• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Lets face it whatever happens you'll keep whinging & blaming Brexit. As if staying in will mean growth forever & ever. Here's my prediction, in the next 50 years there will be growth, recessions & normal economic cycles , in or out of the EUSSR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Membership of the EU kept the UK socially, economically and politically broadly in the centre and with safeguards on the environment, food hygiene, workers rights and technical standards. The benefits of membership are overwhelming, the benefits of leaving are a pipe dream based on political dogma. Was it a coincidence that the vast majority of leave MP's were and still are right wing Tories? That should say it all, this is about furthering their vested interest and naked English nationalism.

Membership of the EU kept the UK socially, economically and politically broadly in the centre and with safeguards on the environment, food hygiene, workers rights and technical standards. The benefits of membership are overwhelming, the benefits of leaving are a pipe dream based on political dogma. Was it a coincidence that the vast majority of leave MP's were and still are right wing Tories? That should say it all, this is about furthering their vested interest and naked English nationalism.

Even some of the right wingers are waking up to the lunacy and gross incompetence of the May government's approach - such as it is - to Brexit.

Dominic Cummings, a true Brexit Jihadist, has described the May regime as 'morons' for wanting to pull out of Euratom because it depends on recognition of the European Court of Justice for adjudication of disputes. The fact that this crosses May's so-called 'red line' against the ECJ jurisdiction is taken by said morons to trump the fact that the British nuclear industry would quickly run out of fuel without Euratom membership.

So as before - Lord Pony and other ill-informed jihadists should start applying more critical thought to their unquestioning support of May et al. Leave it to May - and associated fools like Davis, Johnson and Fox - and the turmoil will result in no Brexit at all.

What we'll end up with on the current trajectory is two+ years of chaos causing huge damage to the UK economy, followed by an inevitable belly flop back into the EU.

Even some of the right wingers are waking up to the lunacy and gross incompetence of the May government's approach - such as it is - to Brexit.

Dominic Cummings, a true Brexit Jihadist, has described the May regime as 'morons' for wanting to pull out of Euratom because it depends on recognition of the European Court of Justice for adjudication of disputes. The fact that this crosses May's so-called 'red line' against the ECJ jurisdiction is taken by said morons to trump the fact that the British nuclear industry would quickly run out of fuel without Euratom membership.

So as before - Lord Pony and other ill-informed jihadists should start applying more critical thought to their unquestioning support of May et al. Leave it to May - and associated fools like Davis, Johnson and Fox - and the turmoil will result in no Brexit at all.

What we'll end up with on the current trajectory is two+ years of chaos causing huge damage to the UK economy, followed by an inevitable belly flop back into the EU.

Is calling people jihadists meant to be funny?

Guess in the muddled world of left-wingers, wanting to leave the EU is on a par with blowing up innocent kids. They certainly seem to find the idea more upsetting than actual terrorism.

Any funnier than EUSSR, a play on a dictatorship that was responsible for the death of millions, pal?

As usual, you can give it but you can't take it. Quit whining.

Edited by shurlock

Looks like Misselbrook has been sending threatening PMs to Chalet as well.

Ironically he didn't actually report the post. Therefore I assume he was content to leave it published. However, it was fecking boring off topic cock waving all round - so I deleted it all.

Ironically he didn't actually report the post. Therefore I assume he was content to leave it published. However, it was fecking boring off topic cock waving all round - so I deleted it all.

I think there was a lot of laughter and entertainment from the thread posters. Was turning into a golden thread. Shame

Interesting detail about the Article 50 letter May sent along to Tusk in March - it included specifically that the UK would withdraw from Euratom. The Labour party manifesto equally makes specific reference to Euratom - saying that retaining full membership of it would be an essential part of any Labour-influenced Brexit.

Given her careless mislaying of her majority, May now faces the possibility of having to cave to get Labour support, and of having to go back to Tusk to drop a key proposal in the Article 50 announcement. He may or may not agree to accede.

With that, the Brexit Caliphate will take one small but significant step away from becoming reality...

Brexit voter murdered after brutal attack by Remain supporter in row over EU referendum:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/brexit-supporter-attack-eu-referendum-european-union-remain-manchester-a7362956.html

Disgusting and indefensible but get your facts right Jihadi John: he wasn't murdered.

Dunn was not charged with murder or manslaughter after a pathologist ruled that Mr Keating did not die as a direct result of the injuries he inflicted.

Did they teach you reading at pompey university pal? Sad!

Edited by shurlock

The May government has finally chickened out of publishing the names of countries involved in funding of violent Islamist extremism for fear of offending the no 1 source of that funding - Saudi Arabia.

Taking sides with the chief state sponsor of Jihadism is the natural outcome for those with a hard Brexit Caliphate in mind.

If the cap fits...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/12/uk-terror-funding-report-will-not-be-published-for-national-security-reasons

The May government has finally chickened out of publishing the names of countries involved in funding of violent Islamist extremism for fear of offending the no 1 source of that funding - Saudi Arabia.

Taking sides with the chief state sponsor of Jihadism is the natural outcome for those with a hard Brexit Caliphate in mind.

If the cap fits...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jul/12/uk-terror-funding-report-will-not-be-published-for-national-security-reasons

Wrong thread.

Nothing for workers in the Taylor Report; nothing for citizens in the Repeal Bill; nothing for the environment anywhere. And Henry VIIIth clauses -'The Minister will have power to do what s/he likes'. What *exactly* is Brexit going to do for us? Maybe some trade deals (sometime) with countries at least 5x further away than the furthest part of the EU - the US, Canada, Australia - with the increased transport costs.

Come on Brexiteers - what good things are we going to get?

Nothing for workers in the Taylor Report; nothing for citizens in the Repeal Bill; nothing for the environment anywhere. And Henry VIIIth clauses -'The Minister will have power to do what s/he likes'. What *exactly* is Brexit going to do for us? Maybe some trade deals (sometime) with countries at least 5x further away than the furthest part of the EU - the US, Canada, Australia - with the increased transport costs.

Come on Brexiteers - what good things are we going to get?

I'm neutral on brexit, but what we'll presumably gain by leaving are the things the electorate voted for, not just the economy or the environment.

I'm neutral on brexit, but what we'll presumably gain by leaving are the things the electorate voted for, not just the economy or the environment.

I truly believe that a sizeable proportion of the electorate - especially the older, less educated, less well-off sections of society to be frank about it - would struggle to understand the difference between the ECJ and a RSJ and instead sized upon that referendum as a opportunity to kick what they perceived as "the establishment" in the pants and express their sense of general dissatisfaction with their lot in life. When given a chance to complain it is only to be expected that some will take advantage of that I suppose - however counter-productive that may be in the long term. The barrage of outright lies peddled by much of the press and shameless political opportunists - such as our next Prime Minister Boris Johnson for example - during the referendum campaign was also deeply damaging to the national interest.

So here we are, a (51.9%) foolish people lead by a bunch of equally foolish and conniving politicians into a course of action that can only harm us all and there seems absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop it. What is more, it's even pretty hard to argue that we as a nation don't deserve that which we are about to receive I'm sorry to say. That damn referendum has left our old nation in a situation that can only be described as a even deepening "omnishambles" that our political class seem destined to spend the next twenty years, or so, attempting to sort out - a torturous exercise in "damage limitation" the like of which most Britain's have not seen during their life times.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

I truly believe that a sizeable proportion of the electorate - especially the older, less educated, less well-off sections of society to be frank about it - would struggle to understand the difference between the ECJ and a RSJ and instead sized upon that referendum as a opportunity to kick what they perceived as "the establishment" in the pants and express their sense of general dissatisfaction with their lot in life. When given a chance to complain it is only to be expected that some will take advantage of that I suppose - however counter-productive that may be in the long term. The barrage of outright lies peddled by much of the press and shameless political opportunists - such as our next Prime Minister Boris Johnson for example - during the referendum campaign was also deeply damaging to the national interest.

So here we are, a (51.9%) foolish people lead by a bunch of equally foolish and conniving politicians into a course of action that can only harm us all and there seems absolutely nothing anyone can do to stop it. What is more, it's even pretty hard to argue that we as a nation don't deserve that which we are about to receive I'm sorry to say. That damn referendum has left our old nation in a situation that can only be described as a even deepening "omnishambles" that our political class seem destined to spend the next twenty years, or so, attempting to sort out - a torturous exercise in "damage limitation" the like of which most Britain's have not seen during their life times.

Well done, 100 remoaner points for you! :lol:

"Anyone" had the opportunity to "stop it" at the general election a few weeks ago, by voting for a non pro-Brexit party.

Don't worry, there's plenty of time for our leaders to dress up not leaving at all as a solution that delivers everything we want.

"Anyone" had the opportunity to "stop it" at the general election a few weeks ago, by voting for a non pro-Brexit party.

Yeah, that is a semi fair point I suppose - had everyone who opposes Brexit somehow all voted Lib-Dem collectively at the last election then we be heading in a different direction now. But you do understand I hope that was never going to happen in the real world where our main opposition party doesn't actually "oppose" Brexit, because its leader dislikes the Single Market for ideological reasons that are very far from why some of those on the right also want us out of the EU.

I call this situation "the nexus of crap".

I meant that there are some clear "things" that will come about because of brexit regardless of any opinions on their value. IMHO, swathes of voters were persuaded by the end of freedom of movement and a return to full border control, an end to our EU contributions, UK laws taking precedence again, confirmation of an independent UK military, and the one which doesn't seem to have been discussed much, the final scuppering of any idea of scrapping sterling and joining the eurozone. The pros and cons of any of these are open to debate, but they are tangible concepts put before the voters and now inevitable unless we abort the process (which I personally think would be disastrous at this stage.)

I meant that there are some clear "things" that will come about because of brexit regardless of any opinions on their value. IMHO, swathes of voters were persuaded by the end of freedom of movement and a return to full border control, an end to our EU contributions, UK laws taking precedence again, confirmation of an independent UK military, and the one which doesn't seem to have been discussed much, the final scuppering of any idea of scrapping sterling and joining the eurozone. The pros and cons of any of these are open to debate, but they are tangible concepts put before the voters and now inevitable unless we abort the process (which I personally think would be disastrous at this stage.)

I must say that while you claim to be agnostic on the issue you come across here as a "Leaver". I seem to recall that one of (the many) arguments put forward re "freedom of movement" was that Brexit would somehow prevent the many millions of Turks who were (apparently) about to descend on our shores from arriving here. You will agree I hope that this particular piece of xenophobic scaremongering was more a clear misrepresentation of the truth rather than another of your "debatable" matters.

Doesn't the 'Great Repeal Bill' make every current piece of EU sourced legislation into a 'UK Law' ?

Yep. But it can then be changed through primary legislation or Acts of Parliament. In principle, Parliament could get rid of the lot. The reality is that there are strong pressures on UK companies to continue complying with EU regulation - that is, unless you feel you can sell cheap junk to far-flung markets.

This piece is very good on the prospect that European rules are likely to prevail throughout the Brexit Caliphate economy whatever the government does.

https://www.ft.com/content/fd5ca278-6654-11e7-8526-7b38dcaef614

The crazy thing is the vast majority of people did vote for non pro Brexit MPs it's just that since the refurendum the two main parties have adopted a policy of seeing through the refurendum result at any cost through fear of appearing undemocratic. I expect if the MPs were asked off the record the vast majority would want to bin the whole Brexit thing.

I have always been leaning towards being pro Brexit but can't see the current government doing anything other than make a complete mess of it. The logical thing is to have a second vote when we know the two options - at the moment it is like watching a slow-motion car crash.

I must say that while you claim to be agnostic on the issue you come across here as a "Leaver". I seem to recall that one of (the many) arguments put forward re "freedom of movement" was that Brexit would somehow prevent the many millions of Turks who were (apparently) about to descend on our shores from arriving here. You will agree I hope that this particular piece of xenophobic scaremongering was more a clear misrepresentation of the truth rather than another of your "debatable" matters.

I didn't vote either way, but my preferred result would have been as narrow as possible a remain verdict. It should never have been put to a vote in the first place, but if there had been a significant win for remaining it would have been pounced on by the next pro European UK government as an excuse to drag us farther in than we already were, probably including eurozone entry (which was what blair tried, lucky for us brown had the balls to face him down on it.) Looking at where we are now it would be self destructive not to follow it through.

https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/brexit-govt-admits-first-time-will-settle-financial-obligations-eu-092243907.html

"

The UK has conceded for the first time that it will continue its commitment to any financial obligations to the European Union after it leaves the single market.

In a written statement by Brexit secretary David Davis, said the government ‘recognised’ its obligations to the single market “that will survive the UK’s withdrawal”."

As coincidences go, that's up there with the best. I'm currently sat in the Banana Bar in C'an Picafort, Mallorca. True (straw man) story 1343fd306c823ba462e8d1412427f8ea.jpg

(And, no, that isn't a Glasgow-esque stock photo of said establishment...)

The bearded man on the left has put something in your drink. (and I'm not talking about Jeremy Corbyn)

Brexit will be a disaster for two reasons. Firstly it makes little practical sense. And secondly, the government we are landed with has neither the leadership nor ability to deliver anything.

Brexit will be a disaster for two reasons. Firstly it makes little practical sense. And secondly, the government we are landed with has neither the leadership nor ability to deliver anything.

And thirdly, the Labour party is led by equally clueless gimps. Here's the supposedly bright new thing Rebecca Long-Bailey, aping BoJo's much-discredited line 'having our cake and eat it.'

In the same interview she even uses the phrase 'Brexit means Brexit'

https://twitter.com/daily_politics/status/886535987572031489

The ignorance emanating from the two main parties - more than a year on from the referendum and while negotiations are running down the clock - is utterly mind-blowing.

No wonder the EU negotiators are reduced to open-mouthed amazement, forced to ask 'What do you want?' of British negotiators.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/15/indecision-brexit-eu-negotiations-diplomats-no-compromise

And thirdly, the Labour party is led by equally clueless gimps. Here's the supposedly bright new thing Rebecca Long-Bailey, aping BoJo's much-discredited line 'having our cake and eat it.'

The ignorance emanating from the two main parties - more than a year on from the referendum and while negotiations are running down the clock - is utterly mind-blowing.

No wonder the EU negotiators are reduced to open-mouthed amazement, forced to ask 'What do you want?' of British negotiators.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/jul/15/indecision-brexit-eu-negotiations-diplomats-no-compromise

Give me Stella Creasy any day.

So you run down both parties "cake & eat it " approach, before then asking " what do they want". Isn't it ****ing obvious what they want? Whether we'll get it is another question, but to claim people don't know what we want is pure **** witterey.

Make your mind up what you're attacking both parties for. Is it that they're asking for something that's impossible, or is it you don't know what they're asking for, it can't be both.

Is Dr Who now a chick? Fair play. Isn't the Dr hundreds of years old, I hope she's on HRT otherwise she'll be unbearable

She could just fast forward a few days when she's about to go on the blob as well. Time travel and that.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction