the British rail network very often or they would release train delays are a daily occurrence.

this made me laugh though :lol:

The contraptions were designed to tell signal workers that a train was stuck on the line, bringing lines to the halt.

They failed to disrupt services due to rules introduced to comply with EU regulations, the Daily Mirror reported.

Disrupting the railways? like anyone would notice late or non arriving trains. I assume the culprits don't use the British rail network very often or they would release train delays are a daily occurrence.

this made me laugh though :lol:

The contraptions were designed to tell signal workers that a train was stuck on the line, bringing lines to the halt.

They failed to disrupt services due to rules introduced to comply with EU regulations, the Daily Mirror reported.

Ha! Reminds me of that video of the pro-Brexit protester trying and failing to set fire to an EU flag, due to it being non flammable thanks to EU safety rules.

Ha! Reminds me of that video of the pro-Brexit protester trying and failing to set fire to an EU flag, due to it being non flammable thanks to EU safety rules.

Brilliant. The EU defeats Brexit Jihadists (hereafter BJs) by the simple method of making things idiot-proof.

EU says it would not open talks with UK after no-deal Brexit until it agrees to divorce bill and Irish backstop

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-eu-juncker-irish-border-backstop-theresa-may-a8852756.html

I think most people knew this but it rather smashes the idea that " No deal" was our ace in the hole that leavers wanted to believe it was.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Piers Morgan getting his stupid arse handed to him on Twitter is one of the most brilliant things you will read today...

https://twitter.com/EmporersNewC/status/1113547733300842497

So we voted to leave to stop freedom of movement and to make our own trade deals blah blah blah, but now we are leaving, but not taking back any control on the points on which the general election was won and the referendum result, so 2 public votes ( Take note pretty much every party was going to up hold the ref result during the election ) and now are not doing so.. Democracy.. obviously.

He is right though, the ref was a leave or remain, not we voted to LEAVE but are remaining with less power in the EU than before :mcinnes:, pointless Ref.

we are just doing what DC already tried to do before the ref, try get a better deal. wont happen. the EU have said this a million times already.

was Piers not a remainer? I swear he was a remainer..

I mean let’s be honest here if you want to go on a protest similar to those in the 70s and the latter Poll Tax revolts, burn a flag or two and can’t do that due to EU regs, what on earth is the world coming to. They can’t all be EU regulation as they seem to burn well in France. BTW does anyone know if the water canon has been sold to the French or on standby to keep the peasants down from revolting! Bloody Brexit will finish the UK. Shame on all politicians.

I mean let’s be honest here if you want to go on a protest similar to those in the 70s and the latter Poll Tax revolts, burn a flag or two and can’t do that due to EU regs, what on earth is the world coming to. They can’t all be EU regulation as they seem to burn well in France. BTW does anyone know if the water canon has been sold to the French or on standby to keep the peasants down from revolting! Bloody Brexit will finish the UK. Shame on all politicians.

nah, the french go old skool and just batter those protesting.

weird how hardly anything seen in the mainstream media over here

Too busy with Brexit to show what is going on in Europe and some of it ain’t pretty. Over here, it shows most weekends battle stations in And around Paris. We prefer to watch Euronews which seems to show more going on in Europe than British news which of course is mainly drawn on the UK.

Looks like May has bottled it. Having extended the olive branch to Corbyn, she's subsequently retracted it with Tory MPs threatening a full-scale rebellion. With her unwillingness to compromise on her red lines, things are one step closer to kicking off.

Edited by shurlock

Too busy with Brexit to show what is going on in Europe and some of it ain’t pretty. Over here, it shows most weekends battle stations in And around Paris. We prefer to watch Euronews which seems to show more going on in Europe than British news which of course is mainly drawn on the UK. And Brexit.

Too busy with Brexit to show what is going on in Europe and some of it ain’t pretty. Over here, it shows most weekends battle stations in And around Paris. We prefer to watch Euronews which seems to show more going on in Europe than British news which of course is mainly drawn on the UK. And Brexit.

The knife murders in London eclipse all other violent crime in EU countries so they understandably grab the crime headlines. The murder rate in London now even exceeds that in New York. You have to travel outside the EU to find other cities as violent as London.

The murder rate in London now even exceeds that in New York. You have to travel outside the EU to find other cities as violent as London.

It doesn't and you don't. Thats just sensational journalism taking one months figures and trying to create a story.

London has had a spike in knife crime but the murder rate is well below New York's and most European capitals. New York had a record low of 289 murders last year but London had only 132 with similar population.

London had only the 9th highest murder rate in the UK in 2017 - Glasgow is usually highest in UK and Manchester is first in England but rural Lincolnshire was second in 2017. London has a murder rate of around 1.6 per 100,000 people. Amsterdam, Berlin, Warsaw, Budapest are all worse. Place like Malmo (3.4) and Zurich 3.4 and the Baltic capitals are far worse

Edited by buctootim

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction