• Leave Before - Leave Now
    • Leave Before - Remain Now
    • Leave Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Remain Before - Remain Now
    • Remain Before - Leave Now
    • Remain Before - Not Bothered Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Leave Now
    • Not Bothered Before - Remain Now
    • I've never been bothered - Why am I on this Thread?
    • No second Ref - 2016 was Definitive and Binding

Caroline Spelman's amendment passes. But is not binding on the Government

"Caroline Spelman MP has gained considerable Labour support for her amendment that ‘rejects’ no deal. Now it’s possible to argue whether it’s logically possible to vote to force the EU to agree a deal when the Commons has voted down the Prime Minister’s deal. Logic is not a bar to amendments, however, and it may gain support from the ‘no no deal’ crowd. However, it is legally meaningless as it’s not binding. The Government will never have to work through its faulty logic."

What a massive waste of time the upshot of all this is May is now going to go back and try re-negotiate the back stop, she all ready agreed to, with the EU who have said they won't negotiate on the backstop. They should have just put the deal back to a second "Do you want to except the deal or a no deal" referendum just let the public decide and take party politics out of the whole thing.

They should have just put the deal back to a second "Do you want to except the deal or a no deal" referendum just let the public decide and take party politics out of the whole thing.

You really think the Davos crowd will accept a vote without Remain on ballot. It’s not about taking party politics out of it, it’s about staying in the EU

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

They don't exist, the vote was simply asking Tessie to go away and come back with a solution that is not the 'backstop'.

At the moment both ERG Tories and the remain / soft Tory wing think they will get what they want. The ERG think it means facing down the EU and the soft wing think it means a customs union. One is going to be very disappointed. So really its just more of the same, a bit more can kicking and the inevitable request for an A50 extension. .

Well the lunatics have truly taken over the asylum now.

Wonder how well things will work out in the long run when you have over 16 million of the population subjected to hardship against their will, with a prolonged period of less than 20% representation in Parliament.

Good luck Brexiteers ball is in your court now, be prepared to face the consequences if you fail to deliver the Unicorns......

At the moment both ERG Tories and the remain / soft Tory wing think they will get what they want. The ERG think it means facing down the EU and the soft wing think it means a customs union. One is going to be very disappointed. So really its just more of the same, a bit more can kicking and the inevitable request for an A50 extension. .

We will have to give the EU a reason to agree to an extension though, either a general election, referendum or change in the red lines, it won't be granted just so MPs can negotiate among themselves indefinitely. The only thing we can do unilaterally is revoke A50, or agree to the deal as it is, or turn into the European Venezuela.

Just think, had Dominic Grieve not insisted on a meaningful vote the ERG wouldn’t have any leverage over May. That, and Miller going to court to ensure Parliament triggered A50, have turned out to be 2 very helpful events for Brexiters. When we’re out, I’ll raise a glass to both of them.

Tonight I’ll spare a thought for Pixie Cooper, not only did she lose her vote, she’s got to go home to Ed Balls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep, looks like it. Time to look at moving out of this ****hole of a country then.

Why is that? May’s already pledged to allow MPs to vote on another amendable parliamentary motion in mid-Feb (like we saw yesterday) if her deal doesn’t pass. For now many MPs decided to hold fire -not ideal as it’s simply to indulge the headbangers fantasy that the backstop can be fundamentally renegotiated and more time will have passed, increasing the risk of leaving without agreement by “accident”. But they believe they’ll get another bite of the cherry.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of Brexit, but why vote up a mandate that the EU have no interest in doing? Parliament is a shambles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the ERG - To increase chances of a no deal outcome, because they know the position is unacceptable to the EU.

For May and the Government - To start the process of deflecting blame for a poor outcome on to the EU. Prepare to see a lot more of ‘Well we went to the EU with the best intentions, but they bullied us and forced us into putting a hard border in Ireland / all shortages and job losses are the fault of the tyrannical EU’ etc.

I don’t pretend to understand the ins and outs of Brexit, but why vote up a mandate that the EU have no interest in doing? Parliament is a shambles .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because May and her allies hope by running down the clock, more MPs will get behind her deal in the face of a disastrous no deal. Because the swivels in the ERG know by running down the clock, they’re closer to crashing out without a deal which is the default legal position. And because for some Tory MPs, party unity is everything, however short-term and illusory.

Why is that? May’s already pledged to allow MPs to vote on another amendable parliamentary motion in mid-Feb (like we saw yesterday) if her deal doesn’t pass. For now many MPs decided to hold fire -not ideal as it’s simply to indulge the headbangers fantasy that the backstop can be fundamentally renegotiated and more time will have passed, increasing the risk of leaving without agreement by “accident”. But they believe they’ll get another bite of the cherry.

Yeah, I heard that last night as well. I won't have sales finalised on assets by then anyway, this will be more towards the end of the year, but will certainly put the wheels in motion in terms of getting them marketed. I just think this is a good indication of what will now follow.

Just as an aside, in relation to bringing money back from Europe, am I best to wait until April and the final outcome, hedge now, or something else? The money went out there Jan 2016, at 1.44, so whatever happens I've done alright out of it.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/new-advice-for-travellers-visiting-the-uk-eu-or-european-economic-area-in-the-event-of-a-no-deal-eu-exit

So ex-pats will likely have no healthcare if 'No deal' is reached - so it won't be the Europeans clogging up the NHS, it'll be fellow countrymen coming back from the EU to get operations.

Great news.

Because May and her allies hope by running down the clock, more MPs will get behind her deal in the face of a disastrous no deal. Because the swivels in the ERG know by running down the clock, they’re closer to crashing out without a deal which is the default legal position. And because for some Tory MPs, party unity is everything, however short-term and illusory.

I agree it probably won’t happen except by accident but you can’t underestimate the huge and permanent damage this three year long pantomime has done to the UK’s reputation as a reliable steady and predictable place for businesses to base themselves. My organisation is just the latest to decide to relocate to Amsterdam.

No company with horizons broader than little ol England is going to base themselves in a provincial backwater which can offer absolutely no guidance about what it’s access to markets and labour will be like .

I agree it probably won’t happen except by accident but you can’t underestimate the huge and permanent damage this three year long pantomime has done to the UK’s reputation as a reliable steady and predictable place for businesses to base themselves. My organisation is just the latest to decide to relocate to Amsterdam.

No company with horizons broader than little ol England is going to base themselves in a provincial backwater which can offer absolutely no guidance about what it’s access to markets and labour will be like .

Indeed.

The company I am at is re-structuring due to Brexit and the harm it has one to the company over the last two years, so I am likely out of a job at the end of Feb - although will know more later today.

Has the internet not arrived at the Brexit Caliphate? You do know Jeffrey will still be able to post from Amsterdam, right?

TBF, it will be different timezones, but will only be 5 hours different so I'll still be able to log on and annoy him. Now to convince the missus that she doesn't need to be near her family...

Why do you exhibit such a bitter persona on this thread ?

So Jeff throwing his toys out of the pram in a fit of pique and calling this country a sh*thole because the Remoaners lost their votes last night wasn't him exhibiting a bitter persona?

He shouldn't be such a drama queen.

TBF, it will be different timezones, but will only be 5 hours different so I'll still be able to log on and annoy him. Now to convince the missus that she doesn't need to be near her family...

But console yourself that you will be able to be near your family in Canada, was it? I suspect that when you have put yourself thousands of miles distant, you will soon lose interest in events over here. You can always return though in a few years when the UK is thriving post Brexit.

But console yourself that you will be able to be near your family in Canada, was it? I suspect that when you have put yourself thousands of miles distant, you will soon lose interest in events over here. You can always return though in a few years when the UK is thriving post Brexit.

You actually think that? I thought you were just in the camp of "it won't be any worse". You actually think we'll be thriving? You are a ****ing nutjob mate.

You do realise how large Canada is don't you? Where we plan to move to, we will still be over 2000 miles from them (compared to 3500 from the ones in the UK).

Anyway, nothing to worry about here for you, I'm just starting the process.

Edited by Unbelievable Jeff

Hang on, didn't JRM say that it could be up to 50 years before we knew if Brexit was a success ?

No, he didn't. This is a lie, put about by the Remoaner press as part of their campaign to discredit one of the people they fear most on the Leave side.

If you bothered to read what he actually said, instead of being gullible enough to accept this propaganda at face value, he said “The overwhelming opportunity for Brexit is over the next 50 years.”

I'm sure that you are intelligent enough to recognise that this statement does not mean that it will only be after 50 years before we see the opportunities that Brexit will bring.

If somebody told you that your new born son could expect to lead a life overwhelmingly filled with opportunity over the next 50 years, would you believe that to mean that he would have to wait until he was 50 to have the benefits of this opportunity?

• Lighthouse changed the title to Brexit - Post Match Reaction