• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

They've probably worked out that the Civics manufactured in Turkey are turned out at about half of the price of those made in Swindon.

They're closing the Turkish plant as well. Maybe our resident economics experts can explain to a thicko like me why, with the upcoming zero tariffs on Japanese auto exports to the EU, under the recent free trade deal between the EU and Japan, they would have any reason to manufacture cars in the EU.

We all know the answer. Making Japan Great Again....:lol:

Meanwhile:

"Europe's financial markets regulator has given UK-based derivatives clearing houses permission to continue serving EU clients in the event of a no-deal Brexit – a major boost to London's battle to remain the central market for euro clearing. The European Securities and Markets Authority (ESMA) said the decision to allow LCH Limited, ICE Clear Europe and LME Clear to continue operating was to limit disruption and avoid potentially negative impacts on financial market stability. "

That is fine in the short term, but hasn't there been talk that as these UK CCPs would be "Systemically Important" due the level of transactions that they process, and being classified as "Third Country CCP"s after Brexit, they would come under pressure to relocate at least part of their business into the EU ?

The Turkish plant also faced closure, according to a statement issued by Mr Tomlinson and Robert Buckland, the MP for South Swindon.

"Honda have been very clear – this decision has been made because of global trends and is not related to Brexit. The Turkey factory will also close as all European market production is being consolidated to Japan."

Autocar magazine said that Donald Trump's threat of import tariffs for European-made cars was a "significant factor" as many UK-made Civics are exported to the US.

They're closing the Turkish plant as well. Maybe our resident economics experts can explain to a thicko like me why, with the upcoming zero tariffs on Japanese auto exports to the EU, under the recent free trade deal between the EU and Japan, they would have any reason to manufacture cars in the EU.

We all know the answer. Making Japan Great Again....:lol:

Turkey aren't in the EU though, as we won't be soon. Not getting your point?

They were staying in the UK due to the subsidies - as they always have. With zero tariffs, it is cheaper to build in the UK with the subsidies. Now they have no choice, as we can't offer zero tariffs.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

But the trade agreement was announced 30 months after we decided to leave the EU - why would it do anything to look after the people of Swindon?

Why indeed!

Also, is there any evidence whatsoever that the EU would NOT have struck this trade agreement with Japan - negotiations started in 2013 didn't they, long before Brexit was even dreamt of?

It allows Honda to produce their cars in Japan where most of their plants are and then ship them to the EU without having to pay the import tariffs they have been, which does reduce one of the reasons for needing a plant in the UK

Perhaps 'Brexit' is a convenient scapegoat?

Why indeed!

Also, is there any evidence whatsoever that the EU would NOT have struck this trade agreement with Japan - negotiations started in 2013 didn't they, long before Brexit was even dreamt of?

Investment in the UK car industry has halved in 2 years since we decided to leave the EU

Why indeed!

I retired at 41 through building up and selling a successful business, and as a businessman obviously you use convenient excuses where they exist.

in this case however, the main economist quoted by Brexit supporters as support of the cause, Professor Minford, stated to a select committee that Brexit will see the end of the UK manufacturing sector, much like mining.

own it

We all know the answer. Making Japan Great Again....[emoji38]

Are free trade deals with countries that aren't in Europe a bad thing now, then?

Are free trade deals with countries that aren't in Europe a bad thing now, then?

The UK should slap a 25% tariff on German and Japanese cars and obtain a free trade agreement with the US, (with 0% tariffs on autos). That'll make the Japanese and Germans manufacture cars in the UK after Brexit. 12% corporation tax will seal the deal...

The UK should slap a 25% tariff on German and Japanese cars and obtain a free trade agreement with the US, (with 0% tariffs on autos). That'll make the Japanese and Germans manufacture cars in the UK after Brexit. 12% corporation tax will seal the deal...

Why wouldn't the Japanese and Germans just (continue to) manufacture cars in the US or Mexico? You might want to go the drawing board with your little plan, pal.

I don't think the Japanese want to do business with UK period.

They were promised frictionless trade by Thatcher in the 1980s which with Brexit is going to end

After a February meeting in 2018 between U.K. Prime Minister Theresa May and 19 Japanese business chiefs, Tokyo’s ambassador to Britain warned what might happen if Brexit took an unfavourable turn for foreign investors.

“No Japanese private company can continue operations” in the U.K. if it becomes unprofitable, Koji Tsuruoka told reporters on the steps of May’s Downing Street residence, after the premier pledged to pursue frictionless trade with the European Union. “It is as simple as that.”

I think we should just bring back the Austin Allegro and label anyone who doesn't drive one a commie quisling traitor. Fetch the piano wire.

Honda boss on radio 4 this morning.

"This is not a Brexit related issue for us,”

Sent from my iPad using Crapatalk

Christ, the straw-clutching from the purple-headed Jihadists...

Honda, like the majority of manufacturing in the UK, has turned off the investment tap since the 2016 referendum. You can try to claim that issues like the sharp decline in diesel sales is responsible, but there are two responses that car makers can opt for: invest in new technology (including electric-powered cars) or run down existing plant and quietly walk away. Honda have clearly opted for the latter in Britain. Depressingly, despite soothing words, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Nissan go the same way. It's already taken the first step.

The Japan-EU trade deal - something that the UK simply won't be able to replicate - has accelerated this. And this is touted by Honda themselves as a major influence on their decision. One of the reasons for that is that it's unlikely - given the Jihadist capture (Irish extremists plus the ETG cult) of the Tory party and the prostration of the opposition - that there will be anything like truly 'frictionless' trade between the EU and the UK. It will be easier to do business with the EU directly from Japan rather than the tangled mess of whatever trade deal eventually - in five, ten or more years, eventually emerges between Britain and Europe.

AS for 'global trends', this is also not about Honda retrenching to Japan. The company still maintains plants across the world - even Pakistan has less trouble hanging on to its Honda factory than the cretinous political class and their cult followers in the UK.

Officials in Calais say in the event of a no deal brexit, movement of traffic/lorries etc will continue at the same pace and no need for the U.K. to divert to other ports

Amazing, eh!

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-uk-will-apply-food-tariffs-in-case-of-no-deal-michael-gove-says?

It looks as if the Brexiteers cannot even agree amongst themselves on the extent of delays that will occur at the Channel after Brexit.... but if I had to choose between Batman and Michael Gove I know who I would believe.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/feb/19/brexit-uk-will-apply-food-tariffs-in-case-of-no-deal-michael-gove-says?

It looks as if the Brexiteers cannot even agree amongst themselves on the extent of delays that will occur at the Channel after Brexit.... but if I had to choose between Batman and Michael Gove I know who I would believe.

I was up in Calais the other day, waiting for my ferry. There was a DFDS ship alongside and they must have embarked nigh on 100 trucks. Thought to myself, do the Brits really need all the crap in those buggers. I'm sure you could do without the half of it.

Edited by Window Cleaner

I thought Brexit was supposed to make us the darling of the global economy, a really wonderful place for business that foreign multinationals will be falling over themselves to invest in. Is that bit not happening then?

Interesting insight from the FT's Tokyo correspondent Robin Harding. During negotiations on the Japan-EU trade deal, the Tory government pushed for the earliest possible reduction in tariffs are vehicles, believing that this would help Japanese assembly plants in the UK. This logic only worked, of course, if Britain were in the EU. German and French car makers thought Japan would just repatriate its car plants.

Still, nothing at all to do with Brexit - Nada, nyet, oh no...

I looked at the EU's press release on the Japanese deal. Don't seem to be at all worried about any job loss in the car sector. Just a lot of trumpet blowing about how much more Beef, Pork and Cheese that can be sent towards Japan. So if your nation has a lot of meat and cheese to sell, you're quids in, if you make Japanese cars you're not.

Christ, the straw-clutching from the purple-headed Jihadists...

Honda, like the majority of manufacturing in the UK, has turned off the investment tap since the 2016 referendum. You can try to claim that issues like the sharp decline in diesel sales is responsible, but there are two responses that car makers can opt for: invest in new technology (including electric-powered cars) or run down existing plant and quietly walk away. Honda have clearly opted for the latter in Britain. Depressingly, despite soothing words, it wouldn't be a surprise to see Nissan go the same way. It's already taken the first step.

The Japan-EU trade deal - something that the UK simply won't be able to replicate - has accelerated this. And this is touted by Honda themselves as a major influence on their decision. One of the reasons for that is that it's unlikely - given the Jihadist capture (Irish extremists plus the ETG cult) of the Tory party and the prostration of the opposition - that there will be anything like truly 'frictionless' trade between the EU and the UK. It will be easier to do business with the EU directly from Japan rather than the tangled mess of whatever trade deal eventually - in five, ten or more years, eventually emerges between Britain and Europe.

AS for 'global trends', this is also not about Honda retrenching to Japan. The company still maintains plants across the world - even Pakistan has less trouble hanging on to its Honda factory than the cretinous political class and their cult followers in the UK.

Pakistan managed to keep their car manufacturing you say? Hmm. Nothing to do with a general move to the tech heavy cheaper east then?

“This is not about Brexit for us”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another View

Sir David Warren, the British ambassador to Japan from 2008 to 2012, has said “The idea that Brexit uncertainty is irrelevant to this is fanciful. How are Honda supposed to calculate the costs and benefits of staying in the UK in the overall global context against such lack of clarity on the future terms of trade?”

Warren said Brexit supporters who seized on Honda’s statement were missing the point. With five weeks to go to the deadline, the UK was yet to clarify whether it would leave the EU without any deal, or on the basis of a deal that simply deferred discussion of trading terms to the next stage of negotiations.

The Japanese government would be “privately conscious of the danger of the massively important UK/Japan trade and investment relationship – and other foreign direct investment – being held hostage by an internal debate within the Conservative party that it is proving difficult to resolve”.

Another View

Sir David Warren, the British ambassador to Japan from 2008 to 2012, has said “The idea that Brexit uncertainty is irrelevant to this is fanciful. How are Honda supposed to calculate the costs and benefits of staying in the UK in the overall global context against such lack of clarity on the future terms of trade?”

Warren said Brexit supporters who seized on Honda’s statement were missing the point. With five weeks to go to the deadline, the UK was yet to clarify whether it would leave the EU without any deal, or on the basis of a deal that simply deferred discussion of trading terms to the next stage of negotiations.

The Japanese government would be “privately conscious of the danger of the massively important UK/Japan trade and investment relationship – and other foreign direct investment – being held hostage by an internal debate within the Conservative party that it is proving difficult to resolve”.

If that was the case why didn't Nissan just say so?

If that was the case why didn't Nissan just say so?

Because Nissan and Honda and all the other companies planning to move production out of the UK still want to sell cars here. You don't sell cars by alienating the Brexit loving half of the market. Instead you say something anodyne.

Because Nissan and Honda and all the other companies planning to move production out of the UK still want to sell cars here. You don't sell cars by alienating the Brexit loving half of the market. Instead you say something anodyne.

‘It’s not you.. it’s me.’

Bizarre that people don't get that simple point.

Honda have played an absolute blinder.

They just say it's not Brexit and the swivel-eyed swallow it and crow like it's some kind of victory. Absolute blinder.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1Q81YW?__twitter_impression=true

Aviva Insurance is going to shift nine billion pounds out of the UK into Ireland. The transaction will process on 22:59 on 29th March 2019.

Apparently its all to to do with diesel engines or something.

Exactly my point, They have said it is due to Brexit, no need to say something anodyne.

Exactly my point, They have said it is due to Brexit, no need to say something anodyne.
For one, they had to give that reason to a judge in court, where anodyne might not wash when there's 9 billion quid at stake.

Secondly banking doesn't quite have that emotional pull as car manufacturing does, either as a product people are interested in buying or as an industry of workers that people feel an affinity with, so won't be under the same microscope.

Also, they won't have lots of plausible other reasons.

And, of course, there's probably not that many jobs at obvious and immediate threat from this. There won't be reporters speaking to honest workers trudging into the Aviva office like there was in Swindon earlier this week.

Lastly, bankers really don't give a fu ck. Yeah it's Brexit. You all voted for it, we'll take our money elsewhere.

Edited by CB Fry

For one, they had to give that reason to a judge in court, where anodyne might not wash when there's 9 billion quid at stake.

Secondly banking doesn't quite have that emotional pull as car manufacturing does, either as a product people are interested in buying or as an industry of workers that people feel an affinity with, so won't be under the same microscope.

Also, they won't have lots of plausible other reasons.

And, of course, there's probably not that many jobs at obvious and immediate threat from this. There won't be reporters speaking to honest workers trudging into the Aviva office like there was in Swindon earlier this week.

Lastly, bankers really don't give a fu ck. Yeah it's Brexit. You all voted for it, we'll take our money elsewhere.

No one, except the odd loon, is going to not buy a car because they mentioned Brexit, hundreds of companies with products to sell have spoken out against it, even Nissan mentioned it in their descision.

Their descision was explained very clearly on radio 5 yesterday. Because of the shift from diesel to electric/hybrid there requires massive investment and it made sense to invest in fewer locations so Swindon was going to close regardless of wether we were in the EU or not.

No one, except the odd loon, is going to not buy a car because they mentioned Brexit, hundreds of companies with products to sell have spoken out against it, even Nissan mentioned it in their descision.

Their descision was explained very clearly on radio 5 yesterday. Because of the shift from diesel to electric/hybrid there requires massive investment and it made sense to invest in fewer locations so Swindon was going to close regardless of wether we were in the EU or not.

Why does it make sense to invest in fewer locations, especially when those locations serve a localised market and they receive massive subsidies to be there? Why not invest in the factories in the UK to build these cars?

Nissan haven't announced shutting the entire factory down. Yet.

As for loons, well, people who would prefer this country simply remained in the same trading/political framework we have had for the last 40 years are called "traitors" and worse as a matter of course these days.

That fu ckwit Tory MP ranting on about the war in response to Airbus. Union jack flagwaving types saying they'd rather eat grass if it meant we were out of the EU and that rationing would good for the country. Multiply that by a hostile media environment and it doesn't take a genius Public Relations chief to advise Honda on exactly what they did.

The effing "loons" are dominating the entire political direction of the country sunshine.

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1Q81YW?__twitter_impression=true

Aviva Insurance is going to shift nine billion pounds out of the UK into Ireland. The transaction will process on 22:59 on 29th March 2019.

Apparently its all to to do with diesel engines or something.

The Irish have a unique corporation tax that is there to draw employment and business. It is an unfair advantage against all other EU countries. Their argument is that they only have a few million people and so cant do industry and so need this tax break to bring investment in. Once the EU dont allow that anymore the big companies will move again.

Perhaps when we leave we will do the same.

If only all this had been clear when the vote was made, but even if there is a 2nd referendum the damage is already done. It is death by a thousand cuts.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction