• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

So, I asked this the other day, and didn't get an answer.

Does a no deal Brexit lead to a hard border in Ireland, and does it therefore contravene the GFA?

Post #9122 ;"The WTO trade rules would not require a 'hard' border, but the EU Single Market almost certainly would."

#9126 ;"Without an agreement the EU will have to impose strict border controls, the Single Market necessitates this. Without it, for instance, what is to stop somebody importing goods into NI from elsewhere under WTO tariffs that are lower than those of the EU, and then simply shipping these goods across a 'soft' border into Eire. One of the main criticisms of the 'smart' customs solutions is that they cannot 'see inside sealed trucks'."

Edited by badgerx16

Post #9122 ;"The WTO trade rules would not require a 'hard' border, but the EU Single Market almost certainly would."

#9126 ;"Without an agreement the EU will have to impose strict border controls, the Single Market necessitates this. Without it, for instance, what is to stop somebody importing goods into NI from elsewhere under WTO tariffs that are lower than those of the EU, and then simply shipping these goods across a 'soft' border into Eire. One of the main criticisms of the 'smart' customs solutions is that they cannot 'see inside sealed trucks'."

SO, basically the EU is saying F**K the Irish?

Apologies, must have missed those.

No, because they've offered us a deal. It's our Government saying "**** the Irish" if we don't extend article 50.

Question is if all the other 27 countries will go along when the UK wants to extend article 50. As the majority of European companies are not prepared for any kind of Brexit, it would make sense for both the EU and the UK to postpone in order to have less economic damage. Yet we hear the EU is only willing to postpone when May assures there will be a second referendum or GE. Just hardball tactics or is the EU really willing to damage it’s own economy just to teach the UK a lesson?

Question is if all the other 27 countries will go along when the UK wants to extend article 50. As the majority of European companies are not prepared for any kind of Brexit, it would make sense for both the EU and the UK to postpone in order to have less economic damage. Yet we hear the EU is only willing to postpone when May assures there will be a second referendum or GE. Just hardball tactics or is the EU really willing to damage it’s own economy just to teach the UK a lesson?

They'll be prepped to vote that way, as otherwise it ****s over Ireland.

Nah, she's met with all the other leaders to try to thrash out what would be accepted. Guess who doesn't want to be involved? The one who doesn't know what he doesn't like and what he does want.

He is a joke. Can’t even win a vote of no confidence against a PM with the worst defeat on record.

People’s champ and all that

****ing hell, Corbyn's decided not to meet the PM to discuss Brexit.

He's a ****ing joke.

Maybe he’s crafted an amazing Machiavellian plan to stop brexit and claim the votes of the majority whilst simultaneously forcing the Tory party to tear itself apart. Or he’s a fivkwit

OK it's taken her over two years to invite him, forgive my surprise that it finally happened 9 weeks before we crash out on a no deal.

I just assume you would have at least watched some of what has happened tonight, before deciding to comment, as otherwise you just end up looking like someone who will defend Corbyn at every turn without any substance for it.

As an aside, the rest of the leaders have been there - do you think Corbyn should go?

She can’t take no deal off the table...it’s law it will happen. Or am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of course she can. She can propose legislation to revoke Article 50. How do you think the law is changed coleslaw?

#mess

Edited by shurlock

A matter of days before Brexit and now May wants to discuss it with the other leaders! After two years of wrestling with her own party.

What a mess.

So there is two ways of looking at this. First of all, get a majority using her own party, the DUP, and any potential Labour MPs that don't want a "no deal". That will have been her plan, before giving concessions to other parties. I think she underestimated how poor her deal was.

I just assume you would have at least watched some of what has happened tonight, before deciding to comment, as otherwise you just end up looking like someone who will defend Corbyn at every turn without any substance for it.

As an aside, the rest of the leaders have been there - do you think Corbyn should go?

I was watching the football, weren't you?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction