• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Dont you see you just proved the point. Replace EU with Westminster and you see the point. How accountable is a Tory govt to voters in Scotland, Wales, NI. How many voted for May as our prime minister.

You find reasons for the EU being a bureacratic nightmare i give you a dysfunctional, inefficient, financially unaccountable, undemocratic, dictatorial Govt in London.

Sent from my YOGA Tablet 2-1050F using Tapatalk

You are a Rangers fan, who wants to leave Uk and have a united Ireland? I thought you liked to paint your curb stones with the union flag colours.

Good luck with your economy and sectarian squabbles .Game of Thrones is coming to end as well.

You are a Rangers fan, who wants to leave Uk and have a united Ireland? I thought you liked to paint your curb stones with the union flag colours.

Good luck with your economy and sectarian squabbles .Game of Thrones is coming to end as well.

It is possible to have your own mix of views you know. You don't have to trot out a line every rime. Most of my Catholic NI family want to stay with the UK. Life isn't as pat as you'd like it

Who said life was simple and identity set in stone. I don't paint, haven't got the touch. As regards being a fan of RangersI wasn't aware I had to be a flag waving Nutkin to support them. You and mash head have some weird ideas what constitutes a football supporter. As for the talk of independence I am for self determination and not keeping a stranglehold or forcing a will on the people.

In this regard I have accepted brexit and the idiocy of the people who voted for it but don't cry when it opens Pandora's box and leaves England on her own. You voted for it, own it. You should be happy. Instead all I see is bitterness and pain. Your hatred didn't dissipate after the vote and you are starting to realise all you Turkeys voted for Christmas

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Rutte is going to form the next government in the Netherlands.

The perennially wrong trident and the other cross-eyed loons who've been creaming themselves that Brexit would create a domino effect are going to have to wait a little longer :lol:

1 down, 2 to go.

Le Pen is finished too. She's just as corrupt as Fillon is.

Macron is France's only hope. Unless he's involved in a major scandal, he will win easily.

Le Pen is finished too. She's just as corrupt as Fillon is.

Macron is France's only hope. Unless he's involved in a major scandal, he will win easily.

Brexit didn't depend on a right wing, anti-immigration party winning seats in an election. It depended on the will of the British people, to control their own laws and borders, being respected. UKIP got nowhere in the 2015 election....

The battleground is the economy, not elections; the euro, not immigration; national debt, not better together. The EU is f***ed and it will be impossible to hide that from the voters in the eurozone for much longer.

Anyone who didn't know you by now may have assumed that as your side prevailed in last year's referendum, and furthermore we now have a Tory Prime Minister in office who seems hell-bent on achieving the most extreme (and hence damaging of course) form of Brexit possible, this might all have mellowed your personality a little. After all, you and your type are now living the Little Englander dream are you not?

But no, instead of enjoying your euro-sceptic triumph you appear to be becoming ever more bitter and obsessive on the subject, endlessly picking pointless fights with anyone foolish enough listen to you. I genuinely believe that - in your mind - every opinion that you see on this tread that does not happen to conform with your own particular brand of extremist viewpoint is assumed to be some kind of personal affront intended for your eyes only - as if you were the centre of the known universe. Well *Newsflash* time Les - when people express their genuine fears for the economic and constitutional future of their nation you and your dysfunctional ego problems are not necessarily the first thing on their minds - yes a shocking thing to read I know! This issue confronting the British people is something that is far bigger than the Sez Les Show.

As for the Scottish question, as well as telling me you were not bothered about that little poser I can also recall you telling me not so long ago that the dismantling of the United Kingdom was (and I will quote you here) "a price worth paying" anyway - as long as you got your way and we departed the European Union. Well then, it seems to me that instead of adopting your oh so familiar 'deny everything' tactic in regard to any possible negative consequence of Brexit you would do better to have the courage of your own convictions and accept that what may well be about to happen to the UK is just a inevitable consequence of the outcome you sought.

Your mother did teach you that actions have consequences didn't she?

Calm down, dear, I worry for your health. You're also coming across as rather shrill, which is not going to assist the image you try to project as a sensible observer of events, methinks.

It also doesn't help throwing about insults at me, which presumably also apply towards over half of the electorate who voted in the referendum. I've told you many times before, that it isn't logical to label those who seek to expand our trade with the global market place as "little Englanders". We are looking outwards, not towards inward isolation.

Theresa May is not hell-bent on achieving the most extreme form of Brexit possible. If you cared to read her remarks without blinkers, then you would see that her position is to achieve the best possible deal for Britain, but as in any negotiations, one must be prepared to walk away if the terms offered are not acceptable. The fall back position is to go with WTO terms if the EU don't wish to allow us access to the single market on reasonable terms that don't include the four freedoms which together were the main cause of the vote to leave the UK. What is extremist about that? Surely you would wish us to go to the table with a strong negotiating hand, wouldn't you?

I am happy to reiterate that if Scotland voted to leave the UK because they wished to remain in the EU, it would be a price worth paying in my opinion. I could hardly hold the position that we should be allowed a referendum vote on whether we remain in one union and deny the Scots their vote on their continued membership of another union. However, they have already had a recent referendum on that, so it is clear that the SNP seek any excuse to have successive referenda until they achieve their goal, so naturally their ambitions will be met increasingly with a resigned metaphorical shrug of the shoulders. But even as a hypothetical situation, it is extremely unlikely to happen. It has become clear that Scotland would have to leave the EU with us and reapply to join, leaving them in limbo for some considerable time, because their application would be vetoed by Spain and maybe others.

Regarding your last paragraph, here is your usual arrogance surfacing once more. You accuse me of ignoring the possible negative consequences of Brexit and that they may be caused by the outcome I sought. I invite you to look at the reasons why the referendum vote took place in the first place and to accept that the actions of what became the EU brought about the consequences of the situation that we face regarding our future. Whether or not there is a negative outcome to our leaving remains to be seen. Why don't you wait until events unfold before indulging in your Private Fraser act?

As for your last sentence, well, that is beyond contempt.

Brexit didn't depend on a right wing, anti-immigration party winning seats in an election. It depended on the will of the British people, to control their own laws and borders, being respected. UKIP got nowhere in the 2015 election....

The battleground is the economy, not elections; the euro, not immigration; national debt, not better together. The EU is f***ed and it will be impossible to hide that from the voters in the eurozone for much longer.

The people of Europe are perfectly happy with the European Union. The right-wing press want to convince everyone here that a wave of Euroscepticism is sweeping Europe. They couldn't be further from the truth.

Dont you see you just proved the point. Replace EU with Westminster and you see the point. How accountable is a Tory govt to voters in Scotland, Wales, NI. How many voted for May as our prime minister.

You find reasons for the EU being a bureacratic nightmare i give you a dysfunctional, inefficient, financially unaccountable, undemocratic, dictatorial Govt in London.

I can only agree with you but that situation is amplified with the EU. Of course the UK gets less than they put into the EU and there are not 27 member states to make decision making slow and ineffective. Northern Ireland, Wales and Scotland receive more than they put into the pot so that is one difference. Culturally we are more aligned - you support an English football team, you spend the same money, the war memorials in your villages bear the names of the same conflicts, you speak the same language. Ultimately if more people had voted to remain in Northern, Ireland and Scotland we would have remained in. In 2005 we had a labour government, made up of a lot of Scots who were put there by the votes of the Scots and the Welsh. The English voted Tory.

More bad news for the Remainers:

Toyota is to invest £240m in upgrading its UK factory that makes the Auris and Avensis models. The Japanese carmaker's investment in the Burnaston plant near Derby will allow production of vehicles using its new global manufacturing system. The factory employs about 2,500 people, while another 590 work at Toyota's engine plant at Deeside, North Wales. Burnaston made about 180,000 vehicles last year, most of which are exported to Europe and other markets.

Last time I was in China, my interpreter told me that the North Korean people were perfectly happy with their system...

Trident - that observation is as moronic as the first time you said it. You need some new material pal.

Btw what does your Chinese interpreter know about North Korea - other than knowing how to spin and pull the rug over gullible foreigners?

The people of Europe are perfectly happy with the European Union.

Perfect timing....:lol:

News of a parcel bomb going off at the International Monetary Fund’s headquarters in Paris swept through the Greek media on Thursday afternoon as it came just a day after a similar device was posted from Greece to the German Finance Ministry. Reuters reported that one person was “slightly injured” after opening the booby-trapped letter at the IMF’s Paris office.

The news came just a few hours after Greek anti-establishment group Conspiracy of the Cells of Fire claimed responsibility for sending a similar parcel to German Finance Minister Wolfgang Schaeuble on Wednesday. That parcel was intercepted at the ministry and handed over to bomb disposal experts before it could cause any damage or injury.

I Ultimately if more people had voted to remain in Northern, Ireland and Scotland we would have remained in. In 2005 we had a labour government, made up of a lot of Scots who were put there by the votes of the Scots and the Welsh. The XEnglish voted Tory.

Ni and Scotland voted remain. Population means 100% votes for remain would have made no difference to overall U.K. Vote

Ni and Scotland voted remain. Population means 100% votes for remain would have made no difference to overall U.K. Vote

I think what he's saying is that the 1,367,764 people who voted 'leave' in NI and Scotland is greater than the 1,269,501 votes that 'leave' won by overall, thus (technically) the 'leave' voters of Scotland and NI *could* have prevented 'leave' winning overall if they had voted to remain. (Yes, and the same could be said about other voting 'blocks' around the UK too...)

Perfect timing....:lol:

Last time I checked the UK was a member of the IMF.

Your dark, sweaty fantasies of continental implosion would be quite sweet, if they weren't so stupidly self-defeating, little kipper.

Edited by shurlock

You don't seem to have much idea how the Scottish voting system works, do you? Combining elements of PR, it's explicitly designed to stop one party having overall control. Best stick to your Bill Murray pics, pal.

Aah, thanks for that. So it's explicitly designed to stop one party having overall control. I was wondering how the SNP Managed to get overall control of the previous parliament.

Now we know. Where would we be without your informed input to the thread.

Can somebody explain to me why the British govenrment are so keen for Scotland to stay with us. Surely as they are heavily subsidised by the English would we not be better off?

I personally admire the Scots and they have been fantastic brave allies in the past, I dont admire their leaders though

Aah, thanks for that. So it's explicitly designed to stop one party having overall control. I was wondering how the SNP Managed to get overall control of the previous parliament.

Now we know. Where would we be without your informed input to the thread.

What part of the word 'design' don't you understand?

Design "to do or plan (something) with a specific purpose in mind". Did I say it always stopped one party enjoying a majority in practice? Not all designs work as succesfully as their architects envisaged or hoped.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/nov/15/scottish-voting-system-unfair

Try and read before making a fool of yourself.

Who said life was simple and identity set in stone. I don't paint, haven't got the touch. As regards being a fan of RangersI wasn't aware I had to be a flag waving Nutkin to support them. You and mash head have some weird ideas what constitutes a football supporter. As for the talk of independence I am for self determination and not keeping a stranglehold or forcing a will on the people.

In this regard I have accepted brexit and the idiocy of the people who voted for it but don't cry when it opens Pandora's box and leaves England on her own. You voted for it, own it. You should be happy. Instead all I see is bitterness and pain. Your hatred didn't dissipate after the vote and you are starting to realise all you Turkeys voted for Christmas

You deduce a lot from my post that was in essence taking the p1ss. Gave you benefit of doubt but now see you are bit of a thicko with pretensions.

Putting me in Sour Mash's camp and thinking I voted for Brexit also makes you a patronising cnt.

Self determination and strangleholds? Oh dear someone seems a little out of their depth.

Don't tell me you want to be seen as the progressive thinker? also wears Celtic colours and wants love peace and harmony. Well not really as you seem the one with the bitterness. As Englishmen we are used to it. Carry on getting angry.

It is possible to have your own mix of views you know. You don't have to trot out a line every rime. Most of my Catholic NI family want to stay with the UK. Life isn't as pat as you'd like it

oh thanks and another idiot who loves to assume. And of course always family to evidence that they know more than you.

Why does an Irishman even support a Scottish team if it isn't about sectarianism? Maybe it isn't as simple as that eh.

oh thanks and another idiot who loves to assume. And of course always family to evidence that they know more than you.

Why does an Irishman even support a Scottish team if it isn't about sectarianism? Maybe it isn't as simple as that eh.

Ooh! a left wing Wes, strong opinions, weak reasoning.

We can talk about my family if you want. My uncle is one of 13 one of whom is a nun. His neighbour is gerry adams, to whom he gave his first job. He is an ecumenical preacher who likes Cornwall supports Liverpool, shops in marks & Spencer, voted remain and is a loyalist

Sectarian or not sectarian? Terrorist supporter or peace maker? Got to pigeonhole people dontchaknow?

We can talk about my family if you want. My uncle is one of 13 one of whom is a nun. His neighbour is gerry adams, to whom he gave his first job. He is an ecumenical preacher who likes Cornwall supports Liverpool, shops in marks & Spencer, voted remain and is a loyalist

Sectarian or not sectarian? Terrorist supporter or peace maker? Got to pigeonhole people dontchaknow?

I don't care about your family interesting though it is as to where they may shop.

And terrorist. Loads of the church harboured provos including my dad who was a priest who served time Maze although never missed a Rangers game. Had a season ticket next to Martin McGuiness.

And where did you get left wing from plum?

I don't care about your family interesting though it is as to where they may shop.

And terrorist. Loads of the church harboured provos including my dad who was a priest who served time Maze although never missed a Rangers game. Had a season ticket next to Martin McGuiness.

Do you need a bigger spade for your bigger hole?

You're not that hot on the reasoning yourself, Timmy, insisting that we would be going for the Norway option post Brexit. Any talk on that being a possibility has gone rather quiet. You do recall the £50 charity bet we had on that, I hope.

You deduce a lot from my post that was in essence taking the p1ss. Gave you benefit of doubt but now see you are bit of a thicko with pretensions.

Putting me in Sour Mash's camp and thinking I voted for Brexit also makes you a patronising cnt.

Self determination and strangleholds? Oh dear someone seems a little out of their depth.

Don't tell me you want to be seen as the progressive thinker? also wears Celtic colours and wants love peace and harmony. Well not really as you seem the one with the bitterness. As Englishmen we are used to it. Carry on getting angry.

Ouch, goodness she is touchy.

Calm down, dear, I worry for your health. You're also coming across as rather shrill, which is not going to assist the image you try to project as a sensible observer of events, methinks.

It also doesn't help throwing about insults at me, which presumably also apply towards over half of the electorate who voted in the referendum. I've told you many times before, that it isn't logical to label those who seek to expand our trade with the global market place as "little Englanders". We are looking outwards, not towards inward isolation.

Theresa May is not hell-bent on achieving the most extreme form of Brexit possible. If you cared to read her remarks without blinkers, then you would see that her position is to achieve the best possible deal for Britain, but as in any negotiations, one must be prepared to walk away if the terms offered are not acceptable. The fall back position is to go with WTO terms if the EU don't wish to allow us access to the single market on reasonable terms that don't include the four freedoms which together were the main cause of the vote to leave the UK. What is extremist about that? Surely you would wish us to go to the table with a strong negotiating hand, wouldn't you?

I am happy to reiterate that if Scotland voted to leave the UK because they wished to remain in the EU, it would be a price worth paying in my opinion. I could hardly hold the position that we should be allowed a referendum vote on whether we remain in one union and deny the Scots their vote on their continued membership of another union. However, they have already had a recent referendum on that, so it is clear that the SNP seek any excuse to have successive referenda until they achieve their goal, so naturally their ambitions will be met increasingly with a resigned metaphorical shrug of the shoulders. But even as a hypothetical situation, it is extremely unlikely to happen. It has become clear that Scotland would have to leave the EU with us and reapply to join, leaving them in limbo for some considerable time, because their application would be vetoed by Spain and maybe others.

Regarding your last paragraph, here is your usual arrogance surfacing once more. You accuse me of ignoring the possible negative consequences of Brexit and that they may be caused by the outcome I sought. I invite you to look at the reasons why the referendum vote took place in the first place and to accept that the actions of what became the EU brought about the consequences of the situation that we face regarding our future. Whether or not there is a negative outcome to our leaving remains to be seen. Why don't you wait until events unfold before indulging in your Private Fraser act?

As for your last sentence, well, that is beyond contempt.

First off. let me say how overjoyed I am that "shrill" has at long last made its welcome return to your somewhat limited vocabulary - if only you could have avoided the obvious error of over-employing the noun "arrogance" for the umpteenth time too then your stuff might even make less tedious reading one day. So some signs of progress here then.

But as for the rest, I'm struggling to find ANYTHING in the above that you haven't opined on here a hundred (or do I mean a thousand) times before. You seem utterly incapable of comprehending that mere repartition of a weak argument doesn't tend to make it any more convincing. Worse than that, as you are obviously unable to add anything new to this debate, and therefore resort to repeating yourself, this tends to leave me with little real choice but to follow your example and reply with arguments that have also been well aired. In that sense you are dragging me down with you.

I already know that you feel the potential breaking of our old nation is "a price worth paying" because you told me that bilge a year ago. You also told me at the same time that you were "not bothered" about the prospect anyway.Those methinks are quite bizarre attitudes when expressed by someone who also claims to be a patriot concerned with the sovereignty of his nation's law and ancient institutions - but clearly your (highly peculiar) sense of patriotism doesn't seem to stretch far beyond the bounds of Little England. All in all Les, you really are not much of a 'one nation' Tory - to put it mildly.

I must also say that for a man so lacking in humour it is almost comical that you choose to criticise others for resorting to insults, when the record indisputably shows that you yourself do little else on here now. Again, your characteristic lack of any real degree of self-awareness constantly leads you into this type of unconscious hypocrisy. It is equally absurd of course to lecture others that they should wait and see what happens before expressing any opinion on this subject when you freely 'rush to judgement' on here in regard to our Brexit future on a almost daily basis! Yet more hypocrisy from a renowned specialist in the field.

But if you really want to convince anyone reading this that you are not the obsessed and narrow-minded europhobe you come across as, then there is a easy way to prove it - i.e. leave this thread for a week or two if you can. Needless to say, I really don't believe that you are capable of that.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

If leaving the EU means we get rid of the whinging Scots & that corrupt cesspit that is NI, then it's a win-win-win as far as I'm concerned. England & Wales are perfectly capable of forging a great future together.

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

If leaving the EU means we get rid of the whinging Scots & that corrupt cesspit that is NI, then it's a win-win-win as far as I'm concerned. England & Wales are perfectly capable of forging a great future together.

[emoji23]

First off. let me say how overjoyed I am that "shrill" has at long last made its welcome return to your somewhat limited vocabulary - if only you could have avoided the obvious error of over-employing the noun "arrogance" for the umpteenth time too then your stuff might even make less tedious reading one day. So some signs of progress here then.

But as for the rest, I'm struggling to find ANYTHING in the above that you haven't opined on here a hundred (or do I mean a thousand) times before. You seem utterly incapable of comprehending that mere repartition of a weak argument doesn't tend to make it any more convincing. Worse than that, as you are obviously unable to add anything new to this debate, and therefore resort to repeating yourself, this tends to leave me with little real choice but to follow your example and reply with arguments that have also been well aired. In that sense you are dragging me down with you.

I already know that you feel the potential breaking of our old nation is "a price worth paying" because you told me that bilge a year ago. You also told me at the same time that you were "not bothered" about the prospect anyway.Those methinks are quite bizarre attitudes when expressed by someone who also claims to be a patriot concerned with the sovereignty of his nation's law and ancient institutions - but clearly your (highly peculiar) sense of patriotism doesn't seem to stretch far beyond the bounds of Little England. All in all Les, you really are not much of a 'one nation' Tory - to put it mildly.

I must also say that for a man so lacking in humour it is almost comical that you choose to criticise others for resorting to insults, when the record indisputably shows that you yourself do little else on here now. Again, your characteristic lack of any real degree of self-awareness constantly leads you into this type of unconscious hypocrisy. It is equally absurd of course to lecture others that they should wait and see what happens before expressing any opinion on this subject when you freely 'rush to judgement' on here in regard to our Brexit future on a almost daily basis! Yet more hypocrisy from a renowned specialist in the field.

But if you really want to convince anyone reading this that you are not the obsessed and narrow-minded europhobe you come across as, then there is a easy way to prove it - i.e. leave this thread for a week or two if you can. Needless to say, I really don't believe that you are capable of that.

It's a lovely sunny day, Charles, and the Queen has given her assent for the Brexit process to move forward. Why don't you just go out today, enjoy the sunshine and the early spring blossom and relax. Sing a verse or two of Que que, sera. You can't go on stressing about things that might not happen; it will be injurious to your health, methinks

It's a lovely sunny day, Charles, and the Queen has given her assent for the Brexit process to move forward. Why don't you just go out today, enjoy the sunshine and the early spring blossom and relax. Sing a verse or two of Que que, sera. You can't go on stressing about things that might not happen; it will be injurious to your health, methinks

Wot no "shrill" today Les? How disappointing ...

I suppose it was asking quite a lot to expect you to try and leave the Sez Les Show alone for a week. But I would have thought that a hour or two should have been achievable - even for an obsessed loon of your reputation. As for the weather this morning, even as I pen this little note I'm outdoors basking in the eternal sunshine, and sense of mild satisfaction, I often get from being proven a good judge of character when it come to you.

:nod:

Wot no "shrill" today Les? How disappointing ...

I suppose it was asking quite a lot to expect you to try and leave the Sez Les Show alone for a week. But I would have thought that a hour or two should have been achievable - even for an obsessed loon of your reputation. As for the weather this morning, even as I pen this little note I'm outdoors basking in the eternal sunshine, and sense of mild satisfaction, I often get from being proven a good judge of character when it come to you.

:nod:

I'm pleased for you that you are de-stressing and simultaneously giving your ego a good massage. :p

Here's a little snippet to lighten your mood still further, Charles. It seems that losing one's smart phone rates as more stressful than Brexit.

http://www.physoc.org/sites/default/files/page/1736%208%20page%20report%20%283%29.pdf

It's nice to put everyday life into perspective, isn't it?

If you have one, my advice to you is not to put your smart phone in your shirt pocket in case it falls into the toilet pan when you lean over whilst having a pee.

The forum may note that, in a wild change of direction, our Les is currently attempting to portray himself as a sage (if slightly world wary) commentator on events - a calm and reasonable man who is at peace with himself during his declining years. This gloriously unlikely new persona might even come across as nearly convincing I suppose - were it not for the fact that this sudden volte-face has only emerged today after 18 months of unceasing obsession, aggression and naked denial.

Looking back at the 27,847 posts he has managed to amass of this subject I ask myself what does this huge pile of europhobic verbiage all amount to ultimately? To resort to the (bad) habit of answering my own question, I'm thinking that Shakespeare must have somehow foreseen the emergence of the 'Sez Les Show' all those centuries ago when he wrote that: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

So I await with much anticipation which of his many personalities he will decide to adopt in his next communication.

The forum may note that, in a wild change of direction, our Les is currently attempting to portray himself as a sage (if slightly world wary) commentator on events - a calm and reasonable man who is at peace with himself during his declining years. This gloriously unlikely new persona might even come across as nearly convincing I suppose - were it not for the fact that this sudden volte-face has only emerged today after 18 months of unceasing obsession, aggression and naked denial.

Looking back at the 27,847 posts he has managed to amass of this subject I ask myself what does this huge pile of europhobic verbiage all amount to ultimately? To resort to the (bad) habit of answering my own question, I'm thinking that Shakespeare must have somehow foreseen the emergence of the 'Sez Les Show' all those centuries ago when he wrote that: "It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing".

So I await with much anticipation which of his many personalities he will decide to adopt in his next communication.

The penny doesn't drop, does it? Any significant events happen in the past 24 hours? Oh yes. Now it all becomes clear to you. The Queen gave her Royal Assent to the Article 50 Bill. So if I'm entirely relaxed about everything, it is because the process of leaving the EU has finally come about after my 27,848 posts.

Am I world-wary? No. I look forward to the Global trade. World-weary? Perhaps.

Congratulations on that Shakespeare quote. I did Macbeth for my O Level English Literature and can quote the whole speech even now. I am flattered though that you believe that Shakespeare might have anticipated my posts on a football forum thread when he wrote it. :lol:

I have used those same lines in a post myself, perhaps in the earlier Referendum Campaign thread, although I would not have had the imagination to have accredited Will's inspiration for it to anybody living so far in the future; that didn't appear to be his style.

The penny doesn't drop, does it? Any significant events happen in the past 24 hours? Oh yes. Now it all becomes clear to you. The Queen gave her Royal Assent to the Article 50 Bill. So if I'm entirely relaxed about everything, it is because the process of leaving the EU has finally come about after my 27,848 posts.

Am I world-wary? No. I look forward to the Global trade. World-weary? Perhaps.

Congratulations on that Shakespeare quote. I did Macbeth for my O Level English Literature and can quote the whole speech even now. I am flattered though that you believe that Shakespeare might have anticipated my posts on a football forum thread when he wrote it. :lol:

I have used those same lines in a post myself, perhaps in the earlier Referendum Campaign thread, although I would not have had the imagination to have accredited Will's inspiration for it to anybody living so far in the future; that didn't appear to be his style.

But Royal Ascent was a mere formality after the Bill in question passed though Parliament. For that matter, there was never any real question that this enabling measure would eventually succeed anyway given the reality of the political situation. So as historic events go today will one suspects hardly endure long in the memory of the British people. I must say I would have expected that a constitutional expert of your standing would have a better understanding here.

My tactical tip of the day to you would be that "Laid Back Les" would come across rather more persuasively on here if he could avoid overstating his case - such as it is. Furthermore, replying to me this often is hardly likely to improve the plausibility of your new model relaxed personality. Ironically, in order to appear to be relaxed you really must try harder than this old boy.

But keep at it by all means because I must admit you are atypically entertaining today.

The strongly pro-Brexit Sun on how the May government has done precisely no work on the impact of leaving the EU on Britain's airlines. Nada - nothing at all.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3116950/officials-have-ordered-no-research-for-the-impact-of-brexit-on-our-airlines-the-transport-minister-john-hayes-admits/

This follows David Davis's admission this week to the Brexit select committee that he had "no idea" how a no-deal, hard Brexit will impact the British economy.

If I were a Brexiteer I'd be getting nervous at the incompetence of government's handling of Brexit preparations. They'll get away with it only because Britain has become the first western democracy in which there is no opposition. So the only opposition (as with the budget) can come from within Tory ranks - and on this subject it just isn't going to happen. The ship of fools has sailed.

It does mean though that with such incompetence comes the prospect of growing popular rejection among those (basically all areas of the UK except London) who will suffer the consequences.

The strongly pro-Brexit Sun on how the May government has done precisely no work on the impact of leaving the EU on Britain's airlines. Nada - nothing at all.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/3116950/officials-have-ordered-no-research-for-the-impact-of-brexit-on-our-airlines-the-transport-minister-john-hayes-admits/

This follows David Davis's admission this week to the Brexit select committee that he had "no idea" how a no-deal, hard Brexit will impact the British economy.

If I were a Brexiteer I'd be getting nervous at the incompetence of government's handling of Brexit preparations. They'll get away with it only because Britain has become the first western democracy in which there is no opposition. So the only opposition (as with the budget) can come from within Tory ranks - and on this subject it just isn't going to happen. The ship of fools has sailed.

It does mean though that with such incompetence comes the prospect of growing popular rejection among those (basically all areas of the UK except London) who will suffer the consequences.

Suck it up snowflake

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39335904

Many MPs are complaining that the BBC is biased towards the Remain position and is not going to be doing us any favours when it comes to negotiating the best possible deal in the forthcoming couple of years following on from the triggering of Article 50 on 29th.

A BBC spokesman said: "While we are always live to our critics and understand that passions are running high on all sides of the debate, it is the job of the BBC to scrutinise and analyse the issues on behalf of the public and to hold politicians to account across the political spectrum.

"That is what the BBC has been doing. It is what the BBC will continue to do. It is precisely because of this, that the public trusts the BBC."

That isn't what they have been doing and as a result, they are not at all trusted. As long as they remain true to their charter to report news without bias, there is no reason to question their continued funding from the public purse. But the accusations of bias towards their reporting during the Referendum Campaign and in the ensuing 9 months have provoked a growing clamour for their public funding to cease. Despite their prominent role in the project fear strategy in the run up to 23rd June, they continue to report anything negative that they can get their hands on, whilst simultaneously doing their best to ignore any positive news that has come about, unless they prefix it as being "despite Brexit".

Is it too much to expect that during the massively important negotiations of the next couple of years, that our national broadcasting service attempts to report the process and the future prospects of our country fairly and with some degree of optimism?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/03/21/bbcs-bias-against-brexit-could-do-real-harm-britain/

Don't worry, BoJo's on the case:

Boris Johnson will avoid discussing claims the UK's intelligence agency spied on Donald Trump when he visits Washington later, officials say.

Instead, the foreign secretary will focus on forging a UK-US free trade Brexit deal when he meets senior members of the president's team.

:badger:

Is it too much to expect that during the massively important negotiations of the next couple of years, that our national broadcasting service attempts to report the process and the future prospects of our country fairly and with some degree of optimism?

The BBC always gives a balanced point of view, often too balanced. I anm constantly surprised that they don't have to follow every Brain Cox appearance with a response from flat earthers and Creationists

As for the idea that they should keep an optimistic tone, these are trade negotiations, the country is not at war with Europe. Censorship may be high up on Trump's and May's agenda, but not mine.

Tell the 78 MP's to switch over to Fox news instead.

Many MPs are complaining that the BBC is biased towards the Remain position and is not going to be doing us any favours when it comes to negotiating the best possible deal in the forthcoming couple of years following on from the triggering of Article 50 on 29th.

That isn't what they have been doing and as a result, they are not at all trusted. As long as they remain true to their charter to report news without bias, there is no reason to question their continued funding from the public purse. But the accusations of bias towards their reporting during the Referendum Campaign and in the ensuing 9 months have provoked a growing clamour for their public funding to cease. Despite their prominent role in the project fear strategy in the run up to 23rd June, they continue to report anything negative that they can get their hands on, whilst simultaneously doing their best to ignore any positive news that has come about, unless they prefix it as being "despite Brexit".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/2017/03/21/bbcs-bias-against-brexit-could-do-real-harm-britain/

Always need someone else to blame. What next? We'd have got a great deal if it wasn't for the BBC? Laughably pathetic and yet here you are swallowing it up.

The BBC always gives a balanced point of view, often too balanced. I anm constantly surprised that they don't have to follow every Brain Cox appearance with a response from flat earthers and Creationists

As for the idea that they should keep an optimistic tone, these are trade negotiations, the country is not at war with Europe. Censorship may be high up on Trump's and May's agenda, but not mine.

Tell the 78 MP's to switch over to Fox news instead.

Does the Red part of your name refer to the Saints colours, or your political affiliations? Judging from your reply, I suspect the latter.

The BBC always gives a balanced point of view? :lol:

As for the rest of your post, its given me a good belly laugh too.

You're surprised that cranks like flat earthers and creationists aren't accorded the same right of reply that should be granted to those who believe that the UK will prosper outside of the EU? No doubt you believe that the Brexiteers are cranks too.:lol:

Surely the Beeb could adopt a more optimistic tone in the interests of balance without you suggesting that that is a scenario which would only apply to a war situation. In any event, we have no bones to pick with Europe, only the part of it that is the EU. Censorship is not on your agenda, but you are quite content for the BBC to indulge in censorship to suit their agenda. The irony doesn't seem to occur to you.

Why should those 78 MPs switch to Fox news instead? Aren't they entitled to be critical of our national broadcaster and hold it to account as the recipient of tax payers monies (and EU grants) which fund it? :rolleyes:

Les -more spectacular non-sequiturs. The BBC believes its role is to challenge and hold government to account, as epitomised by the Paxmans of this world and the notion of the Fourth Estate. Now that Brexit is the policy of the day, its being duly scrutinised. The more far-reaching the policy action, the more intense the scrutinty.

Haranguing the 'media' for not being 'optimistic' enough is straight out of the authoritarian playbook (of course, we have a docile, privately-owned print press that's all too happy to do the government's bidding). If you think the BBC should keep schtum, I'd suggest democratic accontability is not your cup of tea, little kipper.

Edited by shurlock

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction